Chapter 5

Lost Cause

 “Good morning Byunghun oppa” Nara’s sweet voice echoed through his head.

Byunghun’s head double-took at his friend’s voice. She stood by the bathroom door in a simple silk bathrobe, loosely tied around her so that her cleavage was displayed proudly. Of course, Byunghun didn’t look; it would have been weird to.

He looked at the state he was in. Just boxer shorts. And a blanket.

He held onto his head as soon as a pang of pain shot through his head, seizing each cell until it felt like it would burst. His dropped back into the bed. Nara rushed to his aid and fed him an aspirin and a glass of water. Although the pain subsided a little, it didn’t go away completely.

“What happened?” Byunghun finally asked. Nara giggled and sat down on the bed next to him, “What do you think happened oppa?”

Byunghun gave her a confused look, “Oppa? You never call me that?”

She smiled, making her eyes go into a crescent shape and said, “It’s what I called you last night” before jumping off the bed and heading out of the room.

Byunghun was left dumbfounded by the situation. ‘No, we couldn’t...no, not Nara’

He gripped onto his hair in frustration. Everything was so complicated. He had cheated on his arranged wife with his supposed friend, who now thinks that they’re in some sort of relationship. Byunghun hated this; he was the sort to be unfaithful in any sort of relationship. It just wasn’t him.

“Argh, what have I done?”

 

Many hours later Iseul woke up to the feel of bouncing on her bed. Her body jumped up and down a little until he finally sat up and tried to examine what was going on.

“Noona!” Ricky suddenly stopped jumping on the bed and hugged Iseul tightly, almost throwing her back into the bed. Her cold had almost gone by now. All she had was the slight sniffles.

“Err, what’s wrong?” Iseul managed to say. The younger boy sat up at pouted, “I’m hungry noona and no one wants to make me breakfast”

Iseul smiled. He reminded her of a little child, needy but cute. “Okay then, let me just wash up and I’ll be with you”

As the both of them were about to separate, Iseul had the urge to ask whether Byunghun had returned. She shook her head of the thought. No. She wouldn’t do that. She promised herself not to care anymore.

Soon after she was finished, she entered the living room to be met by five boys.

Iseul blinked as to why they all stood in a row, blocking the kitchen. “Hey guys,” she said cautiously, “What would you like for breakfast?”

As she was about to head for the kitchen door, they blocked her again. Chunji spoke up first, “Why don’t we go out to eat instead! We can get a McDonald’s breakfast!”

“Yeah!” Changjo chimed along with Niel. Iseul scrutinized her eyes over the boys, who smiled nervously.

“Ok, why don’t you want me to go in the kitchen?” She said bluntly, “Did you guys do something?”

“No” Ricky defended. CAP nudged him, “We just don’t want you to slave away for us” he smiled.

Just as Iseul was about to agree, there was clattering coming from the kitchen. Too loud to be gone unheard. She looked at the boys; all sharing the same anxious look. They were hiding something.

Iseul marched forward and twisted the door knob and swung the door open. At the dining table sat Byunghun, cradling his pounding head in his hands and Nara rushing around the cooker.

It really was a picture. A picture that pained Iseul’s heart more than it ever had done before. She wanted it to be her taking care of her husband. But that would unlikely.

She shook those feelings away again and a cold expression feigned across her face. “What are you doing here Byunghun? I kicked you out!”

The boys stood silently behind Iseul. Byunghun looked up, squinting. Nara smirked and stepped forward, “Iseul-ssi, Byunghun oppa lives here. The house is under his name”

Niel’s lips curled in a disgusted smirk, “Byunghun oppa? Sorry, but eww Nara, what are you thinking?”

Nara glared, “Hey” she snapped, “I can call him what I want”

Iseul’s fists clench and her teeth grinded so hard that in hurt her jaws, “You’re forgetting the house is under my name too! And I don’t want him or you here”

Nara snorted, “What about them?” nodding her head to the five boys behind her. Iseul looked behind her and smiled at them, “What? I have no problem with them”

Nara looked at her in disbelief and then at the boys, “The hell, so you’ve decided to be nice to her now? Whatever happened to all those planned pranks?” Her tone was rising.

Byunghun stood up abruptly, scraping his chair on the tiled floors, “Shut up all of you! Your voices are giving me a freaking headache!”

Nara looked at him dumbfounded, “Do you want another aspirin?”

Byunghun pressed his lips together, “No, I do not! I just want to sleep in my own bed!”  He stormed out of the kitchen and headed for the bedroom upstairs. There was only one bedroom in the house. He had never needed to sleep in his bed, the same as Iseul’s, because he would always pass out in the living room.

Nara hurried after him, calling his name.

Iseul and her new friends were left in silent.

“You ok Iseul?” CAP asked. Iseul nodded quietly, “Breakfast right? Come and sit! I’ll make you the usual then Minsoo”

He chuckled lightly and gestured the others to follow Iseul’s orders.

 

Upstairs, Byunghun threw himself onto the bed. It was probably the first time he had even laid down in the same bed as Iseul’s. It smelt like her.

There was a knock on the door and Nara came cautiously in, “Oppa?”

Byunghun groaned inwardly, “Nara, I’ve told you stop calling me that. We’re the same age”

He felt her seat on the edge. He had his back faced her and his face buried in the pillow.

“I know...but how can you be so dense?” she said softly. Byunghun twitched, not fully understanding what she meant.

“I like you oppa. And if you haven’t realised by now, Iseul does too”

That last bit got his attention. He kept thinking of how impossible that it would be. The thoughts came back to him over and over again, not realising that Nara was still speaking.

“Oppa? Oppa! Are you listening to me?” Nara snapped for the second time that day. She screamed in frustration and left the room, shutting the door furiously.

Byunghun was still in the same position. As much as he wanted to think more of the situation, his drowsiness was winning and he fell asleep.

 

Nara stomped down the stairs and barged into the kitchen to grab her bag. She looked at how the boys were munching down their breakfast and Iseul serving up the last of the dishes. He anger boiled.

There was always something in the way and this time it was Iseul.

Not anymore.

Nara cleared , gaining their attention.

“Byunghun and I are together! It was confirmed last night” she her heel and left the house.

The plate in Iseul’s hand almost dropped but Ricky shot out his hand and caught it before it left a mess. The smile on her face wavered and her eyes lost the spark they had just a moment ago.

“Noona?”

Iseul enforced her smile back onto her face. A fake smile at that, “Eat up boys, I’ll make more if you want”

They looked at her warily but nodded, knowing that Iseul probably didn’t want to talk about it.

 

Waah! Hi! Been a while! What dya think guise?