Part 5: Sly Fox and Yeonji's Oppa

Alright Oppa?

 

       Brrring, brrring, brrring, brrring... Still in a daze, you shot your eyes open and switched off the alarm, feeling quite irritated. Yawning, you headed into the bathroom. Right, you were supposed to visit Yeonji today. After freshening up, you decided to just eat bread and jam for breakfast. You smiled recalling last night's incident. But then again, you also felt anxious thinking about your mother. I must know what is wrong with her! Sighing, you decided to head out.

     Yeonji's house was not too far away. It took only 15 minutes to go there by walking. Since the weather was very nice and warm, it felt nice walking the streets. The streets were not so much busy, there was a nice warmth from the winter sun. But after a few minutes, you realized something unusual. You felt as if someone was walking the same streets as you ever since you stepped out of your house, as if someone was following you. Slightly glancing back with the corner of your eyes, you spotted someone really suspicious. Indeed, someone was following you! You took longer steps to reach your destination as fast as you could. Just as you were going to cross the road, someone caught your shoulder. Startled and unable to escape, you turned back.

"Oh! Annyeonghaseyo~" you bowed and greeted.

"Annyeong..."

It was a girl, quite fragile and small in stature, her hair styled in a messy ponytail. Her face was pale and pretty but her thick framed glasses made her look geeky. She seemed to be young, might be even younger than you. She had piercing eyes and shot you an angry glare, making you confused.

"What's your name?" she raised her brow and asked.

"Uh...." You looked at her confusedly, "Waeyo?"

"Just say it!" she shouted. Scary...

You flinched and mumbled, "(y/n)..."

"Come, we need to talk, (y/n)-sshi."

She caught you hand with a tight grip and started to drag you. Confused and exasperated, you kept following her.

She kept dragging you until you reached a kind of café. The sign read 'Areum'. There were not many people in it, but it felt cozy. The interior was nice and intricate, a mix of modern and medieval. The girl checked the area and sat down in a table in the corner of the café. She took a look around and then glared at you.

"You ever heard of fullkpop.com?" Her voice was stern,

You nodded quickly. Obviously you knew fullkpop.com; it was the most popular kpop website on the internet. It always published the latest news and rumors of the industry before all other websites. And it was reliable as well. For some reason, you felt a twisted feeling in your stomach.

"I work for it." She kept her eyes fixed on your face.

You gulped, "Wah~ Amazing!" You tried to fool her with a fake smile.

She knitted her brows, "You do know why I am telling it to you, don't you?" She was interrupted by the waiter, "Uh... I'll take two cappuccinos, please." Seeing her smile gave you goose bumps. So scary!

After the waiter left, she looked back at you. You could see your constipated face reflected in her glasses.

"So... (y/n)-sshi? What do you say?" She had a slight cold smile on her face.

You kind of already had an idea that it was something related to EXO, or more specifically, Chen. This was what you were fearing, the media.

"N-no, I don't know!" you tried your best to give her an innocent look, "What do you mean?"

She her lips, "Jahmkanmanyo~" She searched her bag for something and took out her phone. After handling it for a while she put it on the desk and pushed it towards you. You took a look at it. It was a photo of you and Chen from that day in front of the SME building. Both of your faces could be seen so clearly that there was no doubt it was you. You gulped and realized you were sweating like crazy even though the café was air conditioned.

The girl smirked and pointed at the screen, "Look at the next photo."

You took a deep breath to stabilize your heart beat. Again, it was a photo of Chen carrying you in his arms. It must have happened when you had fainted that day.

"It-!" you were interrupted by her.

"The next photo, please~" She gave you a smile which sent chills down your spine. Scary as hell!

This one was in the convenience store that same day, the time when you took a selca with Chen. You peered at her with wide eyes.

"It's a misunderstanding!!" you slapped the table with your hand to prove your innocence. You could feel the bothered glares of the people around you. Uhoh.

"Will you please be a little quiet?" the girl whispered, "What do you have going on with Chen?"

"T-there's nothing!" you insisted, "In the second picture, I had fainted and he obviously did what any other human would do if they were in his place!"

"What about the other two then?"

"I...I can't explain all that..." You looked down. Even if you did explain everything to her, you knew she wouldn't believe you.

The girl snatched the phone back, "You two are dating, aren't you?"

"We are NOT! You are misunderstanding!!" you mumbled, "If we were dating, I would have happily announced it before you even pronounced it..."

Before the girl could speak, the waiter came and delivered your order.

The girl took a sip from her cup and spoke, "It's looking obvious something's going on. Although I doubt the fact, you are too ordinary looking and also... a foreigner."

"Please, it's not true, I swear. Yes, you are right, there's no way he would date a foreigner!" Saying that, for some reasons, hurt. But you thought at least that would convince her.

"How do I believe you, (y/n)-sshi~" She spoke sarcastically and gave an evil smile, "Well, whatever the truth is, you certainly don't want to ruin your oppa's reputation, do you?" So sly~

"What do you mean?"

"Well," she took another sip, "See, no matter what's the truth I'm going to leak these photos one way or the other. And you know how EXO-L's are, right? They are going to hate you and your oppa to the point of murder! Remember what happened with Baekhyun and Taeyeon? And on top of that, you are a commoner too..."

You felt scared and nervous. You quickly drank your coffee in an attempt to control your nerves, "But...tell me what to do? Why are you here? What do you want me to do?" You knew you had to keep shut. It was a matter of Chen's reputation and you had to protect it.

The girl smirked again, "Pay me 600,000 won (around $530) by 5 pm today, that'll keep me shut. If not, you know what'll happen. When you have the money, meet me at Yujin's Shalala. I'll be waiting."

The girl glared at you one last time and walked out of the café. You sat there for a while, speechless and anxious about what to do.

600,000 won!!? It was impossible for you. You barely earned 150,000 won (around $130) to pay off your living expenses. And since you were on a scholarship, you did not have to pay any tuition fees. There's no way you could get that much money in such a short time. You calculated in your head how much you had left at home. Just 70,000 won... (around $60) You slapped the table. It was not even close. You gasped and walked out of the café with a heavy head. Maybe Yeonji can help... So, you continued on to your initial destination. Yeonji lived in a small apartment on the 5th floor. You took the elevator. As you rang the doorbell, the door was immediately opened. It was a guy you had never seen before who opened the door. Is this the wrong flat!? But you clearly remembered her house. There could be no mistake. Then... Is he her boyfriend? Seeing the guy staring at you confusedly you decided to greet.

"Ah... annyeonghaseyo~" you bowed awkwardly.

"Annyeong~" he bowed back.

You stared at him awkwardly. He was quite hot... no, REALLY hot. He could easily pass of as a celebrity. His face seemed a bit familiar but you clearly knew you never saw him before. He was really tall and seemed to be the same age as you guys. He looked down at you and smiled. He must be Yeonji's boyfriend! Although she never mentioned it but you had assumed she was single. Then again, how could such a pretty girl like her remain single?

"Jeogi... is it Yeonji-ah's home? Kang Yeonji?" you tried to peek over his tall shoulders. He gave out a really handsome smile, "Ah! Mianhaeyo~ It is Yeonji-ah's home! Come on in!" He moved to the side and let you walk in.

"Oppa, who i-"

There she was, lying down on the couch, numerous packets of chips and chocolates scattered on the floor around her. Her face looked a bit puffy but she still looked pretty. She was munching on a cookie when you entered the room. You waved to her and smiled. Seeing her after so many days made you feel happy even though you were not having the best in your life.

"Chingu-yah~!!!" she immediately jumped up and hugged you tightly, "I missed you so so so so so much!!"

"Same here!" you patted her back gently, "How are you now?"

She sat down on the couch, "Ah... I'm better now."

"That's good." You smiled at her.

The handsome guy followed you into the room and started to pick up the scattered packets from the floor. "It's all because I took care of you!" he grinned.

Yeonji rolled her eyes and shouted, "Yeah, yeah, whatever!"

The guy shrugged and walked over to the kitchen. Just as he left, you took the chance and pushed Yeonji's elbow. "I didn't know you had a boyfriend! Why didn't you tell me before? And he's so hot..."

She gave you a confused glare, "What!!? Eww~ Ahneeyo ahneeyo AHNEEYO! He's my older brother!"

"What? You had a brother?"

"Didn't I tell you before?! Wait, I'll introduce you two~"

"Ah no... you didn't have to-"

"OPPAAA!!" Yeonji screamed as if she was going die at the spot.

The guy rushed in right away, two cans in his hands, "What!!?" He seemed very worried.

"Come here!" she motioned for him to sit on the couch.

"Stop screaming like that, pabo!" he sat on the couch opposite you and handed you one of the cans, "Hope you don't mind, please~"

"No, no, it's perfect," you smiled at him awkwardly.

Yeonji coughed to grab your attention, "So, now! Let's get done with introductions!" She looked at you and then at the guyt.

The guy bowed, "Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Kang Hanseul, Kang Yeonji's older brother by 1 year and am currently majoring in ICT at Korea University." He smiled and looked at you eagerly.

"Ah... I'm (y/n), from (y/c), currently majoring in literature and arts with your sister in Seoul National University. Nice to meet you!" You shook hands with him.

There was an awkward silence in the room. You inspected Hanseul with your eyes. That's why he looked familiar, it's because he had similar features as his sister. He looked really handsome though. They both suited each other, in a sibling kind of way. Yeonji was pretty and y, and cute as well; while Hanseul was tall and handsome and friendly. You were amazed at how wonderful their parents' genes were to produce such beautiful children. As you sat there pondering over them, Yeonji broke the silence.

"Oppa, can you please take out the laundry~ It's been two days!"

"Ah, mianhae! I'll do it right now!" he stood up, "I'll talk to you guys later!" Poor guy, Yeonji must have made him work all these days. You felt sorry for him.

As he left, you decided to bring up the topic you had actually come here for.

"Yeonji-ah... there are some problems..." you whispered, "A fullkpop.com reporter has my pictures with Chen and is going to leak them as dating rumors!"

"What the heck!? But you are not dating!" she freaked out.

"But...she says she is going to leak them even if it's not the truth. Now she wants 600,000 won from me to keep shut..."

Yeonji freaked out even more, "That's insane! Freaking insane! Don't! Don't give her money!"

"Wae?"

"Because she is going to do her job one way or another! Look, the money she's asking from you is just extra money. When she submits her report she will get her pay for it anyway. And that's more than the amount she is asking from you. You don't know how unfaithful these reporters are! She is aiming for both her pay and your money both!"

"Eottokhae~ Yeonji-ah!" you sobbed.

She took a deep breath, "Let her do what she wants. Don't give any money. All you have to do is be careful and vigilant when the news comes out. The rumors are going to die down eventually if there's no more fire to fuel it. Trust me, chingu-yah!"

Maybe, what she was saying was right. All you had to do was to be careful and not meet Chen at any cost after the news comes out.

"Well... I guess you are right... Ugh, I'll have to deal with so much attention, uff!" you whined and put your face in your hands.

"Yah! What should I do about your underwear!? Should I hang it!?" Hanseul shouted from the balcony.

You looked down in embarrassment. But there was not a hint of shame on Yeonji's face. She barked back, "What else are you supposed to do!? Wear them!? ..." You felt so embarrassed at their conversation.

As you sat there feeling awkward, Hanseul walked in.

"Why do you keep coming here, pabo-yah!?" Yeonji shouted and threw a cushion just as he stepped in the room.

He stuck out a tongue at her and winked, "Whatchu gonna do~?"

She rolled her eyes and looked at you, "Mianhae, chingu, he keeps bothering us... Doesn't even give us any privacy, that son of a-"

"Am I bothering you, (y/n)-sshi?" he asked you very cutely. Kyeopta~!!

How could you deny such a cute face! You shook your head, "Ahneeyo~"

He grinned and pulled Yeonji's hair. Yeonji puffed her cheeks and shot him a death glare. It looked like she was really pissed off. She clenched her fist and stood up. Hanseul-ah, you are dead!

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom!" she announced and stormed out of the room.

It was just the two of you now. You looked at each other and giggled. Even though Hanseul was such a handsome guy, your heart was not fluttering as much as it should. He was so attractive yet you didn't feel as much attracted to him. You didn't feel nervous and conscious of what you said. Your mind wandered to Chen. You realized how fast your heart would beat when you saw him, how nervous you got when you heard his voice, how happy and content you felt when you saw his smile. You missed him. You sighed and wondered about what you were going to do from tomorrow. So much trouble was ready. You got lost in your thoughts.

"Umm...so...(y/n)-sshi..." Hanseul started the conversation.

"Ne?"

"Do you have a boyfriend yet?" he grinned, while rubbing his neck.

You got taken aback by his question. You stared at him confusedly, "Ahn-"

"I was joking, don't worry about it!" he laughed, "It is stupid to ask you this when I just met you haha..." He seemed embarrassed.

You laughed at how flustered he looked. Do I look like this when I'm in front of Chen?

"Anyways! How do you find Korea till now? Good?" he looked at you expectantly.

"It's awesome~ I have friends like Yeonji-ah, which makes it even better!" you smiled.

"I'm glad to hear it~" he smiled back, "Do you miss home?"

You didn't feel like answering his question. Yes, you did miss home, you missed it so much! You missed your sister, your father, and most of all, your Mom. You would give anything to hear her voice just one more time, to feel her warmth, to eat the food cooked by her. As you were spacing out, your phone gave out a small ring. Seems like a text. You decided to check it.

Come as fast as possible at Haelu Square. Important talk! Oh and come covered, your face must not be exposed. Quick! --- C

You looked up at Hanseul, "I gotta go."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry there was no Chen interactions this chapter!! Mianhaeyo~ TT

Spoiler: Next chapter will have loads of it! ;^))

~Author~