Her Preference

Their Days
 
 

It was merely eight in the morning when Kai and Suzy forced to be woken up, while someone was pounding the loft’s door quite loud. It was Sunday and they didn’t expect any arrival of their friends, not at least until two hours far ahead. Kai led his girlfriend as both of them were getting off the bed to encounter their early company. Not until Suzy grabbed the tanned guy’s arm, once they’re already in the living space and she realized he forgot something.

“Honey, your pants…” Suzy aimed to his bottom, in which only covered with a black and red boxer.

Kai grinned, scratching his not-so-itchy hair. “Let me put something first,” he stopped smiling to her head. “You’re okay opening the door without me, babe?”

The knocking then was still ongoing. Someone who was on it must’ve been very impatient or, should’ve had that significant matter to be discussed with either one of them.

“The sun is up, anyways,” Suzy was already revealing the biggest hole in the wall of her place. Facing the adjacent apartment of Baekhyun, whereas the petite eldest’s place seemed quiet so far. “It’s too late for a robber coming at this hour.”

In advance of she walked toward the entrance and he has returned to the bedroom. Therefore, it was someone so familiar was standing on the verge. Appeared peppy for a person that normally gets up late and mostly forgetting to shower before having breakfast at her place. He even wore a classic, neat combination of denim shirt and chinos, beneath his black overcoat. It has been a while since the last time Suzy saw Chanyeol been this lively.

“Morning, Bae!”

He curved the edge of his lips, rather wide up till the girl raised an eyebrow at him. About to question his eeriness— although, he rarely was behaving normal— but, this felt even more bizarre. Additionally, the older handed her a couple bags stuffed with fresh ingredients, only God knows when and where did he attain it.

“Did you plan to go for Sunday service somewhere?” Suzy asked, receiving the items given by him and both were proceeding to the inner side of the loft.

The tallest looked around, as he had a question of the other person who lived there. In advance changing into the house sandals from his sported sneakers. “Where’s Kai?”

Suzy headed to her bedroom, for a split second. “Just fallen back asleep.” She noticed the whole presence of her boyfriend as she went outside, closing the door. “It’s still his snoozing time, especially on days off.”

“I’ll give him some birthday wishes, later…” Chanyeol told Suzy when she took a seat on the stool next to him.

“So, what brings you here this early?” She started the inquisition.

There must be something important that brought him here— even earlier than Baekhyun— she thought and it was accurate.

“How about we throw a surprise party for Kai today??” exclaimed Chanyeol, simply to cause Suzy frowned.

“I’m sorry, what?” She attempted to gain a tad focus since she was still sleepy. “You know we didn’t plan anything for him this year and we need to leave at 5… I’m taking your friend for three days and two nights trip to this beautiful art house in East Hampton.”

“Can you leave at 7?”

“Then, we’ll arrive at 10 and it’s passing dinner time, and I’ll miss the reserved spot for his birthday dinner.”

“Can you postpone this trip for the weekend?”

“I told you guys I’ll be busy with my performance starting this Saturday.”

“Right,” he made a click sound with his tongue. “What about delaying it till tomorrow?” He was struggled to bargain her, nonetheless.

“Oppa, I tried hard to confirm this reservation last week…” Suzy grumbled, a bit whining at the older. “What is it with you today?”

At the actions, Chanyeol grabbed her hands, became sort of begging. “Bae, please… Please…” he sounded desperate, placing her fists to his forehead. “Please, make this one exception to me… Your only oppa…”

She was still static, tried to look away and not giving in to him.

“Don’t you care about my feelings?” He recommenced.

Suzy sighed, “Only if you can ensure me—“

“Okay.” Chanyeol replied Suzy straightaway. Staring solemnly at her, she never perceived him been this serious. “You remember Jennie?”

She nodded, giving an unspoken signal for him to go on.

“I, uh, sort of invited her to this birthday party for Kai—“

“Why did you do that?” She cut and he exhaled, still continuing.

“So that I can see her today.”

“She’s supposed to be dating Baek, isn’t she?” She asked, being careful.

“I don’t know… I’m not really sure, but that’s not my point…” He had the doubt. “And I kinda invited Rose, as well…”

“So that, you didn’t seem too obvious because you only asked her to come, oh my God…” Suzy took her hands off his grip and enclosed with both of her palms. “Does she cheat on Baek with you?!”

“No, Bae! No… Oh my goodness,” Chanyeol rustled Suzy’s loose tresses, a bit relaxed because of how she reacted. At the moment, he was hesitated before carrying on. “I went back to their place last night, just to talk to her and I suddenly came up with that idea… I don’t know…” He shrugged. “I don’t think I know, myself, what is going on here…”

Chanyeol aimed his index finger to the side of his temple. Not knowing for sure, whether the thumping caused by his giddy head, whenever the talks were enduring about that person.

“You mean here?”

He was amazed when in seconds, Suzy moved his hand, pointing to his chest.

She gave him the usual soothing smile, to say. “Oh God, I think it’s the time you’re finally fell for someone…”

Chanyeol furrowed his brows when finding Suzy seemed affected.

Yah, I did fall for someone, once. And I didn’t have to tell you who it was… Because you knew, yourself.”

“Come on, we both know it won’t work in any way…” She giggled and shifted rather to face him perfectly. “You’re still calling me with a nickname that was invented by you… Only you… And I still referring you as my oppa.”

Chanyeol chuckled, knowing she was right. “But, why do you support me just like this? Did she talk about me last night?! Oh my God…”

Suzy sighted him began biting his nails.

“Did she say anything bad?”

She shook her head. “Nope.”

“Alright, then… What do we do about Baek??”

“Relax…” She calmly answered. “I don’t think Baek will take on anything seriously, since he was still indecisive with that girl from his regular group meetings. The one who lives downtown… You know,”

Chanyeol nodded, barely when Suzy had evenly gazed at him.

“But, I’ll help you with this and postpone my dinner plan… First, if you really try to be serious about this one—”

“Yeah?” He has hesitated.

“Oppa…” She hummed. “It’s not time for you to fool around with too many girls, not anymore… Find one who really suit yourself, please?”

“Yes… I guess I have, Bae…” Chanyeol mended his answer to her.

Suzy beamed and patted the older shoulder, before she was on her feet ready to go to the bathroom.

At that time, Kai has woken up and see the giant had done talking with his girlfriend. He was about to march in direction of them, asking his purpose, when Chanyeol has stepped in to give him a tight squeeze.

“Happy birthday, man!” He was stating it with a full grin, plastered on his face.

Kai merely tapped the older’s back, in between his-still-drowsiness.

 

Jennie put on her Doc Martens, catching the short hand of the wall clock pointing at three. She cussed for a few before, since Chanyeol had unexpectedly arriving two hours earlier than what he told her last night. She even made a major effort to make Rosé agreed tagging along with them. The roommate was having another plan with some of her classmates. However, Rosé never saw Jennie pled that much to her and she eventually gave an hour limit for her to this sudden get-together.

“I’m wondering why don’t you let Chanyeol wait here rather than downstairs?” Rosé probed and she saw Jennie rolling her eyes.

“He was odd since last night. Even when he suddenly invited me, um, us to this surprise party for his friend…” She answered directly, holding one of Rosé’s arms as a brace for her getting up.

“Why can’t you say no to his invitation?”

She felt like it was reasonable, besides, Jennie seemed did not have attracted that much to this specific soul— or, maybe, she was wrong.

“You like Chanyeol, don’t you?”

Jennie cracked at her roommate’s question. “No!” She fixed her vintage band t-shirt, before covering it with another layer of jumper. “He was your date, my dear Rose… Don’t you remember?”

“Yeah…” Rosé flashed her a sweet, yet meaningful grin. “But, I think somebody might have attracted to him, huh?”

She elbowed Jennie, barely to get an unhappy stare in return.

“No?”

Jennie shook her head, “No… And please, stop trying to be a meddler— cupid, for me and every man who came across us…”

Rosé then followed Jennie, as she was locking the door. She was still crossing her arms, up till they were reaching the second floor and Rosé threw an arm to wrap on the shorter’s shoulder.

“Sorry… I’m just doing everything I can to help you.”

The said one forced to curve her lips. “I know, Rose…”

“So, Jen… One more thing,”

She spoke as wriggling her eyebrows.

“Why did you agree to come to this party… Well, in any case?”

Jennie sighed at it. She should’ve known Rosé better that she wouldn’t let her go away just like that.

“Promise, you won’t make fun of me,” Jennie stopped pacing as they were about to pass one more set of steps to reach the ground floor.

Rosé played along with her condition, for she resumed. “I kinda like to see more of this one friend,”

“And?” Rosé drew her ear closer, because she knew Jennie wouldn’t dare to say it out loud.

She did though it was more of whispering. “He has this one, really, handsome friend that I’d like to see!”

“Somebody, please… Get my best friend some ice pack, or else, I’m afraid she’ll explode from the heat…”

Rosé was amused seeing Jennie’s face became crimson, as she kept pestering while enfolding and holding her close.

Jennie was this type who gets easily embarrassed— despite the tough look she typically presented— as she had hardly been attracted to an opposite . It’s not that she doesn’t like guys, she definitely was on that path, except she kept having hard time to adapt with most of them. It was true what people said, which a person like her should have really experienced what it feels like of falling for someone, before finding out the true meaning after.

Rosé, as a person who have known her best, was ecstatic knowing that Jennie finally started showing her interest to other people.

“Well, anything that keep you away from waiting someone who will never show up, Jen…”

She mumbled as drawing Jennie to meet their visitor then.

 

It was just like the other night before, they walked and mostly it was Rosé who brought up anything to be put a conversation. It was tricky, since she didn’t know Chanyeol that much and Jennie was already a handful to be a chitchat partner.

“Anyway, you guys… Thanks for coming with me in such short notice,” Chanyeol stated to the girls.

Granting that his gaze was going nowhere but to Jennie, who was linking her hand to Rosé. Oh, how he wished he was the one that was having his arm wrapped on hers.

Both Jennie and Rosé were shaking their head, signaling that it was nothing. And that was it, they fell into an unavoidable silence, once more. Rosé racked her brain, thinking hard to come up with another topic.

“Hey, Chanyeol… Is it really okay for us to join you? Well,” she peeped at Jennie afore advancing. “Who else is going to be there?”

“Hmm,” Chanyeol initiated as if discerning to answer. “It’s going to be us three… Bae, I mean, Suzy of course… Kai’s cousin who probably will bring his friend… And the rest, you already know them; Baek and Sehun.”

He later didn’t catch the wink that Rosé indicated to Jennie.

 

They managed it somehow, arriving timely to Suzy’s loft, yet it felt like forever especially for Chanyeol. He screwed his chance to build more interesting exchange with the girl he likes. Even Rosé appeared to be bored on their way, and say the least, he could see Jennie has been uninterested.

Kai waved his hand and got up from the couch, with his cousin and another male friend trailing him, welcoming the guests. Chanyeol, then, perceived Baekhyun was already there. Conversing with Suzy by the kitchen area and he gave them a cue to go with him, having another discussion in more unseen place.

“Bae Suzy and Byun Baekhyun, can we have a word?” Chanyeol called two of his best friends. “Like, in the hallway.”

Both of them said some brief greetings to Jennie and Rosé subsequent of the giant. Leaving those girls been greeted next with another individual, looked confident and if truth be told, they couldn’t lie that his face was kind of out of this world.

“Hi, I don’t know that Jongin hyung knew some other pretty girls beside his own girlfriend,”

Yah!” Kai shouted and the guy still offered them to shake his hand.

“I’m Taeyong.”

Rosé was the one getting it since Jennie looked tense, fronting few other people she had to meet outside their own circle.

Kai stepped in to prevent his cousin rambling much more. “Hey, thanks for coming…” He called out for a guy who remained silent during Taeyong’s courtesy. “This is Johnny,”

The tallest guy amongst the three came forward.

“Isn’t it supposed to be a surprise party for you?” Jennie questioned Kai upon the utter.

“Well, it’s a common thing for all of us to gather like this whenever someone’s having birthday, so I’m not surprised anymore.” He shrugged and asked them to begin taking some drinks.

 

The petite eldest was not too familiar of the situation. He found himself a bit confused, following the exchange that Chanyeol and Suzy made by the time they were reaching the corridor.

“Hang on, hang on…” Baekhyun raised his palm so that they paused and anticipated him to blend in. “What do you mean Yeol was the one planning it?”

“I’m sorry, Baek… I haven’t told you that oppa seems to fancy your date.”

Suzy responded and Chanyeol surrounded his face with his own palms.

“Bae!” He disclosed the view after absorbing his floating thoughts for seconds. “This is not how we were intending to tell him…”

“You what?”

Baekhyun’s guffaw hovered to the thin air. Causing both Chanyeol and Suzy stared at each other, facing this unexpected reaction of his. The outspoken’s urge to tease the giant didn’t seem to fade away, although he cleared it up soon noticing the pal was puzzled to receive such blunt scoffing of him.

Chanyeol’s expression was twisting when he said, “Baek, I don’t need you to make fun of me, right now…”

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun placed his palm on the broad back. “I don’t think you’ll ever get serious to this sort of stuff… And what?” He shifted his eye at Suzy. “You knew her since last night? Are you sure this is not your usual one night thing—”

Suzy shook her head, indicating that it was wrong to mock Chanyeol, at this time.

“Alright, man… I’m sorry.” He corrected. “What do you intend to say to me?”

“I thought you’ll be mad at me because she was supposed to be with you, but I was clearly wrong.”

“Yeol, I valued her last night because I did ask her to go out… I didn’t plan to go for a second date ‘cause I know she doesn’t like me that way… And I saw you were doing the same thing to Rosé, weren’t you?”

Chanyeol had lost of how many times did he was deliberating to handle an upset Baekhyun in regard of this matter. Just when he thought that one problem was out of his life and he could go for Jennie, for real. Another appearance added to the three of them who stood in the hallway, abruptly has startled one and for all.

“What are you guys doing out here?”

Sehun chimed in between his best friends.

“Yeol is having some cold feet.”

Baekhyun rejoined and he scanned over the youngest guy of their group. He looked like his usual fine-looking self, with his posh coat getting loose and his brunette hair pushed back, revealing his perfect features.

“It’s even colder if you go outside, then why are you in the corridor?”

Sehun retorted as Baekhyun then, observed him was carrying a box which seemed like a gift.

“Didn’t we agree to not getting Kai any present this year?” Baekhyun nudged the girl on his left. “Nothing can overcome his joy of having Sooj accepting his proposal.”

“Yeah,” Sehun replied. “But, it’s rude to come to a birthday party without a present.”

Chanyeol smiled vainly. “Sehunnie is always the best when it come to this kind of things…”

He trailed the palest guy, progressing to come in the place. In a moment, as Baekhyun held both of his and Suzy’s hand, and then the three of them stayed in the hallway, still.

“Yeol,” Baekhyun began, yet other words he needed to confer with his friends. “I guess it’s not me that you need to worry about getting in your way, if, you really are serious of making an approach to Jennie.”

Chanyeol and Suzy looked at one another, once again, expecting Baekhyun to give them a quick answer.

“Last night, I recall Sehun said he kinda like her…”

It took Chanyeol everything and feeling alarmed. The giant rested his hands to both of Suzy and Baekhyun’s shoulder for support.

“Oh my God, not Sehun…” Chanyeol spoke though he was somehow losing his poise.

 

In the loft, Sehun came and quickly headed to the living space to give Kai a hug and handed his present. Through the chatters— where it’s been quite long since the last time he saw Taeyong and Johnny— Sehun perceived there were two other people sitting in place, chatting on their own before they were also observing him being there.

Out of any kind of sly move— which can be done by Rosé— she swiftly was necessitating to use the bathroom. As Sehun, being a gentleman he mostly had been, examined whether it was okay for him to take seat next to Jennie.

“Are you going to keep asking me should I let you sit beside?”

Jennie responded at him, slightly recollecting of how the other night he was questioning her the same back in the bar.

Sehun let out a snicker, in advance of he was casually settling there. “You don’t sound that annoyed for someone who keep getting the same question from the exact person, by not even a day interval…”

He thought it never was a bad idea to be someone’s— fascinating as Jennie— mere company.

 


 

A/N: I guess you all can see where this will be going...

 

 

Aaand if you have time and you know NCT quite well... Don't forget to stream, watch, or buy NCT's new album Cherry Bomb!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

PLEASE ENJOY THIS CHAPTER AND LEAVE COMMENTS ^.^v