What a Guy Wants

Their Days
 
 

Chanyeol watched ahead, blankly towards the vast area of the park that he was resting on the bench with Jennie still busy doing her sketch. He did turn to her for several times, but it seemed her drawing has been more important than his presence. A scene of a toddler chased by his Maltese was the single thing enhanced him to be interested that morning. Talk about to his deactivated and useless phone, which he forgot to plug in before leaving his flat.

As he later gave a glimpse, Jennie had only sketched a similar looking bench as the one they used now, with its duplicate, pretty much placed distant and upfront. Chanyeol wanted to ask Jennie what was her purpose of drawing that, yet he knew he wouldn’t get any answer as she was too absorbed in her said own world.

He rested his cheek on a palm, whereas he grasped she was looking at him in no later.

“Hi,” Chanyeol spoke first, locking his gaze at her. “Remember me?”

Jennie furrowed her brows. “How can’t I?”

“You’ve been too busy doing the sketch, like you don’t realize I’m here…” The guy pouted, in some way he may have started to sulk.

She tousled his uncovered tresses, since he didn’t use the snapback that time and say, “You know, I got to finish the drawing before what came to my head has disappeared.”

Jennie showed him the picture he already saw. Instead, Chanyeol moved to get closer at her. It was by force of nature when both of their arms touched and it didn’t cause any of them feel uncomfortable, as if it’s the other way around.

“What’s with these…seats?” Chanyeol tilted his head, still examining what was on the paper.

“These seats…” Jennie repeated, contemplating. “After what almost happened last night… The recollections I had for my accident… I guess it starts coming in,”

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow, even though he kept his mouth shut and let Jennie carried on.

“I don’t think I recall the person yet… Or, what truly happened before I got hit by the car… But, these two seats, one which backs at the other… I don’t know what I supposed to do with this—” she pointed to the paper on his hold. “— maybe they’ll beginning to come back at me.”

“Well,” he adjusted his position to turn at her. “One thing for sure, this type of seats is surely can be found in this park.”

“Do you think this is why I keep coming here?”

Chanyeol wasn’t sure why he began to sense resentment, for the fact that the place wasn’t belong only to Jennie and him. On the other hand, he did have concern for whom had ruined her. As he needed to discern of the culprit, to learn what he did wrong and given her the unidentified misery.

“What would you do if you remember him?”

To be honest, the tall guy hated what he just questioned Jennie.

“I-I don’t think I know what’ll I do…” she paused, biting her lower lip. “Chanyeol, what should I do when that time comes and he’d disrupt my mind?”

I just hope you don’t turn away from me. He knew the answer he had on his mind was totally selfish.

At that point, he felt his big eyes have softened, by way he kept staring at her. Chanyeol trailed off the movement of the girl’s head, looking down, as he patted her shoulder.

“Well, I guess we have no point to worry about something that will, or will not be happening.”

It was supposed to be the reassurance for the girl, although Chanyeol believed it could apply for himself as well. Then, he made his move, taking one of her hands.

“Let’s go chill our— I mean— your head, maybe with…” The guy chuckled. “You like frozen yogurt?”

At that, Jennie simply hummed. “Really? I don’t know you have such sweet tooth… And it’s quite early.”

Chanyeol grinned as reply. “Not many things you already know about me, Jennie…”

 

“Thank God, there’s this place already opened…” Chanyeol widened his orbs, looking at the cup filled with cake batter-flavored yogurt.

Jennie was kind of dazed by how, childlike this giant called Chanyeol when getting the stuff he craved since earlier. Park Chanyeol, the guy she knew for almost a month, whom she had taken note of his image of being a ladies’ man— which Jennie never brought up the matter to him at all. However, she can’t not listen to it since the tall guy was famous for that thing to the upmost, even though he graduated for a couple years back. Jennie had vaguely wondered, maybe Chanyeol was not entirely like every girl at their campus had described him about. Especially, for what’s he had been under control to her, by a few weeks up till now.

“Why frozen yogurt?” Jennie asked Chanyeol as she rubbed the smudge at the edge of his mouth, which he caused by eating while talking.

“What? You don’t like it?” Chanyeol questioned her back, as he was still devouring the yogurt without minding a bit cordial move she’s done with the wipes.

“No, I don’t… I mean,” she swallowed up her French vanilla, “It’s uncommon.”

“It’s healthier than ice cream, though.”

“Yeah, but still… It’s not normal.”

“At least, it didn’t guarantee you sore throat after consumption. “Chanyeol responded, nonchalantly. “I’m sorry, are you the type who gets stomachache if eating sour stuff before lunch? Do you want me to ask the staff where the restroom is?”

Jennie smeared some of her yogurt to Chanyeol’s cheeks to stop their trivial argument. His husky laugh was undeniably causing few heads turned at them in that not so busy place. In another ten minutes, both were finished with the morning treat and still lounging there.

“I heard stuff about you, Chanyeol…”

Jennie had finally channeled her curiosity.

“Stuff?” He repeated, senses commencing an enigma. “Like what?”

“Let’s say, it’s the story about Park Chanyeol and The Girlfriends.” She replied, prudently.

Chanyeol gritted his teeth, with hands suddenly were hiding inside the jumper. He needed to provide an answer, the proper one, because this was probably the last thing he wanted Jennie to savvy.

“Now it’s just Park Chanyeol without The Girlfriends.” He mumbled, which caused her seemingly intrigued.

“Really? What happened?”

Because I only want to have one girlfriend, which is you. Of course, Chanyeol didn’t tell her that. It has turned into this, “Eventually a guy has to meet the limit, Jennie.” And I have met you, so that’s why.

“Great.” Jennie gave him a beam as he pointed at himself. “You know what, sometimes I’m worried one of your girlfriends will have problem as you hang out with me, every so often.”

He flashed her a look, eyebrows knitted. “Why should someone have a problem about me hanging out with you?” He gasped. “Did anyone ever come, threatening you?”

Jennie merely shook her head.

“Does she blonde? Or, is it the brunette one with an accent?”

Second head shaking and she was now responding. “Chanyeol, I was a bit concerned… And, practically everyone knows about the story… That’s all.”

“Good then,” he let out a sigh. “If anyone ever put you at risk because I never returned their call, you tell me.”

Jennie hummed lightly. “I can first say to them that I’m just a friend of yours, so they don’t have to worry about my presence.”

“First,” Chanyeol glanced at the girl. “It is you, who don’t have to worry about their presence. And, second…”

He paused and she observed. “What?”

“Um, never mind.”

I want you to not be just a friend of mine. Chanyeol let that one lingered amidst his cognizance.

 


 

It took a couple days of Jennie not hearing any news from Chanyeol. The girl was about to retreat to she and Rosé’s place following her Friday afternoon classes, when her iPhone rang from inside the crossbody bag.

Yo, friend!”

A slight curve chanced by her lips’ edge, noticing the caller ID afore she said a hello.

“Hi, Chanyeol…”

What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Are you going to ask me for date?”

Jennie giggled as she listened to Chanyeol’s annoyed sigh from the other’s line.

Stop saying that to me, ‘cause it became less and less funny…”

She could picture the older was sulking with brows furrowed atop of his big orbs.

“I’m just kidding.”

You’re always kidding me.

“Yeah, because it’s always fun kidding you.”

Another clear grunt occurred from the caller.

I’m hanging up…”

Typical Chanyeol, Jennie spoke in her mind. Lately, he’s been quite sulky on daily basis.

“Alright, don’t hang up… I promise, no kidding you until the next time we meet.” She signed a cross although no one would see it.

So, tomorrow you will kid me?”

“Who said we’re going to meet tomorrow?”

Jennie!”

“Okay, okay… I’m listening.”

An exhalation from Chanyeol could be heard for a few, in advance of he continued. “I need help for moving day tomorrow, or at least, you can do the unpacking.

“Why did you want to move?” Jennie asked even though she knew nothing about his current dwell.

Efficiency reason and a person demand to have roomie.”

“Do you happen to get a pretty roomie?” That was a subtle tease she attempted.

Do you think Baek is pretty?”

Jennie laughed, catching the last sentence. “He certainly is.”

Chanyeol responded with an exclamation of revolt over the phone call.

 


 

Boxes started coming to Baekhyun’s place around ten by the next morning. The breakfast bunch began their usual activity earlier, as Chanyeol has initiated it by nine.

“If you use most the furniture as what’s already in Baek, how can you still have these many stuffs?”

Sehun had been whiny since he was forced to do the tasks merely a day returning from a whole week of nationwide conference. Not to mention, the youngest guy still had the time difference— which caused him got even crankier— though it was only an hour.

It was the time of Sehun’s turn to bring one of the huge boxes through the set of steps along with Kai. By upstairs, Baekhyun expected them at the apartment with Suzy. Chanyeol was in turn to wait by the younger’s black SUV, as later he’d do it with him, as Kai would be at the interval.

“You know I like collecting stuff to decorate my room, Sehunnie.”

The older answered and the cranky Sehun strikes to get back. “Yeah, I can see you fancy to decorate your bedroom with stuffs, some heavy like a drum set.”

“We’re lucky Yeol doesn’t like to collect rocks, Sehun-ah.” Kai regretted the moment he uttered it as Sehun sent him a glare.

Chanyeol mouthed a ‘good luck’ to tanned guy as he had to listen the palest whines all the way up.

 

Through the while when Chanyeol brought the pack contained cymbals and stands with Sehun, he contemplated to give the younger heads-up of what might’ve took place without his knowing.

“Sehunnie,” he began as they required to reach two more level to Baekhyun’s apartment.

“What?” reacted the younger, coldly.

Chanyeol swallowed a lump formed within his throat, to reply. “Jennie’s coming for this moving day—”

“Why?” Sehun asked fast and swift, as what he tried to do to bring these things upstairs quickly.

“Uh,” Chanyeol was kind of having hard time to adjust with the younger’s pace. “Because, I kinda close with her.”

Sehun stopped his steps and it made Chanyeol’s cheek got hit by the edge of the carton.

“Ow!”

“!“ Sehun popped his head to see the older at the lower steps. “Yeol, I’m so sorry!”

“It’s…okay…”

“You really okay?”

Chanyeol muffled his groan and motioned. “Alright, j-just…continue.”

They resumed the march and reached a level below their destination, when Sehun began again.

“Have you slept with her?”

“Sehun-ah, I—” a pause and then, “Of course, not!”

“Please, Yeol…” the younger persisted. He hid the sudden change of countenance since the older couldn’t see his face because of the cardboard. “Don’t lie to me.”

The giant sighed, “No, I didn’t.”

“Why?”

Again, Chanyeol let out a long sigh as he noticed the younger’s face once they were on the same level, right in front of the outspoken’s place. Sehun was just unlocking the main door as he forced it open with his back and they entered the space.

“I want Jennie to be my girlfriend first— ” Chanyeol has carefully answered.

Sehun’s eyes went wide and he clumsily released his handle to the box. In which, it later befell right on his foot. “Oh, !” He screamed his lung out.

Chanyeol rushed to put away the box, using it as a doorstop as he approached the tumbled down Sehun. “Oh, .”

“Seriously kids, language—” Baekhyun came over to see what’s going on by the threshold. Instead, he was the one panicking the most when observing the incident.

 

“Are you sure you don’t want to go to the hospital?” Suzy asked her longest-time-friend after Chanyeol returned downstairs with Baekhyun as his substitute. “It could be fractured.”

She referred to Sehun’s swollen toes, whereas by now have an icepack on top. He was the one who held on to it.

“It’s okay, Suzy-yah…” Sehun rested, given that she probably right. “We’ll go if by the next hour, I’m still not being able to walk.”

Suzy had been back and forth to Chanyeol’s new room of unpacking the stuff. By the next time she went to the living space, Sehun did begin an enquire.

“Do you know about Chanyeol and Jennie?”

“Uh…” Suzy continued to keep herself busy with the messy packaging. “Yes—”

“Yes?” Sehun asked, curious.

“No…” She responded, in doubt. “Maybe,”

“So, yes, no, or maybe?” He replied, determinedly.

Well, kinda.”

Sehun scoffed, “Suzy-yah,” with his typical coldness. “It’s okay, Yeol told me.”

“Yes, Sehun-ah… I do know about it.” Suzy has promptly secured a seat next to the guy. “Please don’t tell me this happened because of what he told you?”

“I kinda surprised because of his revelation and that was why the fell on my foot… It totally wasn’t Yeol’s fault since I dropped it myself.”

Suzy let out a crisp laugh as Sehun followed with a sneer, his foot was still hurting as hell.

“Good to know that now you guys can deal with this kind of situation as adults.”

Sehun raised an eyebrow toward what Suzy stated.

Oh, really? Since when did we ever face a situation where we act like, kids?”

“Seriously, you want me to talk about it?” She barely was resuming, when he seemed getting what she was referring.

“Alright, I get it.” Sehun shifted his view to fully look at her. He tilted his head to say, “Sorry?”

Suzy rustled his brown locks. “No need to…”

She got up again to continue unpacking Chanyeol’s things. As in no later, Sehun won’t keep silent as expressing, “You know Yeol would dump Jennie like what he always did to the other girls, huh?”

Suzy put the superhero figurines over the dining table before she’d be taking it gradually inside the older's room. She responded to Sehun’s statement in between. “I believe he wouldn’t.”

“Excuse me,” Sehun turned around on the couch, gazing at her. “How could you say that? You know Chanyeol is the last person on earth you can get to commit… He’s even worse than me!”

“Sehun-ah,” Suzy paused her steps and took a deep breath. “I’m sorry if it doesn’t work out with you and Jennie. But, look at how you’re hooked up till now…” She got closer as she put her palms on the headrest, surrounding Sehun’s back. “What made you think oppa can’t be also like that with Jennie?”

“Because he’s Park freakin’ Chanyeol, Suzy-yah…”

“If you can change, then he can too, Sehun-ah. And I believe he can do that.”

Suzy left the wordless Sehun alone as she started bringing the stuff to the giant’s bedroom. He wanted to also get in there to continue their disagreement, hitherto he couldn’t.

“Why are you taking sides on Yeol, Suzy-yah?!” he howled till it got to where she was at.

Whereas she still reacted with much calmer tone than his. “I was wrong when I thought you are now an adult.”

“I am an adult—”

“You don’t act like one!” she then countered.

Yah! Why are you two screaming at each other?”

That last one was Baekhyun’s, who came with the puzzled Kai, bringing yet another carton filled with Chanyeol’s stuff.

 

The wait for Baekhyun and Kai felt longer than what he went through beforehand. Chanyeol occupied with his phone until the time he felt like he needed to have one cigarette from the pack.

He was about to lit with the lighter when a hand snatched the piece clamped between his lips.

“Hey,”

Jennie smiled at the guy who was on cue to get irritated by her.

“Told you,” she threw it to the nearest bin. “If you want to smoke when I’m around then you should light one for me. Which you don’t want to do, right?”

Chanyeol just sighed, in advance of putting his hands to the pocket and he stared at the girl.

“Well, that’s not what I want the most, now…”

“Really?” Jennie questioned, looking up at him. “Then, what do you want?”

“I want you to be my girlfriend.”

The giant never had such a wide grin in long time, pretty much as he was satisfied getting Jennie’s dumbstruck. In his mind, he probably was thinking that she wasn’t ready for this kind of joke he’d threw on her.

In which Jennie was biting her lip hard, preventing herself to say yes. “O-okay?”

As when she finally opened to say it, Chanyeol was the one who couldn’t maintain his shocked countenance.

 


 

A/N: 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Excuse me...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Can I be Baekhyun? xD

xoxo,