Seven.

Ascension

Mina

Yixing is from the healing branch of our Ability Holder tree. An ability such as his was uncommon amongst us. Rare, even. Most Holders were tied to the four basic elements of Earth. Others could gain abilities that were advanced from one of the basics. Sehun, for example, is considered a Basic Holder because he can control the wind which is one of Earth’s basic elements. I, on the other hand, am classified as an E-Holder - short for Evolved Holder and for the fact that the abbreviation sounds cooler - because my being able to meddle with Steel comes from the Earth element.

“Let’s get this going.” Minseok says, walking over to Suho’s desk. Suho wheels away from him as he opens a drawer and pulls out a group of folded papers. He proceeds to walk over to the coffee table in the center of the room and lays everything out.

Peeking over Minseok’s shoulder, I notice that the papers he unfolded were hand-drawn blueprints of a building. W.O.M.A.’s building. I only figured this much out from the red markings I had drawn on it a few days ago, back in the cafeteria. Suho and Yixing also gather around Minseok to get a closer look at the sketches.

“We all know this is the entrance,” Minseok points to a part of the building that has a small break in the lines. “All Norms are welcomed through here. Front desk is where someone will report any sightings of Holders.”

“Is this where I’m going through?” Yixing questions, eyebrows furrowed in thought.

“Yes,” Suho nods. “Walk up to the receptionist and ask if they have any job openings. If she asks why… Well, I’m sure you can think of something?” He lets out an embarrassed laugh.

“‘I would like to rescue my fellow brethren from your evil clutches.’” I joke, earning laughter from the three.

“Okay, jokes aside.” Minseok claps his hands together to earn our attentions. “Yixing, if she says yes, then say you want to apply for one. Doesn’t matter which one. Just make sure you get a position that lets you pass those ‘Personal Only’ doors.”

A sudden thought comes to my mind, “Wait.”

“What is it, Mina?” Minseok looks up from the papers to face me. “Something wrong?”

“What if Yixing doesn’t get hired?”

Silence falls upon the three men and they resemble deer caught in headlights.

“,” Suho curses, biting his lip. “Why didn’t we think of that?”

“Doesn’t matter. We go through with it, anyway.” Yixing shakes his head.

“And you’re certain you’ll be able to hide the fact you’re a Holder?” Minseok asks. “This isn’t like the time in Hong Kong when-”

Hey,” Yixing cuts him off, “I was, like, half-drunk that day. That incident doesn’t count. I’ve gotten better at hiding it.”
“Yixing, if you don’t mind me asking-”

“How do I hide my Ability?” He finishes my question and I blush before nodding. “Well, I use it to hide it.”

“You’ll have to explain it better than that.” Suho sighs. The way he shakes his head shows he’s been through this more than once.

“Oh, you’re right.” Yixing scratches his chin and looks up at the ceiling. “Because of my ability to heal, this means I can manipulate cells in any lifeform’s body. So, whenever I’m being tested for Holder symptoms, I just control which blood cells are in the area where the needle is drawing blood from.”

“So you can manually move the cells in your body?” I repeat.

“Yes.”

“That’s so gross.” I shiver and Yixing bursts into laughter. “I can’t even look at blood never mind think about moving my own inside me.”

“Well, I can’t move my actual blood, per say. I don’t think I should go into further detail other than what I just said. You may get more freaked out.” He wiggles his eyebrows and another shiver courses through my spine.

Despite the details Yixing has shared with me, to be able to hide your Ability was a miracle of its own. He was one of the few lucky ones who could practice this and I must admit, I am a bit jealous. He’s able to go anywhere he wants without worrying too much about being caught. How nice that must be.

“So, when do we start?” Yixing asks.

“Right now.” Suho answers, slapping the table. He soon regretted doing that and rubbed his palm, “...Ow.”

Baby.”

A true leader of us Holders.

␛␛␛

I have to admit, this was nerve wrecking. After getting off the public bus, the three of us decided to make the coffee shop three blocks away from the facility our hideout while Yixing went ahead to W.O.M.A. We ordered food and drinks off the menu so we wouldn’t come off as suspicious. I felt as though this made us stand out even more for the fact Suho doned silver hair while everyone else in this place had brown or black hair. You know, normal hair colors. I made sure to never wish for a different hair color other than the jet black I had because if you had different hair compared to others, you were more likely to stand out.

And obviously, our lovely leader did not think of that when he dyed his hair home with a cheap bottle from the convenience store.

“Stop fidgeting around, it’ll be fine.” Minseok mumbles in my direction. I then notice the way my foot was tapping against the floor and immediately lay it flat on the tile. “We’re all nervous for him, Mina. But we have to show strength through it all.”

“Right…” I sigh, taking a sip of my coffee. “I guess I’m just worried for us, as well. Even though we have buildings separating us from them, I feel so vulnerable.”

“You need to get out more.” Suho declares. “Doing that will let you erase any worries you have about being spotted in public. Like I’ve said before, the only way they can really find out we’re Holders is by blood tests.”

I give a small nod and wrap my hands around the paper cup. My fingers lightly tap against its surface as I drown out the conversation Minseok and Suho are having. A tiny miniscule part of my mind imagines that Yixing will wreck havoc inside the facility just to rescue my brother. He’ll waltz into the coffee shop with Sehun behind him and he’ll look as healthy and protected as he did the day before he was captured. Of course, I know this wasn’t going to happen. Yixing would surely be put down the second he tried to act out of order inside that God-forsaken building.

I’m startled by the sound of sirens coming from outside and I hurriedly look out the glass-paned windows. Multiple police cars are racing down the street and my heart quickens as I realize what direction they’re heading towards.

The W.O.M.A. building.