Five.

Ascension

 

 

Kyungsoo

 

I would like to think I have a chance of escaping here but then I’d be deluding myself with an out-of-reach dream. I think everyone in this place knows we’re stuck here until the end of our days. Some have come to terms with this, I’m sure, while others refuse to believe they’ll be stuck here for the rest of their days.

 

From what I recall from yesterday’s conversation, Sehun mentioned he wasn’t going to stay here long. He sounded and looked so convinced as he told us about his friends and sister who will come to save him any day now. The poor kid’s face was full hope and I didn’t have the heart to tell him that there won’t be anyone to come and get him. I was nearly one-hundred percent positive that this place has guards at every door, window, and possibly every crevice to make sure no one gets in or out. It would take a miracle for his so-called ‘saviors’ to break in.

 

The swoosh of my cell’s metal door breaks me free of my thoughts. I lift my head off my pillow to see a guard and a white-cladded nurse standing in the doorway.

 

“Subject 12, you have been selected once again to undergo our daily experiments.” The nurse announces, her face stoic and empty of any emotion. “Aren’t you a lucky one?”

 

I’m far from lucky if it meant I had to go passed those red doors again. And here I was, thinking I wouldn’t have to go back in anytime soon. My hands clench into fists as I slide off the bed and stand in front of the guard who was already offering handcuffs.

 

“This way, if you will,” she her head, directing me out the door. “I am sure you know how to get there. Do not try to cause a scene, it will only end poorly for you.”

 

We walk down the long hallway and once we reach the red doors, the nurse presses her badge against the ID reader on the wall. An alarm beeps before the doors whisk open. The guard nudges me forward and I begin to walk towards my unavoidable doom. My heart begins to beat faster as I try to prepare myself for the pain that will soon take over my entire body. My hands clasp together in a silent prayer and I only hope I’ll be able to pass out in order to some what numb the pain.

 

“Right in here, Subject 12.” The nurse announces, halting in front of yet another red door. ‘Personal Authentication Required’ is painted on its surface. She waves her badge over the ID reader and a beep sounds while the door automatically pushes open. “I believe you know what to do.”

 

The guard stands in the doorway, blocking my only escape route. I take the smallest of steps towards the intimidating operating table placed in the center of the small, well-lit room. After awkwardly trying to lay down, the nurse comes to my side and unlocks my handcuffs. She guides my wrists to the table’s handcuffs and tightly locks them into place. She roughly grasps my head in her hands and positions it on the headrest so she could place the leather holding strap across my forehead, making sure my head has minimal movement during the entire experiment.

 

The strap was new, I’m pretty sure. Smelled liked it, anyway. They must have added this only recently because during my past torture sessions, only my wrists and feet were bound.

 

“Are you comfortable?”

 

A mocking question. Of course I wasn’t comfortable. I wasn’t anything other than terrified. Although her face continued to appear emotionless, I knew she was suppressing a sinister smile. She probably found this amusing. Fun, even. To be able to do whatever you’d like to another being without any remorse is truly a sickening thing. But in the eyes of Norms, we were the sick ones. They wanted nothing to do with us like we did with them. From our end, we try to keep to ourselves and stray from being in the spotlight. But running away never seems to work; I am more than a perfect example for this.

 

When they came for me, it was during my study hour at University. I was out in the spacious courtyard, drilling my brain with Chemistry equations when three red vans sped down the street and parked right in front the University’s front entrance. The courtyard was to the right of them so I could barely make out what was happening. But the way everyone stopped to stare at the men and women who came out of those vans meant something wasn’t right. The first thought to come to my mind was, they found me. My parents, who were Norms themselves, had always warned me to be careful when going out in the public’s eye. I was always careful and never once used my powers outside of the safety of my parents’ basement. So, they couldn’t be here for me, right?


I was wrong. I always seem to be wrong about everything and this time was no different. I was trying to play it cool and make it seem as though I wasn’t worried about anything other than the Chemistry exam that Friday. But then I heard rushing feet coming towards the tree I was under and that’s when I began to panic. I looked up to see the same people from before heading my way and I scrambled to my feet, preparing myself to run for my life. Literally. I was too slow, no surprise there. I was thrown to the ground in a matter of seconds and pinned down, my arms being held behind my back.

 

“Get off me!” I yelled, attempting to push someone off me but there must have been more than three people on me.

My entire body began to shake due to nerves and tears welled up in the corners of my eyes. I squeezed my eyes shut, thinking they were going to end my life right there and then.

 

“Do Kyungsoo,” a woman’s voice called out. “You are being taken into captivity for the possession of illegal abilities. You have the right to remain silent, for anything you say or do will be used against you in a physical manner.”


What?

 

With my eyes still shut, I pressed my forehead to the ground and willed for it to move. To do anything that would make them get off me and let me escape to somewhere far away from the University and these people. With my hope never wavering, I continued to imagine the ground splitting apart to allow my capturers to fall down into the center of the Earth, if possible. After a moment, the image in my head sprang into action. The ground beneath me began to shake, rumbling as it did so.

 

“What’s happening?” Someone said, panic clear in their voice.

 

“It’s the kid, he’s doing this!” Another screeched.

 

The pressure against my back had lifted and my hands were released. I sprang to my feet, stumbling from the quick motion. My adrenaline kicked in and I ran.

 

I ran, and ran.

 

But like before, I wasn’t fast enough.

 

One of those red bullets lodged itself into my left shoulder blade and I was out like a light.

 

“Now, shall we?” The nurse asks, bringing me back to the present. Back to the horrific activity I will be forced to undergo. “Why don’t you hum one of those pretty little songs you sing? Maybe you won’t be as scared… Maybe.” She didn’t give me enough time to react before she pushed a button on the glass screen, initiating shockwaves to course through my body.

And so, here I am again. Creating a fool of myself with my screams and cries.