Four.

Ascension

 

Mina

 

It’s later that night when Chanyeol knocks on my bedroom door to retrieve me that I know it was time to officially spring into action. This meeting with Suho is going to determine how I get my brother back and I am more than ecstatic to be involved in the planning.

 

“Is everyone else already there?” I question as we begin to walk down the hallway.

 

“For the most part, yeah. There’s, I think, only one person missing and that’s Minseok. Heard he’s still doing his scouting.”

 

“Wait, I thought Suho was going to wait for him?” I scrunch my eyebrows together, confused at what I was just told.

 

“Maybe they talked to one another or something? I just know this meeting’s being held with or without Min.” Chanyeol gives a helpless shrug, a signature mark of his other than his twenty-four hour smile.

 

He continues to lead us down the maze of hallways as we talk about the gathering and whether or not we’ll be able to come up with a plan worth going through with. We reach the makeshift ‘boardroom’ a few minutes later and Chanyeol knocks on the door before pushing it open.

 

As soon as I enter, I take in the members who have shown up. Suho, of course, was leaning against the desk that was positioned in the back of the room, papers in hand. Jongdae along with Baekhyun were sitting on one of the tarnished black couches, both playing a round of Rock, Paper, Lightning; A game Jongdae had created himself where the loser will get a small shock. I believe it to be rigged considering he couldn’t shock himself if he lost. Then again, it was Jongdae here. When doesn’t the guy bend the rules? Other than those three, there were four other members scattered across the room whom I didn't know or associated with.

 

“Ah, perfect.” Suho smiles. “Looks like everyone is here for now.”
 

Chanyeol and I take seats on the other couch while everyone settles down to listen to our leader. He clears his throat, sets the papers down on his desk, and looks back to us.

 

“Now, then. Let’s begin.” He folds his arms over his chest. “Anyone who would like to speak out with an idea, talk now. If not, we’ll all brainstorm until we come up with a decent enough plan.”

 

No one spoke up nor offered a raised hand to ask for everyone’s attention. We sat there, blinking at one each other like fishes. I tapped my fingertips against my knee, beginning to grow impatient and anxious. Why wasn’t anyone saying anything? Was no one able to think of anything to even consider? Why didn’t I have anything to pitch?
 

“I got it,” Baekhyun’s words save me from my internal suffering. “We infiltrate from the inside.”

 

There wasn't enough to process what he said before someone spoke up, immediately slamming his idea to the ground.

 

“Are you dumb?” A woman scowls at him. The look on her face screams annoyance. “If we were able to do that then we would have done it by now, don’t you think?”
 

“Yes, exactly.” Another member who’s sitting next to her pipes in. “If there was a way to get in without being spotted then we would have tried it already.”

 

“Hold on a minute everyone, let’s hear Baekhyun out before we begin to make assumptions on him being dumb.” Suho holds out a hand to silence the two and then motions it towards Baekhyun. “Please, Baek, we’re open for any ideas you’re willing to put out on the table. You seem to be the only one as of right now who has any sort of plan.”

 

“Thanks. Anyway, as I was saying before I was interrupted,” he throws a dirty look at the duo, “what if we tried posing as a Norm? You know, pretend we don’t have our abilities and act like a European tourist or something.”
 

“We’re too Asian to be European.” Chanyeol comments, earning laughs from a few of us, including myself.

 

I took the chance to sneak a glance over at Suho. His eyes were focused on the ground, a thoughtful look on display, which means he was considering what Baekhyun said.

 

“If we were to get someone outside of the country, what would you say we do after that?” Suho asks, looking over at Baekhyun once more. “How would we get them in?”

 

“What’s the one thing every job wants?” Baekhyun says, a grin showing off his obnoxiously white teeth. No one answers. “Workers.

 

“So?” The woman who interrupted him earlier says.

 

So, I say we get ourselves a fake interviewee. Have them apply for a position there.” Baekhyun explains, hands moving in all sorts of directions to accentuate his planning. “There has to be a website somewhere or a job place that lets you apply to be an associate there.”

 

The room falls silent after he’s done with his explanation. Everyone seems to be contemplating what they were just told. I believed it to be a good enough plan. Infiltrate from the inside out like he had said.

 

“We’d be able to make allies with the prisoners.” I voice my thoughts. “Start a rebellion inside their own facility.” The room’s attention was now on me and I shrink back into the couch a little from their intense gazes. “If we could do that, we’d be good to go, right?”

 

“Maybe, Mina” Suho replies, pushing himself off his desk to begin pacing. “We’d have to make sure the person we send in has no evidence of being related to our organization. They’d have to be skilled in hiding their ability. Enough to even fool DNA tests if they were forced to.”
 

“Is that possible?” Jongdae’s eyes are wide with curiosity. “Can someone actually do that?”

 

“This is a suicide mission.” Someone mumbles.

 

They weren’t wrong. The person we put in there will be risking their lives the second they step onto the facility’s neighboring block.

 

“I’ve heard of Holders who were able to master the skill of camouflaging their Abilities.” Chanyeol says, backing up Suho’s statement. “The only problem with that is finding one of those Holders.”

 

“Minseok and I have an old friend who now lives in China who could help us.” Suho announces. “He lives to help people. I think he’ll be willing to at least hear us out.”