Three.

Ascension

 

Related image

Mina

I don’t see Chanyeol again until later that evening. I’m talking to Jongdae, a squad leader who had just recently been promoted, when I do see him. He’s in the midst of pushing his bangs back when I wave him over.

“How’d the meeting from earlier go?” I ask, accidently ignoring Jongdae who was only halfway through with his sentence. Sorry, J.

“Suho thinks we have a chance of getting in there.”

“Into where?” Jongdae questions, looking between the two of us.

“Wait, really? How did he find that out? When can we go?” My eyes widen in excitement.

“Don’t know when yet. He wants to host a meeting with the squad leaders to confirm plans.” Chanyeol explains, offering a smile. “You’re a part of it as well since Sehun is in there.”

"I am? That's great-"

“You know, if either one of you ignore me again, I won’t hesitate to electrocute your asses.” Jongdae threatens while rolling his eyes. “I’m literally standing right here.”

“And you can keep standing there while the big boys and girls do all the work.” I tease, patting his head and messing up his black locks.

“You hang out with Yeol too much.” He pushes my hand away and wrinkles his nose in distaste. “Maybe you should stay behind and work on those powers of yours.”

I’m taken aback by the sudden joke and I look at him, bewildered. It’s true my ability could use some polishing up, Suho has said so himself, but I believe I had been doing good so far. I wasn’t able to freely use them like the others (Chanyeol and Jongdae for example) but I could still activate them which was a passing score in my book.

Compared to my brother, I was behind on handling my ability to play with metal. Sehun was able to control the wind which earned a lot of appraisal from our friends and colleagues. He was the smartest in our duo. Always looked after me and defended me in past fights when I couldn’t protect myself.

Now it was my turn to save him. I’ll get him out of that disgusting place they call an ‘institute’ and bring him back here. To EXOrdium. Where we were safe from people who casted us out. From the ones who called us witches, outcasts, monsters.

“Hey, too far,” Chanyeol scowls and places a hand on my shoulder. “It’s not Mina’s fault her brain is too small. It can't handle the pressure of bending a fork for too long.”

“You guys are s.” I shove Chanyeol away from me. The two laugh, causing me to punch Jongdae square in the chest. I knock the air out of him and he falls back, leaning against the wall as he clutches his chest.

“Ow, hey,” he groans, “he said it, not me.”

“You started it.” I glare at his now-crouched figure then turn to Chanyeol. “If we could go back to the important topic, that’d be great. Did Suho say when the meeting will take place?”

“He’ll probably hold it later this night or early in the morning. He wants to wait until Minseok is back from his scouting.” Chanyeol is suppressing a grin as he says this. Seeing Jongdae in pain seemed amusing to him.

Minseok is another squad leader and also has the title of co-founder of EXOrdium. Both he and Suho were the ones who created this underground organization to help us Holders stay away from the danger that is our society.

About the time Sehun and I were thirteen years-old, our abilities began to pop up in our lives. The first time I witnessed my ability was when I punched in my school locker out of frustration. The dent that had been left behind looked like it could have came from a grown man. Sehun’s showed up when an older boy was continuously pulling at my skirt. He had gone to push the boy away from me but before he could make direct contact, a strong gust of wind blew the bully to the ground.

To say the least, our parents were shocked to find out their twins were Holders. No one in the family possessed abilities. But then again, abilities came randomly to those who are ‘infected’ and were not genetically passed down. Our parents tried to hide us away, giving excuses to the school and doctors how we were too sick to leave the house. That very excuse caused a medical emergency group to barge into our home. They tried to take us away but our parents fought against them. Sehun managed to fight back as well, unintentionally throwing two of them across the living room and out the window with gusts of wind.

Our mother was able to help us escape the house but urged us to go on our own after running a few blocks down, telling each other to take care of the other. It was the last time we saw her and our father. Skip forward a few rough days later and Suho comes to our rescue with a promise to help us. To this day, not only am I thankful to Suho but I am in debt for how kind and willing he was to help out some kids who were wandering the streets.

“He’s out on another scout?” Jongdae’s eyebrow raises in question. “That’s the second one this week and it’s only Wednesday.”

“For good reason, though. There’s pressure on finding a way to break in because there’s been more kidnappings lately.” Chanyeol replies. “Suho’s said there’s been more than five in the past two weeks. That’s more than the usual three or four per month.”

The three of us fall silent as we think about our missing brothers and sisters. Their missing persons don’t cause any grief for the Regulars but instead bring happiness and relief to them. It means one less of us roaming the streets that they have to worry about. As for us, it brings a pit of fear that settles in our guts. Any of us could be the next one to go missing and no one would know until a few days later when the names of the captured ones are announced on Friday's newscast.

I sigh, shaking my head, “I just hope Suho and Minseok will be able to think of something quick. The two of them put together work wonders.”

“Are you calling the rest of us dumb?” Jongdae feigns offense to my comment.

“Well, have you thought of anything?” His silence is answer enough and I shake my head, “That’s what I thought.”

“You should have respect for your elders.” He wags a finger at me. “I’ve been here longer than you and plus, I’m a superior.”

“You just recently got promoted.” I remind him. “Before that, you were on guard duty.”

“That was still a pretty important job.” Jongdae defends his recent position with a pout.

“Mhm, I’m sure standing at the entrance for five to seven hours was very entertaining and so very important to us.” I roll my eyes.

“Hey, that’s what I do.” Chanyeol exclaims.

“Exactly.”


A/N:
More of a filler on the twins' background and of the Holder/rebellion group c: