Two.

Ascension

 

tumblr_ognfdtYQba1r3hdhfo1_540.gif

 

Mina

 

“If you ruin one more fork, I’m going to put you on dish duty.” Chanyeol threatens as he passed by the lunch table I was sitting at. My focus that was once on the metal utensil in front of me shifts to him.

 

“Do that and you’ll be wishing you didn’t,” I retort with a teasing grin. I set the bent fork back down on my lunch tray. “I’ll make sure the dogs get ahold of your utensils before you do!”

 

Chanyeol doesn’t look back but still shakes his head in disapproval over my joke. I watch his figure stand in line for today’s meal before looking back down to the blueprints that laid on the table before me. I grab my red pen and mark a path from the building’s main entrance up to the point that is available for guests. If there was a way of finding an opening to the actual facility, then we would be able to break in.

 

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen you work so hard before.” Chanyeol comments from in front of me minutes later. “Other than your training days when you were so adamant on re-shaping every item that was made of metal.”

 

“I’m sure you would too if your brother was captured.” I tap my pen against the table, looking up at him.

 

“Good thing I’m an only child then, huh?”

 

“Not funny.” I roll my eyes. “Anyway, any news?”

 

His playful expression vanishes. “Nothing yet. Suho hasn’t said a single thing.”


"Really?"

 

He nods then points to the blueprints, "What's going on over here?"

 

"I was just trying to see if there was an area in the building where we could sneak in from." I confess, showing him the red path I had drawn up. "It doesn't look like we have many openings. And the openings we would have are probably heavily guarded."

 

"Looks like they don't want anyone coming in or out." He comments and I nod in agreement. "We'll find something soon, I'm sure of it. We have geniuses on this rescue team. You being one of them."

 

"Yeah, well, we aren't all that smart if everyone is still locked up." My shoulders slump and I slide down on my seat. My arms fold over my chest as I scan the blueprints once more. Where would they be hiding my brother and the others?

 

“Mina,” my gaze shifts to Chanyeol who offers a reassuring smile, “we’re going to get him back, okay?”

 

“Of course we are.” My signature grin returns and he chuckles.” We just have to be quick about it because I don’t want to hear my little bro’s complaining afterwards.”

 

“I’m glad you’re not as depressed about this as you were when it was first announced.” Chanyeol says.

 

I slightly cringe, remembering the way I had acted a few days ago. When Suho called us down to his office to tell us my brother was kidnapped by W.O.M.A., I nearly lost it. My usual tanned cheeks paled, my bottom lip trembled, and my hazel eyes glistened. The water works had started seconds later. First a tear followed by another then they all came at once. I squatted down to the floor and pressed my palms hard against my eyes as I wailed.

 

“I can’t be.”

 

“It’s okay to let your feelings show more, you know?” He says with sincerity, a frown apparent on his face. “Bottling them up for too long isn’t healthy.”

 

“I’ve been doing it up until now, what’s a little longer?” I pick at a hangnail on my thumb, refusing to make eye contact. I could feel his eyes on me and the last thing I wanted to do was to look up. “I just want my brother back.”

 

“You will. I promise you that we will break into that damned building and free every single Holder in there.” Chanyeol’s voice was filled with passion as he uttered every word. He was always passionate and determined when talking about W.O.M.A. Then again, who wouldn’t be after witnessing the death of a friend before their very eyes?

 

Back when my brother and I were first recruited by Suho, there had been a third new recruitment around the same time. Jooheon was his name. He was bright, enthusiastic and was ready to fight the minute a weapon was in his hand. But that wild personality of his was the same reason for his death.

 

One day, when the two of us were practicing against each other in the training quarters, we overheard a group talking about a W.O.M.A. patrol that was nearby. Jooheon thought it would be a good idea to sneak out and confront the group. I immediately rejected his plan because for one, we were both trainees and I still had no control over my powers, and two, we would get killed instantly if it was just the two of us.

 

But did that pea-brained idiot listen to me? Of course not. No one listens to Mina. Except for my brother on very rare occasions.

 

Anyway, Jooheon managed to get away from me and at the time, my fourteen year old self was still out of shape to chase after him. I had panicked and found Chanyeol in his room, telling him in rushed words what was going to happen. Because there wasn’t enough time to get backup, Chanyeol ended up running after Jooheon by himself.

 

The short minutes felt like hours before Chanyeol returned alone. Alone. A sinking feeling filled my stomach as I looked at the blood on his hands and the dogtag that dangled from his fingers. Jooheon always wore that dogtag and never once took it off in the time I knew him. So for Chanyeol to have it with him at a time like this only meant one thing.

 

“I have the feeling you’re day-dreaming over there.” Chanyeol's words brought me back to reality. I looked at the dog tag that hung around his neck. “It better be good thoughts. The last thing we need right now is for you to have your head filled with these terrible ideas.”

 

“I’m fine.” I lie, picking up the fork I had bent earlier.

 

“Oh my god, I just noticed that. Are you kidding me?” He snatches the utensil out of my hand and scowls down at it. “This is what, your seventh one this week? I’m definitely telling Suho to put you on dish duty.”

 

“Washing a couple of plates and bowls is the least of my worries right now.” I purse my lips together, watching as he bends the fork back to its original shape against the table.

 

Chanyeol opens his mouth to speak when someone rushes up to our table. Our attention turns to the girl who stands in front of us.

 

“Chanyeol, Leader Suho wants a word with you.” She announces. “We’ve found a lead on W.O.M.A.”

 

My heart leaps in joy and I look over to Chanyeol only to find him already staring at me. I suppress the hopeful smile that wants to appear and say, “Well? What are you waiting for? Get a move on!”

 

Chanyeol scrambles to his feet and leaves his tray behind as he follows the girl out of the mess hall. My hands clasp together on my lap as I silently pray for the news to be something about my brother.

Sehun, I promise we’ll get you out of there soon.