Fourteen. (End of Part I)

Ascension

 

Mina

 

The fact that I’m currently leaning against Suho’s door and haven’t been questioned for my suspicious activities is a mystery to me. A good handful of recruits have walked by but instead of stopping by and asking what I was doing eavesdropping, they’ve given curious glances and remained walking passed me. Not like I mind though, I’d rather have no one bother me so I can pay attention to the blocked voices discuss the mission’s details.

 

I haven’t been able to catch most of the things they’ve said but from my understanding, they were currently arguing about who should go. From the way everyone sounded, it didn’t seem like the room was on the same page of who had been chosen.

 

“I can’t stay behind,” the notorious Kim Jongdae announces, confidence laced in his tone. “Who will set the building ablaze if I’m not there to strike down lightning?”

 

“Me, .” Chanyeol retorts and I can only imagine the cocky grin he’s showcasing. “Have you forgotten I’m a Holder of fire?”

 

“I am, too, in a way.” The elder whines. I roll my eyes at the sudden turn of the conversation. Children.

 

“Um, Mina?” Yixing’s gentle voice sends me reeling away from the door in fluster. I bashedly look up at him as he stands before me, a look of confusion on his face. “What are you doing?”

 

“I-uh,” I stammer to find an excuse but come up empty handed. Yixing wasn’t someone who could be easily fooled, I’ve realized this from the few days I’ve known him. Feeling defeated, I meekly say, “Don’t tell Suho?”

 

“Of course I won’t.” He frowns, whether out of disappointment or offense. “Why are you trying to listen to the meeting?”

 

For obvious reasons, of course.

 

I couldn’t bring myself to lie to Yixing’s kind face and I press my lips together, opting to stay quiet instead. He glances at the door then back to me, letting out a puff of air.

 

Finally realizing Yixing is on the same side of the door as me, I ask, “aren’t you supposed to be in there?”

 

“Woke up late,” he chuckles, handing coming up to scratch the back of his head.

 

“It’s three in the afternoon.” I reply and he blushes.

 

“That place is working me to the bone.” He sighs. “I’m thankful for Saturdays…” we remain silent after his comment, neither knowing what to say about our uneventful encounter. Yixing curls his lips into a soft smile, surprising me. “Tell you what; I’ll fill you in on whatever is discussed, okay? I know it must be hard to not be able to attend these.”

 

“Thank you.” I utter in shock as he pats my head.

 

“Don’t worry about it. Now off you go.” He waves his hand to shoo me away as he walks towards the door.

 

I scramble to get away before the others notice my presence and rush down the hall. An unsettling thought arises in the back of my head as I turn a corner and I couldn’t shake it off.

 

How did Yixing know I knew about the secret meetings?

 

␛␛␛

 

It felt like hours were dragging by as I impatiently waited for Yixing to make an appearance. I assumed he was going to meet me in my room so here I was, laying on my bed, waiting for him to come. I look over to the flower he had given me, scrutinizing its beauty and perfection. There was not a single flaw with the plant, save for its fragility that it possessed. One misstep could break its stem and its beauty would vanish.

 

In a way, I could compare myself to that flower. We were both so fragile and easy to break with no self-defense that could protect us. Unlike this flower, I plan on becoming strong to prove my worth here. I will show just how useful I can be, no matter the obstacles I’d have to face.

 

A knock sounded throughout my room and I spring up. “Come in.”

 

The door opens and in walks Jongdae, the last person I expected to come waltzing in. He gives his cat-lipped smile as he softly shuts the door.

 

“I have a favor to ask of you,” he announces, leaning against the door.

 

I arch an eyebrow. “What is it?”

 

“First of all, Suho told us today that you knew about the separate meetings so don’t question how I know about that.” Jongdae chuckles when my cheeks begin to catch color. “And so here’s where the favor rolls in… I need you to play backup for me tonight.”

 

“Tonight?” I repeat, interest piquing at his words. “Why? Tired already of your guard duties?”

 

“Haha, very funny,” he mocks, “no. They’re doing the mission tonight. And Chanyeol was put in instead of me.”

 

“Wow, you’re even lamer than I thought.” I snort. After processing the entirety of his words, I widen my eyes, “Wait, tonight? Isn’t it too soon for that?”

 

“One: that’s really rude, okay? I have feelings, too. Two: I thought the same thing but I guess Suho and Minseok think differently. Either way, it’s going down tonight.” He explains, eyes straying here and there around the room.

 

“So, you’re telling me all of this because…?”

 

“Well, I’ll be going on the mission but uninvited and unnoticed.” A devious smirk makes its way onto his lips. “So, I need you to cover for me. If anyone asks, say I got food poison or something and locked myself in my room.”

 

“Whoa, no way,” I shake my head. “You think after telling me all of this, I’m going to just agree and let you go on your merry way?”

 

“Well… yeah?” He smiles weakly. “We’re friends, aren’t we?”
 

“That’s not the point. I want to come with.” I defiantly cross my arms, gaze piercing through him. “This is the perfect opportunity to go and there’s no way I’ll be passing it up.”

 

“It’ll be too dangerous.” Jongdae immediately denies my request, shaking his head. “I can’t risk-”

 

“I’m so tired of hearing how dangerous and how useless I’ll be,” I snap, catching him off guard. “I’m not as weak as I appear. I’m just as strong as anyone of you. If I can’t use my power then I can use a gun.”

 

The two of us both stand our guard, solidly staring at one another without another word. Jongdae’s eyebrow twitches, out of annoyance or unnerving, I’m not sure. It feels like minutes tick by before Jongdae is exasperatedly throwing his arms up, claiming defeat.

 

“Ugh, fine, whatever.” He groans, causing me to smile in victory. “You listen to me, though. Through the entire thing, got it? No complaints, no rebellious actions, nothing.”

 

I bring my hand to my forehead in a mock salute, “Yes, sir.”

 

␛␛␛

 

Jongdae and I were able to successfully leave the hideout without anyone questioning our departure. I liked to believe it because of Jongdae’s guard status and the fact that no one wanted to get themselves involved with a guard’s duty unless they wanted their ear talked off by one of our leaders.

 

Yixing never did end up coming by my room to tell me what was talked over in the meeting. I assumed he was busy or couldn’t find a chance to sneak away. I didn’t want to believe he didn’t come on purpose because he knew how reckless I would have acted with the information I obtained. In the end, it all worked out the same. I was able to get the data I wanted and still be able to unofficially go on the mission.

 

Currently, we were taking a different route to the W.O.M.A. facility to avoid encountering the others. Jongdae and I were well-equipped with our own sets of armour and weaponry, thanks to Jongdae who was able to sweet talk the armory clerk.

 

I fiddle with the knife I hid in my pocket, nerves kicking in after realizing that this was finally happening. I was going to be able to see my brother after our painful separation.

 

“We’re almost there.” Jongdae claims, his pace beginning to slow. “We need to stay out of their view or else we’ll be in deep .”

 

“You never told me why you wanted to go so badly.” I voice my curiosity, risking a glance at his relaxed expression.

 

“Well, why not, you know?” He chuckles. “It’s been the most exciting news that’s circled around our place in a while. I’m always stuck with missions that include finding new recruits. Although, they do have their perks. I want a taste of adventure for once.”

 

I nod my head in understandment, knowing where he was coming from. Our thirst for adventures were similar, that much I could say.

 

“Plus, Baekhyun got to go which, by the way, I find to be complete and utter bull. What can that guy do other than be a human flashlight, huh? Why did his stupid sparkling balls get picked over my thunderous lightning?”

 

I roll my eyes, “And here I thought you came for a good reason.”

 

Jongdae halts to a stop, myself following suit. He swiftly ducks behind a mailbox and pulls me with him, hiding my body with his.

 

“Looks like they’re already there,” he declares, motioning to the facility a block away. I try to peek over his shoulder but Jongdae gestures for me to stay put, his head shaking as a second indicator. “I’m not sure when they’ll be doing the explosion…”
 

“Explosion?” I repeat, eyes widening. “Wouldn’t that draw attention?”

 

“Well, yes.”

 

“What the kind of plan is that?” I utter, reeling away to fully look at him.

 

“Shh, you’re going to get us caught.” He scowls and pulls me back beside him. “Yixing mentioned a Holder in there who is able to teleport. They’re going for him first, then Sehun. Unless plans have changed.”
 

“What if they can’t get both of them?”

 

“Then it’ll just be the teleporter for now,” he simply says and my nostrils flare in anger. He seems to notice my disapproval because he risks looking back at me, “Hey, don’t worry. Do you know who we’re talking about here? Every member on that rescue team is skilled and prepared for the worst.”

 

I anxiously bite my bottom lip, wanting Jongdae’s words to comfort me. But they don’t. We only have one good chance at this and if this fails, then their defenses will strengthen and they will be more alert. I only hope they’ll have time to get my brother out of there.

 

A deafening eruption sends Jongdae and I to the ground, my face painfully scraping against the pavement in the process. Mini aftershocks follow suit and we struggle to our feet, unsteady from the rocking of the ground. Jongdae helps my balancing and laughs in disbelief.

 

“I couldv'e done better.”


 

Kyungsoo

 

Looking up at the white ceiling always dampened my mood significantly because of how bleak its appearance was. Everything in this building was bleak - constricting was the better term to use. My eyelids were beginning to grow heavy as exhaustion overtook me. I finally willed my eyes to close, accepting the sleeping medication to take over.

 

My eyes were not closed for long, mere minutes maybe, before they flew open when a loud explosion sounded across the area. I stumble out of bed, falling to my knees from an aftershock. The walls rumble and sirens begin to blare. I pace over to the door, peering outside the barred window to catch a wishful glimpse of what was happening inside the building.

 

I make eye contact with Jongin who is also glancing out of his window, I call out to him, “What’s going on?”

 

“I don’t know!” He cups his mouth in an attempt to talk over the alarms’ deafening cries. “Do you think it’s-” Jongin stops mid-sentence as guards rush down the hallway, armed with guns and bulbous armor.

 

“Code 327: There’s been a breach.” One guard yells into his earpiece. “I repeat, back quarters have been breached.”

 

Jongin and I glance back at one another, undoubtedly sharing the same thought.

 

They’re here.

 

END OF PART ONE

 
 

IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hi guys!! First of all, thank you dearly for supporting Ascension so much, expecially when I didn't update as often as before but you all still had the same enthusiasm as day one when I got back on schedule. ANYWAY! The actual point of this note was to announce that this story will be marked as complete for about a week or so. I entered a writing contest (From Heads to Toes) and one of the requirements is to have the entries marked as 'complete'. THIS IS NOT THE END OF ASCENSION. Part One has been completed, and I can't wait to start Part Two with you guys!!