| Monochromacy | Sangwook |

| Boys 24 - One Shots |

Grey, that would be the colour he would describe his life with.

Not because he was depressed or that his life was a mess. No it was because of his eyes, they were the reason he could only see grey. The doctors made him do various tests to figure out what he has, and the news he got was devastating to his parents- since he was young he didn't know what it was or what to expect.

 The disease he has is called monochromacy, also known as total colour blindness. It means he can't see any colours, all he can see is black, white and grey tints. The doctors told him it's caused by a cone defect or absence, that it occurs when two or all three of the cone pigments are missing colours and lightness vision is reduced to one dimension. 

He didn't understand what was going on either, but he had lived with this condition his entire life so he was dealing with it. When he was a child he did learn the name of the colours, but he had no idea what they meant. The red car, green grass and more of those he never understood and sadly will never understand. 

But he decided to get the most out of life, not to let this stop him from doing what he loves the most which happened to be singing. Reading the music sheets didn't acquire the ability to see colour so it was perfect for him, and because of this disease he put so much passion into his singing that you could feel the pain he went through.

Every Saturday afternoon he was allowed to sing a few songs for the crowd in a small local cafe, and as the weeks passed more and more people came to see him sing. Which caused the owner to hire him, instead of singing just one day in the week, it turned into four afternoons en one evening.

It was Saturday late in the afternoon as he and his friends were drinking their coffee. Sangwook had just finished performing and afterwards he always got some free coffee. 

"Thanks for the coffee Wook, you do know you don't have to do this every time we come to watch you perform" his friend Yeontae said as he lightly patted the back of his friend with a smile.

Sangwook smiled as he put the cup down, "it's okay guys, it's my treat", he stood up as he grabbed his phone and wallet from the table, "do any of you guys want another one? Or something else".

Yeontae shook his head, "if you give me more coffee I will be pieing all night".

His eyes wondered to his other friend who was just about to take a sip of his drink.

"I think you're still good right Yeonsuk" he said with a grin.

The other boy chuckled with a nod, "yeah it's okay, thanks Wookie".

Sangwook shook his head with a chuckle, he hated the nickname 'Wookie'. But since Yeontae and Yeonsuk are his best friends he always let it slip.

He told his friends he would be right back before he made his way towards the cash register. Smiling as the customers in the cafe greeted him, giving him compliments about his performance. This was one of the things he loved about performing out in public- hearing how people liked it, how they got inspired by him.

All of the sudden a girl stood up from her chair, causing him to bump into her. 

"I am so sorry" the girl told him as she held his shoulder, afraid he would fall.

The reason for this was that Sangwook's eyes were wide open, he was holding onto a chair as he looked at it in horror. He couldn't believe what was happening to him.

"Are you okay? Please be okay" she begged him, not letting go of his shoulder. 

Sangwook was blinking his eyes, he couldn't believe what was happening right now. His head shot up as he looked around. His eyes landed on the clock, then to the bar, behind him and looking back in front of him at the girl.

She looked at him with a look of horror, afraid that she actually hurt him with just a simple bump into his shoulder. "Come sit down, maybe you'll feel better then".

"Excuse me, what colour is this" he asked the girl as he pointed as his shirt.

She raised her eyebrow as she looked down at his chest, "it's a sky blue colour, it looks nice".

Sangwook smiled at her as he got a hold of her shoulders, "I don't know how to say this, and I hope I don't scare you off but, but I can suddenly see colours".

"But I thought you had monochromacy" the girl exclaimed.

He nodded, as he looked at the girl. So many colours and he didn't know which one holds what name. Sangwook couldn't explain how happy he was to see more then the three colours he grew up with, it's as if a whole new world opened up in front of him.

Never once had he imagined what it would be like to see colours, how he would feel to finally know how a red car looks like. Happiness wasn't a big enough word explain how he was feeling right now, he was overjoyed right now.

He let go of the girl, "I'm sorry I must have scared you" he apologized when he saw the confused look on her face. She must now think that he's crazy and he was faking the whole monochromacy.

"No it's not that, it's just that I heard stories about people with monochromacy who can suddenly see colours when they meet their soulmate and lose that vision after that person passes away" the girl said.

Sangwook raised his eyebrows, "soulmate? Isn't that a little far fetched".

The girl chuckled, "well aren't you the living proof of that".

The two of them looked at each other before letting out a soft chuckle.

"Calling you my soulmate is a little soon, but how about I treat you on some coffee and see where faith takes us".

She smiled at him as she nodded, "sure we'll let faith decide, and coffee is the least you can do for me after that scare".

Sangwook smiled as he walked her towards the bar.

He could not believe that something like this could ever happen to him.

[ some people can open up your eyes and make you see colours in a different way ]

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6158327835545856712d657148773d3d2d3437353735383039372e3134656231643137633366613337643531353830323137363431312e6a7067