Eight

Language & Lyrics

1.20PM Wednesday 19 April 2017

 

The past two weeks felt like hell. It was obvious that the whole group was aware of what had happened between me and the youngest member but no one wanted to mention it. Which was fine with me, but it, nevertheless, was awkward. Hyein and Jieun were both sympathetic about my plight. Initially, I did not want to burden Hyein with the problem since she was working in such close quarters with the team but she learnt of it from Heechul. My main concern was that there was a likelihood of me losing my job if this had been leaked to the management. I did not know how long they could keep it under wraps especially since Kyuhyun had not been turning up for any of his classes ever since that day.

 

The biggest twist this turn of events brought was that I found my unlikely confidant in Heechul. Before I met Heechul, I was not entirely a fan of him. He was loud, flamboyant and oozed promiscuity. He was still those, but underneath that colourful exterior was a caring and kind heart. From that day he found me crying in the classroom, he had been nothing else but had become the attentive older brother that I never had. In the sessions that was reserved for Kyuhyun, Heechul would pop by with coffee in his hands. Initially, he came to console me but when it was made clear that that Kyuhyun had given up on his lessons, Heechul and I got to know each other better, sharing our anecdotes in life.

 

My body was feeling lethargic and every step I took felt like I was carrying an extra ten pounds. I must be coming down with the flu. The yearly Asian Dust has hit our airwaves and wearing a mask was not of much help.

 

“You look worse than death.”

 

I looked up and saw Heechul leaning against the classroom door. The aroma of coffee engulfed the corridor as I walked towards him.

 

“What are you doing here? Your lesson isn’t till 4 o'clock, right?”

 

Heechul opened the door and set one cup down on the teacher’s table.

 

“I had nothing to do in the dorm so I decided to pop by earlier.”

 

He sat by one of the students’ tables, sipping his drink as I began preparing for my lesson. Leeteuk was the first student of the day and I was not looking forward to it. For the past two weeks, he was not his usual self in class. It was unnerving and frustrating at the same time but I did not want to open Pandora’s box. I knew it had to do with Kyuhyun and I was not ready to discuss it with anyone other than Heechul.

 

There was a knock on the door about a while later and Leeteuk entered, dressed casually in jeans and a plain white tee. He bowed in greeting and did not seem surprised to see Heechul. The two men exchanged glances and Heechul stood up, both of them walking towards my desk.

 

I felt my blood grow cold and I looked up nervously at the two males. Heechul grabbed a chair from the nearest desk while Leeteuk settled on the already available chair. Both of them looked dead serious and I felt my stomach knot up. Why did it feel like I was in a meeting with not one, but two stony-faced head masters?

 

Leeteuk spoke up first.

 

“Heechul and I agreed that we owe you an apology.”

 

I raised both of my eyebrows and looked from Heechul to Leeteuk. Heechul shook his head and motioned for me to remain silent.

 

“We can't apologize for what Kyuhyun did. He has to do that himself but as the eldest members of Super Junior, we may have let the pranks go on too far. Our reputation as prank masters preceded us and even though we have all decided to stop doing it, it seems that many in the company have warned you about it. That's why you were probably so wary about Kyuhyun. ” Leeteuk sighed before continuing. “We didn't know that it will have such serious consequences. We just thought it would be a fun and memorable way to welcome staff.”

 

I raised another eyebrow again. How was this fun? Memorable, sure. I don't think anyone can ever forget being victimized by Super Junior.

 

It was Heechul who then spoke up.

 

“What this old man is trying to say is…”

 

Heechul received a prompt jab of the elbow from the Leader. The former swore loudly and began massaging his bruised side as Leeteuk turned his focus back to me.

 

“We are awfully childish. I think you have seen enough by now to know that. But the members have all agreed that we should put a stop to this pranking thing we have been doing.”

 

I could not help myself.

 

“Was it because you were threatened you can't have a comeback this year if you made another staff cry?”

 

Leeteuk’s jaw dropped low enough that it could have fallen out of his face while Heechul raised a finger at me.

 

“You know too much!”

 

I scrunched my nose and gave the two males an accusing glare.

 

“You guys are horrible for doing that to so many members of the staff.”

 

“We’ve already apologized to them. And that's why we are apologizing to you now. Rest assured that there will be no more pranks from us anymore.” Leeteuk paused before smiling again, his dimples being even more pronounced. “I can't speak for Hyukjae but there will be no more team pranks under Super Junior’s name anymore.”

 

“We're grown-up, mature adults now.” Heechul added.

 

I couldn't help but give a disbelieving snort. The three of us fell silent for a couple of moments before Heechul looked up at me again.

 

“I knew what Kyuhyun was going to do that day. That's why I was waiting outside.”

 

That statement wiped the grin off my face and my eyebrows shot up yet again.

 

“The worse we were expecting was for you to get upset and slap him and I had to go in and get him out. So I was also stunned when I heard you talk about Star King and Kyuhyun’s experience with the nurse.”

 

I flinched. One mention of Star King and I was immediately transported back to the memory of the argument. The embarrassment I felt back then was slowing returning and my palms began to feel sweaty.

 

“You heard us?”

 

Heechul nodded his head vigorously, totally enthusiastic about recounting the day and oblivious to my obvious growing discomfort.

 

“You guys weren't exactly whispering. And the both of you just got louder and louder.”

 

I raised my hands in defeat.

 

“Alright, we all know what happened. You don't have to repeat it!”

 

Heechul looked affronted and narrowed his eyes at me.

 

“I was just saying-”

 

“You're our fan, aren't you?”

 

Heechul turned to the man beside him, wearing the same offended look as he was interrupted mid-sentence.

 

“Only a fan would know information like that. Not everyone would tune in to Star King and remember facts about our members.”

 

I cringed again at the mention of the show and looked at Leeteuk helplessly.

 

“Yes, I admit. I am a fan. Hyein was the one who told me to lie in the interview.”

 

Heechul tutted and gave me a look reminiscent of what my grandma used to give me when she handed me a cookie before dinner when Mom clearly told me not to have one.

 

“What the managers don't know won't kill them.” He said offhandedly, before finishing the last of his coffee in one gulp.

 

“So who's account did you watch that day when we were all doing Instalive for Yesung’s solo?”

 

“Don't raise your hopes up, old man. You're not her favorite.”

 

Leeteuk looked at me curiously and I felt my face redden under his imploring gaze.

 

“I don't have an account so I didn't watch any of it till much later.”

 

Heechul stood up suddenly, looking smug.

 

“You and that Kyuhyun are meant to be.” Shaking his head in amusement, he began to snigger and walked towards the door, disposing the empty coffee cup in the bin. “Who exists on this earth without an Instagram account? Even our CEO has one.”

 

The door closed behind him and the room fell into silence. I turned to Leeteuk, who remained in his chair and was watching me bemusedly. He shook his head and chuckled and brought his notebook out. It was nice to have the usual, cheerful Leeteuk back.