One

Language & Lyrics

8PM Monday 31 January 2017

 

It was a Monday afternoon when Hyein came into my room, wrapped in her oversized shawl as she carried two cups of hot chocolate. We were grateful for the Lunar New Year break. Being out and about in Seoul right now would have given us a frostbite.

 

Despite having lived in the capital for the past six years, both of us still dreaded winter season the most. Initially, we were fascinated. Coming from a country where it was tropical heat all year round, the cold temperatures were a welcome change. However, that fascination was short lived as I found it such a hassle to wear layers upon layers of clothes just to keep warm. Hyein was a little less agitated but she found it extremely unpleasant when she had to work outdoors during winter.

 

“Here’s your hot chocolate.”

 

I thanked my best friend and made room for her on the bed as she made herself comfortable. A rerun of this week’s episode of Good Manager was playing on TV and Hyein had missed this week’s episode as she was away for the week.

 

Hyein and I met in Kondae University when we were both spending our final year as exchange students. Hyein was majoring in Cosmetology while I was pursuing Linguistics. We hit it off instantly during orientation and it just made sense for us to be roommates throughout the year long exchange programme. Hyein was the yin to my yang and we were complete opposites - the perfect testimony to “Opposites Attract”. We did have our similarities and that just made for more fun times in our friendship. After graduation, Hyein and I started on our respective careers and kept in contact. It was only a year ago when I was offered a teaching post in the Canadian International School in Seoul that I contacted Hyein and she suggested we search for a flat and live together again.

 

And here we are today, I’m onto my second year as an English teacher to Korean and Expat preschoolers while Hyein has a more glamorous job - she has been a makeup artist with the renowned, or perhaps infamous, SM Entertainment for the past two and a half years.

 

Our love for Korean pop and Korean idols back in college was what we bonded over. We may like different groups but there was that special spark that we both shared and led to the blossoming friendship. When she told me of the news of her internship with SM Entertainment was going to be a permanent post, I screamed so much that Mrs Kim from next door had to knock and check on me. Hyein was perfect for the job, she was level headed and kept a cool head, most of the times. We went to so many concerts in Seoul and she left all the screaming to me. I often joked that all those repressed emotions would be the cause of her death. How can she remain so calm when there's men as gorgeous as Choi Siwon? But it did not take long for her to break. It was only after her second month at work and she received news that she was going to be assigned with Super Junior. It turned out my dear friend still had the heart of a fangirl and only needed Super Junior’s lead dancer to bring out that side of her. Ever since, she has not been the same and still nurses that crush on Lee Hyukjae up to this very day.

 

“Are you ready for the interview?” Hyein asked as the commercial break started.

 

A couple of weeks ago, Hyein brought back news that upon Sungmin and Shindong’s return from the army, the company had decided for the remaining active members of Super Junior to have regular English lessons in preparation for their comeback scheduled later this year.

 

“They've been active for 11 years and the company only decides that they should only learn English now?” I scoffed.

 

Hyein shrugged in response, “Well, Siwon’s English isn't fantastic and they have problems with interpreters all the time. Besides, it's your ultimate bias. Wouldn't you want to meet your beloved Sungmin Oppa?”

 

She knew my weakness.

 

“I teach preschoolers. I can't teach adults. And not just adults. Hot guys. Guys I’ve been screaming and crying over since I was in high school.”

 

“Oh come on, just give it a try. It will just be another teaching job and it will definitely pay well. Just think of the hot guys as your little kiddies at work. Their English skills are of the same level.” Hyein joked as she laid the table for dinner. “You won't lose anything. If they don't call you up then you stay with the school. I thought it would be fun if we worked for the same company. We can split our Uber fares.

 

Rolling my eyes, I promised Hyein I would think about the offer.



“I should think so. It’s just another interview for another job right. I’ve done interviews before.”




9AM Friday 3 February 2017

 

Hyein and I were walking to Apgeujeong Rodeo Avenue. Today was the day of my interview, the day that I would step into the SM building for the first time. Despite my earlier indifference, I was a human bundle of nerves. Even in the 3 degree weather, I could feel beads of perspiration forming on my forehead as we inched closer to the destination.

 

“Good thing the lip tint I gave you is strong enough to stay through all that biting you're doing.” Hyein nudged me, waking me from my nervous reverie.

 

“It's just starting to hit me. I’m walking to SMTown’s building. It's so surreal. Do you think I will be able to see anyone there today?” I was hopeful. It is not everyday when an ordinary person can step into the exclusive building and I wanted to use this one chance to the best I could.

 

“The Super Junior members will be there. They are celebrating Kyuhyun’s birthday later.”

 

That was enough for me to squeal and just multiplied the butterflies in my stomach.

 

“I’ll introduce you to your Oppa” Hyein teased.

 

I punched her lightly, almost losing my step on the slippery road. “Oh hush it. He's already married. I’m over him.”

 

“Oh please. You think I don't see that bookmark with his face.You have one in your planner and you use the limited edition one that I gave you from Super Show 4 in every new book you start reading. And his birthday is still your passcode for your phone. And…”

 

“Alright, I surrender.” I raised a portion of my white scarf and waved it in front of Hyein.

 

We soon reached the premises and after I exchanged my ID for a Visitor’s Pass at the guard house, Hyein walked with me to the receptionist’s table.

 

“Good Morning Jieun, this is my friend Mina who is applying for the English Teacher post. Her interview’s at 9.30?”

 

The petite girl called Jieun was about our age and gave me a welcoming smile.

 

“I’m so glad to meet you. Hyein wouldn't stop talking about you and insisted I put your name in for an interview immediately!”

 

I gave Hyein a look to which she responded by pretending to not hear and asked Jieun for the interview room.

 

“On the 5th floor, Miran will be waiting upstairs.”

 

Hyein began walking towards the lift lobby and I followed behind her.

 

“Oh, and I really hope you get the job. Hyein is no fun, she doesn't spill on the gossip regarding the boys. Good luck!”

 

Hyein laughed as I bowed towards Jieun again, unable to speak as the anxiety was overwhelming. I could feel the butterflies morphing into elephants. I exhaled noisily as Hyein and I entered the lift.

 

“Oh get a grip. You will do well, I have complete faith in you. You're well qualified and you're top SM employee Kang Hyein’s recommendation.”

 

The lift doors opened and my best friend pushed me out of the lift. She turned me around to face her and I was greeted with a warm expression.

 

“Smile. Just do your best. You’ll ace this!”

 

Hyein then pulled me for a hug and I felt myself relax slightly.

 

“It's just another interview right.”

 

I took in a deep breath and nodded. “You’re right. I’m being stupid.” I shook my head and hugged Hyein tightly for a couple more seconds before letting go.

 

“Fighting!” We cheered as she stepped back into a waiting lift.

 

“Text me when you're done. I’ll come to meet you.”

 

I nodded my head and smiled a little more widely. As the doors closed, I turned and walked into the hallway and followed the direction a sign was pointing to regards the interview room.

 

In the room, a middle aged lady with permed hair looked up and gave me a small smile.

 

“You must be Miss Jung. Please have a seat as the panel is preparing for your interview. You can help yourself to the drinks there.” She then pointed to the desk that had a tray of paper cups.

 

I fiddled with my jacket and my bag before I decided to head to the table. I was not thirsty but I thought having a drink in my hands would calm me down.

 

45 minutes later

 

“Looking at your qualifications and experience, we think you are more than qualified. However…” The man in the plaid shirt paused. Earlier, he introduced himself as the head of Super Junior’s management team and the other 4 men beside him were the other support staff involved with the legendary group.

 

The pause felt like an eternity. I thought the interview was going well and I felt comfortable within the first ten minutes. What was wrong? Was I too overconfident?

 

“However, you know the nature of this job. How comfortable are you accepting a position that you cannot talk about? Not even to family.”

 

That was it? Confidentiality? I felt myself instantly relax and nodded my head understandingly. “I completely understand and that is not an issue for me. You can be confident nothing will come out from me as long as I am employed with you. I don't fancy being blacklisted my companies and risking being deported home. It has always been a dream for me to work and stay in Korea and I will work hard to keep that dream of mine as real and for as long as I can. You can rest assured I will not do anything to risk the company or the group I am working with.”

 

The five men nodded and after giving each other looks and more nods, Mr Plaid Shirt spoke again.

 

“Are you a fan of Super Junior?”

 

I smiled inwardly as I remembered Hyein’s words from earlier.

 

“They will definitely ask you if a fan. You have to say no. Lie if you must but if you say you are you will not get the job. They had an episode with dancer who turned out to be a sasaeng and well, they stopped hiring fans.”

 

I did not feel good for lying but as the interview went on, I was realizing that I really wanted this job and a small white lie wouldn't hurt anyone, right?

 

I pulled the straightest face I could and replied, “No. I prefer the rookie bands like Astro and KNK.”

 

I saw a couple of smiles from the other interviewers. “Well, thank you for being straightforward. You don't like any SM artists yet you are applying into SM.”

 

Shrugging my shoulders and pretending that I did not just tell the biggest lie I ever told in my life, I grinned. “Though I have to be honest, Choi Siwon is too good-looking to be real. My purpose in applying is to see if that person really exists or is a cyborg you all created.”

 

All five men burst out laughing and I found myself relax even more, that small nagging feeling for the white lie being pushed in a small corner of my brain.

 

“Alright, this interview has gone well and I can speak for the rest of the managers. When can you start? You do have to give notice to the Canadian School right?”

 

I felt my jaw drop and I immediately brought my hand up to cover my mouth.

 

“You're offering me the job right now?”

 

“We don't see the need to look for anyone else. You are a preschool teacher with experience. Trust us, the boys are a handful, there may be just 6 of them now but they can be as playful as your 5 year olds. So you being a preschool teacher should be a good training ground for those overaged preschoolers.”

 

My heart leapt and I knew the excitement was showing on my face.

 

“We plan to start the lessons by March, before Sungmin starts his Musical. The lessons will be planned solely by you and you will get to decide how often you will teach them. They are not as busy now since they have minimal activities but the class will get bigger when Eunhyuk, Donghae and Siwon returns and work towards the comeback. That's all the details we can release for now until we can get your word that you will take on the job.”

 

It was a no-brainer. It was the opportunity that I could only dream about.

 

“I agree to take on the job as Super Junior’s English teacher.”

 

The next hour passed as the details were explained, contract and confidentiality forms were signed and after several more handshakes and bowing, I was out of the room and headed towards the lift. My hands were still cold from the excitement and I quickly fished my phone out of my bag. Two missed calls and four messages from Hyein. I dialled her number and she picked up in two rings.

 

“You’d better tell me you got the job. I waited two hours. What kind of bloody interview-?”

 

“I got the job.”

 

I could feel Hyein’s stunned silence through the phone and she began squealing in excitement.

 

I brought the phone away from my ear and entered the lift, my smile not leaving my face.

 

“I’ll meet you on the first floor!” She immediately hung up and I let go of the breath I was holding and entered the lift.

 

The door barely opened on the first floor and I could already hear my best friend’s excited chattering from across the hallway. I saw her with Jieun and they both turned to look at me.

 

“Congratulations!” Both girls shrieked as Hyein came running towards me.

 

“I knew you could do it!” Hyein whispered and her eyes shone brightly, as if she was going to cry anytime.

 

Jieun came forward too and gave me a hug and even though it was our first time meeting, I instantly knew we would be good friends too.

 

“I have some time for a drink. Let’s go celebrate!”

 

Hyein dragged me across the lobby and waved to Jieun.

 

“Don't forget my order Hyein ah !”

 

We briskly put on our jackets and after a quick stop at the guard house for my ID, Hyein and I scurried to the cafe down the block.

 

You have to tell me everything!”

 

Unable to speak again, but for different reasons, I nodded.

 

“Before that, which groups did you tell them you were a fan of?”