Four

Language & Lyrics

Later that evening

 

After a dinner of delivered ChiMaek, Jieun and Hyein decided to watch some TV while I took out the assignments I had to check. Surprisingly, both girls did not ask much about my day and focused on stuffing themselves with chicken and beer. Satiating their hunger seemed to be more important than their curiosity.

 

I sat on the floor next to the sofa with my work folder next to me. During a commercial break, Jieun plopped herself next to me and glanced at the already marked worksheets.

 

“This is the reason why I can never be a teacher. Work hours should end at 6 o’clock and one should not be bringing it home!”

 

“Hey, don’t mess them up.” I swatted Jieun’s hand lightly, which resulted in her pouting at me. “I have written my comments on separate papers and that stack over there is for tomorrow’s lessons.”

 

Jieun continued observing me work and I knew she was up to something. I was not going to be baited and continued with my writings. After five minutes of undisturbed silence, Hyein was the one who gave in.

 

“Leeteuk Oppa told us something earlier.”

 

I knew my friend was trying to dangle the carrot in front of me but I had to make her work for answers.

 

From the corner of my eye, I saw Hyein’s attempt of nodding subtly at Jieun.

 

“That one of the members seems to have already taken a fancy to you.”

 

I knew Lee Minho and Jun Jihyun already lost the attention of both my friends so I looked up from my work.

 

“It’s probably some kind of joke. I don’t know, let’s scare the new girl and let’s see if she quits?”

 

I gave the situation some thought when I was on the commute home earlier. Being full, the girls and I were separated into different sections of the bus and made conversation impossible. No matter which angle I looked at it, the notion of falling in love at first sight, or being attracted to someone based on their looks just did not line up for me. I knew how I looked and I am no idol. Celebrities don’t just fall in ‘like’ with someone they just met when they have thousands of beautiful people to choose from. So by the time the delivery for dinner came, I made up my mind. This was some sort of game the group plays on new employees. I guess I could always play with them if that’s what they want.

 

“Woah. You’re incredible.” Jieun began clapping her hands, her face staring back at me in awe.

 

Perplexed, I turned to Hyein who looked a little too happy for my liking.

 

“Well, you aren’t too far off. This is Super Junior’s way of welcoming new staff working with them. Think of it as an initiation of some sort.”

 

I raised an eyebrow at my friend, waiting for a further explanation.

 

“Well you see, this group of boys you love so much are actually still teens at heart and just love to play tricks on everyone. Everyone, including people they just met.” Hyein abandoned her spot on the couch and sat on the floor with Jieun and I. “Do you remember that time when I was new and I kept canceling plans and you said I was working too hard?”

 

A distant memory came to mind. It was when Hyein just started with SM Entertainment and she looked lethargic and disturbed. She brushed it off as newbie blues and I did not want to pry so I left it at that.

 

“Siwon Oppa confessed that he needed a confidant and that he was torn on whether to stay or leave the group. Hyukjae Oppa then came to me and began pestering me if I knew anything and I kinda let it slip that Siwon Oppa wanted to leave. The conversations with them went on for weeks and I was troubled too. I couldn’t tell anyone. The boys then staged a hidden camera trick and nearly came to blows. Turns out there was a camera focused on me to take in my reactions which was to be played at the subject’s farewell party should they leave. I’ve not seen the video yet and hopefully I don’t have to.” Hyein finished her recount with a laugh and focused her attention back to the TV screen before looking at me.

 

So that was it. An initiation. Somehow, it didn’t feel good to be right. Was there really a part of me that hoped that a member of Super Junior actually fell in love with me?

 

God, I sounded repulsive. I wanted to feel relieved. I had to feel relieved. This means my job won’t be on the line. But something was still bugging me.

 

“How did Heechul Oppa know of my feelings for Sungmin Oppa? You told him, didn’t you?”

Hyein’s eyes grew to the size of a ₩500 coin and she shook her hands frantically. She can’t be that good of an actress. I turned to Jieun and she raised her hands, as though surrendering.

 

“I don’t even talk much to Heechul Oppa, he’s weird.”

 

So if nobody told him…

 

“He probably could tell from the way you were acting around Sungmin Oppa. We told you to stop treating him differently.” Jieun teased.

 

My mind then went on to replay the class today. I may have had avoided making eye contact with him. But was it that obvious that the quirkiest member of the group just had to take note of it already?

 

Shaking my head in annoyance, I gathered my papers and stood up. “This job is becoming more of a hassle than it’s supposed to be. My preschoolers were a handful but I wasn’t made the subject of a sick joke like this.”

 

Instead of providing comfort, the two girls stood up and pulled me to the sit on the sofa with them on both of my sides.

 

“Oh have a sense of humour, it’s all fun and games. They would probably do the hidden camera trick in the next week or so but you figured it all out on your own within one day. Aren’t you clever?”

 

I squinted my eyes at Jieun. “You’re enjoying this way too much. What was your hidden camera trick?”

 

“Unfortunately, I didn’t have a prank played on me. Super Junior only provides the service to staff working directly with them. I didn’t get the honour.” She then placed her head on my shoulder, in a probable attempt to placate me.

 

“And while we’re still on the topic, did you not feel anything at all today?” Hyein looked at me with a sly inquisitivity and I felt Jieun perk up.

 

“Feel what?”

 

“Oh I don’t know,” I was not liking the sing-song voice she was using, “Perhaps you were considering to change your bias to Kyuhyun Oppa instead?”

 

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed the throw cushion that I was sitting on and threw it at Hyein. “I’m going to shower.” I announced and walked towards my room, leaving the cackling girls on the couch.

 

“Well, I’ve always told you that Kyuhyun Oppa seems to be more of your type than the Aegyo King.”


I will never tell either of them but the thought did cross my mind once or twice throughout the evening. Oh forget once or twice, it was pretty much all I thought about the whole evening.