Chapter 2

I Will Do Anything For You

“Unnie? Are you okay? What was that sound? Unnie? Chorong-unnie?!” Bomi asked to the phone as she was waiting scared to hear Chorong’s voice, but there was no response from her, however, strange noises were heard, until she could hear a little of Chorong’s voice but she had said something in understandable, without thinking twice, she turned her way and started walking toward Chorong’s home while she was trying to hear more clearly at the phone.

“Give me that damn bracelet!” Bomi could overhear through the phone, it was a man’s voice, deep and raspy, as the same time she could hear Chorong voice giving a negative response, that was enough for Bomi to felt as if she was risen to a roller coaster and was just in the time of the highest drop of the same time, she could feel a shiver ran down her body at the same time she felt a great anger at what she heard, Chorong was being assaulted by a man and sounded dangerous.

Feeling that her legs didn’t respond as they should, thanks to the fear she felt knowing that Chorong was in that situation, Bomi began to try to run as fast as possible, but a loud sound stopped her, a loud sound that she could recognize, it wasn’t like the thunders of the storm that was approaching the city, it was one that she had heard many times in these action movies… it was the sound of a weapon, a gun.

The cries began to resonate from one second to another, panic screams and people running in her direction, but she couldn’t run away, the feeling of her stomach become more evident, she felt like vomiting for the simple fact of thinking the worst but she couldn’t help it, not after she knew what was happening, swallowing the fear she began to run again, to the contrary direction of what several people was running, and in the distance, she could saw a group of people bonded to the entrance of a small alley, her heart beating a mile for minute, ignoring any sound of the people and even ignoring the raindrops that was starting to fall over her, she approached with a slower pace, pushing one or two persons to get close, she slowly peek up to the alley…

She could only see part of the body, as she had a dumpster which covered half of it, but a large pool of blood began to mix with rainwater, the clothes that she knew very well, covered with moist soil and rainwater, as the same time it was colored with the blood that it made look that white blouse as if it was originally red, and in her hand, which was laying on the ground, her fist still contained the bracelet…

That cursed bracelet by which all this had happened, the cursed bracelet that she had given her, the cursed bracelet by which she witnessed now this terrible scene, she didn’t realize that was beginning to move toward the lifeless body of her girlfriend, of that young woman that she felt a tremendous love and she had seen a few minutes ago, which had just listened only a few moments ago.

It was unreal, it was a dream, a nightmare, tears trickled one by one on her cheeks, every step was like a stab on her chest, breathing which was a natural function now seemed like a difficult task to realize, until she was close enough to see her face, her eyes closed like it was asleep, but a large red stain on her chest, looking down she saw her hand still holding the bracelet in her fist, as it would protect it of everything… which was what happened… she protected it, even with her own life.

She couldn’t say a word, not even when the police arrived, nor when they pulled her back so she would stay away from the scene, she could only speak to answer a few questions later, she didn’t think this was real, even when she saw Chorong’s parents cry, or her parents who were there with her to show they was there at her side on this sad times.

The trip she planned was postponed, when you fall in love, it’s supposed to be forever, the idea is pass the lifetime together, but this wasn’t a story who is told to a child before bed, this was the reality, her reality, and if the love of her life was no longer at her side, nothing mattered anymore.

The funeral step as if she was seeing it in third person, the tears stopped for a while, but seeing how the soil was falling on the coffin was enough to the tears to come back, it was the last goodbye, she wouldn’t see her again, hear her again, all those moments they spent would be just memories, there was no future, no plans, they had disappeared.

The rain fell hard again that day, all the present ran to cover from the water, but Bomi didn’t, she couldn’t separate from that place yet, and it’s as if her legs had taken roots and decided to simply stay planted there.

It took her a couple of hours to decide to finally move from there, finding again Chorong’s parents, who treated her like a daughter, they embraced her, she had lost the love of her life, but they had lost their all, their only daughter, words were not necessary, everyone felt the same pain, the same emptiness, the loss of the person who was the most important in their lives.

But Chorong’s mother pulled out a small black bag

“It’s better if you keep it” She said as she tried to make her words understandable after how much she was sobbing

Bomi took the small black bag and nodded, it isn’t necessary say more, Bomi parted ways and went to her home, a small apartment she had been renting since she decided to leave her parents’ house when she graduated from college, which planned to share with Chorong sometime or maybe, leave it behind to find a new home with her.

But that doesn’t matter anymore, she wasn’t in this world anymore… on her way to her apartment, lost in her thoughts and memories, she passed a news stand, turning her gaze, it was as if the world conspired to make her suffer in every possible way, in the headlines you could see the name of Chorong’s, and the events that had happened the day before, June 21 was the day set as the date of the fateful incident in each of them, such as a moment of self-torture, she bought one and ripped the part of the newspaper that spoke of the incident, keeping it in one of her jacket pockets.

Finally on her apartment, after such a long and winding road, she lit a small lamp she had in her bedroom, what she less wanted is have all the lights on, the main light of her life was gone, and if she saw her apartment lit it would be difficult not remember the moments she spend with Chorong watching movies in the living room or preparing dinner in the kitchen.

Before placing her wet jacket aside, she felt something in her pocket, she saw the note of the newspaper, but also the small black bag that Chorong’s mother had given her, upon opening the bag she saw something that she didn’t want to see.

It was the bracelet with the “C” and “B” intertwined, the reason for all this madness, she watched it with anger, but she knew that in the end she couldn’t blame only the bracelet, there were more factors, and the bracelet wasn’t the one who shot the gun, she couldn’t do more than cry again, tears hardly went out, there were no one anymore, her head ached for all the time she had cried, but she couldn’t think of doing anything else, there was anything she could do anyway.

About to fall asleep, and the bracelet tightened heavily on her hand over her chest, there was only one thing in which she could think of

“I wish I had another chance, a chance to turn back time and maybe, on this time, be able to do something to save you…”