The Rooftop Where I First Met You

Room 17

Minghao moved to Korea when he was 12. To say it was hard would be an understatement. It was hell. He often wondered why the hell hasn't he left yet but then he sees a mirror and remember his reason.

Dancing was his passion. He loves dancing to the point he almost passed out while practicing because he just wanted to perfect his dance. It had worried his parents but Minghao was grateful they still supported what he loves to do. Dancing was his life.

That's why he's in Seoul. When his old dance teacher said he recommended Minghao to one of Korea's best dance school, Minghao HAD to go. It broke his heart to leave his parents but he knew if he let this chance go, there won't be any second chances.

Living alone since he was 12, Minghao had to grow up fast. His Korean was a bit bad but no one dare to tease his right at his face since the first (and last) guy who did it, they ended up with a broken arm and a black eye. Minghao learned martial arts as a kid, beating the bully was easy.

Minghao got the name "Lone Tiger" since none of his classmates wanted to talk to him since the bully incident and everyone in their school avoided him, afraid Minghao might attack them out of spite. Minghao was pretty lonely and no matter how much he tried to fight of the feeling, loneliness still made him shed a tear or two.

When a kid named Soonyoung got accepted a year after, Minghao's life started to get better. Soonyoung was a friendly guy and he didn't mind all the rumors surrounding Minghao. The two ended up being friends despite the age difference and Minghao was grateful. Soonyoung (although he likes to be called Hoshi) was a pretty good dancer and the two of them became a duo.

The whole year passed by but Minghao didn't even notice, he was busy creating dances with Hoshi. After winning a dance competition, they met Lee Chan.

Chan was an elementary student from a local elementary school but with the way he dances, Hoshi knew his talents were wasted there. After convincing their headmaster, the two were able to get Chan in and the three of them became a group.

Ever since Jam Jam was created, Minghao started to feel less and less homesick. There are days where the feeling is there but most of the time, Minghao feels at home.

One of the reasons why he feels homesick is when the bullying gets worse. After a year and a half, his fellow classmates started to get braver. When Minghao's alone, they would talk loudly near him and made him feel inferior. It doesn't really work but sometimes it does.

One time a jab wasn't directed at Minghao, but at Hoshi and Chan.

"Man, I can't believe Myungho actually have friends."

"Yeah, he probably bribed them. Its the only explanaition!" They laughed.

"I know right? What a bunch of gold diggers, I don't even know who to feel sorry to. Myungho or the gold di-"

Minghao kick the one who said that on the back. No matter how much the guy or his friend pleaded, Minghao didnt stop. For the second time sonce coming to Korea, Minghao sent another kid to the hospital.

"Geez, Myungho! Why did you do that! What triggered you, man?" Hoshi was pacing around. He was pretty riled up, from what Minghao could see. Chan was just giving Minghao a sad look, as if he was disappointed in him.

"Its ok, hyung. They deserved it," Minghao softly defended himself.

"I know they do since you won't normally hurt people but it still won't help you with the headmaster! He might kick you out, Myungho!" Minghao didn't think about that. After a while of pondering, Minghao sighed.

"Then I'll just leave, hyung."

Silence.

"No," it was Chan. The two hyungs looked at their maknae who looked very distraught.

"Myungho hyung, don't leave please!" Not the first time Minghao wondered what he did to deserve his friends but definitely the first time he felt tears in his eyes.

The headmaster gave Minghao his punishment (he had to clean the boys bathroom for a month) and instructed him to visit the bully. At first, Minghao thought of declining but realize that he's not really in the position to.

After much persuasion from Chan and Hoshi, Minghao went to the hospital. The white walls and floor of the hospital made him calm and he thought of a way to apologize to the bully (not that he wants to, he was forced to).

Being 13 in a hospital surrounded by wounded and sick people made Minghao very uncomfortable. He was still very young and yet he saw a man bleeding from his chest being dragged into the ER. It sent chills to his spine.

He asked for the bully's room number and made his way towards the room. When he entered. There was a tense air in the room. Minghao was proud of himself after he was done apologizing. He would have stayed to see the bully's shocked expression but he ran away.

Laughing at himself, Minghao decided that coming to Korea was a good idea despite the his current problem. He hummed while walking out when he caught a quick shadow going up the stairs that lead towards the rooftop.

After losing against his curiosity, Minghao followed the shadow. When he finally reached the top, he was a bit disappointed to see the door locked. He was about to leave when he saw the shadow. Well, the owner of the shadow.

A kid that looks like he's the same age as Minghao was dancing and running outside in cold winter with nothing but his hospital gown. Afraid that the kid might catch a cold or worse hypothermia, Minghao pulled out a pin from his pocket and picked the lock.

When it opened, Minghao grabbed the door. The moment he opened it, cold air blasted at him. He was shiver despite gis thick jacket and yet when he looked at the kid dancing, the kid looks fine which is WEIRD.

"Ya! You wanna die? What are you doing there!?" 

The kid stopped dancing and turned. Minghao almost choked. The kid was beautiful. Sure, the proper way to compliment a guy is to say he's handsome but the kid infront of him isn't. He was beautiful.

"Oh, hello!" The strange kid said after walking towards him. Minghao was brought out of his daydream and replied.

"No time for formalities, get in!" Minghao pulled the kid in and was very surpised when he felt the other's skin ice cold.

"Ya, aren't you cold? What were you doing there?" The kid smiled.

"I was dancing!" Minghao facepalmed. Of course.

"I meant, why were you out during winter with nothing but that," he was gesturing the kid's clothing.

"Ahhhh. I was bored, you see," the kid looked down and Minghao felt a bit bad. The kid acted weird but Minghao feels sadness just oozing from him when he said he was bored. 

"Want me to keep you company while you go back to your room?" The kid smiled at him and Minghao smiled back.

The two started talking and Minghao found himself laughing and relaxing around the strange kid. Their little world disappeared the moment the kid stopped talking and pointed at a door.

"That's my room," he said and Minghao was pleasantly surprised to see the bully's room to be right next the kid's room. 

"Hey, looks like I can visit you tomorrow!" With a good enough reason, Minghao thought. He was expecting the kid to grin but he only smiled.

"That's great, I'll wait for you ok?" Minghao nodded and left when the kid went inside his room. He made a new friend today, amazing.

Before he went inside the elevator, someone grabbed Minghao's sleeves. When he looked, he saw the kid panting.

When he finally caught his breath, he placed something in Minghao's palm.

"This... Is just to make sure... We'll meet again," the kid finally grinned. Before Minghao can reply, he was gone.

Making an excuse was harder than he thought. Hoshi keeps on asking him questions and Chan was guiltripping him. Minghao would've gave up but then the ring that was currently hanging under his shirt keeps reminding him that he needs to go back to the hospital.

"Guys, its gonna be quick. I'll be back before you know it," Hoshi said 'bull' but Minghao was able to go.

After finding the bully's room, Minghao inmediately walked right over it towards the next room. He was about to go in when he noticed that the room was unoccupied. No one was in room 610 and Minghao was confused.

He decided maybe he was wrong and checked the room on the other side of his bully's room and found out that that room was occupied but by an another kid. After staring at the strangely unoccupied room for minutes, Minghao asked the receptionist.

"Oh room 610? I'm sorry, the patient there moved out earlier this morning," the nurse replied. What?

"Can you tell me who was the person who stayed there?" 

"Yes, it was--" the nurse was cut off by a loud ring and she picked up the telephone in front of her. After a while, the nurse had to leave before answering Minghao.

"Who are you?" He asked the ring. The ring was pretty normal. The only thing different about was the symbol on it.

"Who would print the number 17 on a ring?" Minghao asked again and decided that for now, his mystery friend will stay a mystery friend. After all, Seoul wasn't that big. They'll meet again someday.