DREAM

High & Low Higher Grounds 「Amamiya Kyodai」

The rhythmic pounding punctures the stillness of the morning air, as two motor engine whined at a high pitch. Masaki driving in the first line and Hiroto following behind him. Having Hikari leaning against him, made him drive slower. A half smile was formed on Masaki's face. He was a bit excited that they would have a girl around at home. Even if she was a could anger route girl. A girl that both didn't know. Few more minutes, and finally they had reached their small goth loft.

Masaki rushed upstairs first. To clean any clothes that may were forgotten around and to open Takeru's bedroom. Since Takeru wasn't around, they could lent his bed to the injured girl. And honestly it was the only room that was clean, and not at total mess.

Hiroto arrived last. He already knew what Masaki was up. At least he hopped he would clean the messy clothes and plates. He gazed down at Hikari, who didn't look any better. He leaned her against his shoulder and stood up. He lifted her up, letting her rest against him. He was also tired, and wounded. But he slowly reached their apartment. The door was left open by Masaki. Hiroto closed it with his right kick as he entered. He walked with Hikari inside Takeru's room. It was a while he had been in his elder's brother room. He lay Hikari against the bed.

Masaki walked inside, holding a first aid kid. (They always kept one around, since they were often involved in fights.) Hiroto slowly took her jacket off. He raised half away her shirt, revealing her flat belly. He slowly turned her aside so they could treat her wound.

"Aniki, it looks bad!" Hiroto noted as he had a closer look "Maybe we should get a doctor."

Masaki lean closer. He cleaned the cut and found out how deep it was. He numbed it with anesthetic. "I think she will be fine." He throw at him the thread for stitches "Here!" He could never stitch up a girl.

Hiroto cracked his neck, he was really angry. But he grabbed the medical needle and the thread. He slowly started stitching Hikari's cut. He would pause for time to time to check on her. But she was still senseless laying down. "Aniki, do we have a tetanus booster and some antibiotics?" he asked.

Masaki searched inside the aid Kid and nodded "Yeah we do. And they haven't expired." he replied. He gave Hikari the tetanus booster, and gave her some antibiotics.

After several stitches, Hiroto was done. Only the stitches weren't following a straight line. He bandaged and dressed her wound. "It's done!" he said as he could inhale again.

"If she wakes up and see how well you stitched her cut." Masaki laugh "She will be pissed."

Hiroto glared at him "You were the one making me do that."

"Anyway get a clean shirt. The cut needs to keep clean. Mine are all dirty." Masaki suggested packed the first aid kid and put it away.

Hiroto agreed, he walked over his room and grabbed a black shirt. He walked back inside and placed it next to Hikari.

"Let's strip her." Masaki added with an odd smile on his face.

"Huh, ." he yelled at his brother. "I will make sure, she changes her shirt. You sound too ert." He pushed Masaki out of Takeru's room and closed the door.

Masaki felt the door closing against his face "Hey, I was only kidding. Anyway I will take a shower." he whined. Honestly, he wouldn't mind to get Hikari changed. But his brother ruined the fun. He also got some clean clothes from Hiroto's room and went to have a shower.

Back at Takeru's room, Hiroto remain gazing at Hikari. Now, he felt even stranger to get her changed. He lean closer, and lifted Hikari's half body up taking off her shirt. Thankfully, she was wearing an athletic bra beneath. He slowly wore her his shirt and softly lean her back against the mattress. He picked a blanket and covered her up.

He walked outside and sat on the sofa watching TV, waiting for Masaki to finish his shower. But when Masaki was done, Hiroto was already asleep.


It was past noon when Hikari came back to her senses. She opened her eyes gazing at the room. She blinked confused as she was in unfamiliar place. She looked under the blanket finding her cut treated and her shirt changed. She slowly got up. She was still a bit dizzy, and her wound was hurting (but she could handle the pain.) She reached at her jacket and pulled her phone out. She should be at work. But there was no way she could go at work like that. She informed Suzuki that she had an accident and would need few days off.

Then she opened the door and walked in the living room. The TV was on and Masaki was resting against the sofa. At least now she knew were she was. Masaki had already ended his shower and fall asleep. She didn't spotted Hiroto anywhere. After gazing around their home, she figured which one was the bathroom. She simply walked over and opened the door. Since it wasn't locked she walked inside and closed the door behind her.

As she turned around she come face to face with Hiroto. She blinked few times confused. She wasn't sure if she was seeing right, but there was standing a total Hiroto. Hiroto flipped. He pressed his palms against her eyes blocking her view and pushed her back. He unlock the door and forced her out of the bath room. He closed the door and locked it mumbling pissed inside the bathroom.

Hikari blushed and turned around. She rubbed her eyes trying to forget what she had just seen. She walked back at the living room and sat down. Masaki woke up with all the noise and his brothers eerie voice.

"You are up. How are you feeling?" Masaki asked her as he slowly sat up.

Hikari gazed at him, although she was still dazzled by Hiroto's view. "I am better. Thank you for the help." she said sincerely.

"We were just worried. Are you hungry. We have only instant ramen. But its tasty." Masaki offered her some food. He stood up and walked to the small kitchen to boil some water.

Hikari nodded "I don't mind instant food. I would love some."

She never ended her line, as the bathroom door opened and Hiroto got out. He was dressed now. Wearing a black treasure pants and a white t-shirt. He glared at Hikari as he walked and sat next to her.

She blinked and blushed, sitting far away from Hiroto. She seemed as he was ready to attack her. "I'm sorry.. I didn't notice that there was someone inside.." she mumbled.

"Shush!" Hiroto voiced and leaned closer whispering "If you say anything to Masaki, you are good as dead."

It was only then, that Hikari noticed that he looked more worried of Masaki finding out. She was sure Masaki did mess a lot with his younger brother. Her older brother used to do that too. She giggled "I will not tell Masaki." she ensured him.

"What will you not tell Masaki?" he suddenly asked as he overheard Hikari. He placed three cups of instant Ramen on the coffee table and three pair of chopsticks and sat down. "I am waiting for an answer?"

Hiroto rolled his eyes. He knew it was time to get teased again by Masaki. He glared at Hikari once more. Then he grabbed the cup of noodles and started eating.

Hikari blushed more "I cannot tell you that. Ask your brother." she said and picked also up the instant noodles and started eating.

"You don't listen at your older brother. And now you keep secrets." he complained at Hiroto. "Anyway will you at least share your name with us." Masaki asked once again.

Hikari smiled and nodded. Until then she was avoiding to let strangers know her name. But she owed the Amamiya brothers since they helped her today. "I can do that. I am Hikari." she simply said and went on eating her noodles.

Hiroto glanced at her. She appeared a bit different than before. Maybe because she was injured. Or maybe they helped her. "The name doesn't fit you!" he buzzed.

"What are you saying Hiroto. Don't listen at him. And are you single?" Masaki went on with his flirting mood.

But Hikari simply ignored him and eat her noodles. She wasn't interested in any love games. What mattered was to find her brothers killer.


It was already evening, as all three were sitting and watching T.V. Masaki tried his best to flirt with Hikari, but she ignored him. Hiroto wasn't in the mood to talk to her. Hikari was trying to forget what she had seen. She needed a place to crush. She couldn't show up injured around her home. Her parents would freak out. Even if she lived alone. She needed to stand on her feet, when she got back.

She gazed both at them not sure how to ask them. She already felt oddly and bit ashamed. "Neh, can I ask for a favor?" she murmured.

"Sure, what is it?" Masaki said with a big smile on his face. Hiroto just glanced at her, finding the smooth girly voice of hers fluky.

But he wasn't the only one. It was years that Hikari hadn't sound like this. She found herself to carefree. She wasn't sure what made her act like a fan girl. The detective cleared and thickened her tone. "Could I spend the night here? I cannot show up around my parts like these." she requested politely.

Masaki's eyes opened widely, as he was more than happy to have her around "Sure you can stay. The room is empty after all. You can spend the night here." he ensured her.

"Aren't you worried to spent the night with us?" Hiroto tried to mess with her. He still had not forgiven her for peeking on him . Even if it wasn't her fault.

And thinking about it, she wasn't worried at all. She knew how dangerous they could be. Though, her gut told her, she could trust them. "I am not actually bothered. I can spend the night with out any thoughts." she explained.

"He is teasing you. Just stay as much as you want." Masaki said smiling at her. After all neither of them was that kind of people. Even if Masaki fooled around, he was one person you could trust fully.

Hiroto ignored them as he went and got some beer. Though he brought two more with him, one for Masaki and one for 'the sakura helmet girl'. He placed the can against the coffee table and sat down. He sipped his beer, before asking her "Nah, the sakura drawing on your helmet. What does it mean?"

Hikari leaned against the sofa. She was a bit puzzled since when he had noticed the sakura leaves. They were to tinny to noticed. "Ah those. It doesn't really mean anything. Around high school I used to be part of a female gang called " Sakura's." she responded. Of course she never revealed she was actually their leader.

"The Pink Sakura's?" Hiroto asked. He knew about them. There was a time they were really big trouble. And even he and Masaki had heard about them.

Hikari nodded "Yes, those ones. I always thought we were a small gang that no one knew"

Hiroto chuckled and gazed at her "Small. The sakura i have heard about, was causing a lots of troubles and fights. Their name is well known."

Hikari trying to change the topic "Maybe yes. I don't know. I better get some rest." she said and stood up. She finished her beer and threw away the can. But before entering Takeru's room she pause. "About today. Thank you. Really!" she said and walked inside, closing the door behind her.

Masaki spaced out. They didn't have relaxed and cheer-free moments like those, since their parents died. He, as well as Takeru cared about Hiroto. And seeing him spend some normal time. Made him happy. He grabbed few bandages and some antibiotic and threw them at Hiroto. "Go make sure her wound is clean. And let her have few more of those." he told him.

Hiroto picked them up and stood up. "Wait, why should i go. You go?" he said. He wasn't sure how to approach Hikari alone. It just made his skin rebel.

"Just go. I am going to get some sleep." he said and went to his room.

Hiroto forgetting even not knock, he opened the door forcefully. Only to find Hikari lay down and half asleep. He showed her the bandages and meds. "Make sure to change your cut and take the antibiotics." he said in a softer tone. Then he simply put them on the small table that was next to her.

Hikari startled grabbed Hiroto's wrist pulling him back "Neh, can you help me with the bandages?"

Hiroto looked at her surprised. "Why? Can you not reach your side. I think your hands are perfectly functional." he voiced and pulled his arm away.

She sat up, staring at him. "No, I can change them. But I just don't want to. I have an issue with touching anything dirty or bloody." she explained.

Hiroto rose his eyebrow "You are disgust by your own blood? or do you really want to show me some of your skin?" he brutally asked her.

"Ew! No, i don't want to show you my skin. I just needed some help. Just forget it!" she sighed as she now sounded more ert than before.

Hiroto stepped back "Turn around and lift your shirt. I will help you." he informed her. He could just ignore her. But when it come to serious matter, how could he.

"Okay!" she agreed and slowly turned around. She lifted the shirt just enough to expose the wounded area.

Hiroto first used some antiseptic and cleaned his hands. Then he removed her older bandages. He slowly lifted a bit more her shirt. "Hold it there. I don't want it to get your cut infected." he demanded.

Hikari hold it a bit lower as she was looking at the stitches. Her face took an odd facial expression as she didn't like to touch or see blood.

"I told you, hold you shirt a bit higher i need to clean it." he uttered "I don't want to look your side parts." He slowly cleaned her cut. It looked a bit better. At least not like it look that morning.

"I cannot be sure. Maybe you want to see more than you should." she said as she was still gazing at her cut.

Hiroto chuckled "There is not much to see anyway."

Hikari's eyes opened widely and she glared at him "What do you mean?" she yelled at him.

Hiroto pause dressing her wound and pinned his deadly eyes on her. "I bandaged your injury this morning. And changed your shirt. So I think I have seen enough." he told her with a satisfied look on his face.

"Eh?" she blinked confused. Indeed he had a point there. "I am not wearing my shirt." she just noticed. She lowered her head and sniffed the t-shirt. "That's not mine." she added.

"Hey, don't sniffed it. You make it even odder." Hiroto said chilled.

"Why? How to check if its yours?" Hikari asked like a fan girl, getting all of his attention. Even she was confused at her response.

Hiroto sighed "Because the Shirt is mine. And you can just look it. Does it look even like your shirt? It's not even your size."

"Thats yours!" she said astonished with a soft smile on her face.

"Yes. I had only few clean shirts to share. Why?" he asked as he was finishing dressing her wound.

"Nothing! Its just..." she sniffed it again "The scent is fresh, a bit sweet, quit odorous, in good way.." Then only did she noticed that she sounded like at total ert. She blushed and turned her head facing away from Hiroto.

Hiroto almost chocked. He coughed. He went back treating her cut. Silence took over the room. Hiroto rubbed his eyes, trying to forget Hikari's bright face as she described the way he smelled. The though overtook him, and he pinned his fingers a bit deeper into her wound.

"Ouch!" Hikari sobbed as she felt her cut aching. She shifted her neck and faced Hiroto, but she didn't say anything. She was scared she would sound even odder.

"There it's done. Drink the antibiotics and get some sleep." he told her as he was gathering the older bandages to throw them away.

Hikari took the pills, with some water. "Did you stitch me up." she asked. She couldn't stand the silence. It only made her feel off.

Hiroto nodded "I did. Masaki thought you would freak out when you would look at the stitches."

"Heh, he thought so. Not, at all. I am just thankful you guys helped me." she said honestly. Though, she didn't take a better look at the messy work that Hiroto gave her.

"Now get some sleep. It was a long day." he suggested and stood up.

"Hiroto." she called and pause. Today she kept astonish more herself as ever. Now she was calling him casually. She wanted to hit hear head badly.

Though he pause, and gazed at her. "What, you need anything else?" he asked her.

"You sure i didn't get your room, or bed. I can rest in the living room?" she said with a sweet tone.

Hiroto cracked a smile "Don't worry. That belong to our older brother. You can stay here." he ensured her.

"The one you were looking?" she wanted to know.

Hiroto nodded "Yeah. Almost a year we lastly saw him."

"It surely was a hard year then. I hope you guys find him. Good night!" she said and lay back down.

"We hope that too. Rest well!" Hiroto said and turned the lights off. He closed the door behind. And went into the living room.


It was passed midnight, and Hiroto was still sitting in the living room. He always couldn't sleep around the days of their parents death. Neither could Masaki. But he didn't want to make Hiroto worry more. So he pretended he was sleeping. Hikari was already in a deep sleep. After her brother died. She spend all her energy to find the people that were responsible for his death. Her sleep was less and less. And it was always light. But today it was different. Not only the way, she slept. But they way she reacted. Like her older self appeared.

Her dreams were also strange. She dreamed being with her family and brother. Like the old days they had fun. They argued and fight, and then they were fine again. He took care of her. She felt like home once again. Maybe the way she was taken care today reminded her of those times. Maybe the meds and her wound and an different impact on her.

Moments later the same night, awful yelps got Hiroto's attention. He was taken aback, looking at the T.V. But the sounds weren't coming from there. He searched around, only to spot that they were echoing from Takeru's room. He stood up. Rushed over, opening the door. He found Hikari in the edge of the bed. She was leading out muffed cries, as she was surely having an nightmare.

"Wake up!" he shouted at her. He grabbed her tight from her arms and rocked her. "Wake up!" he said again, trying to wake her up. Although, he had no idea what would cause her such pain. He knew very well, the best way to end the suffering, was to wake her up.

Hikari woke finally up. Her eyes were filled with tears. Her faced looked pale. And she was sweating. Still over powered by her dream, she mumbled "Aniki!" She didn't say anything else, only wrapped her arms around Hiroto and hugged him strongly. She lean her head against his chest and rested there.

Hiroto was surprised. He didn't know the shadows that were chasing her. But surely they left deep wounds on her as well. He sat on the bed next to her. Placing his arm around her and holding her even closer.

Soon, both of them had fallen asleep. The hug offered some healing powers to both of them.

Masaki, also showed up to see what had happened. He had heard the sounds. But he only found a Hiroto and a Hikari snuggling and sleeping. He turned the lights off and closed the door. He went back to his room trying to get some sleep.

The next morning when both of the Amamiya brothers woke up, found Hikari gone. He left them some hot coffee and a thankful note. She allowed herself to have a break. But one day was enough. Now she needed to get back to her work, and to find the people who killed her brother.

It wasn't any different from Hiroto and Masaki. They as well had to search for their brother. Now that they had the clues to follow.

((Next Chapter: 7th Act))