In A Trance

As Time Goes By...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Jeongyeon, you can start making the draft now. As soon as you are through, submit it then to me for review, okay?”

 

“Nayeon, can you make the manual for me, please? Mr. Nam is asking for it already.”

 

It was a hectic day for Yongsun as well. Yongsun’s the team leader in the graphics department for Nam Industries. Just as she was getting back to what she was doing, Mrs. Lee’s caller ID blared out from her phone. “Oh, Mrs. Lee hi… What? School’s out early today? Okay, thank you for informing me… Okay, bye.”

 

Yongsun wouldn’t be able to pick up Umji today just as what she promised Moonbyul. She has a farewell party tonight and she has a pile of workload on her table. She has no choice but to call Moonbyul and ask her to pick up Umji. “Honey, hey hi. Look, school’s out today but I can’t pick up Umji from school today. Would it be okay for you to do so instead?”

 

“It would be tough for me to do that.” Moonbyul on the other line was definitely not feeling good, especially with the thought of Yongsun having an affair still running in her mind right now. “What should we do?” Yongsun said as she let out a deep sigh on the other line “Fine, it’s okay. I’ll take care of it somehow.”

 

Just as Moonbyul was about to reply, Yongsun already dropped the call.

 

Yongsun scrolled through her contacts and looked for someone who could possibly tend to Umji and fetch her from school instead.

 

“Hi Mrs. Heo. This is Yongsun… Ah yes, you see do you mind if you could take care of Umji for me right now? Ah… Okay, I see. Thank you so much…”

 

 

Moonbyul entered the conference room with her cup of coffee in one hand. Everyone greeted her as she entered the room. She gestured for them to continue talking and sat in the middle of the long table.

 

YOUR WIFE IS HAVING AN AFFAIR

A Story of a Wife’s Scandalous Affair

 

YOUR… WIFE… IS… HAVING… AN… AFFAIR…

 

Six words, six words directly staring back at her was all it takes to make Moonbyul lost in her thoughts again. “Uhmm… Unnie? Byul-unnie, that’s the new program idea. I wrote it last night after out KaTalk convo.” Hyejin said, “Please do take a look.”

 

Moonbyul’s staff was stating their ideas and opinions about the new program but Moonbyul couldn’t pry her eyes off from the folder right in front of her. The messages, Seulgi’s words, and now this? Her thoughts seem to be blocking all the noise coming from the room and all that she could think of right now is about her wife’s extra-marital affair.

 

Hyejin’s slapping her hand on the table broke off Moonbyul’s trance. “Now, if we could only think of a good title for this one…” Hyejin was scanning the room for ideas. Everyone’s heads were down, nothing good seems to be coming out from their brains.

 

“Wives In Heat.” Hani, Moonbyul’s editor, suddenly blurted out of the blue quite aggressively. Everyone stared at her direction, her title suggestion was definitely a bit… “Ah, I’m sorry…” Hani ducked her head down. “Dangerous Wives, that. That’s better I suppose.”

 

Wheein nodded in agreement, “Yeah that definitely sounds good. We could take both the assailant and the victim’s sides for this program. Yes, that’s good.” Hyejin seemed a bit reluctant upon hearing Wheein’s idea. “But isn’t that too common already?” Wheein turned towards Moonbyul’s direction, waiting for her to say something. “We could find a real life case for the first case, use it as a case study, find our direction and we could go from there. How about that Moon-PD?”

 

Moonbyul flatly stared at the two of them, still mentally absent from the meeting. “Yah! Didn’t I tell you to find your focus and bring it here with you? What the ’s up with you, Moon Byulyi? Something happened?” Hyejin said as she was tapping Moonbyul’s armchair. To everyone’s surprise, Moonbyul slammed the folder that was in her hands to the table and sprung up from her seat. “Find a case. Good luck.” Moonbyul went out of the room like a walking dead.

 

Minutes later, she went back in the conference room. Hyejin and Wheein looked up at Moonbyul with a startled expression painted across their faces. Moonbyul, leaned into the middle, cups her chin and relayed her suggestion (which is actually about Yongsun’s message).

 

“What about this? I heard it just now. Don’t expect too much, it’s not that sensational or anything. He saw some text messages on his wife’s phone. ‘I made a reservation without asking you.’, ‘I’ll wait at the hotel. I missed you.’” Moonbyul was looking grim by the minute. Everyone still eager to listen in to her, all ears on her words. “But the one thing that he was curious about is… Did they sleep together already or not?”

 

“They have.” Hyejin non-chalantly answered.

 

“What?” Moonbyul raised her brows upon hearing Hyejin’s words.

 

“They did. Game over.” Hyejin reiterated.

 

“They didn’t.” Wheein retorted back. Moonbyul snapped her attention at Wheein this time.

 

“They did.” Hyejin retorted back. Moonbyul knows where this was heading, but still she was eager to hear their reasons.

 

“They didn’t.”

 

“They definitely did!” Hyejin snapped.

 

“They didn’t, dickhead!” Wheein’s voice rising up already.

 

“They did, 100%. Listen, the first time happens when they’re both drunk in the mood and BAM! They explode somewhere. I tell you, they already did.” Hyejin explained, “BUT! They stopped because they were guilty. But once wasn’t enough, they needed more of each other. That’s why the man keeps contacting the wife. They did sleep together. Confirmed, 100%. I rest my case.” Hyejin drops her pen on the table, wearing her triumphant gaze.

 

“They didn’t and let me tell you why.” It’s Wheein’s turn to reason out this time. Hyejin let out a frustrated sigh and hangs her head low. “There is a feeling of longing in the message. ‘I made a reservation without asking you.’ What this means is that he really like the woman and decided to go for her, but she said no.”

 

Moonbyul was nodding in agreement with what Wheein said. She was making sense. That’s what Yongsun probably has done. Yes, okay. I like the rationality, Moon Byulyi.

 

“But…” Wheein continued, “He noticed it. He knows she loves him but she’s only holding back because of her conscience. He’s trying to convince her that this was her last chance and she should not miss it. That’s why he texted her with the date and place to meet up with him. Wow, this guy’s a total player. He plans to ruin her. They haven’t slept together. I’m sure, 100%.”

 

“They did.” Hyejin’s still firm with her stance.

 

“Did not.” Wheein retorted back for the nth time today.

 

“THEY DID!” Hyejin leans into the table, agitated.

 

“THEY DIDN’T!” Wheein counters and leans in to the table as well. They are inches away from butting their heads, all because of this stupid idea that Moonbyul raised.

 

Moonbyul, on the other hand, dropped her gaze to the table and pinched the bridge of her nose. Her head was already aching from all these stupid thought’s about Yongsun and the messages and now these bickering two are adding up to it.

 

 

뭔가 느낌이 달라 She

가녀린 너의 발목 She

아련한 너의 표정

여자 사람 친구 편하기만 했던

네가 네가 그런 네가

 

The whole team went out for dinner since Chandong was feeling grateful to the whole team. Chandong took the whole mic time for the whole night. He was pretty ecstatic himself but otherwise for the whole team, including Moonbyul who still doesn’t know how to break the news to him.

 

The night was getting deeper and everyone was leaving to call it a day one by one, leaving Chandong and Moonbyul behind. Both of them were nearly drunk already, bottles surrounding the both of them in the table. It was then Moonbyul decided to speak up about the show getting cancelled.

 

“Chandong-ah…” Moonbyul let out an exhausted puff.

 

“Hmm... Byul-ah?”

 

“Our program… is done.” Another puff

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter