The Discovery

As Time Goes By...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7:45

 

Seven ing forty-five. Damn it! The blazing red numbers flashing on her alarm clock by the bedside table alone makes Moonbyul jolt out from the bed. No time for bathing, these clothes still looks fresh anyways, Moonbyul thought as she was dashing outside of her room, her hair still messy.

 

Yongsun, right outside, was cooking and at the same time busy feeding their daughter, Umji, as she sees Moonbyul rushing out to the door. “Byul, have breakfast first. I prepared your meal for you,” she called out Moonbyul who was busy tying up her shoelaces. “Yongs, sorry I gotta hurry up. I’m running late for work,” Byul reasoned out. She ran towards her and gave her a quick peck on her lips. “I’ll make it up to you today, okay? I’ll pick up Umji later. Bye.” And just like that, she bolted out of their house to get to work.

 

“Mom, are you sending me to school then?” Umji asked. Yongsun just nodded and smiled at the little girl.

 

 

“Alright Camera 1, on. Camera 2, standby… and cut. Camera 2 on, pan to the left…”

 

Another busy day it is once again for Byul. She was watching Hyejin lazily from the back as she was directing today’s show.

 

“Okay, that’s it. That’s a wrap. Good job, everyone” Hyejin says as she heads towards Byul who was still in a trance, chewing her dried squid that has been on for what seemed like an eternity. “Yah, cut it. Get your senses back Byul-unnie, the show’s done.” Hyejin said as she drags Byul up from her chair. Byul just lets Hyejin drag her outside of the room like a lifeless corpse.

 

Moonbyul and Hyejin have known each other since their collegiate days. Hyejin was a hoobae who caught Moonbyul’s eye. A genius in the making, as Moonbyul would say. Hyejin has been tagging along with Moonbyul to all her productions and sees the taller girl as a role model even though she could be pretty stupid and indecisive at times. They both dreamed to become movie directors and now they’re still around each other fulfilling their dreams.

 

“What’s up with you today? You don’t seem like you’re in your right state today,” Hyejin asked Moonbyul as she plops herself in her chair, placing her feet on the table. “ing 15 minutes late, Hyejin. 15 minutes, for Pete’s sake,” Byul lifelessly answered as she grabbed another dried squid to chew on.

 

“Seriously Byul? You’re sulking over that? What th—“ Hyejin was interrupted by Wheein who slammed her hand on her table. “Get your stinky foot off the table, Hyejin. Can you at least act mature for once?”

 

Byul scoffs at Wheein reprimanding Hyejin. Hyejin was the confident and daring type per se, but to see her scowling and stuttering under Wheein, well that’s a sight to behold.

 

Wheein was a rookie writer who was working for her friend when Moonbyul quit film. Moonbyul decided to have her on board when she saw Wheein’s potential in scriptwriting. Bold and even more daring that Hyejin, she’s the first person to whip up Hyejin’s and make her shut up in an instant with just her gaze. Note: quite a savage woman, don’t just cross her for fun.

 

“Moon-PD, Director Jung wants to talk to you. She said it’s about something urgent.” Wheein informed Byul and quickly left the office. “Yah! JUNG WHEEIN! Wait for me. Are you heading out to eat? Hey, at least eat out with me. DON’T LEAVE ME WOMAN!” Hyejin scurried to follow after Wheein, leaving Moonbyul distressed in her table, thinking about what Director Jung could want from her this time.

 

 

“Why are you so adamant on following me?” Wheein annoyingly said to Hyejin who was already eating her meal. “Because I just want to. Can’t I do that?” Hyejin innocently asks, showing her best puppy eyes to Wheein who just rolled her eyes on Hyejin. “You have a wife, stop flirting with me. I don’t want to be involved in some drama in the future.” Hyejin choked up upon hearing that. “Ye—ah… I do. I just want to be friends with you, that’s all. Can’t I do that?” Wheein simply ignored her and kept her attention on her phone.

 

Hyejin and Wheein doesn’t really get along well. The only times that they do actually get along would be during meetings regarding the storyline for their shows and talks during the casting and staffing (or maybe not since their opinions clash so much as well). Outside the conference room, they’re just like cats and dogs, clawing up each other 24/7.

 

“Hey can you at least tell me why haven’t you accepted my friend request on Facebook?” Hyejin ran up to chase the short girl who was farther ahead from her already.

 

“Do I even have to? I don’t see a reason for me to accept it. Besides, your wife wouldn’t like the thought of that.” Wheein answered back, still scrolling up through her long queue of unanswered emails.

 

“Would you stop mentioning my wife every time we are talking? Let me tell you this, she is very one understanding and loving woman. She doesn’t mind me talking to other women around me because she knows that in the entertainment industry, we are bound to talk with a lot of people.” Hyejin said as she was making gestures hoping that it would help convince and direct Wheein’s attention away from her phone. “So, can you at least accept it now so that I could have inner peace already, Jung Wheein-ssi?”

 

Wheein stopped walking and gave Hyejin a look that could translate to as “Seriously, off.” Hyejin instantly shut up and looked down to the ground. Wheein never fails to make her feel like a fool and she doesn’t even know why, but one thing is for sure, Wheein’s presence is enough to make her feel happy despite what she is facing right now.

 

Once Hyejin looked up, Wheein was already far away from her and heading towards the corner going to their office. “YAH! STOP LEAVING ME BEHIND, WOMAN!”

 

 

“ARE YOU SERIOUS? CANCELLING THE SHOW JUST LIKE THAT?” Moonbyul bellowed, her voice filling up the office. “This is so sudden. Are you out of your mind, Krystal? Why would you even do this? How would I even tell Chandong that his show’s being cancelled? ‘Hey Chandong! Your show’s getting cancelled. Go find a new job. Bye.’ Just like that? I wish it was that easy, but for Pete’s sake, NO IT ISN’T, KRYSTAL. IT’S NOT THAT EASY.” Moonbyul was getting even more frantic already, pacing back and forth around Director Jung’s office.

 

“Byul, would you at least sit down and listen to me?” Krystal was trying to appease an agitated Moonbyul in her office, “At least let me explain.” Moonbyul let out a long sigh before plopping herself down at the sofa. “Just go tell Chandong casually, you know over a meal…”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter