The Misunderstanding

The forbidden love

It was time to knock off again. Everyone packed up and was ready to leave. Today, Min Ho had instructed Onew that he will help him feed it so he can finally go home early. “Maybe he was guilty of making me stay till so late yesterday?” Onew thought to himself as he packed up. Suzy hopped forward,beside Onew. She said cheerfully,” Hey. Are you going early today? Want to go together?” “Ooohh… You two…” Tae Min teased. Onew quickly denied,” Hey you. Stop thinking what you are thinking. We aren’t…”

“Aish. Ignore him. So are we going together?” Suzy asked. Tae Min pouted when Suzy ignored him. “Erm… It’s okay. You can go with them. I suddenly remembered that I have something not done.” Onew lied. “Then I guess we can help it. Let’s go home together another time then. Bye bye.” Suzy said in a slightly sad tone and left. “Suzy~ Wait up for me!” Tae Min shouted and went after her after waving to the rest.

“Hah.These two kids.” Jong Hyun chuckled. Following, Jong Hyun and Key left together. “Bye. “ They said in sync before leaving. Onew nodded and waved back. “Okay, now. I guess I can finally leave. Phews.” Onew thought to himself. He took his bag and was about to leave. Suddenly, he heard a loud shriek. The same one he heard before. He is certain. ‘It’ is in trouble again. Onew dropped his bag and dashed into the ‘forbidden’ room.

The scene that was before him horrified him. Professor Lee was poking a digital caliper into ‘it’‘s face. “Hey. Stop. Please. That is only used on models. It is hurting. “Onew attempted to stop Professor. They ignored him. Onew felt helpless as he saw the equipment pierce through the flesh of it and it was shrieking in pain. It looked at Onew with pleading eyes. It is in pain.

“Please, Professor. Stop.” Onew repeated. He stepped forward and held onto Professor Lee’s hand. “Onew. Do you know what the heck you are doing right now? You are a god damn lab assistant, not some animal protection organization volunteer! Get this straight and let go of my hand. I am in the midst of my experimentation. Leave now and I will take it that nothing happened. Leave! Now.” Professor Lee flared up and shouted.

Onew let go of his hand and backed away. He looked at it and it was still looking at him with those pleading eyes. “What should I do?” Onew thought to himself. Professor Lee continued and when he got his results, he just pulled the digital caliper out casually. It cried out in pain. However, it was not the end of the experimentation. Professor Lee picked up a large and long machine. “Pry open the mouth.” Professor Lee ordered Min Ho.

“This couldn’t be. They are going to…” Onew thought to himself. Indeed, they were going to place it down its throat. Just when Professor Lee was about to shove it down ‘it’ ‘s throat, Onew rushed forward and held his hands. “Please. Just stop here. Before… before …I… call the animal protection organization. You do know that … they will suspend this research project if I call them? So…please just stop right away.” Onew begged.

“What the heck is this? What rights do you…” Professor Lee said but stopped when he saw Onew taking his phone out of his coat. “This kid is really serious huh?” Professor Lee thought to himself. “Forget it. We will end here for today. Seriously!” Professor Lee said in an annoyed manner and walked out of the room. “ Help to place it back into the enclosure and lock up the place.” Min Ho said. He then followed Professor Lee out and closed the door behind him.

“Phews.” Onew sighed when they left and leaned at the table behind him for support. “Nice one Onew. Where did you get that courage from man?” He muttered under his breath. He looked before him and found the answer. It was bleeding profusely from the slit made by the digital caliper. Onew took a piece of gauze from the First Aid Kit and compressed on the wound.

“It must have hurt. Sorry for coming late. “ Onew said to it while he held the gauze on ‘it’ ‘s face. Suddenly he felt something wet. It isn’t the blood. It was… tears? “Did you just… cry?” Onew stared at it and asked. “Onew…” it said. “Oh my god! “ Onew was taken aback. He jumped away and backed away to table. “Did…did…you just … speak?!” Onew asked in disbelief.

“Don’t be afraid. I won’t harm you. Really. I am just like you. Just that we are slightly…different I guess? “ It continued. “ Why are… you…you talking to me?” Onew asked in his trembling voice. “Because I… trust you. And I need your help.  Can you help me?” It asked. “ Help you with…?” Onew asked in a puzzled manner.

“Professor Lee and Min Ho will soon know that I can speak. By then it will be too late. I will be in danger. So I need you to help me get home. Please. Will you help me?” It pleaded as it laid in the animal trap thing. “Home? Where are you from?” Onew listened intently and questioned. “ I am from an isolated island offshore. No humans live there. Only our species stay there. It is like another world away from humans if I put it in simpler terms. That day, my sister and I wandered off alone. We were caught by some people who sold us to an organization. We were then transferred here for research.. But my sister…” it stopped.

“ Your sister? The other one who was put down by Professor?” Onew questioned. “Yes, she was killed when she retaliated. Before my eyes… I don’t want to end up like her. I beg you to save me. I can trust you rights?” It continued. Suddenly, the door flung open. Min Ho and Professor Lee were standing at the door. Professor Lee smirked and walked towards Onew. He then placed his hand across his shoulders.

“Great job, Onew. I knew you were the right one. This is definitely a breakthrough for our research. You will get your rightful reward. “ Professor said to Onew. “What…I…but…” Onew was lost for words.” Onew turned back and look at it. All he saw in its eyes were deeper hatred and distrust. It thought he betrayed itself.

“Bring him out.” Professor Lee said to Min Ho. Min Ho brought Onew out of the room and into Professor Lee’s office. Sitting at the chair, Onew slowly sorted things out. “How did you know…” Onew paused as Min Ho spoke. “We suspected recently that it can speak and that it seems to behave differently to you. We installed a surveillance camera in the room so we overheard your conversation just when we were about to leave from here.” He pointed to the Television in before the table.

“So… it is my fault. Darn it. I just gotten it… I mean her into trouble!” Onew thought to himself. Then, Professor Lee entered. “Oh.. Let’s see who we have gotten here! It is our bright and capable Onew…!” Professor said and laughed. Onew managed an awkward smile.”Anyways, you will be out of this project. I just contacted the sponsors and told them our discoveries. They have high remarks for you and will give you a handsome sum. So for now, you will just continue on your other projects. We will hand over this project to higher authorities soon.” Professor sat down and continued.

“If there is nothing else, do we take our leave first?” Min Ho asked politely. Professor Lee nodded and signaled them to leave first. Min Ho nudged Onew and they left the room. On his way home, Onew’s mind was in confusion. “This is crazy. Everything is happening way too fast.” Onew thought to himself, still unable to believe what just happened. “No way. I can’t just leave like this. It…I mean She misunderstood me. I am not in cahoots with them.” Onew said to himself and headed back to his work place.

The lab was in pitch darkness when he went back. He fumbled through the darkness and switched on the lights. He headed to the room and fished out the key from his pocket. However, to his surprise, the key couldn’t fit the lock. The lock has been changed. “What? Who… Professor Lee changed the lock!?” Onew mumbled to himself. “Oh crap. This is bad.” Onew thought to himself.

Author's Note:
Hope you all enjoy reading !(: Do comment^^