The chosen path

The forbidden love

Onew was already at the pier. It was 3pm in the noon. He decided to be here early in case those people decided suddenly to leave earlier. “After much thinking, I still think it is too risky to go alone without anything.” Onew thought to himself. With that, Onew made his way to the nearby provision shop, bought a haversack. He then purchased some bottles of mineral water, boxes of chicken biscuits and other food. He also bought some medication, god knows why but he just felt there was a need.

“A bag of survival needs, that’s what the TV always show. “ Onew thought to himself, satisfied with his purchase. He stole a glance at his watch and realised that it was 4pm. The Yatch management centre always finishes the maintenance and sends it to dock at the pier approximately 3 plus hours before time of usage. “Now. It should be here. Time for work.” Onew mumbled. He walked past the Yatches docked near the pier and started looking at the numbers. “Oh. Yatch no 3770. This is it.” Onew thought to himself.

He took a quick look around, ensuring that there was no one and did a quick hop onto the Yatch. The Yatch sink down into the water a little and floated back up. Onew did a quick balance and started looking for a hiding place. There was no time to lose. You never know when they will be here. Onew walked into the Yatch. The furnishing was indescribable. “Rich is the word” He thought.” Anyways, that wasn’t the focus. Concentrate!” Onew shook his head a little to remind himself he is carrying out Plan E.

He walked out of the cabin in despair. “The rooms are impossible to hide in.The cupboard is too risky. Now what?” Onew hung his head down and stomped his feet. “Oh! This.” Onew thought to himself when he heard the floor below him produce a different sound. The ground is hollow! He slides his nails into the almost invisible gap and lifted the piece of floor board. “Oh. So a secret compartment? What the heck is this for man anyways?But that’s not the problem now. Plan E succeeded.” Onew thought. “

He went into the secret compartment. It was considerably spacious. It seemed to be used for storage. Onew moved and sat behind the mess of things stored. “This should be good enough.” Onew reassured himself as he shifted the things slightly to surround him before using the net to cover the goods again. Onew was a little tired but he knew he can’t sleep. He glanced at the watch which moved second by second. He couldn’t take it anymore, he fell asleep.

“Hey. Be careful, don’t break it you retard.” Onew was startled when he heard a rough voice said. He repositioned himself and sat up, praying silently that they wouldn’t find him out. He heard some shifting sounds, shuffling of footsteps and some muffled voices. “ Okay, done. Let’s go up and have some drink. “ One of the men said. “ And play some cards.” Another added. Just by listening, Onew deduced that there were at least 3 of them for now. He peeped from a small gap and saw that they left before letting out a small sigh.

Suddenly, he heard some sobbing. This is it. He is certain. That familiar sound seems to be hers. However, he knew he can’t come out at this moment and say stuff like,” Don’t worry. Everything will be fine because I am here.” No one knows when those burly men will return. He could only stay put and hear her cries. His heart felt something weird, as if it was hurting. Onew sat back and continued to look through the small gap, at the large card box. He didn’t know where they were heading. He didn’t know what will turn out for them. He didn’t know who the men are.

He didn’t know anything but he just wanted to follow where his heart lead him to. He wondered how everyone was. How was Suzy after he left her behind? How were his friends? How is his mum’s health? Whether she is coping well in America? He had many worries but what he is most worried of is before him.

He slipped his phone out of his pocket and took a look. As expected, there was no signal. Who knows which part of the isolated world he is in currently?  Onew leaned back, holding his phone tightly in his hands and closed his eyes. Hopefully, everything turns out fine. However, he had a bad feeling since the start…

He felt a jerk. After quickly opening his eyes, what met his eyes was mere darkness. He looked at his phone and realised it was 6pm of the next day already. Probably he was really tired for he slept for so long. He shone his phone through the gap and smiled upon seeing the box still around. At least, she is safe for now. Leaning his ears on the wall, he tried to hear for any noises or sounds like yesterday. However, the screams, the laughters and the noises were absent. “They got off the ship?” Onew guessed.

He gathered his courage and walked out of his hiding place. He climbed up the flight of stairs carefully and finally reached the top. Slowly, he pushed the board up slightly and peeped. He must do it discreetly in case they were still on board. After all, it was just his guess that they are gone. Luckily, they were really off the Yatch. He saw a fire from afar and saw the men drinking and eating while circled around a fire.

“This is the chance.” He thought to himself. Gladly, he quickly rushed back down the flight of stairs . Although it was dark but things were still kind of visible with the help of the moonlight which shone through the hole at the side of the room wall.  Obviously, he couldn’t lift the bulky glass enclosure from the card box so he swiftly destroyed the card box.

When he opened the card box, he saw those eyes once again. Those eyes that he last saw. Those eyes that showed emotions. Those eyes that he missed. “Why are you here?” She said. “For you.” Two simple words but meant a whole thing to her. She knew he didn’t betray her at least that’s what she believed. “Faster. We have to get you out of here. Curl up because I guess there is no other option.” Onew ordered.

He picked up the hammer from somewhere in the storage room and hit the glass enclosure with all his force. The blow was hard and the glass enclosure gave in to the immense pressure. It shattered into uneven pieces and fell to the ground. Definitely the impact was loud but those men were too busy and far to hear. “Let’s go. “ Onew said and held her hands. She got up from her squat position but fell back immediately.

“I lost my sense of walking.” She said and looked back at her legs which refused to budge. He supported her and they got out of the storage room. They instantly hid behind part of the Yatch, away from their sight. Onew took a quick look of the surrounding. The only way was into the forest. However, they have to move in a way that won’t be discovered. And the only way out: Was the sea. If they walked off the Yatch, even if they run, they will be spotted.

“Can you swim?” Onew asked as he looked at her. “I can try.” She said decisively as if she read Onew’s mind. She knows too that it was the only way out.The two of them held onto one another and jumped into the sea. The waves were rough, assailing them in all directions. Onew swam forward with all his might but stopped for a moment to check on her. “Where is she?” Onew thought. Suddenly, he saw a blue head popping up and down.

“Crap. She can’t swim?” He thought. He hurriedly swam towards her and used the life guard saving techniques and pulled her towards the coast. “You okay?” He asked with a worried look. She coughed out some water and nodded with a smile. “I am still ok. Let’s go into the forest before they see us.” She continued and tried to stand. “ I will carry you on my back. It will be faster.” Onew stood up and bend his back slightly. She slowly climbed onto his back. Onew picked up his haversack which was drenched, from the sands.

“Hold on tightly. I don’t want you to fall.” Onew said softly. She wrapped her hands tightly around his neck. Onew then walked fast into the forest with one hand holding his haversack and the other holding onto her leg. They walked into the forest together, unknown of what the path lies ahead of them.

 

Author's note:
-Mental squeals- (:  Hope you like it. :D