Was it a mistake?

The forbidden love

Min Ho and Professor Lee stood in front of the computer screen with their eyes wide open. “How can it be? That thing has DNA of chromosomes number as many as us?! This means that it is not considered an animal? Then what the heck is it?” Min Ho exclaimed with his eyes still glued to the results displayed on the screen. Professor Lee nodded his head and muttered under his breath,” This is getting interesting.”

Unknown to the findings, Onew was alone in the ‘forbidden’ room during lunch. He bought raw meat and started feeding it. However, instinctively Onew felt that it enjoyed the vegetables more. “You don’t like it? Want some vegetables?” Onew questioned. The creature seemingly nodded slightly so Onew went to get some vegetables.

Onew threw the vegetables in and the creature started gobbling them down. Then, Professor and Min Ho entered the room. It quickly swallowed the vegetables and chewed on the raw meat. Onew, afraid of being scolded by Min Ho for feeding the wrong feed, hid the bowl away. “Done with feeding?” Min Ho asked. Onew nodded his head and left the room for lunch.

“Sandwich again?! Darn it. Annoying sandwich I am not eating you!” Onew said in a kiddy manner to the vending machine and turned his back against it. After a few seconds, Onew turned back and inserted coins into the machine. He selected the Chicken one and started to munch on it hungrily once he removed it from the machine.

After finishing his food, Onew made his way up. Onew had forgotten to keep the bowl of vegetables in the fridge so he went back to the ‘forbidden’ room.  He unlocked the door with his key and entered the room. He was shocked by what he saw and just stood there. Professor Lee and Min Ho was pinning the creature down. They forced open its mouth and shoved a forcep into its mouth.

They pluck three teeth at one go, ignoring its struggle. The placed the teeth in a metal tray before throwing the creature with the animal trap thing into the glass enclosure. The quickly removed the metal trap and closed the enclosure. The creature placed its hands on the mouth and appeared to be in severe pain.

Onew finally stepped forward. “Why didn’t you use anesthetic before removing three of its teeth?! “ Onew questioned in a slightly raised volume. “Because the chemical is expensive and should only be used in more important cases.” Min Ho answered. “What? More important? The use of an anesthetic to minimize the pain of our test during research! At least that’s what I learnt!” Onew rebutted and stormed out of the room.

Along the corridor, Onew met the gang who were back from lunch. “ Hey Onew. Where are you going?” Tae Min asked. Onew just walked past and ignored them. “What’s up man?” Jong Hyun remarked. Key shrugged as the gang continued to walk back. Suzy stared at the back view of Onew turn by the corridor and disappear before she continued to walk.

“I wonder what was wrong. Hope he is fine.” Suzy thought to herself.  Onew walked quickly out of the building and aimlessly on the street. Until he was tired, he rested on some bench along the road. He hung his head down and thought, “Did I make the right decision to be a laboratory assistant? Maybe I am not a cut out for it after all. I cannot understand and accept their style. I really can’t.”

Onew scratched his head in an annoyed manner as the image of how the creature was in pain after the teeth removal was stuck in his head. “Seriously. This is so inhumane of them.  Maybe… In future…Will I be like them too?” Onew thought to himself. Onew shook his head to clear the thought out of his mind.” Suddenly, Onew’s phone vibrated in his pocket.

After taking it out, Onew looked at the screen which displayed the incoming call was from Tae Min. Onew picked up and heard,” Onew! Are you still not coming back? Professor Lee wants you back now.”  Onew replied reluctantly,” Yea, I understand. I will be on my way now.”  “Faster, faster. I don’t want to be your scapegoat!” Tae Min said in a soft voice.

Onew hung up and started making his way back. When he returned to the lab, Tae Min pointed to Professor’s office. “Professor told you to find him once you are back.” Tae Min said timidly. Onew entered Professor’s Lee office after knocking twice. “Take a seat.” Professor Lee who was sitting on his chair said to Onew. Onew politely nodded and sat in front of the table.

“So… I guess you are not used to the proceedings? It’s okay. Everything will be fine after a while. Perhaps this is because you are still new. I hope your passion is still there. I believe that you will make a good Laboratory assistant in future. Or rather you are coping really well for now. You will have great achievement. Just take things easy.” Professor Lee reassured.

Onew nodded and felt slightly at ease. “If there is nothing else, you can get back to work first.” Professor said with a smile. Onew smiled and stood up. “In this case, I will take my leave first. Thank you.” Onew replied and backed to the door. Once the door was shut behind Onew, Professor Lee smirked and remarked,” Naïve kid.”

The day passed by like normal working days. As usual, everyone left first and Onew had to feed it dinner. Professor Lee left for a joint meeting with other researchers. Min Ho had some family matters so he left first too. Therefore, Onew was the only one left in the lab.

Onew unlocked the room and switched on the lights. He walked to the fridge and removed the bowl of vegetables. Looking at the large pieces of vegetables, Onew had an idea. He took out a chopping board and knife and started slicing them into smaller pieces. After completion, he dropped the food into the feeding hole.

“Hope it will help you better to chew. It must have hurt like hell today. You should chew on the side which is unaffected so that it won’t bleed again. “Onew said to the creature and smiled. It felt as if the creature heard and understood him. It was doing as it was told. Onew didn’t know why but he felt that he wants to protect it from further harm.

Author's Note:
I think in this chapter nothing much happened again :(

Hope you like it still.