Was it 'it' who spoke?

The forbidden love

 “Onew, stay behind to help me with something. The rest of you are leaving, rights? Bye~” Min Ho instructed and waved goodbye to the rest. They waved to Min Ho, Professor Lee and Onew before leaving as a group. “Bye bye. See you tomorrow!” Suzy whispered to Onew before running off when Min Ho shot her a glance. “Come on. Let’s go in. “Professor Lee said to them. This was the first time Onew entered the ‘forbidden’ room not in a sneakily manner. After having a good look at the interior, Onew gasped. The equipment and apparatus are more advanced than those outside the room.

“Stop looking around like an idiot and help out! Do a test on this blood sample.” Min Ho instructed. “Min Ho. Help me get the creature out. We have to get some of its skin for test.” Professor Lee said to Min Ho. They wore safety goggles, a long sterile gloves and another coat which seemed like some protection gear. “Onew, can you get out for a moment? We will ask you to come in later. Go get some drinks and take a break outside.” Professor Lee said to Onew.

Onew exited the room and was about to leave. Before he closed the door behind him, he heard the same shriek as before. He turned back and peeped through the small door gap. Onew witnessed how Professor Lee skillfully lowered some weird-looking metal animal trap into the glass enclosure and caught the creature tightly in it. They then pulled it out of the enclosure and place it on the stainless steel table top. They took a surgical knife and scrapped a piece of the creature’s skin before placing it into a petri dish.

“Throw it back into the glass tank before it goes berserk.” Professor Lee ordered as they opened the enclosure and dropped the creature into it. They then released the metal equipment and shut the glass enclosure immediately. Onew was biting his fist behind the door. He saw it. He saw how they treated ‘it’. This was different from what he learnt back in the universities. The lab rule was to ensure the animal rights despite experimentation. It was done properly back in school. The animal did not feel pain. The animal did not shriek. The animal did not…hate?

The creature laid motionlessly in the glass enclosure as if it was dying. The part where the skin was scraped off was bleeding. But this time, it didn’t cry. It just stared at the Professor Lee and Min Ho who already started their test on the skin. Onew was certain he saw hatred in those sparkling eyes.  It has emotions? Onew wiped off the tear in his eyes when he heard Professor Lee called for him. He slowly pushed open the door and replied, “Yes?” “You were there all along?” Min Ho questioned. Onew shook his head and replied, “I went to the vending machine for some coffee just now.”

“Ok, now it is our turn for some rest. You go ahead with your blood test. We will be back after some time.” Professor Lee said and signaled to Min Ho to follow him out. After taking the lift down to the lounge, professor inserted a coin into the vending machine. Professor Lee handed a cup of coffee to Min Ho as they both sat down. “Professor, if you allow me to ask… Why did you let the kid join in the research? He is too ignorant.” Min Ho said. “Min ho… Do you remember that day? I saw how that thing looked at Onew.  I don’t know how to put it but this kid will definitely be of some use to us. Don’t worry…” Professor Lee said and took a sip from his cup.

Back in  the laboratory…

Onew put down the test tube in the test tube rack and walked to the glass enclosure. “Are you okay? It must have hurt. I am sorry.” Onew said and looked down. Suddenly, he thought he heard a soft voice muttered, “It is not your fault.” Onew sprung back and stared at the creature. “Did I just hear it speak?! I must be going crazy …Really crazy!” Onew mumbled to himself.

Onew picked himself up from the floor and went back to his workplace and continued. After some time, Professor Lee and Min Ho returned. “Everything is fine?” Professor asked. Onew attempted to compose himself and nodded. “Why are you sweating so much?” Min ho asked. “I am just a bit hot. Never mind.” Onew explained in a slightly shaky voice. Min Ho shot a glance at Professor Lee as Onew turned back and continued with his work.

Professor shook his head and gestured to Min Ho to get down to work.  “It is getting late. We shall end our work here. Onew, wrap up and get ready to leave. “Professor Lee said. “ Professor tomorrow is my off day. I will stay behind a while longer to finish up my things.” Onew said. Professor Lee agreed to his request and handed him the keys to lock up before packing up his stuff. After ten minutes or so, Professor Lee and Min Ho was done and ready to leave. “Do not mess up anything, okay? I will leave here to you. Remember to lock up properly before going off.” Professor Lee reminded Onew before leaving the room with Min Ho.

“Is it okay to…? “ Min Ho asked the professor after they left the room. Professor Lee said coldly,” Don’t worry. There may be a surprise by trusting the kid sometimes. Something must have happened just when he was alone with that creature. “Min Ho nodded as he followed beside the Professor and took the lift down. After they left, Onew quickly finished up his test and stoppered it before leaving it in place. After an hour or two, Onew was ready to leave. He took his bag and walked past the glass enclosure to switch off the lights and lock up.

When he passed by the glass enclosure, he couldn’t help but stop before it. “Are you alright? Take care. Don’t move about so much and aggravate your injury. I am leaving. Bye.” Onew said to the blue creature which opened its eyes as he spoke. Onew didn’t know why he spoke to it, maybe because he felt the creature could understand him. Onew waved goodbye, switch off the lights and locked the room.