I guess i am really useless...

The forbidden love

The next day was no different from the normal days. As usual, everyone was busy with their lab work and Onew ate alone during lunch break. Finally, it was 6pm, the time to knock off. Everyone finished off their remaining work and was packing up, getting ready to go home. “Phews. Finally done.” Onew said to himself. He then stretched to place the specimen of blue-ringed octopus which is of the Size of a golf ball but its venom is powerful enough to kill human and there is no known antidote for its poison on the table behind him. “Phiang!” A sound of glass shattering was heard. Everyone in the lab turned over to the source of the sound. Onew had accidentally dropped the specimen of the Blue-ringed octopus.

Everyone gasped when they saw what happened. Onew was stunned and lost for a moment. He just stood there and stared at the mess before him. “Oh my. What the hell are you doing? Is this the first day you are here? Such a simple task and you could mess up?! You better clean up the mess and re-do or else you are not allowed to leave.” Min Ho said in an annoyed tone. Everyone else pitied Onew who had been working on the specimen since the start of the day.

They knew that it would be better if they make their leave first lest Min Ho might vent his anger on them. “Bye bye. We are going first!” Jong Hyun waved goodbye and took his flight first. “I am running too. Bye~” Tae Min hurriedly left too. Everyone else also made their move except Suzy. Suzy walked over, squatted down beside Onew. He wore gloves and was picking up the Blue-Ringed Octopus to place it into a new glass jar.

“I guess you will need help here.” Suzy said with a smile. “It’s okay. I can do this myself. You should leave too in case Min Ho gets upset. I appreciate your offer anyways. Thanks but it’s okay. Bye bye. Get going. “Onew rejected her offer. “In that case, I will leave first. Fighting!” Suzy pulled her clenched fist down and cheered him on slightly. She then stood up and went back to her table. Picking up her bag, she headed to the exit and mouthed a goodbye before waving to Onew.

Onew waved and kept his hand when she left. He looked down up the shattered glass pieces and chemicals spilled on the floor. “This will definitely be a tough night! Haiz…” He thought to himself. After sweeping, cleaning up and throwing the rubbish in a bio-hazardous bag for disposal, Onew was preparing the preservation liquid again. Suddenly, a thought occurred to him. He forgot that he had not fed the creature.

He placed the test tube back onto the rack, stoppered the chemicals and removed his gloves. He hurried to the room and unlocked it. The creature was curled up and a corner sleeping. Onew switched on the lights and got some vegetables for it. He lightly dropped the food from the feeding hole, hoping that he would not disturb it.

Suddenly, the door flung open. Min Ho entered and saw Onew feeding it with vegetables.  “What the heck are you doing now? Didn’t I tell you to feed it raw meat? “Min Ho questioned Onew in a fierce way. The creature was startled and awake by the loud commotion. “But… it is because I thought it preferred vegetables so…” Onew attempted to explain.

 “What rubbish are you talking about? We have experimented before that this thing doesn’t eat vegetable. It only eats raw meat. In fact, it vomited the previous time we fed it with vegetables. Why are you taking things into your own hands? Why can’t you just follow instructions?! Are you responsible if anything happens to it?” Min Ho reprimanded.

“But…It really does eat vegetables. You see can see it for yourself.” Onew said and pointed to it. Onew looked at the creature silently praying that it will just eat like it always did during normal days. However, it just continued lying there staring at Onew. “Enough of this nuisance and remove the god damn vegetables from the enclosure and feed it raw meat. Now!” Min Ho commanded and stared at Onew.

Onew took a long tongs and removed the vegetables from the enclosure and dropped in raw meat. Min Ho supervised Onew as he carried out his commands. He walked off when he saw it eating the raw meat. “I will get going. You better complete your Blue-Ringed Octopus specimen before leaving. I need it by tomorrow.” Min Ho shouted from outside. Onew heard the door from the outside close and he let out a sigh of relief.

Onew sat in front of the enclosure and said to it, “Why didn’t you eat just now? I was reprimanded again because of you. Why am I always so useless and screw things up? Such a simple task and I mess it up again. Like again. I seriously think I am a bloody good-for-nothing.” Onew  teared up slightly and allowed his emotions flow. He knew he was alone since everyone went back. He just felt like letting it all out.

He felt extremely embarrassed when Min Ho scolded him in front of everyone when he accidentally broke the specimen. He didn’t mean it that way either but no one cared. All they knew was the clumsy Onew screwed up things again. He felt wronged when Min Ho scolded him because ‘it’ really liked vegetables but not raw meat. But again, no one believed in Onew.

He hugged his knees and buried his face. “ You are different. Really different. In your own way. Don’t be affected. Cheer up.” Onew thought he heard someone consoled him but he deduced that it was his own imagination again as he looked around there wasn’t anyone. ‘It’ looked at Onew in a sorry way and thought,” I am sorry. I had to. I can’t let ‘them’ know I eat vegetables. Raw meat will make them more wary of me. Only this way I can protect myself. Sorry…”

After some time, Onew lifted his face from his knees. He knew that guys wouldn’t and shouldn’t cry. He stood up, switched off the lights and left the room. He continued with his worked till early in the morning. Finally, he was done. Onew left the specimen on Min Ho’s table and gave a long yawn. He was worn out. He glanced up his watch and realized that he do not have time to return home to change out of his clothes. Therefore, he decided to have some coffee at the lounge.

He sat on the sofa at the lounge and placed the coffee he bought from the dispenser on the table. He was really tired. He rested his head on the sofa and closed his eyes. He seriously needs some rest. After don’t know how long of nap, Onew heard someone calling out to him. “Onew… ? What are you doing here?” Onew rubbed his bleary eyes and stared at the face in front of his. “Oh… Suzy?” Onew sat up and bounced away. They were too close.

“You didn’t go home? I wanted to buy myself a drink and I found you sleeping here.” Suzy explained and took the seat beside him. “I worked till too late so I decided to take a short nap here. “ Onew smiled and said. “Oh. Your coffee is cold. You can have mine. I still have some work so I am going up first. Bye~” Suzy said with a smile and handed Onew the cup of warm coffee.  After seeing Suzy left, Onew looked down at the cup of coffee she gave him. He didn’t think much and drank a sip from it.

“Professor, I have new discovery. From the teeth we extracted from the creature, I did a detailed research. It really has the same number of chromosomes as us. It definitely is like us. I suspect that it might be able to speak. Now we need to confirm if it has a  vocal cord. Herbivores have more developed facial and lips muscles which can make it speak. Therefore, if it really eats vegetables like what Onew made it out to be, it is highly likely that it can speak. “ Min Ho said to Professor Lee as he explained the report he submitted.

Professor Lee flipped through the document and closed it before putting it down. “ This is getting interesting. We will probably have more discoveries. After all, this Onew is still useful .  I think you should keep a close eye on Onew since it seemed like we will be able to find out more things about ‘it’ from him. “ Professor Lee said and smirked. “Yes, Professor. I know what to do. That’s all from me. I will take my leave now.” Min Ho said and stood up. Professor Lee nodded and gestured that he may leave.

Author's Note:
Hope you like it (: