Scrapbooking

Best Friend and Me

 5 

 Scrapbooking 

 

 

 

   You could not go to school because you were sick. You still had your pajamas on and wore a messy bun. Your voice gotten worse from your strep throat and you were a bit hot. Even though you felt horrible you also felt the need to realize there is a bright side.

   You were at the kitchen table as your mom makes tea. She brought out a cup and poured the tea in, then she got some honey from the cabinets and oozes it over the tea with a spoon. She gives you the tea and once you carefully took a sip you were brushed all of your thoughts into the warm taste.

   "How is it?" asked your mom.

   "It's good," you replied quietly.

   There was knock at door and your mom left to answer it.

   "Hello."

   You overheard that it was your friend.

   "Lee Dae Hwi, how are you?" says your mom, "(Y/N) is at the table."

   You see the blonded-boy walk in with a plastic bag in his hand and sets it on the table. "I got you something~"

   "What this?"

   "Ooh," Dae Hwi explained, "What happen to your voice?"

   "You did it, you buscuit head," you blamed him with your raspy voice.

   "Have fun with that..." He said sarcastically as he rubs his neck, "Ummanim, may I also have tea?"

   Your mom settles up another cup of tea and give it to Dae Hwi and he thanked your mom.

   Dae Hwi waits for the tea to cool off for a bit. "Have you went to the doctor?"

   "No."

   He sighs looking down at the tea.

   You were also silent for a moment. You decide other than just do nothing you went to look inside the bag. You pulled out a colourful book. Not just any book -- but it was recognizable but it was old. It was your scrapbook you and Dae He made since elementary. Inside there was some remnants; stickers, glue, and pair of scissors. There were also printed sheets of pictures you and Dae Hwi took not too long ago, but it was never put in the scrapbook. Most of these photos were saved on the computer.

  "I haven't seen this since 7th grade," you said as you look through the pages of the scrapbook.

   "It was in my closet and I thought you'll want see it again," he said as he look through a couple of photograph.

   You took the scissors and cut out the few pictures.

   Dae Hwi sips his tea, "Ahh! Refreshing~"

   "Do you remember when our parents introduced us? You were mean and I hated you," you started a new subject.

   "The hotel?..."

   "You were so mean."

   "Hey, I was not mean to you!"

  "It was mean that you spilled cake on me."

  "That was like ten years ago, Hyo Min -- you can't even remember what you did last week. Anyways you were mean to me!"

   "That was ten years ago," you repeat after him, "what are you talking about?" You giggle while placing a star sticker on Dae Hwi's cheek.

   Dae Hwi poked his cheek with his tongue where the sticker is. He then got out of his chair and walked across the table, "Ten years ago I did this." Dae Hwi cradles under your arm and leaned his head up against yours.


 2007

 

    It was a large hotel and your mom had invited Dae Hwi's mom to come as a guest, of course she brought the household family. You all sat at a rounded table while the adults were chatting. That was the day when they introduced you to Lee Dae Hwi -- the time when he lost the top of his two front baby teeth and was shorter than you. Both of your parents insisted that you and Dae Hwi should go play. You rarely like meeting new people.

   Since you two compelled to bond, yet you two sat next to each other. Unfortunately, it was not a good impression as the first day.

   "Hello, my name is Lee Dae Hwi. What's yours?"

   You did not say two words.

   "(Y/N) don't be rude," your dad scolds at you.

   You looked at Dae Hwi in the eyes and slightly waved.

   "Dae Hwi doesn't always make friends easily," said his mom.

   Your mom suggestedly replies, "We should make play dates."

   "That would be a great idea!"

   Dae Hwi asks his mom for some cake and she allowed it. He steps away from the table.

   "I can see that Hyo Min is antisocial. She usually likes to do things by herself," your dad added detail in the conversation.

   Your mom agreed, "She don't even play with the kids at the park."

   Dae Hwi comes back with plates of desserts in his hands and give one dish to you.

   You did not dare to touch it.

   Dae Hwi looks at you while taking a bite, then he put his fork on the plate, "You don't like cake?"

   You faced him as he spoked to you and gulped.

   "Why are you like that? You are rude and you don't say thank you," he said with informal speech. He reaches over the plate and it slipped off his hand.

   The cake splatter on your dress. You started to bawl.

   The adults at the table were alerted. His mom gripped at his wrist and smacked it several times.

   "Umma!" He whimpers from the stings he had recieved.

   Dae Hwi's mom says sorry to your parents for the mishap and mannerless act that her son has done.

   Your mom picks you up and takes you to the restroom. Wiping away the white frosting it left some minor stains. "Is Hyo Min okay?"

   You sniffled, "Yes."

   You walk out with your mom holding hands and you see Dae Hwi comes sprinting towards your direction also having red eyes.

   "I'm sorry," Dae Hwi reels you in for a hug, "WiIl you promise that we will be friends? I don't have any..."

  You nod and hugged him back.   

   Dae Hwi's mom also comes by and made sure Dae Hwi apologized.

   Your mom sighs, "I might as well go home. It was nice for you to be here."

   "I understand," Dae Hwi's mom responded.

   Your mom takes your wrist to go with her.

   "Umma, will I see Hyo Min again?"