Extra: Dream

Wish

A surprise extra is here! I realize there's only a few happy chapter in this story, hence why I made this. I don't know if it's happy enough, but hey, I'm trying. Hope you like it!

________________________________

 

Jaebum opened his eyes. He blinked, and the tears that was blurring his eyes escaped, trickling down his temple. He woke up, crying silently about something he didn’t know. He could still feel the happiness that lingered, so much his heart ached. He tried to remember his dream, wanted to understand the cause of those feelings and held onto the feeling. But like always, his head throbbed so badly, pressuring his brain until it felt like it was going to split in two, and he gave up. Not being able to remember turned the small remnant of happiness left in his heart into frustration. His mornings had almost always been like that since he woke up from his coma. However, it had lessened much since he met that man.

Park Jinyoung.

The name still made his heart tingled. Who is he? Why did his heart ached yet happy every time he saw him? Why did the man look at him with such a gentle gaze? Whenever he looked at him like that, he couldn’t help but wondered about his past, but trying to remember made his head bursted in pain.

His train of thought was broken by a knock on his door. Yugyeom’s head appeared from the crack, concern painted over his face. Jaebum forced himself to smile, trying to reassure the younger. Yugyeom smiled back, walking in to sit on the edge of his bed.

“Having that dream again?” he asked. Jaebum sniffed, rubbing the tears away.

“Why can’t I remember? If it’s such a happy memory to me, so important I keep dreaming about it, why can’t I remember?”

Yugyeom took his hand and patted his head. “Don’t force yourself, just be patient. Maybe it’s not the right time for you to remember yet. I’m sure your memory will come back someday, when you’re ready.”

Jaebum smiled for a moment before slapping his brother’s hand. He flung his arm around Yugyeom’s neck, putting him in a headlock. “How dare you to pat your hyung’s head?”

“But I’m taller than you, hyung!”

“You little… seems like you need to be given a lesson,” he snarled, twisting his fist on the younger’s temple.

“Ow! Ow! Okay, sorry! I give up!”

Jaebum stopped and released Yugyeom. As soon as he did though, the latter grinned at him and stuck out his tongue. He yelled, “Jaebum-hyung stu~pid,” before running off the room, leaving Jaebum with an open mouth.

“Hey! Come back here, you head!”

Of course he didn’t.

 

--

 

Jaebum spun his wheelchair to the door when the bell rung. He didn’t need to watch the monitor to guess who it was. He opened the door, and he was right. Jinyoung stood there with a grin on his face, holding a grocery bag on one hand.

“Hi!”

“Hey. Come in!” Jaebum moved back, giving way for the other.

“These are the things you ask for. Where should I put them?”

“Just put them on the table there and sit down, I’ll get you a drink. What do you want?”

“Whatever you have,” Jinyoung answered as he sat on the sofa.

“Is apple juice okay?”

“Yeah. Oh right, I heard from Yugyeom your father’s gonna come next week.”

“He is, finally. He want to visit mother as soon as he came here so he’ll come on weekend, when Yugyeom’s not working.”

After Yugyeom graduated from college, his family decided to settle at Korea since his father’s retirement was also nearing. So Yugyeom got a job in Seoul, and came earlier with him to arrange their settlement there while his father finished everything that needed to be taken care of there.  Jaebum would also continue his study again, since he hadn’t graduated yet. He wanted to, and he thought he was already healthy enough to do that. He had enough of Yugyeom teasing him about graduating earlier than him. And just two days after they landed at Korea, when they hadn’t even moved to their apartment yet, the man he was pouring a glass of apple juice for at the moment came to him with teary eyes, and somehow he also had them. He then put the apple juice on the table in front of Jinyoung, who was holding the book he just finished.

“You were reading my book?”

Jaebum nodded. “I needed my new fill of books so I asked Yugyeom to take me to a bookstore last week for a hunt. I found your book there, so I bought it. I’ve been wanting to read your book since you told me you’re an author anyway.”

“Whoa, getting your book read by someone you know is really embarrassing,” Jinyoung said, but he was smiling. “Do you like it?”

“I like it so much, it’s great. It’s interesting how you blended the main character’s dreams and reality so well that you never know they were all dreams until it was revealed nearing the end. It’s heartbreaking that all the moments that he was together with his lover were all dreams, emerged from his longing toward his dead lover. It’s so sad.”

“It is, isn’t it?” Jinyoung gazed at the book with a smile tinged with sadness. He hated that look on Jinyoung’s face, it made his heart clenched. He would do anything to erase it.

“Hey, how about we continue the drama we watched before? I’m so curious of what will happen after that.”

Jinyoung looked up and smiled at him, genuine enough he almost sighed in relief.

“Alright, which episode did we left it off?”

 

--

 

Jaebum slowly woke up, feeling so warm and comfortable he didn’t want to open his eyes, but he sluggishly did anyway. The awareness of his surrounding slowly came to him, until he looked up and realized the source of that warmth.

It’s Jinyoung. He was sleeping while leaning on Jinyoung’s shoulder.

He jolted away in reflex, but then Jinyoung’s head began to slide down from losing its support. He stopped it from falling with his hand and gently move it to his shoulder so the other wouldn’t wake up. He stared at the pitch black tv screen in front of them, which reminded him that they were watching drama earlier. He must’ve fallen asleep in the middle of it, and Jinyoung turned it off and fell asleep too. He gazed at Jinyoung’s sleeping face, beautiful in its tranquility. Nostalgic feeling he couldn’t understand washed over him in little waves. He watched as Jinyoung’s mouth parted, and along with his breath he muttered a word so quietly he almost missed it.

Correction. It wasn’t a word. It was a name. His name.

Jaebum smiled. Why was Jinyoung dreaming about him? Then he remembered the book, and the smile faded. Was that story from his own experience? Although Jinyoung never said it, he understood that they were in a relationship before from how the other treat him, how Yugyeom knew well about Jinyoung, the couple rings, and the unexplainable endearing feeling that swelled his heart when he saw him. Then all those while before they met Jinyoung thought he was dead? How come he didn’t forget him? What had he been going through for the past years? What happened seven years ago that left him in coma for such a long time?

His head was pounding again, he barely bit back his grunt. He took deep breaths until the pain lessened and it eventually vanished. However, the pain in his heart still persisted. Just how much this man was hurting because of him when he was blissfully unaware of it for years? And he still couldn’t even remember a thing from his past. He felt Jinyoung stirred awake, pulling himself away while sleepily rubbing his eyes.

“Sorry, I fell asleep. I didn’t get enough rest last night,” he mumbled.

Jaebum forced a smile. “Why? Are you on a deadline?”

“Something like that,” Jinyoung smiled back at him. He took the other’s hand in his. Jinyoung seemed surprised, but his smile widened. He slumped his head on the backrest, staring at Jaebum with his gentle gaze.

“Jinyoung,” he called out.

“Hm?”

“Don’t you feel disappointed when you see me?”

Jinyoung lifted an eyebrow. “Why should I feel that way?”

Jaebum averted his eyes. “Well, I’m not the Jaebum you’re looking for. I’ve lost all of my memory with you. Even if you tell me about it, or I try to remember it myself, it won’t come back. The me you know of is no longer here. The Jaebum you fall in love with isn’t me.”

Jaebum bit his lower lip. The following silence hanging in the air felt like hours, when it was just a few minutes.

“What do you mean he’s not here?” His hand was lifted up, a pair of soft lips brushed against his skin. He looked up, meeting the tender gaze Jinyoung gave him. “The Jaebum I fall in love with is right in front of me. It doesn’t matter if you lose all your memories, you’re still you.”

“But…,” Jaebum wanted to argue, but was cut off by Jinyoung.

“You don’t remember, but I’m the one who fell for you first. I fell for you at the first sight. Even after that we still didn’t get acquainted for a while, but I still liked you. You didn’t have any feelings for me when we first going out, but I still loved you. I love you just because you are you, there’s no other reason. When I thought I lost you, I lived as if I’m a dead man walking. But the memories of you kept me going forward, and the nights when I met you in my dream gave me strength to live on. In your absence, my love just grew deeper and deeper as I yearned for you. I would give anything to see you again, and God granted my wish. You’re here now.”

“It still feels like a dream even now. I spend many sleepless night, thinking that when I wake up you might be gone again. That’s why it doesn’t matter even if you can’t remember. It’s enough that I remember all of it for us. The only thing that’s matter is you’re here, where I can see you. We can make new memories again, happier than they were before. I only have to work hard on making you fall for me again. Just don’t go anywhere, and stay here with me.”

Jaebum felt tears trickling down his tears at the confession, and he smiled. He leaned closer and lightly pressed his lips against Jinyoung’s. He stared at the stunned eyes, Jinyoung’s mouth kept opened only to closed again like a goldfish, and he chuckled.

“You don’t need to work that hard. I’ve already fallen in love with you anyway.”

Jinyoung’s eyes was b with tears, yet the tips of his mouth were hanging from ear to ear, folding wrinkles at the corner of his eyes. He took of the necklace he was wearing, letting the ring slid off of the chain on his hand. He took Jaebum’s hand and put the ring on Jaebum’s finger. He lifted his hand up and kissed the back of his hand again, light flashed as it was reflected by the similar ring around Jinyoung’s finger. They kissed again, feeling so complete it was overwhelming.

Jaebum finally understood. The reason of those nostalgic feeling, the reason of those dreams he couldn’t remember. It didn’t matter that he lose his memories. What he didn’t want to lose was him with all those feelings. The him that loved Jinyoung. That was why he was unconsciously holding onto it desperately, although he didn’t remember any of it.

That alone was enough. As long as he loved Jinyoung, it was enough.

_______________________________

 

Now it really ends. Thanks for keep going with this story! Wanna write longer but I'm in a hurry so sorry but really, thanks. Love you all :))