Donation Day

I'm not lost, I'm right where I am! (Though, where I am might be lost)

WARNING: This entire chapter is just them donating blood, so there will be mentions of blood, needles, and fainting spells (no one passes out, but its talked about). If any of that bothers you, please skip this chapter! 
(And don't worry, this is during their married years so you aren't missing out on any early relationship development).


“Baaabe.”

“You’ll be fine.”

“But you’ve passed out before.”

“But you haven’t.”

“Okay, but I’ve never donated blood before, that doesn’t count.”

Kyungsoo sighed, resigned to the fact that he would be dealing with this for the remainder of the day.

This wasn’t new for him, as he had been donating since college (he even had the gold donor card, received for having donated as many times a year as was physically possible), and the entire process felt familiar and easy. He had certainly passed out a few times after donating (including the last time, actually), but it never bothered him, and the people helping him always reassured him that it was fine and him continuing to donate wasn’t a problem for his health or anything.

Chanyeol, on the other hand, had never donated, and Kyungsoo’s occasional post-donation fainting spell had freaked him out to no end. Kyungsoo was actually amazed he had convinced Chanyeol to donate at all, all considered. He supposed he should have expected the whining and continued worry from his giant manchild of a husband, though.

“Chanyeol Park and Kyungsoo Park?” A young woman popped her head out the door and glanced around, eyes settling on the two as they moved to rise. “Right this way please. You will be in that room, and you will be in that one. We just need to have you both answer some questions and have your blood pressure checked and such. It shouldn’t take long, and then you’ll both be able to come out here for the actual donation.”

They both nodded and moved towards their respective doors. Kyungsoo glanced up to see Chanyeol looking a bit pale, and with that deer-in-headlights look he got when he was somewhat panicked. He gave the elder’s hand a reassuring squeeze before they parted ways, and hid his smile when he saw Chanyeol relax a little at the familiar pressure.

The questions didn’t take long, his hemoglobin levels were fine, and he was out the door again fairly quickly. He glanced around the room, realizing Chanyeol must still be in his own room, and settled into a chair on the right to wait to be set up. It was just as the nurse was inserting the needle that Chanyeol slid into the seat across from his, and he stared at the point on Kyungsoo’s arm with trepidation, but also slight fascination. Kyungsoo chuckled at the response.

“That’s… kinda cool. How it just starts flowing like that. Like… how does it know that it should go into the baggy rather than just continuing down your arm?” Chanyeol murmured, holding out his own arm to have the location of the vein swabbed clean and marked.

“Science I guess,” Kyungsoo shrugged, looking down with renewed interest at the burgundy flow into the bag at his side.

“It’s kinda… creepy. It’s like siphoning gas from a car, but you’re the car and your blood is the gas,” Chanyeol noted.

“Alright, you may want to look away for this part,” the nurse warned, and Chanyeol quickly shifted his line of sight to the ceiling, grimacing as the needle was inserted into his arm.

Kyungsoo waited until she was done before questioning the car comment.

“So… is there something I should know? You siphon gas from cars frequently?” Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow at his husband.

“Wait, what? No! I’ve never siphoned gas! I’ve just heard of that, and that’s what it made me think of,” Chanyeol defended. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at his volume, but was secretly grateful that Chanyeol was thinking about this rather than the blood currently seeping out of his arm.

“A-huh. Sure. I swear to god, if the cops come looking for you, I’m throwing your to the dogs,” Kyungsoo said dryly.

“Some husband you are,” Chanyeol shook his head, but failed to hide his grin. “What happened to ‘For or better or for worse, in sickness and in health’ and all that?”

“I most definitely did not say ‘For better or for worse,’ and this is not a case of sickness, so you’re on your own,” Kyungsoo shrugged nonchalantly, internally laughing at the betrayed expression on Chanyeol’s face.

The banter continued for a while, and it wasn’t long before they were both done, snacks in hand and arms wrapped in black self-adherent wrap. Kyungsoo bumped Chanyeol’s hip as they walked out the door together, smiling up at him.

“Hey. Neither of us passed out.”

Chanyeol looked surprised, presumably having forgotten about the possibility, but then grinned down at him, expression shifting to pleased.

“Oh yeah, huh.”


 

A/N: Sorry if this was… boring? I donated blood today and had the urge to write but didn’t have time for anything longer than a drabble so… here we are. Fun fact, I do faint sometimes after donating (but I didn’t today!! Yay!), and it is apparently totally fine. (It just… feels awful.)

So anyway, unbetaed, basically unedited, blah blah same old same old.

Thanks for reading :3