May in January

I'm not lost, I'm right where I am! (Though, where I am might be lost)

A/N:  So January was supposed to be the month where we inserted ourselves into one of our stories (not just someone who was similar to us, but like Me. May. True to who I am), and I decided to do that here (because Kyungsoo writes anyway and so I just became a part of that). It's a little messy and unbetaed (I wrote it pretty quickly), but here you go:


 

“She was procrastinating - hard - but she couldn’t bring herself to stop. It was just so easy to validate putting off the work she needed to do and instead write. She had already been so productive today, had made a list and checked off almost all the items already, and besides, she had been wanting to write for weeks. She could never seem to find time, between university and her part time job.

May sometimes (read: often) envied her older friends. They already had a careers and spouses and their own houses. May, on the other hand, was still in university, and had absolutely no idea what she was going to do with the rest of her life. Everyone always tried to reassure her that her degree basically guaranteed her a job after university, but she wasn’t even sure she wanted to be an engineer. She was pretty determined to at least go teach English in Japan for a year after college before making any more serious life decisions.

But for now, before work or school or her career… she would write. Well, perhaps that’s making it seem much bigger than it is. She would probably write for another half hour and then get back to her homework.”

Kyungsoo shifted in front of his keyboard, rolling his eyes. This was messy. He had no idea what he was writing about.

“Chanyeol!” he called over his shoulder, cracking his neck and sighing. He had been sitting still for way too long.

“Huh?” Chanyeol asked, padding into the room, munching on a bowl of cereal. Kyungsoo eyed it thoughtfully, gauging his own hunger. Pretty low. He would wait another few hours.

“I started writing about some random girl named May. She’s an engineering student in university, but I have no idea what to do with her.” Kyungsoo shrugged. “Any ideas?”

Chanyeol grinned and bounced forward, nearly spilling his cereal. “Oh! I get to help? Uhm, uhm. Does she have a best friend? Every college story has to have the wild best friend. You can’t leave that out.” He paused, then gasped, “Unless this is gonna be angsty and she has no friends. But she’s already an engineer, that seems depressing enough. And she’s a chick in engineering. That’s even worse. Oh my goodness Kyungsoo, you better give her a wild best friend.” Chanyeol looked down at him with wide eyes and concern written all over his features. Kyungsoo snorted.

“Well you got invested fast. Sure, I’ll give her a best friend. But what’s the point of this? Should I keep it short? I had no plans when I started this.”

Kyungsoo read Chanyeol what he had already written, and the latter plopped down onto the edge of the bed, thinking.

“Well… you could make her smart but someone who struggles with some undiagnosed disorder, and then part of the story is her finally finding out and getting help, and then things get better. Maybe that’s why she doesn’t like engineering - she’s struggling a lot because of whatever it is, and resents engineering because of it. Or - you said she likes to write, right? Maybe she writes fanfiction. That’s pretty common with college students. Maybe the wild friend is her beta for her .” Chanyeol winked, and Kyungsoo wrinkled his nose, shaking his head disapprovingly before the former continued on. “Okay, the best friend should have an accent - accents are cool - and she should also be an engineer. May could be shy or something, but then with the bestie she gets kinda loud. Oh, you should definitely have her write fanfiction. Fangirls are loud as .”

Kyungsoo listened on as Chanyeol continued to spew ideas about what kinds of trouble a girl in engineering could get into (especially with the wild best friend), and couldn’t help the fond smile tugging at the corner of his lips. Chanyeol tended to flap his arms around a lot when talking, gesturing wildly (and dangerously, with that bowl of cereal forgotten in his lap), and he was getting surprisingly animated about this idea.

Kyungsoo supposed it made sense. Chanyeol had always taken an interest in his writing, but Kyungsoo had mostly assumed it was curiosity and his desire to support his husband, not really because he cared much for the writing process. But Chanyeol created things himself - music - so he supposed it wasn’t too much of a leap for him to take interest in another form of art. Besides, he did enjoy reading.

Apparently he could also spin quite a story. Chanyeol kept going, describing an entire backstory for May, and Kyungsoo had no idea where all this was coming from. She suddenly had a huge family and a tragic history involving divorced parents, and then a series of boyfriends, and then future arcs involving traveling abroad, unrequited love, character development and adjusting to medication for her disorder that Chanyeol had set his heart on her having. He kept going on and on, and Kyungsoo simply nodded here and there, breath catching at some of the sadder bits, and nearly laughing at a few of the funnier ideas.

“-and then it all culminates in her finally setting off for Japan like she had always dreamed about, uncertain but excited about her future. No boyfriend to tie her down, no job already set in stone…” Chanyeol trailed off, breathing a bit heavily from his long brainstorm, but a broad smile adorning his features. Kyungsoo was impressed - that had been weirdly indepth and strangely well thought out and put together.

“Chanyeol… have you ever considered writing?” Kyungsoo began, speaking slowly and raising an eyebrow. “Because it sounds like you already have a novel planned.” Seeing the defensive look on Chanyeol’s face at that, Kyungsoo quickly backpedaled. “And I actually mean that, I’m not teasing you.”

Chanyeol huffed, then looked down into his bowl of cereal, stirring it uncertainly.

“I’m no good at writing, trust me. But, I do like to think of stories. Sometimes I imagine up entire backstories for the music I write. Like, with characters and stuff,” Chanyeol shrugged, trying to appear nonchalant. “I don’t know, it makes things more interesting that way.”

Kyungsoo considered him carefully for a moment, unsure what to make of this. They were married - had been together for years now - and he wasn’t sure how this could possibly have never come up before. Kyungsoo was a writer for pete’s sake.

“Chanyeol…That’s literally one of the best things I’ve ever heard and I don’t know why you’ve never told me, but I’m going to make out with your face now because you definitely just upped your attractiveness by at least ten percent.” Kyungsoo grabbed the bowl from Chanyeol’s lap, setting it on the nightstand, and took it’s place, wrapping his arms around the latter’s neck. He snorted at the affronted look on Chanyeol’s place.

“What? That should be at least a twenty percent increase. I just revealed - and discovered because I didn’t even know - a startling ability to come up with a novel’s worth of ideas in like, twenty min-” Kyungsoo cut him off with a kiss, sliding his hands into Chanyeol’s hair and settling further into his lap.

“I’m pretty sure that for a twenty percent increase, you would have had to start off much less attractive than you already are. Percent increase is based off the amount you began with,” Kyungsoo muttered breathily against his lips, teasing. He shuddered slightly at the feeling of cold hands slipping under his shirt and the elder pulling him back into the kiss.

“Oh, so you already think I’m super attractive? Does this mean I’m already almost to maximum?” Chanyeol smiled into the kiss, then proceeded to bite Kyungsoo’s lip, causing the younger to tighten his grip in his hair and rock forward slightly. They both breathed in sharply.

“Definitely not. There’s always room for improvement,” Kyungsoo gasped out when Chanyeol moved to his jaw and then his throat, on the skin there. He yelped when he felt himself being lifted, and then pushed back onto the bed. Chanyeol settled between his legs, arms caging him in on either side, and a smug look on his face.

“Yeah? I bet you ten bucks I can make you take that back,” Chanyeol challenged, raising an eyebrow and grinning cockily. Kyungsoo glared at him.

“Deal.”

***

Some time and much less clothing later, Chanyeol rolled over, grinning lazily at a blissed out Kyungsoo.

“You owe me ten bucks.”

 


A/N: So, this was mostly because I needed a break from homework and then I couldn’t seem to write anything, and whenever I can’t write, I turn to Kyungsoo apparently. I originally had no part in this, but then I sorta changed stuff so that it was Kyungsoo writing.
:D Oh and technically, you could say Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are my parents and I am their brainchild. Hehe.