the show.

1 + 1:59 PM (revamping)

 

5000 fans.

 

5000 anti-fans were written in RED bold letters on the screen in front of the recent addition to 2PM, Jisoo. Her heart clenched hard as if it has been squeezed dry.

 

It never even passed her thought that people would go to this far to express their opinion of her as Jisoo, the youngest and recent member of one of South Korea’s popular group; 2PM.

 

For the most part, Jisoo couldn’t do anything about what has happened in her new life. She would be hated no matter what she does. It was practically because she came into the industry in the worst moment. Her debut pretty much implied as a replacement for 2pm’s leader, Park Jaebum, even though it has been explained that it was not the case. People perceived the company’s response as a lie. The public would never know that ended up being part of the group as a distraction and JYP hoped that she would be able to help the boys to be themselves again.

 

Based on what was happening in her life, she can say that it literally . She had no friends in this new world except CC. The other Idols were wary of her presence. Even the trainees in JYPE avoid her presence. It was like she was a plague. She hated it. Jisoo was craving a connection; human touch other than those who are already close to her. She wanted friends.

 

Every day has become an emotional struggle to keep herself intact for a long as she could. The 6 boys she was working with were not helping to keep her sane. Instead, they were the ones forcing her to break. Little by little, hold on her sanity was getting weaker, as if it was paper being soaked in water. If everything continues to be the same, it would be just a matter of time before all hell breaks loose.

 

“If this goes on, I’ll end up in a mental facility” she voiced out to herself one time after receiving another dose of the group’s bullying.

 

The new replacement she got suddenly rang. She peered over the screen and saw her manager’s name on it. She quickly answered it.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Ah Jisoo-sshi JYP wanted to tell you in advance that you’ll be attending a reality show the boys have been part of. It’s Idol Army and they’ll be having a special episode featuring the whole group. He wanted you to prepare a routine to showcase. It might help boost up your popularity.”

 

“Did JYP ask anything specific?”

 

“Well, he said that perform with a female partner.”

 

That a little bit of an odd request. Wasn’t she supposed to avoid any negative attention? Jisoo didn’t think too deeply about it.

 

“Thank you. Hyung-nim.” Jisoo paused. “Can I call you that?”

 

“Silly boy. You have called me hyung numerous times and you’re still asking permission now?” The manager laughed.

 

“I guess it was a little too late” she smiled sheepishly as if the caller was in front of her.

 

“I should leave you alone now to prepare. You’ll be attending with the others by the end of the week so do your best. Araso?”

 

“Yes Hyung!” She replied enthusiastically. Her spirits were lifted. She was given an opportunity to show her best.

 

After the call, she went out of her room and proceeded to the private kitchen provided in her unit. She took out a few things inside the fridge and settled them on the empty kitchen counter. While preparing, she thought hard on what she can do for the show. JYP specifically instructed to have a female partner and that only means that he would perform a dance routine.

 

“What kind?” she thought aloud. Jisoo knew dance genres would greatly affect her image. According to what she had learned from the 1-month training she had, assets are the most important.

 

She had learned a lot of styles, but it was RnB that she liked the best. It was the only thing she was very comfortable to show around.

 

“RNB it is!” she exclaimed before reaching out for a knife and started cooking.

 

Because of enthusiasm, she cooked too many for herself. In fact, it was enough for ten people. It would have been a shame to let all the food end up in the trash. That was when an idea struck her. She could give the food to the guys. But if they knew it came from her, they would just throw precious food. She was probably crazy for thinking of such an idea.

 

They were torturing her every day and yet she had thought of giving them the food she cooked. Crazy or not, she couldn’t let good food go to waste. That was how she was raised. Her brother taught her the importance of every food served.

 

“What if I just pretend that a neighbour dropped it in front of the dorm?” It was a perfect cover. That way they’ll have no suspicion that it came from her.

 

Her heart jumped in excitement wondering if they’ll love it. According to Yoosu and the rest of her friends back home, she was a good cook. Even her brother, who was a chef living in Japan agrees. She just hoped they would react the same. She had never cooked for anyone beside for her brother and her friends.

 

They would be the first.

 

She took out a disposable container and filled it. She looked at the container and a small smile formed on her lips. She was even excited about the whole thing.

 

Her eyes glanced at the clock and saw that it was almost time for dinner. Jisoo quickly cleaned up the kitchen and headed out to the main dorm. Before she knocked on the door, she gaze on the food container and decided it would be more believable to have a note placed. It would lessen any suspicion if there will be.

 

The maknae went back to her unit and took a sticky note and a pen. She wrote on the note: “2PM FIGHTING! MAY THIS GIVE YOU STRENGTH! ENJOY!”

 

Satisfied, she went to the main dorm and knocked on the door. Chansung opened the door and greeted the rookie with a grumpy face. Jisoo was about to greet her sunbae but was left alone abruptly. Chansung didn’t bother looking back and returned to his business.

 

The youngest walked her way toward the kitchen, where the group manager was. He was fixing dinner with the help of Junho.

 

“Good Evening” she greeted the two.

 

Minjae, the manager, looked up and greeted the same. “Good Evening to you too! What have you got there?” He saw the container Jisoo was holding.

 

“Ah this? Someone left it in front of the dorm. It even has a note.” The maknae showed the note to the manager.

 

“A fan probably gave this.”

 

“Isn’t it forbidden for fans to sneak in?” Junho interrupted.

 

“The fan probably lives in the building.”Their manager guessed.

 

Junho couldn’t contain his interest on what was on the maknae’s hands. “So what’s in the container?”

 

“Pasta.” Jisoo answered. A small smile was forming on her lips. She could sense that Junho was interested.

 

“Western food for a change.”

 

Jisoo nodded in agreement.

 

“Jisoo would you prepare the table? I’ll serve the pasta.” Minjae took the container from Jisoo’s hands and took a serving plate from the cabinet.

 

“Okay hyung.” Jisoo obediently did as instructed.

 

When everything was set, the group’s manager called the others. “Guys! Dinner’s ready!”

 

Chansung was the first one to sit at the table. “Woah! Pasta!” His eyes twinkled at the sight of western food. It has been awhile since they last ate food besides Asian cuisine.

 

“Who cooked?” Nichkhun asked to their manager as he sat.

 

“Jisoo found it in front of the dorm. A fan gave it.” Minjae replied and started serving himself of the food.

 

The whole group including the manager dug in on the pasta Jisoo made. The maknae pretended to be oblivious from where the food came. It was an exciting experience for him. As said before, no one actually tasted his cooking besides her friends and brother.

 

“This is good! Like from a restaurant.” Junsu praised as he continued to eat.

 

“I rate this 10 out of 10 points!” Taecyon sang.

 

A couple of them laughed. Warmth filled their expressions. It was the first time Jisoo saw such expressions on their faces. Deep in her heart, she was jumping in joy.

 

“I’ll never get tired of this!” Junho commented.

 

Jisoo watched everyone. They were all satisfied. Even Wooyoung who didn’t speak aloud, had a peaceful look etched on his face.

 

That night’s dinner was the best among his nights spent with the whole group. There were no pranks, just plain old dinner. 2PM member still ignored him but at least eating with them was pleasant than it was before.

 

When she was alone in her room, she almost squealed in joy. Her food garnered praise from everyone. She couldn’t believe that even Taecyon and Junsu were in a good mood. Too bad that they didn’t know it came from her. If they knew, they would probably throw the food without tasting it.


Jisoo was so happy at their reactions that she decided to make it a habit to cook for them.

 

2pm’s maknae was energized. There was hope. Those smiles she saw even for a short while gave her the strength to continue. The next thing she could do was do her best like always. And the best way to do this is through that reality show JYP asked of her to perform. All she needed to do was find a partner.

 

A partner.

 

Finding a dancer inside the company was almost close to impossible. The only dancer she could ask at JYPE was the dance instructor JYP introduced to her. What she needed is a female partner, not a male one.

 

Other than him, there was another choice. Her friends could help her. However, there was a catch. Her friends didn’t have a clue that she was the new male member of 2PM. Jisoo wasn’t sure how will they react to it. Telling everyone will cause higher exposure risk. Her unnies: Mina and Leena should be kept in the dark until everything was better. Jisoo knew them too well. If they discovered how harsh her co-members have been to her, they would beat the boys to death and more problems would arise from it. The best thing to do was ask Yoosu, Jaemin, Taesun and Minjae to keep it under wraps until she was ready to tell the girls.

 

It was only 10 in the evening. Jisoo knew that the boys were still awake and causing trouble somewhere. She decided to give one of them a call using her personal phone.

 

Someone answered after 3 rings.

 

“Yeboseo?” A young voice answered groggily.

 

“Taesun-ah!”

 

“No-noona!” Sooji heard scrambling from the other line. Taesun almost shouted at recognizing his noona’s voice. He quickly stood from where he sat and searched for a place where none of his friends were in sight before talking louder.

 

“It’s been awhile.” Hearing Taesun’s voice made her miss her friends to the point that her eyes watered. It felt like she had been away for years not months.

 

“Where have you been?! The hyungs and don’t forget Leena noona and Mina noona going crazy for not being able to contact you! All you left was a note saying you’ll be away for some time! You put us in panic!”

 

“Mianhe… I’ve caused everyone to worry”

 

“You owe everyone an explanation!”

 

“Yah Maknae! I’m still older than you so learn to respect.”

 

“Sooji noona~ I wouldn’t be like this if you just told us. Why the whole disappearing act?”

 

“It’s a long story, but first I need help.”

 

“Huh? Are you in some kind of trouble? Did you owe anyone money?”

 

“Nothing like that.” She assured her panicking friend. “But it’s related to why I had to leave. Could you meet up with me tonight together with the rest of the guys? Keep it quiet. Don’t tell them why. Also, keep Mina unnie and Leena unnie in the dark. I think they aren’t ready to know what’s happening to me… yet. Can you do that maknae?”

 

“I guess. Just tell me the time and place.” The youngest didn’t have a choice in the matter. He was worried that something bad happened to Sooji. As a friend, he would do everything he can to help her.

 

Sooji told him an address of a quiet café where no one would bother them. They agreed to meet within an hour.

 

“Thank you Taesun. I owe you big time.” She said before ending the call.

 

An hour later, Jisoo arrived at the café. She was in a bit of a dilemma in keeping her looks obscure just in case someone spotted her outside. Even though a lot of people didn’t like her, she was still an idol.

 

Her friends were already waiting by the time she arrived. They were settled in a quiet corner where not many people would pass by.

 

Jisoo was wearing a hoodie, masking her hair just in case someone might recognize her. was also covered with a plain black mask. The first one to see her was Minjae, the playboy of the group, but he didn’t seem to recognize her. Her transformation had been drastic making it difficult even for people close to her to recognize her.

 

JYP really did a great job in making her unrecognizable even to her friends.

 

Without hesitation, she approached their table and sat on the vacant seat beside Yoosu.

 

“Hey! That seat is taken.”

 

“I know.” Sooji simply said.

 

No one in the group could recognize her.

 

“Do I know you?” Yoosu narrowed his eyes as he inspected the man taking his friend’s seat.

 

“Well you should be.” Sooji pulled down her hoodie and smiled at them.

 

“Aren’t you the 2pm mem-” Jaemin wasn’t able to finish his statement when Yoosu grabbed her shoulders to take a good look at her.

 

“OH ! SOOJI!” Yoosu’s eyes almost popped out of their sockets.

 

She quickly cupped his mouth with her hand. Sooji shook her head to tell him to keep it down. When Sooji was sure her friend won’t throw anymore exclamations, she slowly put down her hand. “ Not so loud.”

 

“What? Sooji noona?” Taesun looked at Sooji head to toe, shaking his head in disbelief. 

 

“Are you sure this is Sooji? Isn’t he Jisoo- the new member of 2pm?”

 

“I am Jisoo but I’m also Sooji. What can I do to convince you that I am Sooji?” She asked and then added. ”But I’m not gonna strip in front of you. I’ll tell Leena and Mina if you dare ask that of me. They’ll tear you to pieces.”

 

“You ARE SOOJI.” The fact slowly dawned on everyone. Only Sooji would know that piece of information. Her mannerisms were also the same of the Sooji they know and love.

 

“Noona.” Taesun suddenly went teary-eyed and hugged the unsuspecting friend.

 

A light laugh escaped her lips and hugged the maknae. “Surprise.”

 

They ordered first their drinks and took a couple of sips to calm themselves. All eyes were still on Sooji.

 

“ Sooji You’re out of your freakin’ mind” Yoosu exclaimed once again, but this time he lowered his voice.

 

“Thanks for the support hyung” Sooji rolled her eyes. She was just happy to see her friends after a long time.

 

“Now she’s gone totally male” This earned Minjae a punch on the shoulder from Sooji. He winced in pain at the impact. “That was a mean punch. You’ve gotten strong.”

 

“I need to.” She meant it both physically and emotionally. “I would be putty if I didn’t gain any muscles.”

 

The guys nodded their heads in agreement. 2PM’s image has always been manly so Sooji needed a bit of mass if she wanted to fit in.

 

“So what do you need help with?” Yoosu asked while sipping his coffee that he order before she arrived.

 

“Who’s got a trusted girlfriend?” Sooji innocently asked.

 

“Don’t tell me you’re here to steal our girlfriends?!” Jaemin looked outraged. He almost splashed his drink to Taesun, who dodged just in time.

 

She raised her brow and defended herself. “Stupid hyung. I need to borrow her for a while. I need a dance partner for a show.”

 

“Are you sure that’s okay? Isn’t it dangerous to bring an outsider?” he asked.

 

“JYP himself instructed me to find a partner.”

 

“Can’t you find someone in the company?” It was Yoosu’s turn to ask.

 

“Well, let’s just say that I am not in good terms with them.” She grimaced.

 

Jaemin, the most observant of the group had to ask. “Is it the same with your co-members?”

 

She wanted to avoid the question but they deserved an answer. Instead of saying it aloud, she just nodded in confirmation.

 

The atmosphere suddenly became dim. Sooji was kindest person they knew. They know what’s happening. She was already having a hard time dealing with fans. What she needed most was support from people close to her. Knowing that even those in the group aren’t in good term with their friend, they couldn’t help but feel a little aggravated.

 

“Minjae hyung’s girlfriend is definitely out of the question. She’s a blabber. I don’t even know why he likes her. We all avoid her” Taesun changed the subject in which Sooji was glad that he did.

 

“Oh! You changed girlfriends again?” Sooji asked.

 

“Twice” Yoosu added nonchalantly.

 

Minjae didn’t even look unnerved by the insult to his new girl. “It’s just about a matter of time before we break it off.”

 

“Why wait?”

 

“I like riding in her car.” Minjae was a playboy but he doesn’t have a decent car.

 

“Who’s left?” Jaemin diverted the conversation back to the partner issue.

 

Minjae, the playboy of the group teased. “Taesun still doesn’t have a girlfriend” Taesun pouted which made the rest chuckle. “That leaves Yoosu and Jaemin.”

 

“Minjae you’re forgetting my girlfriend is not a dancer. She’s a musician.” Yoosu’s closest friend out of the bunch, Jaemin, defended himself and scowled at the playboy.

 

She looked at their leader, Yoosu, who looked like he wouldn’t agree. It was probably because he was afraid that his girlfriend might snatch an idol’s attention and then his girlfriend would forget about him.

 

Yoosu was her only hope. There was one way to convince their group’s leader to say yes. She remembered that there was a time when he begged her to act cute and she refused. But, because of her dire need of his help, she was willing to do whatever it takes.

 

Sooji went into cute mode and faced Yoosu.

 

“Yoosu Oppa” she called with formed in a pout. She let her words sink in for a moment. “Please help me. Don’t you love your dongsaeng?”

 

“OH MY GOD! Sooji noona didn’t just do that!” An ‘O’ formed on Taesun’s face.

 

“She actually did an aegyo” Jaemin looked dumbfounded.

 

Everyone’s face was agape. They couldn’t believe the sight of Sooji in desperation.

 

“Damn Yoosu just say yes and help her. She’s literally begging you with that expression.” Minjae urged their leader. “I would do anything to be in your place. Somebody slap me to make sure this is not a dream.”

 

The guys were fully aware that Sooji never dared to act cute. It was embarrassing for her. They have told her numerous times that she would be prettier if she actually did, but still she refused. Having her to act cute was a clear sign of desperation.

 

“Alright. Just stop doing that! It gives me the creeps.” The last sentence was a lie. All of them knew it. Yoosu’s face turned tomato-red and it meant he enjoyed every second of Sooji’s performance. “I’ll ask her. I’m not sure if she’ll say yes.”

 

“Thank you!” Sooji hugged him hard that he almost choked.

 

Yoosu left the table to make a call to his girlfriend. Sooji was grateful her friends were helping her. She thought they would give her a hard time.

 

“So… Got any numbers from girl groups?” As expected, Minjae have never abandoned his ways.

 

“NONE.” She simply replied.

 

There was little interaction when she was working. Everyone was busy and she hadn’t been busy lately with shows. Participating on shows were the only chance she could have to talk to other groups. It’s almost impossible during music programs.

 

A couple of minutes later, their leader returned to the table with a smile on his face. “You’re lucky my girlfriend knows how to keep a secret.”

 

“Thank you so much Hyung! I owe you big time!”

 

“Yes you do! As for payment call me ‘OPPA’”

 

“I will next time. When I’m not Jisoo.”

 

“I’ll hold on to that.” He laughed and ruffled Sooji’s short hair.

 

“Not fair! How about me and Jaemin?” Minjae took the chance to act cute. Though, he failed miserably.

 

“Maybe next time I’ll owe you guys too!” Sooji laughed.

 

Hanging out with her friends made her laugh more than she did during the past month. With her spending so much of her time with the people who hated her, had drained away her spirit. It was a good thing that she was able to meet her friends even if it was only a short time.

 

It was already 2 in the morning when they realized it was already time for them to go.

 

“Yah Sooji you better call or else we’ll come and take you away!” Yoosu, Jisoo’s leader-like friend went to his usual leader mode.

 

“Yes hyung.” Sooji politely answered with a smile.

 

Time passed quickly. It was already time for her to get back. She couldn’t afford to lose anymore sleep.

 

“Noona do really have to go already?” Taesun was reluctant to let Sooji go. The maknae looked up to Sooji like a younger brother having an older sister.

 

“I still have training early in the morning. Plus, I’ll be meeting Yoosu hyung’s girlfriend later today. I can’t slack off.” She assured the maknae while petting him like a puppy.

 

“You take care. You have to remember you’re still a girl. I’m not even gonna think about what Haehyun hyung would think once he found out about this.” Jaemin told her. He was like her brother, who always concern about her but still supportive all the way.

 

“You know, I feel like we’re letting Sooji throw herself into a pack of wolves” Minjae thought out aloud.

 

“Stop saying nonsense. Just wish her luck” Yoosu swatted Minjae’s head. The playboy could only rub the sore spot and glare at his assailant.

 

“Oh! Before I forget, JYP might be calling you in a couple of days. I have to inform him that I told you about my… situation”

 

“Talk to you soon JISOO hyung” Taesun playfully emphasized her male name. It was amazing that the name stuck to her. She used the name for fun, but now it holds another identity that defined a part of her.

 

“Night Guys! Don’t forget to keep it a secret from the noonas!” she reminded them before going inside the cab.

 

“We will! Night JISOO!” They waved until Sooji got into a cab.

 

Their concern for her was what she loved about them. She and her friends were like family. Truth to be told, they were her family. Growing up with only a brother to lean on to, there was no one else to turn to. She learned to endure by herself since her brother can’t always be there to protect her. When Haehyun introduced them to her, she found people who she can call family. 

 

After the final wave with her friends, she was once again Jisoo, the new 2pm member.

 

With barely enough sleep, she woke when her alarm rang. She cooked for the members before training. It was still a secret which she enjoyed very much. Jisoo felt like she was an agent doing sneaky things except there was nothing exceptional about it. Though, the allure of the mysterious cook was entertaining her.

 

The maknae prepared a feast for breakfast. It was simple but enough to feed the hungry idols once they wake up. She left the food in front of the main dorm’s door and rushed to JYPE.

 

Most of her classes were still the same except for the etiquette class which included variety show tips and other random things. Instead of regularly, it was changed to once a week. This way, Jisoo would be able to concentrate on other things like her vocals to maintain a deep voice that would convince it is a male voice and music classes.

 

Jisoo met Yoosu’s girlfriend Soeun that afternoon. She was a little different from what Jisoo had expected as Yoosu’s girlfriend. Given the bossy attitude of her friend, she thought that his girlfriend would be too. Instead, she was like the spring season. She gave off a calm and relaxing aura.

 

It was an awkward 5 minutes when the two first met each other after Jisoo went into the industry. Soeun almost didn’t recognize until the maknae formally introduced herself.

 

The awkwardness faded as soon as the music escaped from the speakers. Like Jisoo, Soeun was a passionate dancer. She was mostly on ballroom but she doesn’t limit herself into one type of dance.

 

By the end of the day, they managed to finish a routine and planned to rehearse a few hours before the show. Soeun was busy with her showcase and could only spare a small amount of time with Jisoo. The maknae didn’t mind since they recorded the routine which would be enough to practice on.

 

It was already 8 in the evening when they finished. The two dancers said their goodbyes to each other and went home.

 

~~~~

 

The whole 2PM crew arrived at the set early in the morning. It was common for idols to come to the show early since variety shows like Idol Army takes a whole day for its program.

 

MC Bom was already on set and they were all waiting for the other idol group to guest on the show. From what the PD told to 2PM’s manager, it was a rookie group.

 

As soon as they were settled Jisoo received a message from Soeun, Yoosu’s girlfriend.

 

‘I’M HERE’

 

“Minjae hyung I’ll be at the spare room for practice.” Jisoo informed her manager and left immediately. She didn’t waste any time.

 

The maknae rushed out of the set and sent directions went to Yoosu’s girlfriend.

 

“Noona!” she called out as soon as she saw Soeun.

 

Yoosu’s girlfriend happily approached her and gave her a friendly hug. “Let’s get to work” Soeun smiled and dragged Jisoo inside.

 

The two dancers didn’t know that there was someone watching them from a distance.

 

Back on the set, the rest of the group had some time alone.

 

“Damn it guys! Nothing’s working on the twerp.” Junsu dishevelled his hair in frustration.

 

“The glares and silent treatment doesn’t work, does it?” Wooyoung spoke. It has been awhile since the last time he spoke without anyone forcing him to.

 

“Well, do you have anything better?” Taecyon challenged.

 

Wooyoung remained unfazed and looked at the biggest guy blankly. “Why don’t we inflict physical damage?”

 

“Are you crazy?! If anyone finds out, JYP will have our necks and 2PM will be ruined!” Junho’s eyes went large, looking outraged. He might hate the guy but he won’t risk his career for the ideas they were thinking.

 

“I’m not saying to beat the crap out of him. Just push the guy’s physical limit.” Wooyoung explained. Junho managed to calm down.

 

“Wore him out until he gives up?” Taecyon asked.

 

“You got it right doofus”

 

“Watch that tongue of yours Wooyoung. You’re not the only one in turmoil here so don’t push” Nichkhun warned.

 

Everyone had their angst but Nichkhun wouldn’t let their relationship with each other be ruined by that emotion.

 

“What do we do now?” Junho asked.

 

“Let Chansung do the rest. His ways might be petty but he works wonders” Wooyoung rested his back on the couch he had been sitting on and closed his eyes. It seemed he won’t be talking to anyone soon.

 

“Speaking of Chansung, where the hell is that guy?”

 

The moment Junsu asked, Chansung came with a playful smirk on his face. “Shorty went to meet a girl”

 

“Girl?” Junsu asked curiously.

 

“I heard Minjae hyung talking the other day to JYP. They were discussing about Jisoo having a partner for the show. That girl is probably the partner they were talking about.”

 

“Then I think we can torture him some more. Chansung will you do the honours?” Taecyon smiled that meant it was up to no good.

 

“Hyung, you know how much I enjoy making his life miserable. This is no hardship.” An evil smile rose on the ex-maknae’s face and went on his way to his victim. After all, he was the reason why some of the maknae’s things are either broken or ended up in the trash. Most of the pranks have been all his doing. He had the perfect prank for the occasion. It was petty but still fun in his part.

 

Chansung saw Jisoo and Soeun finishing up on their routine for the show. He took the chance as an opportunity and sent the new maknae a message using their manager’s phone that he stole a few minutes ago.

 

He saw Jisoo suddenly stopping and fished out his phone in his pocket. Chansung saw the recognition on the guy’s face and tucked the phone back on his pocket.

 

“Noona I’ll be back. Minjae hyung just sent me a message telling me that he wants to talk about something”

 

“Okay. Hurry back. We need to run through a couple of moves.” Jisoo’s dance partner reminded as she grab for a towel and rest.

 

Jisoo nodded and hurried to meet her manager.

 

Chansung waited in a corner, waiting for the perfect chance to make his move.

 

Jisoo was turning to a corner when Chansung happened to spring out of nowhere, running through her. The new maknae felt a force pressing on her ankle, hard.

 

Bad News.

 

“Watch where you’re going!” Chansung hissed at Jisoo. “You better not embarrass us at the show.”

 

He didn’t bother helping the maknae and left her on the floor. A smile drew up on his face as soon as he was out of Jisoo’s sight.

 

The only thing Chansung didn’t realize was that he stepped on Jisoo’s ankle. He thought he just pushed the guy hard on the floor.

 

He sent another message using their manager’s phone saying, ‘Don’t come anymore. Everything’s sorted. Continue practicing.’

 

Another evil smile drew up on the ex-maknae’s face before closing the phone and returning it to their manager.

 

Jisoo, the maknae felt her phone vibrate and saw it was another message from the manager.

 

‘Don’t come anymore. Everything’s sorted. Continue practicing’

 

She closed her phone and tried to stand. The moment she applied pressure on her right ankle, a numbing pain shot up through her leg.

 

OH NO.

 

She didn’t need this to happen especially today. It was her first showcase of talent outside the stage. JYP expected her to do her best. She needed to prove everyone that she deserved to be part of the group.

 

With caution, she tried again to stand distributing his weight on both feet. She gave a sharp intake of breath and leaned on the nearest wall. It hurt a lot more than she had expected.

 

It was really bad timing. Only less than an hour remaining, there’s not much time left before the recording for the show starts.

 

Jisoo slammed her curled fist at the wall she was leaning on. She was getting frustrated for being so fragile. A mere bully pushing her off balance and then suddenly she was injured already. Deep inside her she knew she was better than this. A simple injury shouldn’t stop her. Hell, the bullying for the past week didn’t force her to quit. She just needed to endure just like she did before.

 

She took a couple of deep breaths before attempting walk without wincing. It helped when she didn’t apply too much pressure on the injury.

 

Almost limping, she went on her way back to the spare room she and Soeun had been using. Even though she tried to walk carefully without putting much weight on her ankle, she couldn’t help but wince with every step.

 

When she came by the door, Soeun greeted her. Jisoo smiled and walked towards Yoosu’s unsuspecting girlfriend.

 

That was when she noticed Jisoo’s injury. Her expression changed from excitement to concern.

 

“Oh my God! Are you alright?” She rushed towards Jisoo and helped her settle down on the floor. There wasn’t any chair available.

 

“I’m fine.”

 

“No, you’re not! Let me look at it.”

 

“There’s no nee- ah!” Jisoo tried to protest but she was cut short by the pain as soon as her dance partner removed her shoe to get a clear view of the injury.

 

Her ankle was swollen. Soeun tried to move her injured foot at the different angle which made Jisoo groan in pain.

 

“By the looks of it, this injury definitely needs rest.” Soeun gently laid Jisoo’s leg on the floor.

 

“I can’t tell them I can’t dance. It would make my image worse. I couldn’t let them see me as weak. The group doesn’t need another disappointment.”

 

“We could numb it for awhile, but it still doesn’t mean that during that time it won’t hurt occasionally.”

 

“I know noona but I can’t let the group disappointed. I’m already useless at my position.”

 

“Ok. I’ll let you do what you want, but don’t say that I didn’t warn you. It will hurt a lot. God! I bet if Yoosu was here he’ll give you an earful.” Yoosu’s girlfriend sighed in defeat.

 

Jisoo chuckled. “I don’t doubt about that.”

 

After spraying some ointment on the injury, the two continued with the final rehearsal.

 

“Hey, I think we should stop now. It would get worse.” Soeun was eyeing her partner with concern. She had her own shares of pain but it was still awful to look at someone push themselves to the limit this way.

 

“It’s nothing.” Jisoo smiled at her partner. “I had worse.” She lied. In truth, this injury was far worse than she had experienced. “I just can’t disappoint them”

 

“Even though they hate you?” Yoosu’s girlfriend fired back. She may just be a partner but the person in front of her was her boyfriend’s friend. She could see that the 2pm guys aren’t treating her well.

 

The maknae couldn’t speak for a while. She didn’t expect Soeun to know about her situation this fast.

 

As if Soeun knew what the maknae was thinking, she filled her in. “I saw how they looked at you. If looks could kill, you’ve already died.”

 

Jisoo just smiled helplessly at her.

 

It didn’t take long before the other group arrived. Jisoo received a message from her manager telling her it was time.

 

Her dance partner, Soeun helped her get up on her feet and guided her as long as no one was in sight. When they both came in the set, Soeun left her to prepare and she walked towards her co-members.

 

Everyone was already there when she came. As usual, she received occasional glares from the members as well as from the staff.

 

“Glad for you to join us” Junsu sarcastically said without looking in her direction.

 

“Mianhe hyung…” she replied quietly.

 

“Don’t you dare call any of us ‘hyung’” Junho hissed.

 

“Mianhe.” He apologized quietly.

 

It didn’t take long before the show started. MC Bom was with them and faced the camera with enthusiasm.

 

“Hello EVERYONE! This MC Bom together with the Hottest Topic in the Music Industry, 2PM!”

 

From the background, the staff can be heard applauding as the whole group bowed and smiled in front of the camera.

 

After bowing, it was followed the group introduction which was lead by Taecyon.

 

“Hello Everyone, We are… 2PM!”

 

Another round of applause was given to them. No trace of contempt can be seen on their faces. Everyone had a cheery façade. This also included Jisoo pretending nothing was wrong.

 

“Wow! The staff is going crazy because of you guys. Well, what do we have here? We also have the new member with us! Everyone let’s welcome 2PM’s newest addition to the family, Park JI SOO!”

 

Jisoo step forward from the group to be recognized as the camera lens zoomed on him. He gave his brightest smiled and introduced himself. “I’m 2PM’s new member, Park Jisoo. It’s nice to meet you all.” He bowed and stepped backward to be with the group.

 

Everyone was good at pretending. A thin line of sweat formed on the new maknae’s face as he controlled his expression. The injury was already hurting. The ointment had already worn out of its effect.

 

“He’s a little different from what I expected. Jisoo looks tamer than you guys” All members laughed but Jisoo saw a trace of annoyance on the members’ face. She just hoped the emcee didn’t notice.

 

“Looks can be deceiving.” Junho replied.

 

“Ah we’ll see about that later!” MC Bom looked at his cue cards and changed the subject. “Aside from 2PM, we have another special guest which is also taking the industry by storm. Let’s welcome B2ST!”

 

The camera moved in where a group of 5 guys emerged. All of them were confidently approaching where she and the others were standing. MC Bom was in the middle, separating the two groups.

 

“Hello, we are B2ST” They introduced themselves one by one after saying their group name.

 

Jisoo looked at her co-members’ expression when the group came. Recognition surfaced on their eyes and a sincere smile drew up on their faces.

 

“So I hear that some of you guys are familiar with 2pm?” The emcee asked the group.

 

“Yes. Doojoon hyung and I were once in the same company as 2pm.” It was the guy named Kikwang, who spoke.

 

“Ah I remember Doojoon-sshi. He was with 2PM during the past season. Too bad he’s not here at the moment because of a conflict of schedule. Though, I’m glad he officially debuted with you guys.”

 

“He’s also our leader. He’ll be coming later on the show.” Hyunseung, one of the main dancers, added.

 

“Okay. To start off the program, one on each group will be paired to the other. Since 2pm is seven, one pair would be in the same group. It would B2st who will choose their partner. Whoever is left would be paired together.” Some of the members started to move but the emcee interrupted them. ”But before choosing your partner, as tradition on our show, let us see what each one could brag about themselves.”

 

“B2ST should start first.”

 

Hyunseung and Kikwang performed a hiphop routine. It was a great piece and showed their abilities as a dancer. During the performance, some of the members in the other group grabbed a placard from one of the staff and started waving it like an avid fan, causing laughter from everyone.

 

Yoseob sang together with Dongwoon, the maknae of the group. They sang a sample of their title song: Bad Girl.

 

Lastly, Junhyung, the group’s main rapper showed his skills. Taecyeon almost joined in, but instead jokingly acted like a fan.

 

“WOW! THAT WAS AWESOME! DAEBAK! Now 2PM will take over and show how beastly they are!” B2st laughed when they heard their group name being used as a description to the other group.

 

Chansung and Taecyon paired up and sang a song by Untouchable.

 

After them was Junho and Wooyoung who performed a solo routine. They showed some acrobatic moves and b-boy moves as well. Everyone was cheering wild.

 

Junsu also showed his best ability. The grouchy mood he always showed to Jisoo was nowhere to be found. His expression was pleasant, as if he had always been welcoming.

 

He performed ‘This song’ by 2AM. This caused a joke among the participants, about how fitting he was if he joined 2AM.

 

Jisoo was the last to perform. Before she went on to her performance, MC Bom interviewed her.

 

“Jisoo-sshi, I heard that you prepared something special for the show”

 

“Yes I did.” She smiled shyly.

 

“Will you tell us about it?”

 

“I think it would be better if I just show you.”

 

“Okay then. Guys, let’s see what the 2pm’s maknae has prepared for us shall we?”

 

Jisoo took the center of the space given. It was a little hard to walk normally without letting her instincts to lessen the pain by limping. was closed hard but not alarmingly odd. She had her head down low and waited for the music to start. She drew up a big breath to center herself and meditate to try to forget about the pain of her injury. Some of the gossiping staff looked uninterested. All the unpleasant thoughts she was having, she pushed them all aside. She tried to focus on the matter at hand and started to surrender to the music.

 

~Caitlin Jason – Trey Songz~

 

‘I can’t stop missing you~’ The music played and she danced.

 

Jisoo started with a smooth glide making an imaginary circle with her feet.

 

The maknae the 2pm members knew as passive and weak changed into a man just like how it was according to the lyrics of the song.

 

At the second part of the song, Soeun emerged from behind the unsuspecting members. The emcee together with all the people present were surprised by the surprise guest.

 

An ‘O’ expression was on MC Bom’s face as the mystery intruder approached Jisoo and danced in sync with him. As if they were in a love-hate relationship, they moved effortless. Soeun moved her body with grace and made a body wave which Jisoo replied by snaking her right arm to press Soeun closer to her. The crowd went wild. The female dancer let the idol’s arm linger for a moment before pushing it away.

 

Jisoo followed her, almost touching her partner but at the last moment she retreated. Her hand was reaching for her but she can’t seem to hold her.

 

The dance showed technicalities as well as interpretation. The maknae conversed through the dance and Soeun replied in the same way. Everyone was in awe.

 

Dancing for Jisoo at that moment felt like her exams. It was freeing. It made her want to give her best.

 

When the song was coming to its end, she presented a smooth flip sideways and approaching Soeun with another smooth glide. Jisoo caught her partner’s hand and pulled her close. Soeun turned her back to Jisoo and ended up being hugged with her back pressed to the rookie.

 

Jaws dropped in shock. No one usually dared to dance with a woman when it comes to male idols. Fans usually hated it. Luckily for Jisoo, she was currently one of the hated idols. She might be hated but she showed everyone that she deserved to be recognized. Sooner or later, they just have to accept that fact.

 

Both dancers were heaving in exhaustion. Jisoo had it worse because she was trying to control her emotions. After realizing that the song was already finished, that was when the pain kicked in. And it was crippling.

 

B2ST members were wide-eyed and howled in appreciation.

 

“DAEBAK!” Kikwang commented.

 

“NOW THAT’S WHAT I MEAN BEASTLY! As you guys have said, looks can be deceiving.” Bom looked at Jisoo with a new perspective. He really thought the little guy was nothing more than an image. In the end, he was wrong. Dead Wrong. “Did everyone enjoy the performance?”

 

“NEH!” The audience screamed like fan girls.

 

It made Jisoo smile shyly and blush.

 

Bom stopped Jisoo’s partner from going. “Miss please stay we have a few questions to ask.”

 

“Are you Jisoo’s girl?” Without wasting any breath Wooyoung asked. The silent demeanour he had off camera vanished and the cheery personality he was known for remained.

 

“Why do you have to be so straightforward? You’re ruining the fun!” Taecyon poked his head.

 

Jisoo’s partner laughed. “I’m not. I’m just his noona”

 

“Noona? That’s a little suspicious.” Dongwoon commented. Jisoo groaned as she realized where it was headed.

 

“Are you into older women maknae?” Jisoo’s co-members couldn’t help themselves but join the fun.

 

“No! She’s really just my noona” Jisoo defended herself.

 

“Noona?” Everyone in both groups looked unconvinced.

 

“So Miss…” MC Bom started to speak.

 

“Soeun” she filled in.

 

“Miss Soeun, what is your relation to 2pm’s maknae?”

 

“I’m a girlfriend of his friend” Soeun replied calmly.

 

“She really is my hyung’s girlfriend.” Jisoo wanted the agonizing interview about his friend’s girlfriend to end.

 

“Does his hyung know? Won’t he get jealous?” Kikwang teased some more.

 

The maknae was scandalized. “Of course he knows! He would have my neck if he doesn’t. I personally asked permission.”

 

“Aren’t you a little defensive Jisoo?” Chansung looked at her with a devious grin on his face.

 

“My boyfriend does know. He called me a few days ago and told me to help his friend. At first, I didn’t know he has an idol friend. I didn’t recognize him when I saw him.” Soeun clarified.

 

“How did he change?” 2PM looked interested.

 

“It was because of his appearance that made him unrecognizable. He usually had a messy hair and that already made it hard for me to recognize him ” Jisoo smiled at Soeun. It was a safe answer that would not create nor stir any scandal.

 

“Jisoo any words for your hyung who did you a favour? Send a video message right now.” MC Bom suggested.

 

Even without putting any strain on the injury, it still hurt. It was amazing that she could still smile and pretend that nothing was wrong with her. Though, she was beginning to show signs that something was amiss. Her skin was feeling a little bit clammy.

 

“Well… uh hyung thanks for asking noona for me. I promise I’ll keep her out of other people’s reach” This earned a laugh from the audience and the cast as well.

 

“So thank you Miss Soeun. We hope when you meet your boyfriend, he won’t get jealous. Bye”

 

Soeun waved back and made her exit. Jisoo was a little bit sad to see her go. She knew that Soeun wouldn’t stay long since she had a busy day ahead of her.

 

“Now that’s over. Let us start with the pairings.”

 

All 7 members of 2PM were lined in a straight line. The remaining 5 members of B2ST stood behind.

 

“B2ST members stand behind your chosen partner. Remember those who will not be chosen will be paired up with the remaining member in the same group.” MC Bom reminded everyone.

 

As a joke, he joined in. He stood behind Junho and gave the go-signal.

 

Junho jumped when he thought he was chosen. The moment he saw who was behind him, his heart sank and playfully pushed the emcee away from him. Everyone laughed at the disappointed expression on the member’s face.

 

After the selection, Junho ended up being paired with Junsu.

 

Taecyon got paired up with Junhyung.

 

Chansung joined Dongwoon, B2ST’s maknae.

 

Nichkhun ended up with Hyunseung.

 

Wooyoung became Kikwang’s partner.

 

Jisoo got chosen by Yoseob. Both of them shook hands and formally introduced themselves to each other.

 

“Are you okay? You look a little pale.” Jisoo didn’t expect for her partner to notice anything. It was also not the only thing wrong with her. She was also sweating despite the cold weather.

 

“Don’t worry sunbae. I’m okay, just nervous. It’s my first time in a show other than music programs.” She coolly replied.

 

“Hahaha I know the feeling. It will pass. You’ll get used to the feeling.” Yoseob smiled and whispered something to Jisoo’s ear. ”To tell you the truth, I’m still nervous as hell even if I don’t show it.”

 

This caused Jisoo to laugh but stopped herself immediately. So much as laughing was making her ankle hurt like hell.

 

Games and challenges were set in the program. Unfortunately for Jisoo, it required physical effort. She was grateful when the PD called a break.

 

Seizing the opportunity to be alone, she went to the nearest restroom. Every step was getting harder and harder for her not to acknowledge the pain. Luckily, the restroom wasn’t that far and it was empty.

 

As soon as she stepped inside, her legs could no longer support her. Her legs collapsed as if it was a twig broken in half. Jisoo leaned her body on the wall beside the door.

 

She let out a groan. Beads of sweat broke rolled down from her temple. “Why do you have to fail me now?” she was talking to her body as if it was a separate part of her.

 

The maknae was too busy concentrating on the pain of her injury when someone came into the room unexpectedly.

 

“He was actually better than the ru-” The person from the other side of the door didn’t notice Jisoo until he almost stepped on him.

 

“Oh Jisoo why are you on the floor?” Yoseob asked innocently. He was talking to Kikwang when he saw Jisoo sitting on the floor.

 

“I just sli -hmp” Jisoo tried to stand on her own but her body suffered too much from enduring the pain. She was too tired and ended up sitting on the floor once again. Her hand reached for her injured ankle and massaged the muscles around it to alleviate the pain. She still had a pleasant expression even though the pain was killing her.

 

“It looks like you aren’t” Kikwang told the obvious. He and Yoseob noticed where Jisoo’s hand was directed.

 

Yoseob reached out to Jisoo’s pants and rolled it up. Jisoo tried to protest but the other member, Kikwang swatted her hand away. “Just let him look” They also took off her shoe and sock.

 

The ankle was reddish and clearly swollen. Anyone would have been whining in pain with that same injury except that Jisoo was different. She was used to enduring pain no matter what kind.

 

“That is pretty banged up.” Yoseob commented.

 

“It’s fine.” Jisoo insisted.

 

“No it’s not. Don’t tell us you’re going back to the show with that injury?” Kikwang looked at her, big-eyed.

 

“Sure. Why not?” The maknae had an innocent look etched on her face. She wanted to please her co-members so badly that she was willingly to endure the pain.

 

“Because” Kikwang pressed one finger on the ankle and Jisoo stiffened. “It hurts based on your expression right now and you could barely stand from what we’ve seen earlier.”

 

“Point taken.”

 

Out of curiosity, Yoseob couldn’t help himself but ask, “Were you already injured when we were on set?”

 

She didn’t want to admit but she did. “Yes.”

 

“Since when?” he asked.

 

Jisoo looked away and avoided looking at them.

 

“Since when?” Yoseob poked her ankle. She stiffened as she felt the pain.

 

“The beginning.”

 

“You mean you danced with that kind of injury?! Do you want to end your career?!” Kikwang had both his hands on the side of his face. He looked like a fish with his eyes wide open including his mouth.

 

“It’s not life-threatening sunbae” She reasoned out. It was no use to make Jisoo admit her fault especially when she didn’t see the wrong in it.

 

The three idols were silent for a moment before Yoseob spoke up. “I guess we should call someone for help and inform the PD”

 

Kikwang and Yoseob helped the injured idol with her arms on both their shoulders. One of the staff on the program was passing and they called his attention. The staff immediately sent out the word and 2pm’s manager came rushing. Other staff members of the program were not far behind the manager when he came.

 

“Jisoo are you okay?” There was concern in his voice and took the maknae from the two B2ST members.

 

One of the staff who came brought a chair and let the injured idol sit on it. Minjae, the manager set him down slowly.

 

“I’m alright hyung. Just a little-”

 

Minjae looked at her straight in the eye and cut her off. “If you’re gonna tell me that’s a little injury I will whack your head.”

 

Jisoo immediately pressed shut and smiled sheepishly.

 

“Are you human?” It was Kikwang, one of the idols she just met who asked. It made the maknae laugh. Of course she was human; a woman but definitely human.

 

“Of course I am. Why wouldn’t I be?” A smile formed halfway when one of the staff prodded her ankle. Her face hardened when she felt pain.

 

“It’s because I haven’t seen anyone who can still smile with that injury.” He wittingly replied.

 

She heard the man who checked her ankle whispered to her manager that she needed medical treatment.

 

“I’ve experienced worse.” It was the same lie she told Yoosu’s girlfriend. She knew that Yoosu already heard of her injury through his girlfriend. Calling them after the examination was priority number one. Having her friends get worried was not the best idea. They might do something stupid which might cause her identity to be exposed.

 

“Yeah, right” No one believed her.

 

“Alright let’s get you to a nearby hospital” With the help of her manager, she was able to stand but she had lean on him.

 

“What about the show?” She was still worried about how her absence will affect the show.

 

“You’re still thinking about the show? Don’t worry it’s all been taken care of. Doojoon-sshi from B2ST just came a few minutes ago. He can fill in for you” Minjae informed the maknae. “And you two” Her manager looked at Yoseob and Kikwang. “Go back.”

 

Both members were reluctant. They were concerned about the injured idol.

 

“Sunbaes you should go back. It would be bad if the show gets delayed.”

 

“Okay then. See you around Jisoo” Yoseob gave her a smile in which she returned.

 

“Bye” They nodded and left Jisoo with Minjae.

 

Her manager called JYP before heading out to a nearby hospital.

 

Jisoo ended up having a semi-cast on her ankle to avoid making the injury worse. The idol was compliant in whatever the doctor ordered her and her manager was there throughout the whole process. The doctor told her and the manager that it would take at least a week before they could take the cast of the injury. Even after removing the cast, she still had to take it easy with her ankle. It meant that she wasn’t allowed to do any strenuous activities. Her heart sank at the information but meekly obeyed. In the first place it was her fault.

 

The show recording was already finished when she got out of the hospital. The sun had set when she came back to the dorms and she knew the other members were back in the main dorm.

 

Minjae opened the door of the van and gave the crutches to her. She had to use them if she wanted to walk on her own. Her hands reluctantly reached out for them and walked with the help of her manager.

 

She went inside her room to rest for awhile. Minjae made sure she was alright before going back to the main dorm.

 

“I’m sorry hyung for trouble I’ve caused.”

 

“It’s okay. I know what you did was stupid but you had your reasons.” He understood that the maknae wanted to prove he was good enough to be in the group. He couldn’t blame the guy for trying. He had seen what the other members were doing to the maknae. It wasn’t pleasant but not enough to be alarming. The manager believed Jisoo could survive.

 

Jisoo nodded quietly.

 

“Maknae, go to the main dorm for dinner okay?”

 

“I will hyung” Jisoo’s cheery smile was up again. Minjae sometimes wondered if there would be a day the rookie would lose the cheery personality he has. He hoped that day would never come.

 

She rested her head on the couch and stared at the blank ceiling. “I screwed up big time, didn’t I?” She asked herself.

 

It was 7 o’clock in the evening when she decided to head to the main dorm. The group’s manager was expecting her to eat with the rest.

 

With a sigh, she grabbed her crutches and went to the main dorm. It was uncomfortable not to walk normally, especially having to use crutches that made feel useless than she already has.

 

She entered the main dorm since it was unlocked. She was already a few steps away from the living room when she heard one of the members say,

 

“Chansung that was nice. He won’t be bothering us for some time.” Taecyon playfully punch Chansung on the arm. Chansung smiled but didn’t spoke a word.

 

Jisoo stopped behind the wall that hid her from the members.

 

“You all saw how incapable the guy is.” Laughter broke from Junsu.

 

“I never thought you had it in you. A simple physical shove here and there was good, but yours was better.” Wooyoung complimented.

 

“I wished I recorded the whole thing” Junho high-fived Junsu.

 

Nichkhun was smiling, enjoying their conversation.

 

Jisoo heard them. The guys planned the injury. They relished at her pain. She was an insignificant member.

 

A tear almost escaped her eye but she shoved the sadness she felt deep inside her. It was no time for emotional outburst. They hurt her intentionally but she won’t yield. She can’t afford to lose.

 

They were still laughing when she came into view. The laughter died as soon as they saw Jisoo. The maknae didn’t bother to look at them. In fact, she was too furious to even think about them. She may not look as mad as really was but as they said during the recording, ’Looks can be Deceiving’.

 

“Good evening Minjae hyung” She greeted pleasantly the group’s manager and tried to help.

 

“You just sit Jisoo. I got this. The caretaker already prepared the food.”

 

Food started filling the table and Minjae called the others for dinner. Jisoo was still mad even though she pretended not to. She ate quietly than usual but no one bothered to notice.

 

While eating, the group’s manager asked Jisoo how she was injured.

 

“I slipped during the rehearsal.” she simply said and the manager didn’t ask anymore.

 

From the corner of her eyes, she could see the occasional snickers from the other members. Their manager looked puzzled by the strange behaviour but didn’t ask.

 

Jisoo thought her night wouldn’t be any worse that it already was, until the Taecyon and Nichkhun spoke in English.

 

“When do you think the punk will break?” Nickhun asked lightly as if it was the normal thing to ask.

 

“I hope soon. I can’t believe JYP gave him his own room while we’re all cramp here inside the stuffy dorm.” Taecyon stabbed his meal while looking at Jisoo who they thought couldn’t understand a single word they were saying.

 

They underestimated the rookie.

 

“Chansung should have broken his leg.” Taecyon grumbled.

 

“That would cause a scandal.” The Thai prince pointed out. Their disdain for the new member blurred their morals on right and wrong. They were hurt by losing a family they fear would not be coming back.

 

She heard every word they uttered in English. It made her blood boil and cool at the same time. To hear someone speaking ill of her was too much than she had anticipated.

 

Without another second to spare she immediately stood up from her seat, leaning on the chair she sat on. “I’ve had enough. Thank you hyung for the meal. I’ll go back to my room.” She wore the most neutral expression she could muster. “Taecyon sunbae… Nichkhun sunbae” She smiled politely but there was something in her eyes that spoke differently.  

 

This time she spoke in English. “You should be careful where you speak. Next time I’ll watch out for my back. Thanks for the warning.” Both Taecyon and Nichkhun’s face went white as sheet.

 

The table went quiet and watched the maknae leave the table with his crutches. No one made a move until they heard the door close shut.

 

“Hyung? What did you talk about?” Chansung hesitantly asked.

 

Nichkhun took a moment before guiltily looking at the ex-maknae. His lips trembled. “We spoke about you should have broken his leg”

 

“.” Junsu swore.

 

Minjae looked at everyone sitting around the table with seriousness marked on his eyes. “You guys forgot that he’s fluent in multiple languages. I’m not surprised that he’s fluent in English. I don’t know what you guys are planning but I assure you that if something happens to Jisoo and you guys are connected to it, I won’t hesitate to inform JYP.”

 

Everyone took the warning seriously.

 

That night, no one slept soundly. Out of everyone, Chansung was most disturbed.

 

Chansung was nagged by his conscience. Minjae hyung asked Jisoo in front of all the members how he got the injury and yet he lied that it was his fault. Jisoo said he injured himself. The rookie didn’t blame anyone even when he knew who caused it.

 

Honestly, Chansung didn’t know that the little prank of his would cause an injury. It was never his intention. He just wanted to scare the newbie. He hated the guy for entering their lives but his tactics normally falls on petty pranks.

 

When they were eating, he saw the anger on the maknae’s eyes. It was the first true emotion he saw from Jisoo’s eyes. He wasn’t sure if anyone noticed it besides him.

 

It was 3 in the morning and Chasung was still wide awake. He thought a jog might be a good idea to get his mind off things.

 

When he was out of the dorm, his eyes wandered on Jisoo’s room. His hands reached out for the door knob absently and before he realized what he was doing, he was already inside the unit.

 

An inviting aroma of spice filled his senses. He followed the aroma and saw Jisoo struggling back and forth, cooking curry.

 

The rookie did not notice Chansung entering. She had been busy juggling between packing and balancing that she never heard the front door open.

 

Chansung didn’t know how to react when he saw a couple of containers filled with food. It surprised him that the maknae was cooking so early in the morning. It didn’t take him long before he could piece it all together. It dawned on him that it was most likely Jisoo brought the food. No one could have done it. Security was tight and neighbours rarely mingle with them. It took him long enough because he didn’t expect it to be Jisoo.

 

It was Park Jisoo who made all those food for them.

 

A lump formed on his throat. Guilt had never felt this heavy. All along, he and the rest of the members thought Jisoo had never been any use to the group. They haven’t realized that Jisoo was fully aware of his shortcomings and thought of some way to fill it somehow.

 

Cooking may not be the most helpful for the group but Chansung was touched. He realized his mistake. He and the others were too blinded by their pain that they didn’t see how hard the new member was trying to support the group. In his own little way, he tried to make the burden not as heavy it was.

 

This time, he would try to correct that mistake.

 

“maknae?” Chansung called that came out of more like a whisper.

 

Jisoo was startled by the voice and almost threw the food she was preparing in midair. Her body moved in reflex and turned towards the direction of the voice. She never expected to see Chansung standing just a few feet away from where she was, especially by the way things went the previous day.

 

“Su-sunbae” her voice was shaky. She realized that she was caught and clumsily tried to cover it up. It was too late for her to do so. Chansung already knew what it meant. “What are you doing here?”

 

Chansung ignored his question and proceeded with his. “Why? We were horrible to you.”

 

The maknae was silent until she finished packing the remaining food.

 

“At first, it was never my intention to cook food for ten people. I was distracted at that time. It was supposed to be a one-time thing.” Jisoo limped towards the nearest seat before continuing. “But then, I saw everyone’s expression when they ate the food that I cooked. You were all happy and content. You even said that it was the best pasta you have ever tasted.” Jisoo smiled at the memory. She was proud she managed to make them smile. “Looking at everyone’s expression warmed my heart. I know it’s ridiculous but it didn’t seem to matter that you hate me. Looking at everyone’s expression made me feel like I’ve accomplished something. That was when I decided to cook for everyone regularly. I wanted to see those expressions again and it became a way to support the group. I know I’m not doing a lot. But at least, there was something I could do to give everyone strength even if it was this small.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Chansung stared directly at Jisoo’s eyes. He felt terrible about everything he did. “I’m sorry for injury. No. I mean… I’m sorry for everything I’ve done. I was harsh. WE were harsh. I didn’t mean to hurt your ankle. I- ”

 

“Sunbae” Jisoo called softly. Chansung stopped upon realizing he was blabbing. It usually happens when he’s nervous. “I’m glad.” The maknae curved upward.

 

“Glad?” The older one couldn’t help but raise a brow in his confusion.

 

Jisoo nodded. “You gave me a chance.” A sincere smile rose on Jisoo’s face. Before, Chansung may have been pissed by that very smile. It was different now that he understood Jisoo a little bit.

 

And as simple as that, there was something that changed between them.

 

He, too, couldn’t stop himself from smiling back.

 

Chansung helped Jisoo clean up the kitchen since it was his fault that the younger idol has a cast on his leg. Talking normally was still awkward but at least it was a start.

 

Jisoo let him carry the food and set it up in front of the main dorm. She followed behind with her crutches on either side of her arms.

 

“Sunbae, could you please keep what you know a secret? I’m afraid if they knew, they’ll throw the food I made. It’s the least I could do.” There was shy look on the maknae’s face.

 

The older one saw the logic on the younger’s reasoning and thought to use it on his advantage. “On one condition…”

 

“What?”

 

“Can you cook that pasta again? The one with the creamy white sauce? It was the bomb!” His eyes went big like a child looking at a big candy store showing the largest candy there was.

 

Jisoo laughed at Chansung’s request. He looked like an excited child when it comes to food. She guessed that the rumours were true about her hyung being a food lover.

 

Cooking wasn’t much of a hassle for her. She was even glad her co-member asked.

 

“Okay~ Thank you Chansung…hyung”

 

“Hyung?” Chansung paused and let the word sink.

 

“Uh sorry. I know I can’t call you that.” Her face went cautious. She forgot because she had gotten comfortable with Chansung.

 

“No. I was just surprised. You can call me… hyung” A shy expression sprang from the ex-maknae’s face. He turned his face away from Jisoo to hide his expression. It felt a little intimate when it came to the younger one. Chansung never regarded the maknae until that day.

 

Jisoo looked at him with a new light. She realized he was like a young child. He was energetic and when it comes to any kind of relationship, he was innocent.

 

She smiled at the thought.

 

After setting up the food at the front door, Chansung helped the rookie inside the other unit.

 

“Take a rest maknae. I’ll check on you later so better not lie to me” He told her with a stern expression on his face. Chansung almost looked like a parent worrying about his child just like Jisoo’s friends. He really felt responsible for what happened.

 

“I will” They smiled at each other before Chansung closed the door.

 

Jisoo hoped that this friendship would be a start of a good day.


 10,900 + words! 
Enjoy the update!