the beginning.

1 + 1:59 PM (revamping)

 

The Beginning.... 

 

 

"Yes!!!!" One of Sooji’s friends shouted in excitement. You can hear from the tone of his voice that he can’t wait to do something fun. It was like he was vibrating with energy like an overcharged battery. "After all the hard work this term, we can finally PARTEHH!!!"  

 

The rest of his friends joined him, his energy contagious that one can’t help but be swept along. 

 

After an agonizing month of nonstop training in preparation for a showcase for their class, the group finally were able to have a break. Tonight, she and her friends have decided to hang out to their favorite chill spot, NEON. 

 

Most of her friends have been guys out of coincidence. She could count the female ones with one hand which are about 2 to be her best friends. All of her closest friends including her are known to be part of dance crew in their University. They are all in the department of performing arts majoring in dance. Although, their history didn’t start there, they got closer together due to their passion for the art. 

 

But other than their passion, it was her brother that brought them together, introducing her to them.  

 

Sooji’s younger days have been simple and lonely. Before she met them, she was kind of a loner, contented in studying and does art in general in the comforts of the four walls of her room 

 

Her whole life revolved around her brother, herself, and nothing else. Her parents passed away early that her older brother was forced support themselves just as so that they wouldn’t be separated. Because of her brother’s sacrifice, she learned not to be a bother to him, trying her best to not increase the burden he’s already carrying. She tooit upon herself to take accreditation exams so that her brother’s hard work would be used in their living expenses instead of tuition fees.  

 

Although she was able to graduate without going to school, she lacked something most teenage students of her age havesocial skills. She was awkward and found it hard to express herself verbally unlike normal people her age. Numerous times as they grew older, her brother, Haehyun once told her that she was not like any teenager of her age. Her maturity was different. It appeared that she acted older than she should be. She could see it in her brother’s eyes that he wished that she didn’t have to grow up so fast just so they could survive on their own. 

 

Her brother studied whenever he had the financial capability to do so. He took culinary courses while trying to get as much work as he can to sustain their needs. And during his free time he do what he does best, dancing. It was through dancing that he met his juniors who became Sooji’s closest friends and from then on, Sooji blossomed. He had never been so happy than that time where Sooji began opening up to other people. It was his sincere wish for his sister to be able to be with other people. 

 

 

The whole crew were greeted with smiles by the bouncers. They didn’t have to stand in line like most people and they were always warmly received.  

 

Club Neon has always been a hotspot for university students. The owner of the club is an alumnus of Sooji’s university and close acquaintance of the group. Their close friendship with the owner allows the group to enter without paying fees.  

 

Before they got settled, one of Sooji’s friends had something in mind to make their night a little more interesting. 

 

Sooji”, Yoosu the giant and leader of the group called out to the boyish female of the crew. “Let’s play.” He said in a playful tone. Everyone can hear the mischievousness in his voice. 

 

“What? Don’t tell me you have something in mind again” Sooji raised a brow, at ease in her own skin as was dressed in her usual attire. A loose white shirt and denim jacket paired with her favourite white sneakers and denim pants completed the ensemble. She hated makeup and never thought to wear it on any occasion.  “A wager?” 

 

“You know me well”, he patted her shoulder with a grin. His hands were long, making Sooji look like a kid whenever he stands close to her.  

 

“Ooh! Another challenge to our Boy-Girl Sooji!” JaeminYoosu’s closest buddy, came joining in the fun. He held both of his friends’ shoulders excited of what possible game they were going to play.  

 

“Girls again?” Sooji sighed tiredly. It was easy to guess what the guys wanted to play. Whenever they decide to play a game at NEON it was always goal.  

 

Girls were always the challenge because of her clothing preference or lack of interest in female fashion. Because of losing a bet, she could only wear the clothes she’s comfortable with outside school. Her female friends are the ones supplying her clothes for school as it was one of the conditions she agreed upon. All her friends agreed to this condition just so they could her being at least a bit more feminine 

 

She could still remember them telling her that how it was embarrassing for them to see a girl like her looking like a guy during classes. She’s a beauty and that fact didn’t seem to matter to her which annoyed her friend and specially her brother.    

 

Let’s just say that she wasn’t ready to be one… yet. 

 

“Girls numbers” Yoosu specified gleefully, already excited at the prospect of meeting some girl.  

 

Hearing the challenge, Sooji had to stop herself from rolling her eyes. It was the same thing as the last time. “Can’t it be anything other than that?” Sooji asked, exasperated at the chosen game. 

 

“Would you rather pick most make-out sessions? ” Jaemin suggested.  

 

She glowered at the two. It was certain that those were in cahoots. Makeout sessions are worse. They knew well that she’s a girl; a straight one at that. 

 

“Numbers it is!” she eventually gave in, knowing it would a lot worse if she continued arguing with them. They would always get what they want. She didn’t mind it but it annoys her in some days like tonight. 

 

“You guys are cruel! ” Mina, the brunette and self-proclaimed playgirl pouted her lips disappointedly at Yoosu and Jaemin. She had always been known to change her boyfriend almost every other week and it didn’t faze anyone anymore. They had long accepted that she will always be like that.  

 

Mina then gave Sooji a comforting smile before giving a glare at their male friends. The other members were also at fault in the playgirl’s eyes. They didn’t even try to help out Sooji. 

 

Sooji gave another sigh and stretched a little already preparing to take on the challenge. Like the old times, she has to pretend. Be someone. JiSoo would be ‘HIS’ name tonight.  

 

She and her friends settled first on the best seats on the club, VIP section which was location on the upper deck of the club. The VIP section has multiple sets of rooms in which the walls are made of glass that could oversee the whole dance floor. Inside the rooms, leather couches were placed and sets of high stools tables were also arranged professionally. There were also curtains that were usually used whenever the occupants wanted privacy. They had access to these because Sooji’s brother happens to be best pals with the owner. 

 

“Good Luck Sooji- I mean Jisoo!” Leena, Sooji’s other female friend, cheered together with Taesun, the baby of the group and Mina.   

 

She warmed up real fast and stepped out of the VIP section but before she left, she looked backed at Jaemin and Yoosu with a smirk. “If I win, you’ll do whatever Mina and Leena asks.” 

 

“Deal!” There was no hesitation on their voices. It made her smile, confident that she’ll beat them easily. She couldn’t wait to see the looks on their faces when they lose.  

  

As she walked closer to the dance floor, she began feeling the beat on her skin. She was almost vibrating in excitement, wanting to release this pent up energy filling her body.  

 

The dance floor was crowded as usual but she was no new face in this place. Everyone knew who she was in this place. Jisoo is the king of this dance floor. Without waiting a second longer, she did what she does best. Dance. 

 

The crowd made way for her as soon as she started giving in to the music. It controlled her and let her body follow the beat with freedom. Dancing for her was easy as it was second nature. The way she dances wasn’t like a woman’s but a man’s distinct appeal. Whatever she wanted to project when she dances it becomes her personality. It was like there’s a switch in her body that changes who she is whenever she dances. 

 

Cheers can be heard from the crowd and she enjoyed the feeling. Girls were soon swarming around her which was the plan all along and gave them knowing looks of acknowledgement. It was easy but there are times that she has to be cautious. Giving too much attention might send a wrong signal. The song ended sooner than she wanted but Sooji went with the flow and ending with a one-armed handstand which made the crowd’s cheers wilder. 

 

The crowd gave her appreciative looks and girls were already slipping numbers on her pocket and whispering ‘call me’ before letting her go. They know Sooji as Jisoo and her friends well. She and her friends are close with the owner of the club, JIN. He was her brother’s sunbae in high school and he gave them some sort of privilege in his club. Plus, they perform on certain occasions which made them a popular icon in Neon. 

 

10 numbers. It was a good catch. Her friends lost another bet with her. She won again. 

 

Sooji went back to their table and gave Yoosu a victory sign. 

 

“You can never win with me” She shrugged her shoulders and a smile saying I will always win with girls. 

 

“Shut Up!” Yoosu turned his face away hiding his disappointment. It wasn’t the first time that their leader lost to Sooji but every time he would sulk at his lost. Sooji chuckled at his antics. 

 

“Jealous much? She can get 10 numbers from girls and you can’t even get one” Leena retorted.  

 

Leena is the oldest among the group. They rarely use honorifics to her since Leena disliked the reminder of being the oldest. The only one who can call her formally in the group was the Taesun and Sooji since she like doting on them like a mother. Leena studied medical techology for a year before deciding it wasn’t just her thing and transferred to majoring in dancing. Her parents were a little disappointed with her decision but they didn’t object. It wasn’t like they couldn’t afford to let her do what she wanted. Leena was what you call lucky as she comes from a rich background so changing majors didn’t matter a lot. 

 

“That’s why SOO- I mean Jisoo’s here. Come give us the numbers” The playboy of the group, Minjae already his hands waiting for the numbers. He was the male counterpart while Mina was the female version. 

 

Sooji laughed at him, used to this kind of behaviour, as her hand reached out for her pocket and gave him the pile of small pieces of paper she got from the dance floor earlier. 

 

“Using him for personal gain...” Mina shook her head in disappointment at the guys before going back to the crowd. 

 

“S-He doesn’t mind, right Noo-Hyung? The maknae of the group, Taesun answered. He was the youngest and only a sophomore. He joined their tight-knight group last but it didn’t mean that he wasn’t close to them. Being the youngest only made it easier for the male to get close to everyone. His age only made him vulnerable to coddling which he always whined about. 

 

“Aigoo! You’re too young to be involved with the games these guys are playing” Leena pinched Taesun’s adorable cheeks. 

 

“Noona!”, Taesun whined. “For goodness’ sake! I’m already 20!  

 

Seeing his childish expression, it was still a doubt if he was already 20 mentally. All members adored the youngest too much. 

 

“It doesn’t matter Leena unnie, it was fun in my part! Sooji gave Leena her signature smile. Even her unnies go weak for her smile.  

 

Leena rolled her eyes even though it was obvious she was affected by her charms. 

 

“Playing games again?”  

 

“Sunbae!” Everyone beamed when they saw Jin, the owner of the club approaching their table. 

 

“Enjoying the night?” He asked and they all nodded in agreement. 

 

“Anything new?”, he inquired cheerfully. 

 

“Nothing. It’s the usual; guys losing while our boy here, winning” Leena answered mockingly to the boys and hugging Sooji close, who was taking a sip of her favourite drink: lemon liquor. She only drinks 2 tequila shots of the stuff and drinks regular water after. Her alcohol tolerance is really bad. 

 

“Beautiful boys always get the girls” Minjae commented, sipping a long draw on his beer. 

 

Mina begged to differ, pointing her nicely manicured nail to the playboy“Not always. You guys just need to learn how to treat a woman well”  

 

“Well…since our Jisoo here…uhmm, you know…so that’s why girls like him”  

 

Jin-hyung. All I did was dance.  

 

“Jisoo honey, any girl would fall for you even if you’re just standing there” Mina jutted her chin towards the glass wall, pointing out to the girls checking Jisoo and the some other guys as well.  

 

When Sooji looked towards their direction, most of the women outside gave him a flirtatious look. It gave Sooji shivers that slowly crawled down her spine. That’s just plain wrong for her. In cases like this, pretending to be a guy isn’t as fun as she liked it to be.  

 

“Be careful with your games guys. Soo- or should I say Jisoo would receive the end of it. I know your games. It can end if someone discovers your games. Jin advised before leaving them to check on other things. 

 

Sooji and her friends could still remember the day she got caught pretending to be Jisoo. Things went bad for them. If it wasn’t for Sooji’s friends acting as human shield, she would have been hurt. Yoosu ended up with bruised face and Jaemin having to wear a sling for his right arm. Minjae never joined the fight since he cares too much about his face and Taesun was told not to interfere. Taesun’s parents would have their necks if something happened to him.  

 

 

 

With the game finished, the whole gang immersed themselves with having fun. Their energy didn’t dissipate as they continued dancing even at 2 am. The club itself was still packed with people. They even danced as a crew, this time making the crowd cheer with enthusiasm. It was a rare occasion to see them dance as a group rather than individually.  

 

Sooji danced with Leena and Mina. Girls in the club were jealous and her friends enjoyed every minute of it. They even made gestures that made their guy friends wish they were Sooji and laughed at their inside joke. 

 

Unbeknownst to the crew dancing their hearts out in the dance floor, there was a man who had been watching them intently 

 

It seemed like forever before they got tired and returned to their table and ordered a few drinks to quench their thirst. 

 

“For once Mina, can we not deal with your hung-over ex-boyfriends just this once” Yoosu growled he caught the strange man in a suit staring at them. The mysterious man looked like a mafia member. 

 

“He’s not my ex” Mina batted an eyelash on him and drank a shoot of tequila. 

 

Yo Leena, suitor? Jaemin turned to her. 

 

She looked at him with one of her brows arched. “Eew! He’s not my type to begin withToo old. I don’t go for the old men.  

 

“Let’s just ask the guy and be done with” Minjae suggested. 

 

“Then who will?” Taesun asked cutely.  

 

“Jisoo you do it” Yoosu commanded. He always does this to Sooji. 

 

“Why does sh-he have to do it? You said so yourself, you’re THE LEADER Leena emphasized. 

 

“That’s why. I can do whatever I want.”, It was a childish defence but no one could beat Yoosu’s ‘I’m the Leader’ reasons. He sticks to it no matter what happens. 

 

“What about the others?” she pointed to the rest of the guys. 

 

“Minjae’s busy with something, Taesun’s brother, who was my sunbae, would kill me if something happens to him while Jaemin- 

 

“Just stop! You don’t have to make excuses. I know you guys are just scared so you let Jisoo do everything you don’t want to do” She had her palm covering Yoosu’s face. 

 

Sooji smiled a little and assured her friend“It’s alright...No biggie” 

 

He was definitely odd to be hanging in an upbeat club. She and her friends can honestly say that he wasn’t the type to hang out in places like this ‘alone’. She carefully made her way to him and he acknowledged her presence as she went closer.  

 

“Is there anything that I can help you with?” She asked him as calm as possible. Honestly, she was a little scared. She was still a girl even though she pretends not to be. 

 

He didn’t speak. Instead, he inspected her from head to toe and then pulled something from his suit. He gave her a card and left. 

 

Sooji tilted her head a little on the side, a habit of hers ever since whenever she gets confused.  

 

“So who was that?” Jaemin asked as soon as she was only a few feet away from them. 

 

“I don’t know he just gave me this” She raised the card the stranger gave to her. Her friends’ eyes suddenly grew big. 

 

She looked at the card and had the same reaction. 

 

It says: 

 

JYP. 

 

Shape