Conflict

What it means to be Kang Seulgi

 

"I don't love you."

"You don't?" Seulgi rested her head further away. "How?" What a dumb question. Under the act she put up front, Seulgi just came alive from the dead. Irene doesn't want to tell her the truth. 

"I just don't."

Irene replied simply, no room for exaggeration. They both knew this was a real question. No point acting like she has no idea what she's talking about. 

Seulgi frowned. 

"Alright. I'll go shower." She found it hard to keep her face muscles under control. Rejection still hurts intended or not. "Oh by the way, Juhyun unnie." Seulgi sat up. Irene did the same and her arms around her, clinging onto Seulgi like a koala. "Seulgi." Irene cut her off. The warm between them heightened her senses. Irene rubbed her cheek on Seulgi's shoulder. "We're still friends right?"

"Friends? Of course. That's what we've been for the past six years." Her rare eye smile appeared. Irene broke away, still maintaining eye contact. They know what each other meant. Eyes spoke louder than words. Seulgi got off the bed. 

"So what did you want to say?" Irene placed the pillow on her lap. Seulgi walked backwards again, Deja Vu, this time to the bathroom. Seulgi's eyes darkened. "I don't love you too." Her voice turned cold, emotionless. She shouldn't have asked in the first place. 

Irene nodded, setting down a new beginning. "That's great." And the same process goes on and on. Another stack to her pile of guilt. 


---------------------------


"Juhyun stop!" Seulgi screamed in the kitchen. Wendy made some Thai styled fried rice for them to enjoy late into the night, though Irene kept pushing Seulgi's temper to explode with. Irene kept messing with the younger girl. For the hundredth time, Irene took away Seulgi plate. 

"Eat mine." Irene pushed her towards the girl, lips curving into a childish smile. 

Wendy and Yeri stared in horror, uttering disbelief under their breaths. Just what the heck was their leader doing during their meal. 

Seulgi looked offended. She crossed her arms. "Why should I eat yours!"

"I'll eat yours." Irene scoop from Seulgi's plate.

"It has your saliva!"

"I don't mind."

"I do mind!" Seulgi threw her hands in the air. 

"Juhyun unnie, are you sick?" Yeri touched her forehead out of concern. Wendy worried as well and checked around for a first aid kit. 

"What do you mean? I'm fine." Irene temporarily became the normal Bae Juhyun. As soon as Yeri nodded and diverted her attention away. Irene transformed into her kiddy self again, whining and playing with Seulgi. 

"Why are you acting like this in front of other people now?" Seulgi whispered, almost wanting to slap Irene. The leader pouted and shook her head, like their fans captured at the airport. Seulgi looked so mad she felt bad. 

Seulgi was sick to her stomach. They're acting like nothing went down hours ago. She felt pathetic, oh so pathetic. Her chest hurt so much as she showered, with Irene's words echoing at the back of her mind. How does Irene do that? To stay calm and collected. She might really puke soon if she doesn't control herself. 

"Girls don't waste food." Wendy switched the plates back to their respective owners, not forgetting to flick their foreheads. Their war ended, fortunate for Seulgi's pit. 

While washing the dishes, Seulgi grumbled over her bad day with sluggie above her head. Sluggie was a headband with a soft toy on it (Ryan of KakaoTalk). It was given by a fan that thought the character looked like Seulgi. Just as she said a mouthful of swear words, a plate dropped. Yeri caught it, saving Seulgi's life. Maknae smiled brightly, placing the plate back. It was heavy, so Seulgi's heart kind of fell along when it fell because she knew it could cost her a fortune.

The petite girl hugged her arm. "Unnie! Let's go out! I want to eat desert!" The never ending Persuasion just begun. 

A part of Seulgi feared for her wallet, knowing Yeri would make treat her like a bank. "Okay... But... Who's paying?" The main point is to ask the million dollar question. 

"You!"

Seulgi looked away. "Aish..." As expected of the think-skinned girl. Yeri hugged her arm, tighter, and all Seulgi could think of was her s, oh , Yeri has the biggest blossoms in their groups. Seulgi didn't not want to on an underage kid. 

"Get off me. " Seulgi protested, a sudden brush of Yeri's clothed excited her. The bear shuddered as more friction cause her to squirm. 

"No! Promise me you'll bring me out now!"

"Okay! Okay! I'll pay." She said miserably, rubbing her tainted arm. Yeri jumped for joy and shrieked at happy she was. 

"Damn you for those s." She muttered. Compared to hers, Yeri sure was blessed. Seulgi would stay true to her roots even though Yeri was legal to the rest of the world.

"Did you say something?" Yeri lifted her head suddenly. 

"Nope!" Seulgi waved her hand, pulling off the headband on her head. 


After the two left, Seungwan finally found an appropriate chance to discuss something she has been bothered about with Irene. Her behavior just now horrified her enough to cleanse her eyes after the scene. 

She approached the leader carefully, cautious not to scare her away. "Juhyun unnie, what's going on between you and Seulgi? I've noticed a few things, and they're not slipping by."

Irene turned the television off. Her hands went to her hair. She got anxious. "We talked."

"Well that was helpful. Tell me what happened. You being a big baby during dinner wiped almost all of my respect for you. " Wendy cringed and sat next to her on the furniture. 

"Was it that bad?" Irene asked. "Nothing happened."

"I heard you two just now." 

Irene's breath hitched. "I—" How much did Wendy know? 

"Seulgi loves you doesn't she? And you love her." Wendy turned to the older girl. "I was about to walk into the bedroom when she dropped the bomb. She asked you for a reason, Unnie." The smaller girl expressed with her whole frame. 

Irene rose. She pointed to Wendy's chest and pushed her back. "No. She clearly doesn't love me, and no, her asking me if I love her does not mean a single thing. "

"Are you even sober right now? Juhyun, she clearly loves you like you do, but you said no." Wendy grabbed Irene's finger.

"Never! We're just friends Seungwan, nothing else."

"But why? I know you in depth. You're my best friend! You've changed!" Wendy flung Irene's hand down like garbage.

"Seulgi too!" Irene forced her back. 

"Seulgi has changed..." Irene's lips trembled.  

Wendy stomped forward. "Are you kidding me? Seulgi's still the same after all these years!" 

"What do you know? She used to be so understanding, so sweet. She never complained whenever I took a can of Pringle's! She used to be that awkward little kid and accepts my touch but now she shoves me off like a stranger. Seungwan I hate myself! That's a whole lot that's changed."

"What about you? You've been sticking to her like glue! Can you care about her feelings? What was that during dinner anyway? Child's play? You're not five Juhyun!"

The elder girl shifted her body, avoiding Wendy's gaze. "What else could I do? Seulgi is such a... a... dense idiot!" 

"She's not! Don't even try to blame her when it's two women's business." Wendy declared, hands slashing down. "I can see through her. You two have been avoiding the problem far too long, it became invincible between you two. I was there, unnie, I witnessed everything Seulgi did before she confessed to you. I was even the video taker."

"You were filming us?" Irene gasped. 

"I did but I deleted the video. Seulgi kept watching over and over again, but her mood got worse every time. It wasn't worth it."

"I... She didn't even wait for me to speak! S-she ran away, Seungwan!" 

"Then go tell her how you feel!" Wendy screamed. 

"No. I can't. I've already ruined her hopes!" 

Irene recalled her recent dialogue with Seulgi. She can't possibly tell Seulgi she loves her after she shunned her away. 

"You can still mend the pain you've caused her, unnie, open your eyes! I'm sick of this. If you want it this way, fine. I'll act like this conversation never happened."

"Actually, please do." If Seulgi can move on. "It's better that way."

"I'm so speechless Bae Juhyun." 

"Sure you are." Irene scoffed, leaving to the bathroom. 

Wendy gritted her teeth, out of comebacks to fight Irene's nonsense. She slammed the front door behind her as she went outside, nose stuck, beating herself not to cry.

---------------------------


Yeri watched Seulgi closely as they rode the elevator. She had been spacing out for past few minutes and even the can of Pringle's in her hands hadn't even been open yet. The maknae poke Seulgi, but earned no reaction. She wondered what was on her mind. 

"Unnie, are you thinking about Juhyun-unnie?"

"No." Seulgi blurted out, unintentionally jerking up. 

"Are you sure?" Yeri teased. 


Seulgi groaned once she step foot into their hotel room. Wendy and Irene were having a stare down for no reason, while Yeri giddily walked behind her. It was a short walk, luckily. If Yeri wanted, she would every corner of a new area for hours. Seulgi wasn't a professional at resisting so it could've meant death. 

"Unnie." Yeri's voice toned down. She saw Irene in the distance, and she'll pretend she did not. On cue, she spoke in a low voice. It intrigued Seulgi. 

"What is it?" Seulgi whipped her head around. Irene saw them walking in, but hid behind a closet in the hallways. 

"What the—mmph!" Seulgi fell to ground with Yeri's hands on her face, lips pecking softly on hers. Irene was stunned as she watched the scene unfold right before her. 

Seulgi didn't move, opened to shout. Yeri took this as an opening and kissed her properly this time, biting on Seulgi's bottom lip. After a few seconds, Yeri pushed Seulgi away with a smile on her face. "Mission complete."

Irene made sure no one saw her tears as she slipped into the bathroom, the lump in suffocating her. 

Seulgi stepped back, biting her lips.

"Maknae. Explain this." 


Yeri pointed to the hallway. "Irene unnie is waiting for you, Seulgi Unnie. Go." She wriggled her eyebrows suggestively.

 

 

 

================

:( This chapter looks hella messy. I wanted to make everything seem unexpected :(