Distancing

What it means to be Kang Seulgi

"There's so many people!"

They all stared put of the windows inside the heavy tinted van. They've just landed in Bangkok and on their way to their hotel. They were honoured to have a sea of fans waiting for them at the airport, it touched them dearly. 

"Wendy. We're famous." Yeri said in English with slight sarcasm. Wendy knitted her lips tights at the youngster, who looked away. Without Joy, she didn't have extra protection from abuse. 

Seulgi tore her eyes off the window, mouth shaped like an O. Their fans never failed to amaze. 

"All those fangirls were calling for you, Seulgi." Irene mumbled loud enough for her to hear. They sat next to each other, the seat behind the driver were in a square, and everyone faced each other. 

"I know." Seulgi shyly said. 

"Girl crush." Wendy clasped her hands together, teasing the bear. Seulgi slapped Wendy hard on the back, which earned a pull on her ear. 

"Yes. Womanizer!" Yeri followed. The duo kept throwing embarrassing statements. Seulgi winced, looking at Wendy with watery eyes. She must've hit too hard. "I'm sorry Wan-nie" Seulgi felt guilty. 

"That hurt like a Seul!" Wendy squeezed beside her and pulled into a tight hug. Yeri cackled, laughing at how fast they can compromise. Seulgi accepted it and rubbed Wendy's back.  "I'm sorry!" She repeated. Wendy pinced her and and pulled away. "Fine."

"Nice holy abs." Wendy winked. 

"Seungwan!"

At the corner of her eye, Irene observed them with a gentle smile on her face. Kids. Seulgi bit her lip, realizing that Irene was staring at her.

Woah. At least they got a five star hotel, as expected of SM. Seulgi fell on the bed first as the others unpacked. 


Seulgi slumped onto the bed of another hotel. They've just arrived in Bangkok, blown away by the amount of fans that turned up at the airport. Many fan accounts have posted pictures of Wendy's derp face, eyes wide, shock and all. Seulgi was just laid back, like the rest of the members. This was bound to be. Them being famous, and all. 

Her shoulders were stiff. The ride on the plane took a toll on her body, she ached everywhere. Yesterday, the whole group went to a buffet for dinner, to celebrate that they'll finally have a show (Might be), and filming started yesterday. (assumed) 

They were excited, finally having a chance to show their fans their lives. It was all cheers and laughter, until their manager said that Joy couldn't go to Thailand either. Thus, they fell into sadness, even crying. Wendy and Yeri were so emotional that Joy couldn't join them and the trio hugged each other to sleep last night. Seulgi shed a few tears too, with Irene silently sobbing at the corner of the room, though didn't make it obvious. Without Joy, they wouldn't be complete. What a shame. 

"Seulgi unnie." 

"Wah!" Seulgi moved backwards on the bed. How did Yeri stay there without her knowing. 

"You were staring at me for a long time. Do you want to kiss?" Yeri held her shoulders. "No!" She moved more and ended up falling off the bed. 
"ACK!" She winced on the floor. Wendy and Irene looked at them like little kids, for the seventh time this week, Yeri has asked her that. 

"Yeri-ah, why do you want to kiss Seulgi that badly?" Irene asked, taking out her undergarments from her luggage. Seulgi gulped when she eyed a lacy bra. Irene caught her looking and blushed. 

"Who wouldn't? Seulgi's so hot." She said in English, again mocking Wendy and Irene. 

"You've been saying for the past few weeks." Irene said. She was hesitant of pointing out it didn't feel right. 

"I'll admit. I do. No homo, bro." Wendy shyly said, looking down. Irene almost glared at her. 

Seulgi was more than flustered to hear her fellow group members say that. Then they turn their heads to Irene, curious of her opinion. "Irene unnie, what about you?" Yeri pushed the topic. The oldest froze, raising her eyes. She resembled a bunny, an adorable one that Seulgi would love to replace Pringle's as her snack. 

"The !" Seulgi mumbled to herself. 

The others heard that and raised their eyebrows. Irene felt as if a knife cut through her chest when she heard Seulgi said that, unknown it was unintentional. It just sound like Seulgi was disgusted at the thought of Irene wanting to kiss her. 

"No! I wasn't saying anything." Seulgi chuckled awkwardly, hoping none of them misunderstood. Turns out, Irene did and refused to answer, resuming to unpack. 

Oh . Motheringnowhatthe ahhhhh! 

"You're so stupid, Unnie." Yeri teased softly beside her. Maknae clearly knew what was up. Wendy shook her head too, gazing at Irene pitifully. 

"You brat." Seulgi tried to strangle her. 

"Seulgi is not into older girls!"

"YAH!"


Seulgi opened her eyes, meeting with Irene's. How many times do people have to creep on her while she sleeps in one day? Seulgi gulped. The older girl laid next to her on the bed, while the others were not in a near radius. The place was like an apartment with only one bedroom that had two large beds. So Wendy might've been in the kitchen and Yeri watching TV or at the balcony. 

"Juhyun?" Seulgi called. Irene let out a soft noise, and moved herself closer. 

"I'm really sorry." She apologized. "I didn't mean to say anything but something in my mind made me swear." She explained briefly. Irene's hands retracted to her stomach, her body language changing. 

"Nevermind. I don't care anymore."

Seulgi felt herself tense up, not used to Irene being serious around her. She's been being a big whiner around her these days so this came as a sudden change. 

Them, on a bed.
Her mind went back to that might they were in Mexico. Irene said something. Something. 

"Juhyun. Do you love me?" Seulgi asked, knowing the answer. It wouldn't hurt to ask, right? 


Let's be honest, Irene loved everything about Red Velvet. Their theme, their songs, their concepts, everything in between. Until the day they reach SNSD's level, nothing in her will cease to work hard in striving the group to success. 

But damn God for the existence of Kang Seulgi. The center of her world.

What would it take to be her? You'd ask. 

Everything. You'd have to pull off being perfect effortlessly. You'd have to be y, cute and innocent. You'd have to dance, sing and play the guitar. You'd have to make lots of friends, mainly female celebrities. You'd have to make girls wet without trying. You'd have be in Red Velvet. You'd have to be the key holder to the lock in Irene's soul. You'd have to break many people's heart. 

It'd be hard to be Seulgi, don't you think? 

So Irene forgives her. It doesn't imply that Seulgi's miserable. On the contrary, it made her tremendously guilty.

Seulgi isn't wrong to guard herself, her self esteem. Time has passed, and Irene could hope she has recovered from the unfortunate confession. It was too sudden, Irene couldn't react. It was her fault, period. 

Stalking on the Seulgi had become a recent habit. Whenever the younger girl took a nap, or zone out at random times, Irene would seize the chance to look at her, take every single detail of her a permanent picture in her head. She wants her all, everything related to Kang Seulgi. She had fallen so deep.

If the world let her. 

If the world would let her. 

As in accept them. This. Love.

Irene examined Seulgi's expressions. Does she love her? 

She'd say yes

"Seulgi." 

"I don't love you." She gripped Seulgi's hand, and squeezed it. Seulgi saw through it all, and she had expected it. 

But she has to protect what they have.