I Love You

Beside Me

A/N :

italics  = thought

‘text’ = phone conversation

brown = flashback

green = something

 

 

 

Eunha was looking at the sleeping Sowon with mixed feelings, but mostly it’s filled with worry. Sowon was confined to her bed because of a cold and Eunha only has herself to blame for it.

--

“Umji? Why are you here?” Eunha asked. She’s been expecting Sowon to be the one ringing the doorbell.

“Aww, don’t look so disappointed that I am not Sowon-unnie,” Umji replied. “Don’t pout either.” Umji laughed.

Eunha pouted even more.

“Eunha-unnie, Sowon-unnie can’t pick you up today. She’s down with a cold. So, I am picking you up instead of her.”

“Huh? Cold?”

Umji nodded. “I don’t get what she’s been doing all night long. She’s been pulling a lot of all nighter lately, it isn’t even the exam season.”

A guilty feeling strucked on Eunha’s conscience, as she remembered that Sowon was accompanying her almost everynight when she’s unable to fall asleep. The conversation they had until morning. And staying out watching the stars until dawn. And on night that they didn’t spend with the stars, Sowon still stayed with her through the phone. Singing her lullaby and whatnot.

“Umji… I don’t—I better stay with her.”

Umji laughed. “I know you are going to say it. Well, it’s okay. You know where the key is. And, there’s porridge in the kitchen for her.”

Umji bid her goodbye and Eunha closed the door. She was only two steps away from the door when the doorbell rang again.

“Huh? Umji?”

“I forget to tell you. In case you are hungry, there’s some leftover food in the refrigerator, you just have to heat it again with the microwave.”

Eunha nodded.

“Wait, let me just heat the meal instead—oh, and there are some fruits too. And the medicine is on the cabinet. If anything happen, just call me. I’ll come back as soon as possible.“

Eunha nodded again.

“And, don’t get sick too—if you start to feel that you are starting to catch the flu, drink the vitamins. There are some inside the drawer on top of the referigator—“

Eunha laughed. She petted Umji’s head. “Don’t worry. You are a worrier, just like your sister.”

--

“So hot…” Sowon whimpered.

Eunha wiped bead of sweats from Sowon’s face then replaced the towel on Sowon’s forehead. She looked around the room, switched the air conditioner on, and closed off the curtains so that the sunlight wasn’t entering the room. Worried that with the air conditioner blasting out cold air, she pulled the blanket to cover Sowon’s body up to her chin, so that Sowon wouldn't feel cold.

She gazed at Sowon’s sleeping figure and stayed like that until a beeping sounds from the clock reminded her that it’s time for lunch. She decided to heat the porridge for Sowon first.

--

“Unnie, wake up. Eat your porridge, first.” Eunha gently shook Sowon’s body to wake her up.

“Uu…” Sowon whimpered.

“Sowon-unnie… please wake up,” Eunha tried again.

Sowon opened her eyes with difficulties. “Eunha…? Why are you here?” she weakly asked.

“To stay with you.”

Eunha wasn’t sure if Sowon’s red face was because of her fever or because of what she just said.

“Now, let’s eat your porridge while it’s still hot?”

Sowon was reaching for the spoon yet Eunha slapped her hands away. She looked at Eunha, a wounded expression on her face.

“I am going to feed you.” Eunha took the spoon and blown it so that the porridge wasn’t so hot.

Again, Sowon’s face was red. As Eunha continue to feed Sowon, the redder Sowon’s face become. To the point of Eunha contemplating to bring Sowon to the hospital.

“Are you okay, unnie?” Eunha placed her palm against Sowon’s forehead. “Your temperature, is it rising? You are so red, Sowon-unnie.”

“I am okay, don’t worry.” Sowon chuckled.

It was supposed to calm Eunha down, yet Eunha just got more worried when she saw Sowon’s smile. “Let’s go to the hospital?”

Sowon shook her head. “No need, if I sleep, I’ll feel better.” She patted Eunha’s arm gently. “Don’t make that expression. I am going to be fine, soon.”

Eunha smiled, but she’s sure it looked like a grimace instead because Sowon continued to pat her hand with a smile, comforting her.

--

“Unnie, drink your medicine,” Eunha woke Sowon up.

“I don’t want to. It’s bitter.”

“Are you a child? You need to drink it.”

Sowon stubbornly refused. She pulled the blanket up to her face. Eunha sighed. Her phone was ringing. Eunha picked it up.

“Yes, Eunha’s here.”

‘Unnie? How’s the situation there?’ came Umji’s voice.

“Sowon-unnie doesn’t want to drink her medicine. It’s bitter, she said,” Eunha sighed again. Eyeing the stubborn girl on the bed.

Umji was laughing through the phone.

‘Oi, sunbae. I have an idea. Want to hear it?’ SinB’s voice came.

“Your idea usually means trouble.”

‘How mean. You want her to drink the medicine or not?’

“…how sure are you about your idea?”

‘One hundred percent sure. Just hear me first.’

‘Eunha-unnie, SinB sometimes has really bright idea. Try to hear her first?’

Eunha sighed. “Fine. Spill it.”

As SinB’s idea registered on her mind, Eunha shouted to the phone. “Are you crazy?! How could I do that?!!”

SinB’s roaring laughter was making her deaf.

‘Unnie, I am sorry. SinB is… SinB.’ Umji apologetic voice resonated through her ear. ‘But, it’s worth trying maybe?’

“Not you too, Umji! Agh, I’ll close the phone!”

Huffing angrily, Eunha stormed out of the room. But, she stepped back inside soon. She watched Sowon for a bit more. She walked forth and back in front of Sowon’s bed. Torn between contemplating SinB’s idea and just throwing it straight into the dustbin. She stopped pacing when she heard Sowon’s coughing.

Sighing, Eunha walked toward Sowon’s bed, took the medicine, and pulled the blanket away from Sowon.

“Unnie, let me ask you this. Do you want to take the medicine? Do you or do you not? Like, are you really really like really sure that you wouldn’t take it?”

“It is bitter, I would drink it if it’s sweet—“

Sowon’s words were cut short when Eunha slammed her lips against Sowon’s. Mustering all of her might, Eunha transferred the medicine inside to Sowon, eventually making Sowon drank all of her medicine.

As she finished, Sowon was in a daze. Blushing and not sure what to do, Eunha shoved a glass of water at Sowon. “Dri—drink.”

Sowon’s movement was robotic when she drunk all of the water inside the glass. “Eunha, you…”

“Unnie… that was SinB and Umji’s idea…” Eunha was covering her lips with the back of her palm, red face, and looking anywhere but Sowon. When she didn’t hear any response, Eunha peeked to the side and chuckled when she found that Sowon was already asleep.

She covered Sowon’s body with her blanket, took a seat on the floor beside Sowon’s bed, and watched Sowon’s chest gone up and down as she breath. Her eyes traveled up to Sowon’s face. Looking at her lips, Eunha’s heart started to hammer like she’s been running ten laps around the school. She hid her face with her hands, a low groan escaped , blushing till her ears red, Eunha couldn’t believe what she’s just done.

“…how sure are you about your idea?”

‘One hundred percent sure. Just hear me first.’

‘Eunha-unnie, SinB sometimes has really bright idea. Try to hear her first?’

Eunha sighed. “Fine. Spill it.”

‘Just put the medicine in your mouth, then kiss her. Transfer the medicine to her while you kiss her. And, with kissing, I don’t mean just press your lips against her. What I mean is, do an open mouth kiss… you know the thing people do when they’re making out? That kind of kiss. Just don’t go overboard with it, she’s sick, you know.’

“Are you crazy?! How could I do that?!!”

“Ugh… because of that advice…” Eunha muttered to herself.

After a moment, her attention was back to Sowon. Eunha touched her lips. Our first kiss tasted bitter and she might not remember it once she’s awake. A small smile bloomed there.

--

“Uu, it’s cold…” Sowon whimpered.

Eunha looked at how Sowon’s pajamas was sticking to Sowon’s skin, drench with sweat. Eunha searched for a set of clean clothes at Sowon’s wardrobe. After she placed the clean clothes on Sowon’s bed, she’s at a lost at what she should do.

Should I wait for Umji and ask her to change unnie’s clothes? Eunha looked at Sowon, who was shivering and whimpering. No, unnie is in a pain right now. If I wait for Umji, it’s going to be too long…

Summoning all of her bravery, Eunha tried to change Sowon’s clothes. Though her hands were trembling and her face was as red as a tomato, Eunha kept her composure and resolve to do it as fast as she could. It took her thirty minutes to change Sowon’s clothes, she tried to keep her composure during it. The keyword was trying. As she couldn’t stop trembling and being extra careful not to touch what she shouldn’t touch. And trying no to see what she wasn’t supposed to see. Again, the keyword was trying. Because, she did see. And she did touch. And she’s almost died because of it.

--

Eunha exhaled her breath in relief once she’s able to finish changing Sowon’s clothes. There’s one thing that troubled her. Sowon has a thin scar along her leg up to her thigh. It looked like an old scar and it bothered her that she couldn’t remember if Sowon was involved an accident or not in the past. They were almost always together since they met and never once Sowon got hurt that badly on her leg before. If she did, Eunha was sure she’ll remember. Except, except if she got it before they met.

Eunha tried to remember, but all she could recollect was that Sowon never wore a short pant or short skirt witout using long socks or legging. Her legs were always covered. And it has been like that ever since they met. Looking at it, Eunha’s heart ache. Because, to get that kind of scar, it must have been a really painful.

“I thought I know you, but apparently… there’re still a lot of things I don’t know about you, unnie…” Eunha Sowon’s cheek with her thumb. “Just… what is it that you are keeping from me?”

--

Sowon was starting to whimper again. As if she’s in a really bad dream. Sweats and tears were trailing down her face. “…—rry… don’t—“

Eunha’s worriedly hovered around Sowon. “Is it too cold? Too hot? Where does it hurt, unnie?”

Sowon opened her eyes slowly. “Eunha…?”

“Unnie, I am here.” Eunha clasped Sowon’s hand tightly.

“You are here…”

Eunha nodded. “Yes, I am here, unnie.” Eunha wiped Sowon’s tears away.

“Stay…” Sowon smiled then she fall asleep again.

“I am not going anywhere, Sowon-unnie…” Eunha whispered softly.

--

Eunha kept on holding Sowon’s hand while she’s sleeping. “Unnie… Sowon-unnie… I am here. I am with you.” Eunha softly called Sowon’s name. Again. And again, she called for Sowon. Eunha hoped that if she called Sowon’s name, she would know that Eunha was with her inside the bad dreams that’s been tormenting her sleep.

--

Eunha heard soft voices around her. She recognized those voices.

“Aww, look at them falling asleep while holding hands, they looked so cuteee.” Umji.

“Let’s take a photo first.” SinB.

“Photo?”

“So that I could sell it to the shortie sunbae.” Evil giggles.

Annoying brat.

Shutter sound was soon appeared followed by a low squeal, probably Umji, and evil laughing, definitely SinB. And then sounds of footsteps and door closing.

Eunha opened her eyes slowly. The room was dark. She checked on Sowon’s condition and found out that the fever has gone down. Eunha exhaled in relief.

She looked around the dark room. There’s a small source of light from above. Eunha looked up and gasped. On the ceiling, there are lots of tiny little stars glowing in the dark. There’s a moon. Some clouds. And Eunha’s heart fluttered when she noticed two little things that don’t belong to the family of stars. There, among the stars stood only an inch apart from each other was a little fox and a little rabbit. Actually, now that she stood up and looked harder, there are a lot of things unrelated to stars scattered around the ceiling. Candies. Umbrella. Roller blade. Ice cream. Flowers. Mugs. Hourglass. Swings. Cakes. Guitar. Butterfly. Bus. Cats. Elephant.

Eunha’s heart was almost leaping out of her chest when Sowon called her name.

“Eunha?”

“Unnie?” Eunha’s heart was still pounding hard. “Unnie, are you feeling better?”

Sowon nodded. “Why are you here?”

“You are sick.”

Sowon smiled. “Is that so? Must be hard on you, thank you. I know I am a handful when I am delirious.”

I knew it. She doesn’t remember anything from before. “Not hard at all, unnie.” Eunha sat on Sowon’s bed. “If it is hard, it’s because I am worried.”

Sowon caressed Eunha’s hair with a smile.

“Unnie… what is that?” Eunha pointed at the ceiling.

“Glow in the dark.”

“I know that. I mean—ugh, I don’t know how to phrase it.”

Sowon laughed.

“Why are you laughing?” Eunha pouted.

“Look above,” Sowon commanded.

Eunha did as she’s told.

“Do you recognize the things glued there? Everything up there makes up a consteallation.”

Eunha turned to Sowon. “Constellation?”

Sowon nodded. “Constellations of you.” Sowon pointed above. “That’s the bus we always use,” Sowon said, “And, that’s the ice cream you love to eat. That’s the cakes we ate together. The one you made and the ones I made.” Sowon smiled. “And that one, it’s the roller blade we used for practice. The flowers are actually a substitute for the fireworks we watched. And, that’s the cats you used to feed. And—oh, why is your face looking like that? Are you okay?”

Eunha was melting into a puddle of feeling. Her knees felt like it’s made from jelly. Her palms were sweating so much. was dry and her minds were blank.

“Are you okay? Is my flu affecting you?” Sowon has started to stand up from the bed. “I believe we still has some vitamins left. Wait here, I’ll—“ yet, with a loud thud, she fall back down on the bed, cluthing her head.

It woke Eunha up from her daze. “Unnie?!”

“I am okay. Just a bit dizzy. Wait a bit, once it dissipitate—“

“No, you stay here, unnie.” Eunha pushed Sowon down. “And lie down.”

Eunha climbed on top of Sowon and held both of Sowon shoulders down. Sowon was staring at Eunha with a mixture of worry and confusion.

“Are you still dizzy?” Eunha asked softly.

Sowon smiled. “It’s okay now. What about you? Are you—”

“I am okay, unnie. Never been better,” Eunha cut Sowon’s words.

“Hn.”

“Unnie… why are you always worrying about me? Why? Even as you are in pain, you still—still worry about me… are you stupid? Being kind has its limit… don’t be like that…”

Sowon laughed.

“Don’t laugh! I am being serious.”

“I am not kind. I am selfish.”

“What are you talking about?”

“There are days where I wonder if someday the little girl I met back when I was twelve is going to feel what I feel. Wondering whether she knows that my heart belong to her.” Sowon smiled. “My days are filled with her smiles, her tears, her laugh, and her. Only her. One by one, it filled up until I realized that there’s a constellation of her being built here.” Sowon pointed at the ceiling. “And here.” She gestured at her chest.

“Unnie…”

“I am not kind. I have been selfishly falling in love with that girl. And wondering if one day she’ll ever fall for me too. And, if she wouldn’t, it’ll be okay too. As long as she’s happy.” Sowon’s eyes went wide. “Ah, please don’t cry.” She reached for Eunha tears and wiped it away.

“That wouldn’t be okay.” Eunha said through her tears. “Wouldn’t be okay at all.”

“I have always been worried, what if she found out my heart and became awkward because of it. I don’t want to lose her. So, don’t be sad. Don’t cry because of me.”

“How could that girl doesn’t fall for you? How could she, when there’s such a sweet heart fulled with warmth waiting for her, calling for her? Because, like how you are building this constellation of her, she’s—all of this time, you are always, the name she’s been calling, all this time, it’s yours.”

Eunha noticed that tears were starting to fill Sowon’s eyes.

“She should have known better… because even when she’s in a relationship with someone else, all that come to her, even when they’re together, all that she’s been thinking about was you. The one she was thinking about when the sky fall apart, the name craved inside of her, the one who will just magically appear in front of her everytime the world was thundering and breaking apart, the gentle wind that came to take care of her paper heart… it’s you. Always you.”

“What are you trying to say?”

“She loves you. All these years, she always has. But, she is so slow in realizing her own feeling. Being with you is so comfortable and just like breathing that it never crossed her mind to reevaluate her own feeling. A naughty brat was being such an a s s about it, but thanks to that, she finally realizes it.”

Eunha’s tears fall on Sowon’s face. She smiled. “I am sorry, it must have been so frustrating for you because I am so dim about my own heart. Unnie, you are more than just my best friend. You are someone I loved. I love you.”

“I… heard your words but my heart can’t register it. I should belive it but I never thought that three little words would come out from your lips. So, say it again…”

“I love you, Sowon-unnie.”

Sowon was crying and Eunha was in a panic. “I am sorry?! What—why—do I say anything wrong?”

“I love you.” was all Sowon said.

Eunha gathered the crying Sowon into her arms. “And I love you, unnie.”

--

“Well, it ends happily. Congratulation for your happy end,” SinB commented.

Umji was clapping like a seal. “FINALLY!”

“Why are you two crying? Weirdo,” SinB said. She then processed to throw a box of tissue at Eunha.

“Eunha!” Sowon pulled Eunha close to her while she caught the box of tissue with her other hand. “Oi!”

SinB clapped. “You are amazing, Sowon-sunbae. Is there anything you couldn’t do?”

“Don’t think you are off the hook by complimenting me. You are almost hurting her.”

SinB waved unchalantly. “What could you do? You are sick, remember?”

“I could do this,” Sowon said. She threw a doll at SinB. And another doll. And another. And another. It continued like that until SinB put her arms up in surrender.

“Serve you right,” Umji said.

“My honey… don’t you feel sorry for me?” SinB asked Umji using her puppy eyes. Looking like she wanted it to be effective against Umji.

“No, I don’t,” Umji replied. Proven to be ineffective.

Eunha laughed at the exchange. SinB glared at her. Eunha only sticked her tounge out at her.

“Anyway… I remember that you are using a different set of clothes this morning?” Umji asked.

“Uh… I changed it… she’s sweating a lot you see…? So, I changed it…” Eunha explained.

“Why do you look so guilty?” SinB asked, “Oh, wait… are you doing things you aren’t supposed to when she’s unconscious? Wow… what a beast~”

Red faced and looking like a kid caught with one hand inside a cookie jar, Eunha tried to refute. “No, I don’t!”

“Eunha…” Sowon said sadly.

Eunha turned to Sowon. “No, wait! It’a a misunderstanding! I didn’t do anything! I only changed your clothes… well, I did see you… uh, n—n—? And might have been accidentally touching… uh, but I swear it was an accident! I didn’t do anything weird!” Eunha pleaded. “Unnie, beliebe in me?” a slip of tounge.

Sowon laughed. Umji laughed as well. SinB was laughing until tears come from her eyes.

"You guys are annoying..." Eunha complained.

--

“Unnie…” Eunha called. She’s sitting on the floor with Sowon resting on the bed.

“Hn?”

“Your leg… um… something…”

“Ah… you saw that.”

“The scar…”

Sowon petted Eunha’s hair. “That’s ugly, right?”

Eunha got up fast. “No! I am just wondering how you get that—“ seeing that Sowon has a far away look on her eyes, Eunha tried to backtrack. “Wait, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

Sowon eyes were focusing back at her. “It’s okay. I got it when I did some experiment and it backfired. That scar was the result of that.”

“Experiment?”

Sowon smiled at her, sad and painful. “I was too young. And too sure of myself. The experiment was something that’s beyond my knowledge at that time. It failed then but after a few more experiments, it’s finally successed, with a price.”

Sowon’s expression was just too painful for Eunha, like she’s remembering something hurtful. “It’s okay. You don’t have to force yourself into telling me that. I am sorry, please don’t remember about that anymore.” Eunha cupped Sowon’s face.

Sowon smiled then, grateful and relieved. Seeing it, Eunha was sure that she’s made a right choice.

--

 

“Do you want to eat—“ her words died in when she saw the scene in front of her. With hurried steps, she approached the only other resident of the house. “What are you doing?! Do you think doing that is going to bring her back here?! Don’t be stupid!” with trembling hands, she took the knife away from the girl’s hand.

“But… she’s happy… all of us are supposed to be happy… why did that happened? It wasn’t fair…”

“Nothing fair in the world. But, it doesn’t mean you could do this!!” she threw the knife away, making sure it’s out of reach for both of them.

Tears. And more tears appeared. And tears turned to cry which turned into a wail that ended up as a broken sobs.

 

 

--

 

A/N : 。◕‿◕。✿

enjoy and thank you for reading and commenting!