I will protect you

Beside Me

A/N :

italics = thought

'italics' = phone conversation

blue = song

brown = flashback

 

 

 

 

Eunha watched Sowon practiced with other girls for their upcoming performance at the festival. Unconsciously, a smile appeared on her face. Sowon’s moves were kind of clumsy when she rode the roller blade but Eunha still couldn’t tear her eyes away from her. She should have been practicing on her own moves but, Eunha just couldn’t move from her spot. She heard Yuju was faintly called for her, but really, the world is on mute right now on Eunha’s ears.

Her smile turned into a frown once she noticed how close one of the girls was sticking close to Sowon. A little too close.

--

“Huh? Eunha?” Sowon asked.

Why am I even here? How do I suddenly glide here without realizing it?!

“Uh… unnie, hi!” Eunha waved her hand awkwardly.

“Why are you here? Shouldn’t you practice your song with Yuju?” Sowon asked again.

Eunha scratched her head. “Oh… right… I meant to do that actually.”

“Yuju is over there though?” Sowon pointed at the far end of the practice hall. To Yuju who was looking them confusedly.

“Right. I am going there.” Eunha laughed sheepishly. She was starting to glide toward Yuju until she heard snickers behind her. She stopped on her track and turned sharply to a newcomer that has been practicing with Sowon.

“What?” the newcomer asked once she caught Eunha’s glare.

“You are laughing at me!?” Eunha accused.

The girl snorted. “Yeah, I am laughing at you.”

Eunha glared.

“Don’t glare. It isn’t effective at all. You aren’t scary at all, sunbae.” The girl smirked. “And, you are here because of this, right?” the girl was moving closer to Sowon. Her hand was touching Sowon’s sleeve.

Eunha’s glare was escalating into fire. Smoke was coming out of her ears.

“Like I have said before, you are not scary at all, even if I could actually see ‘smokes’ coming out of your head.” the girl gestured at Eunha’s head. “On fire aren’t ya? You are burning with jealousy.” a small laugh escaped. “How cute.”

“Wha—what are you talking about?! No! I am not!”

The girl’s who’s just barely touching Sowon’s sleeve was moving down to hold Sowon’s hand. Eunha’s eyebrows twitched. “Unnie, come here. Don’t practice with her!” Eunha held Sowon’s other hand to pull Sowon toward her.

“Wha—“ Sowon started to say.

The girl let Sowon’s hand go. Eunha didn’t expect that so she lost her balance when Sowon’s body was slammed into her. Eunha fall on her bum. “Ow…” way to embarrass yourself. Ugh, Eunha, you dummy.

When she opened her eyes though, Eunha’s throat was suddenly so dry. It’s like she’s unable to breath. Because the first thing she saw were Sowon’s worried eyes. Sowon’s lips were moving but it fall into and out of Eunha’s ears like air. Sowon’s face was so close to her that her brain was short circuited.

“Do you need help? Are you okay? Why is your face so red? Does the fall that bad? Want to go to the hospital?” Sowon placed her hands on Eunha’s cheeks.

Sowon’s palm was cold on her cheeks. It cooled down Eunha’s fried brain. “Uh? No? I am okay… I think…” Eunha placed her hands against Sowon’s hands. She looked at how Sowon eyed her hand then took it on hers.

“Your hand is blue. It’s bruised.” Sowon said.

“It’s okay, unnie. Only a little brui—“

“Where else is hurt?” Sowon asked. She started to check Eunha’s body for other injuries.

Eunha was about to answer when she heard laughter. Annoying laughter. The girl was laughing at them.

“Oh, for hell’s sake! Umji is right, you two are hopeless. Seeing it by my own eyes is even more frustrating.” The girl was laughing with mirth. “Oh my God, so funny.”

“Shut it, SinB. Half of it is because you are teasing her,” Sowon snapped.

“Yeah, right! Wait… SinB you say? SinB who is Umji’s girlfriend?” Eunha looked wide eyed at the laughing girl.

“Yep, I am Umji’s girlfriend~” instead of Sowon, the girl, SinB answered proudly.

Eunha inhaled, exhaled. “Unnie, you are right. Umji’s girlfriend is a brat.”

Sowon nodded. “An annoying brat.” She unstrapped Eunha’s roller blade.

“Oi! I could still hear it, you know?!” SinB yelled.

“I know, that’s why I said it,” Sowon quipped. “Well, enough of these chit chat, let’s go to infirmary.”  Sowon lifted Eunha up and carried her on her arms.

“Unnie?! W—w—wait! I could walk! I could walk by myself! You don’t have to carry me like this?!” Eunha said. Her heart was leaping out of her chest.

“No can do. You are injured,” Sowon stated firmly. “Besides, you don’t usually complain when I did it in the past? Do you hate it?”

“No… i… don’t hate it…” Eunha was feeling embarrassed and shy and strangely self-conscious. “I am heavy… I think I put on weight. Your hands are going to get tired.”

“What are you talking about? You are not heavy,” Sowon said simply. “You are so light, Eunha. So, I wouldn’t feel tired.”

“And don’t forget about me! I am like only inches away from both of you. Don’t go off to your own world like that.” SinB called. “Infirmary? Oh, you are going to Umji’s place? I am going with you!”

“You, bring Eunha’s roller blade and shoes if you want to go with us.” Sowon inclined at the abandoned roller blade on the ground with her head.

“Ugh. Annoying.” SinB was grumbling, but she did as she’s told. “Oh? Yerin-sunbae?”

“Is everything okay?” Yerin asked. She was looking at the three worriedly.

“It’s okay. This clumsy sunbae was falling on her own, so we’re going to take her to the infirmary.” SinB pointed at Eunha who was pouting.

“Huh? Eunha is hurt? Are you okay?” Yuju asked from behind Yerin.

“I am okay...” Eunha answered with small voice. She wished the earth was swallowing her so she didn’t have to deal with Yerin’s worried gaze and Yuju’s concerned voice.

As if Sowon could sense her discomfort, she turned around so that both Yerin and Yuju couldn’t see her anymore. “It’s okay, don’t worry about her. We’ll resume the practice later. Is that okay, Yerin? Yuju?”

“Sure. You are with her so of course she’ll be fine,” Yerin replied calmly. “Yuju, let’s go back to practice.”

“Okay. I hope you are going to be okay soon, Eunha,” Yuju said with a tinge of sadness.

Eunha buried her face on her hands.

“Well, what are you two standing there for? We need to go to the infirmary soon, go go go!” SinB pushed Sowon from behind. “And I want to meet Umji soon!”

--

SinB received a lot of pinches on her arms from Umji once she has heard the story behind Eunha’s sore bum and bruised hand.

“Ow! Ow… ow… I am sorry…?” SinB said. Her tone was going lower with each pinch.

“You are too much.” Umji was still pinching SinB’s arms.

“It’s interesting. You know it too,” SinB whined, “They are too easy to tease.”

Umji sighed. “I know, right?”

“You are agreeing with her?” Eunha felt betrayed.

Umji laughed. “You are not scary, Eunha-unnie.”

Eunha pouted.

“Well, she’s okay. But, if you want to rest here, it’s okay too. I am going to give SinB some more punishment, so I’ll leave you two here.” Umji winked. “Use the time you are alone wisely. There’s like no one else here.”

Sowon buried her face to her hands. “My Umji… my innocent—kind—pure  Umji… is turning into a little devil… I am sorry, mother… father… I have failed you…”

“Unnie, you are exaggerating it.” Umji said simply.

Hers and SinB’s laughter could be heard even as they left the infirmary. Eunha sighed. She watched the other occupant of the infirmary. Sowon was still mumbling sorrowfully into her palms. Cute. Eunha was about to caress Sowon’s hair when they heard the infirmary door slide opened. Eunha retracted her hands fast, as if she’s caught doing something wrong. She looked at the door. It’s SinB. A smirking SinB. Eunha kind of wanted to wipe that smirk off her face. No, correction, she wanted to wipe it off with her fist.

Sowon looked up from her palms, when she noticed that it is SinB, she went back to muttering on her palms. Some words that suspiciously similar with ‘evil brat’.

SinB was walking toward them with that sly smirk. As if she knew something. And Eunha disliked it. As SinB reached the bed, she leaned down so that she’s on the same eye level with Eunha. Sowon wasn’t noticing it. Or she did but didn’t want to deal with SinB. Eunha was glaring when SinB was leaning even closer to her.

“Sunbae… just a piece of advice because you are frustrating. Both of you are frustrating actually,” SinB whispered. “Eunha-sunbae, you need to assess your own feeling toward this giraffe before she got taken away from you. Who is she for you? Think about that well, sunbae. This giraffe is one in a kind, she’s lovable. You are going to regret it your whole life if you are too late in realizing your own feeling. Who knows, someday someone is going to sweep her off her feet and that person is not—”

SinB stopped talking when the door was opened again. Umji was skipping into the room happily. “Unnies, why don’t we go on a double date? Tomorrow is Sunday. Let’s go to the amusement park.”

“That’s a good idea,” SinB was agreeing with Umji easily.

Sowon was looking like she didn’t mind it. So, Eunha nodded. “Sure.” Her minds were too full with what SinB just said. She’s unable to respond properly.

“Yay!” Umji run to hug Sowon with SinB hovered around them. She looked at Eunha, she mouthed silently ‘think about what I said’

SinB was playing with her, Eunha was sure about it. And she hated it.

--

Eunha’s mind kept on rewinding SinB’s words. She just knew she wouldn’t be able to get a proper sleep tonight. Giving up on sleeping, Eunha took her jacket and left her room. She went to same garden she’s been seeing Sowon before. She sat on the swing that they have been sitting at before. Sighing, Eunha turned her eyes to the dark sky. Counting the stars.

After she reached number one hundred, Eunha closed her eyes. She’s still not sleepy. Moment later, she felt an additional weight on the swing. Startled, she opened her eyes anxiously. Only to be greeted by a steaming hot chocolate.

“Chocolate,” Sowon simply said. “Can’t sleep?”

Eunha accepted the mug gratefully, mumbling thanks to which she got a smile as the reply. Taking a sip of the chocolate. It’s warm. Just like how her heart was filled with warmth just  by being beside Sowon.

“Unnie, why are you here?” Eunha asked.

“Because the sky is dark. And the star doesn’t shine as bright. As if the stars was bothered by some gloomy thunder.”

Eunha turned her attention back to the sky. Yes, the sky was dark. But, it’s because it’s midnight. And it wasn’t cloudy or thundering. And the stars were just as shiny as before. “It’s bright, unnie?”

Sowon smiled. “Yeah, it’s brighter right now. I wonder why.” Sowon turned to Eunha. “Maybe because you are smiling.”

Eunha’s heart was fluttering.

--

Sowon was starting to hum to some song she didn’t know. So, Eunha asked Sowon to sing it instead.

“Ey, I don’t want to. You are the one who was supposed to sing, not meee.”

“Unnie, come on. Sing it for me,” Eunha pleaded. Using her puppy eyes combined with her double chin.

Sowon was sighing. And Eunha knew that her aegyo was effective.

“Fine. But, don’t complain if you found my voice to be unbearable.”

“I won’t. I love your voice, unnie.”

Sowon smiled. “Okay.”

Eunha leaned on Sowon’s shoulder. The only voice visible to Eunha was only Sowon once the older girl has started to sing.

Even if you are lazy, don’t forget to eat

Walk don’t run

Carefully so that you wouldn’t trip on your own foot

Because someday will come the time where I couldn’t catch you

I am sorry

Because this selfish me

Love you, only you

The words Sowon sang were painful for Eunha. Her heart ache hearing it. Eunha scooted closer to Sowon. She felt Sowon was putting her arm around her.

Loving you filled me with lots of happiness

Yet it is also so painful

Eunha’s heart was torn apart and she didn’t even know why.

Though i am not there

Please smile

Because even though rain keeps on falling

It is going to be okay

I'll always stay by your side

That’s a promise under the stars

A promise, it’s echoing on Eunha’s ears.

Though it is careless

I pray for you to be the happiest person on earth

Because even if the earth stopped moving

I'll keep you safe

No matter what

Eunha felt like crying. She wanted to ask Sowon to stop singing, yet she couldn’t bring herself to talk. Not because Sowon sounded bad. But, because everything was too painful right now.

Because someday will come the time where I couldn’t catch you

Even if that happened, I’ll still watch over you

Sowon was squeezing Eunha’s hand. She turned to Eunha. Their eyes met. Sowon’s clear eyes. Eunha’s wet eyes.

You are the brightest star

I will protect you

Sowon’s clear eyes turned sad. Eunha reached for Sowon’s face. She looked like she’s crying even though no tears were falling from Sowon’s eyes.

My precious person

I am sorry

I love you

Eunha wanted to cry. She wanted to wipe Sowon’s tears, but really, no tears were wetting Sowon’s cheek. Instead, she felt Sowon was the one who’s been wiping her tears away. Eunha wasn’t only feeling like she wanted to cry, she’s actually crying. Because, Sowon’s song felt like a goodbye.

My dear

Don't cry

It's going to be okay

We will meet again

Even if it’s late

Because we love each other

Surely, we’ll meet again

Sowon was smiling at her kindly. Warmly. “Why are you crying?”

“I don’t know… unnie… I…”

Sowon chuckled. She pulled Eunha into her, hugging her closely. “You crybaby. Why are you even crying?” yet, yet Sowon’s voice was equally sad.

Unnie… unnie… I don’t want it. I don’t want your goodbye. Don’t say goodbye. As she’s crying, Eunha kept on repeating those words inside her heart.

--

“Eh? What’s wrong with your eyes?” SinB asked when they met at the ticketing booth. “Are you that happy to go with us today? I know we are that awesome that you can’t fall asleep because of it.”

Eunha groaned. SinB laughed. Umji sighed. And Sowon, she was watching them with a small smile.

“Why don’t we play rock, paper, and scissor? The loser has to buy the ticket for the amusement park?” Eunha suggested.

SinB perked up. “Are you sure? Alright, call!”

Umji sighed. Eunha smirked. Sowon just looked happy.

--

“I can’t believe I lose!” SinB was whining when she gave her card to Sowon. “Let’s do it again, the loser has to buy the winner drinks!”

“Oh honey, you are going to lose again,” Umji sighed.

“I won’t!”

“Well, at least I have warned you.”

--

“Why… do I keep on losing?” SinB grumbled.

Umji pated SinB’s back emphatically. “Those two have really good luck. They usually always come out as a winner at this sort of games.”

SinB pouted. With Eunha’s roaring laughter, they went inside the gate. Sowon only shook her head watching them. Smile was still intact on her face.

--

“Let’s ride the coaster!! Or the Viking?! Maybe we should ride—!” SinB was excitedly pointing at the rides she wanted to play.

“Calm down,” Sowon was pulling SinB before she managed to run away. “Don’t go on your own!”

Umji was laughing. “One by one, we’ll ride everything you want one by one. You are usually hyper but right now, your hyperness level is as high as a namsan tower. Well, you are looking so adorable, so it’s okay.”

SinB was calming down at that. “Oh you… my Umji is the most adorable in the world,” SinB said. Full of aegyo, nudged Umji’s sholder with her own.

Sowon sighed. Eunha was rolling her eyes. She pulled them apart. “Okay, don’t go all lovey dovey in front of us. Let’s go and play instead!”

SinB sticked her tounge out at Eunha. “You could be like us too if you give some consideration about my advice yesterday.”

Eunha stopped her movement.

“…or you already did, that’s why your eyes are like that.” SinB’s words weren’t question, it is a statement. “Good.”

Umji looked at the exchange confusedly. SinB turned to her with a small smile. “Advice about the two idiots.” SinB gestured at Eunha who was red in embarrassment and Sowon who was too absorbed in watching the parade to pay any attention at the three.

“Oh, I see.” Umji’s eyes were filled with understanding. She patted Eunha’s back comfortingly without saying anything.

--

They were making another round of rock, paper, and scissor for buying ice cream. SinB was grumbling when she bought their ice cream. Eunha was laughing in mirth at the younger girl misfortune. Sowon watched SinB and Umji’s retreating back with a smile.

“You aren’t actually using her card for buying the ticket, are you Sowon-unnie?” Eunha took a peek at Sowon.

Sowon’s small laugh was all she got as the reply.

--

“Do you want to try this caramel ice cream?” SinB asked while waving the ice cream in front of Eunha.

Eunha nodded. She leaned down to take a bite of the ice cream when SinB pushed the ice cream on her face. Eunha’s face was dripping with ice cream. A beat of silence. Before Eunha roared and started to chase SinB around. “YAH! What do you think you are doing?! Come here, I’ll give you a lesson!!”

SinB’s laughter was loud even in the crowded road.

--

SinB hid behind Umji who was following them. “If you stop chasing me, I’ll tell you something interesting.”

Eunha was still bellowing in rage. “What?!”

Eunha’s eyes followed what SinB’s pointed at. “What about Sowon-unnie?” Sowon was searching for something on her bag. Probably wet tissue for her.

“Take her to that ride,” SinB said, pointing at the ferris wheel. “Take her on that ride and kiss her.” SinB said bluntly.

Eunha, who was still huffing after she chased SinB’s around, was almost getting her breath stopped at that. “Wha—wha—what the hell are you talking about?!”

SinB came out from her hiding place, Umji’s back. “You want to kiss her, don’t you? Ferris wheel is romantic, you know?”

Eunha was opening and closing like a fish. She briefly noticed that Umji’s shoulder was shaking and she covered with her hands. Umji was probably trying to hold her laughter.

SinB smirked. “You are looking like a fish come out of the water.”

Umji was laughing. “I am sorry. But, you looked funny, Eunha-unnie.”

Eunha was torn between fuming at SinB and being embarrassed at the same time.

“Unnie, you could also talk privately with Sowon-unnie there,” Umji said once she stopped laughing. “And here she comes with tissue for you.”

“Are you okay?” Sowon was turning Eunha’s body so that they’re face to face. “Close your eyes.” Sowon softly ordered.

Eunha closed her eyes. She felt Sowon’s hand gently wiping the ice cream out of her face. “You are sweating a lot too. And we don’t even play that much yet.”

“I know. You are sweating a lot too, unnie.” Eunha wiped the sweat away from Sowon’s forehead with the sleeve of her jacket.

And they were lost in each other eyes.

“There they go, acting like an old married couple,” SinB said.

Umji snorted. “Let’s go and eat something. I am hungry.”

--

“You got sauce on you,” Umji said. She wiped the sauce on SinB’s mouth away.

SinB smiled. “Want to try this?” SinB offered her fork at Umji who was already opening .

“You try my food too,” Umji used her spoon to feed SinB.

Eunha was rolling her eyes again. Sowon was sitting beside her. She looked kind of funny actually. Sowon was looking like she’s torn between being amused or troubled over the two kids in front of them. Probably because Umji was like a baby and right now, Sowon was witnessing her baby growing up in front of her.

Eunha held Sowon’s hand under the table. She squeezed it gently. Sowon turned to her with a smile. It made Eunha’s heart warm.

“You are looking at each other with lovestruck eyes, you two should just go out and date already.” SinB commented.

Umji was slapping SinB’s arm. “Aw, you are ruining their moment.”

Both Eunha and Sowon were blushing.

--

To Eunha disbelief, SinB really brought them to the ferris wheel, saying that she wanted to ride with Umji alone.

“WHAT?” Sowon was looking pale because of it. “Yah! Why do you want to go with her alone?!”

SinB sighed. Umji laughed.

“What else, I want to do this and that with her of course,” SinB nonchalantly said.

Sowon was noticeable paler. Actually she’s so pale that Eunha was afraid Sowon was going to faint.

“Stop it. Sowon-unnie is going to die if you continue to like this,” Umji chided her girlfriend. She turned to Sowon. “Unnie, she’s just teasing you. Don’t worry about us, okay?” Umji took Sowon’s hands and hold it. “Believe in me, I wouldn’t do things that I shouldn’t do. Besides—“ Umji tiptoed to whisper. “Besides, she’s actually just a coward, the most she’s able to do was holding my hand. Don’t worry, really.”

Eunha who was standing close, heard it. She snickered. She turned to Sowon. Sowon’s face was getting some more color and not as pale as before.

“You are not lying, are you?” Sowon asked.

“No, I am not. Unnie, it’s going to be okay,” Umji reassured her older sister with a smile.

“Okay.” Sowon smiled was shaky.

Umji smiled at Sowon. “You should enjoy the ferris wheel with Eunha-unnie.” She gently placed Sowon’s hand on top of Eunha. “Eunha-unnie, this unnie of mine, please takes care of her.”

Eunha nodded.

--

“Honestly, I know I was overreacted,” Sowon said once both of them was already inside the ferris wheel.

“It’s okay. Umji is your beloved little sister, so of course you are worried about her,” Eunha said. She patted Sowon’s arm.

“I also know that SinB is going to take a really good care of Umji. Even more than I could ever do. Still, that girl is growing up too fast… my little sister whom I have been taking care of since she’s just a toddler is a woman right now. Not a little girl anymore. It’s… sad.”

Eunha held Sowon’s hand tightly. It was a relief that Sowon was smiling after a moment passed. “I am sorry, I have weighed you down—“

Eunha placed her finger against Sowon’s lips. “Don’t say that, unnie. Your pain, your burden, I want you to share it all with me. Your worries, your tears, give it all to me. I’ll keep it all. So, don’t worry.”

“Eunha…”

Eunha smiled. Their eyes met, and Eunha was moving closer to Sowon. Closer. Closer. And it’s only an inch apart between them. Eunha lower her eyes to Sowon’s lips. She moved closer.

And the cabin’s door was opened. They have arrived at the ground again. Surpised, Eunha was backing away from Sowon as if she’s been burned. She’s backing away so fast that her head almost knocked on the cabin’s glass if not for Sowon pulling her. She ended up on Sowon’s embrace. “Be careful, Eunha.”

Eunha nodded. Her heart was still leaping like crazy. As she’s being embrace by Sowon, she could hear Sowon’s heart. It was beating just as crazy as hers.

What—just what was I going to do just now?!

“Take her to that ride,” SinB said, pointing at the ferris wheel. “Take her on that ride and kiss her.” SinB said bluntly.

SinB’s words were echoing inside her head. All is because that girl…!

--

“So… did you kiss her?” SinB asked. They were lagging behind while Sowon and Umji were walking ahead of them.

“D—d—don’t be stupid!” Eunha replied.

“Ugh… coward.”

“I don’t want to hear that from you!” Eunha said, remembering that Umji has told them that all SinB could do was holding hand with Umji.

--

Eunha was trying to sleep. But, SinB’s words kept on appearing on her brain. Along with the words Sowon had sung before. Everything collided inside her mind. Sowon has said that the song didn’t mean much, but really? Eunha doubted it.

As she tossed and turned in her sleep, Sowon’s back kept on appearing. Sometimes, she thought that Sowon’s back is lonely. When she hugged Sowon, Eunha was surprised by how small Sowon’s back actually is. So small that Eunha could wrap her hands around Sowon. And her heart just went soft because of it.

Eunha tried to count the stars again to sleep yet Sowon, who’s been stubbornly kept appearing on her mind, that Sowon was sparkling brighter than any stars. Yet, that star was also looking lonely and sad though she shone so brightly.

Eunha’s heart ache. She laid back down on her bed.

“Sunbae… just a piece of advice because you are frustrating. Both of you are frustrating actually,” SinB whispered. “Eunha-sunbae, you need to assess your own feeling toward this giraffe before she got taken away from you. Who is she for you? Think about that well, sunbae. This giraffe is one in a kind, she’s lovable. You are going to regret it your whole life if you are too late in realizing your own feeling. Who knows, someday someone is going to sweep her off her feet and that person is not—”

Eunha briefly wondered if Umji wasn’t entering the room, what that sentence from SinB would become.

“Who knows, someday someone is going to sweep her off her feet and that person is not—”

“That person is not… what? Who?” Eunha mumbled. You. Who knows, someday someone is going to sweep her off her feet and that person is not you.

Eunha gasped in surprised. Why, where did those words came out?! She didn’t want—with Sowon-unnie—she didn’t—her feeling isn’t like that—then what? What is she’s thinking about?

Eunha couldn’t sleep. It has been like that the past few days perhaps weeks or is it even months? But, most of the times, Sowon would call her or talking to her and then Eunha could finally fall asleep. As her mind went back to Sowon, Eunha started to list out what Sowon had meant to her. Her memories of Sowon were replying like a movie.

--

“Do you like strawberry?”

“Are you okay?”

An unnie.

Eunha pouted when Sowon laughed at her. Sowon was still laughing when she tied her cardigan around Eunha’s waist. “Eh? Unnie? What are you doing?”

“My cardigan could be a substitute as a belly warmer, maybe. It might help lessen the pain.” Sowon smiled. “And, of course things are changing. It’s sign of us growing. But, we are still the same.” Sowon ruffled Eunha’s hair. “You are Eunha and I am Sowon. That fact will never change. Also that we’re best friends, that too, will never change, Eunha.”

A best friend.

Sowon hummed in reply.

“It hurts watching them… I guess…”

Sowon tighten her hold of Eunha’s hand. As if to say that Eunha wasn’t alone. As if to comfort her. The sadness inside her heart slowly melted away. Eunha thought that Sowon was amazing, only like this, only being with her could comfort her this much.

“Unnie,” Eunha called.

“Yeah?” Sowon replied.

“Thank you.“

“Huh? What for?”

“For everything, for being here…”

Sowon patted Eunha’s head.

“I… am… unnie, is it possible for you to be my best friend forever?” Eunha asked.

Sowon smiled. “Of course.”

A family.

“Ah, as I thought, I like the taste,” Sowon said once she has ate the cake.

Eunha, curious about how the cake actually taste, took a bite of it. “Unnie?! What’s delicious about it?! It’s tasted like charcoals… don’t eat it anymore.”

“I don’t like sweets, so it’s perfectly fine with me. And for me it’s the most delicious in the world.”

“You are lying, unnie.”

“I am not lying. You are making it for me, right? Only for me,” Sowon said, smiling widely. “That’s why, it is my number one favorite cake in the entire world.”

And her heart is filled with Sowon.

“In that case, show me your smile, Eunha,” Sowon said.

“Smile? Why? How could that be enough?”

Sowon smiled. “Because I like your smile. It’s as simple as that.”

An important—

“Ah, there it is. I wonder where it has been hiding,” Sowon said.

“Huh? What has?” Eunha asked.

“Your smile.” Sowon slightly touched Eunha’s face.

And Eunha’s heart was stopping its beat for a moment. Because, Sowon’s voice was filled with so much relief. And because of how gentle Sowon’s eyes was.

A precious—

“And I will be here, with you. Waiting with you, until all of your wounds heal.” Sowon touched Eunha’s hair. “It’s okay, I’ll always stay by your side, Eunha. So, take your time resting. Your wounds, it will definitely heal. I’ll make sure of it.”

“Even if my time has run out, even if the earth stops moving… I will keep you safe. My time… the time that has been stopped flowing couldn’t be—don’t worry though… even if it stops flowing, I’ll stay by your side… for as long as you let me… my precious little rabbit…”

--

Just like she thought about that, her phone rang.

‘Why are you still up, little rabbit?’

“Sowon-unnie… you are the one who needs to rest. You are old. I am still young.” Eunha tried to calm her heart. Because she didn’t expect Sowon to call her right now. When she tried to asses her own feeling.

‘Yah!’

Eunha laughed.

‘Go to sleep, Eunha. Just close your eyes.’

“Already did. Sleep just doesn’t come to me.”

‘Hn…’

It was silence for a moment, Eunha heard rustling sounds as if Sowon was moving around in her room. And more silence.

“Unnie?”

No response, only more rustling sounds. Eunha was concerned. She has put her phone on speaker while she took her jacket. She’s about to leave her room and go to Sowon’s place when guitar sounds were coming from her phone. Eunha’s heart was soaring out of her chest. Soon, Sowon’s soft voice filled her room.

‘I’m chasing after your flowing heart

Holding my breath and running after you

I wanna tell you these feelings

That have risen up to my chin

Make your feelings thick as you tell me

Come closer to me between these small hands

Stop right there

Fill up my sky

Draw your heart for me’

--

As Sowon was singing her lullaby, Eunha let her mind wandering around.

 

Yerin still looked at Eunha sadly. “You don’t get it, Eunha.” Yerin looked at her hand. For a moment, she looked so frail before she looked at Eunha with so much determination. Yerin closed the gap between them. “Your heart, does it beat hard when I am this close? When I hold your hand, do you feel a jolt of electricity run throughout your body? When you need to be comforted, is it my name you are calling? When you feel happy, is it me you wanted to share it with? When you eat, do you think of me?

“When you are going to sleep, the one whom you meet in your dream, is it me? Could you even answer all of that confidently that it’s me, Eunha? Be honest, Eunha. My name isn’t the first one that you will instinctively call whenever something happened, aren’t I?”

Yerin patted Eunha’s head. “Let’s break up, Eunha. My adorable princess. The one your heart is calling isn’t me. Never me. Once, maybe you used to like me. But, like and love is different.”

--

As she remembered Yerin’s words, her already confused heart was stinging in agony.

“When I hold your hand, do you feel a jolt of electricity run throughout your body? When you need to be comforted, is it my name you are calling? When you feel happy, is it me you wanted to share it with? When you eat, do you think of me?

“My name isn’t the first one that you will instinctively call whenever something happened, aren’t I?”

If it wasn’t you, then who…? Eunha felt like she already knew the answer all along. She just didn’t want to acknowledge it yet.

“Do you need help? Are you okay? Why is your face so red? Does the fall that bad? Want to go to the hospital?” Sowon placed her hands on Eunha’s cheeks.

Sowon’s palm was cold on her cheeks. It cooled down Eunha’s fried brain. “Uh? No? I am okay… I think…” Eunha placed her hands against Sowon’s hands. She looked at how Sowon eyed her hand then took it on hers.

“Your hand is blue. It’s bruised.” Sowon said.

“It’s okay, unnie. Only a little brui—“

“Where else is hurt?” Sowon asked. She started to check Eunha’s body for other injuries.

“Are you okay?”

“Say Eunha, are you okay?” Sowon’s voice stopped Eunha’s mind from rambling.

“Huh? Oh, yeah… I am okay, unnie.” Eunha tried to focus on what Sowon said.

“Ah, really? Well, if you say so,” Sowon said, “Want to eat some candy?”

“No can do, you are going to distract me,” Sowon kept on pushing Eunha to the living room. “Just stay here and rest?” Sowon pushed Eunha to the sofa. “You have been practicing hard for the upcoming skating competition. So, just rest here.” Sowon said with a small smile.

“Are you okay?” Sowon asked, “You keep on touching your stomach.”

“Ah, there it is. I wonder where it has been hiding,” Sowon said.

“Huh? What has?” Eunha asked.

“Your smile.” Sowon slightly touched Eunha’s face.

What are you talking about? You just saw her yesterday?! How do you miss someone who you see on daily basis?? But, I do miss her, it’s… strange… Eunha stared at her feet. You are weird, Jung Eunha… yeah, weird.

“Unnie, do you want me to walk you home?”

“Unnie, don’t get hurt because of me.”

“What do you mean with that, unnie? Did anyone hurt you? Tell me who is it, unnie! I’ll give them a piece of my mind—“

She turned her head to the teacher. Feeling that the pain on her stomach was growing more intense. She hates how there’s a two year gap between them. Because, if they’re born in the same year, she could be there, playing with Sowon together. Being in the same class as her.

For some reason, it hurts watching the scene.

Despite everything, Eunha felt calm and strangely a bit happy. It’s like the heavy cloud that has been following her around melted away when she’s with Sowon.

“It reminds me of you, unnie,”

“See, you should have let me watch you cook, unnie,” Eunha started to say, “That way, I could protect you.”

Eunha’s face felt hot somehow. And her stomach felt weird, the kind of feeling you have when you are on the car and said car was going downhill. That kind of feeling.

“I am just… I want to make you happy… i—unnie, what is it that you are wishing for?”

“Could you fulfill it, once you know, Eunha?”

Eunha nodded. “Anything you wished for, unnie.”

“Unnie, cheer up. You still have me okay, don’t be lonely. If that girlfriend is bad for Umji, we’ll punish her together, okay?”

Since when… or it has already been like that since the beginning? Eunha wondered. How her heart was fluttering, how it ached, everytime it’s always one name that came to Eunha.

“Be honest, Eunha. My name isn’t the first one that you will instinctively call whenever something happened, aren’t I?”

As she heard Sowon sang, without words, without realizing it, tears were filling her eyes. Her heart was throbbing and as realization dawned on her, Eunha silently wept. Unnie… Sowon-unnie… always her name… I toward her… my feeling…

‘Finally, it’s awakening, my once asleep senses

An endless heart fluttering feeling

Following the small air, following my trembling heart

I feel like I’m changing

You’re like a floating cloud

That seems like it can be caught but can’t

Seems like I can reach you but I can’t

You’re getting further away’

Sowon’s song and her own tears were mixing together as Eunha cried herself to sleep.

--

 

A/N : 。◕‿◕。

enjoy and thank you for reading and commenting~

and, psst... it's going to be ended soon~