The Brightest Star

Beside Me

A/N :

italics = thought

 

 

 

She stared at the scene in front of her unblinkingly. She tried to make sense of everything. But, she came out empty. She couldn’t get it. She wished everything was a dream. And that when she opened her eyes, things were just fine.

It should be her. Right there. But, why… why was someone else was being there instead? Why is she ...alive?

Tears, tears were coming. It fall and continue to fall like a waterfall. She did nothing to wipe it away. She slumped on the ground. All of her will to fight has left her body.

Around her, she could hear people screaming at her. But, she paid no more attention to them. She only stared at the scene in front of her.

Her body bent forward as if the gravitation has pulled her. The scene in front of her has been burnt to her eyes. She closed her eyes.

And then silence.

 

--

 

“No—no—nO—NO!!” Eunha woke up with sweat trailing down her face. She has such a frightening dream. She didn’t remember what it is about but Sowon was in it. The dream wasn’t happy at all. And Eunha was glad that she’s able to wake up. Her heart was pounding hard. was sore from screaming. And her eyes were wet with unshed tears.

Trying to calm herself down, Eunha drank a glass of water. She repeatedly chanting inside her head that whatever she’s been dreaming about, it’s just a dream. A dream. Nothing else. Dream. Something that isn’t real. Dream. Just a dream.

Now that she’s calmer, she tried to remember what her dream was about. But, only bits and pieces come to her. One that burnt on her mind, it’s a sad looking back of someone. A slump shoulder followed by a loud wail. A wail so sad, so painful, that by only hearing it tore Eunha’s heart apart as well. She wanted to comfort the wailing person, but she can’t. Every time she tried to get closer, the further the distance grown.

Eunha couldn’t remember more of her dreams. No matter how hard she tried to recall it, nothing appeared. Sighing, Eunha walked toward the window. She’s sure she wouldn’t be able to fall asleep anymore.

She aimlessly looked at the midnight sky to the house beside hers to the little garden, which has been connecting the two houses. She caught a glimpse of a shadow at the little garden. She squint her eyes to take a better look at the shadowy figure that’s been playing at the swing. It’s a familiar figure.

--

“Sowon-unnie, couldn’t sleep?” Eunha asked.

“Eunha? Come sit here,” Sowon said. She scooted over to make space for Eunha on the swing.

As Eunha sat, Sowon offered her a mug of hot chocolate. “Want some? I don’t drink it much, yet.”

Eunha took a sip of the chocolate. It’s delicious… but it's too sweet for Sowon… unnie doesn’t usually drink something sweet like this?

“Unnie, my question, you haven’t answer it.”

“Eunha… Umji got herself a little girlfriend…”

“….WHAT?”

“She’s still so young… it’s like just yesterday she’s following me around… and now she’s already nineteen years old… ugh, my baby…”

“Alright… wait… one moment… who is her girlfriend again…?”

“… a little brat named SinB… weird name… and she’s equally weird… but a brat who apparently loves Umji a lot…”

“Okay… how do you know?”

“Uh… probably I have done a little background checking on this girl and... I might or might not have been following them on their date… and … and uh… maybe I have been testing her feeling toward Umji too…”

“That sounds like more than a little background checking…” Eunha watched Sowon gradually sinking into her own hands, still lamenting about how young her Umji was.

“It’s going to be okay, Sowon-unnie… I mean, even though she’s growing up, she’s still our beloved little sister… and we are still her older sisters… that fact wouldn’t change no matter what happened…”

“I know… I am just a bit lonely about it… can’t she stay a little kid forever? Someday she’ll find someone who she loves and love her and she will leave me… argh… even just thinking about it is annoying already.”

Eunha laughed hearing it. Her Sowon-unnie is just a mama bear actually. She patted Sowon’s back in an attempt to comfort her. “Unnie, cheer up. You still have me okay, don’t be lonely. If that girlfriend is bad for Umji, we’ll punish her together, okay?”

Sowon still have a sad expression but she’s noticeably cheering up because she has a small smile on her face. “Promise me that you’ll stay with me forever, okay?”

Eunha gave her pinky finger to Sowon. “I promise, I’ll stay with you forever, unnie.”

Sowon linked their pinkies together. A huge smile bloomed on her face. Smiling happily, Eunha tried to push the swing with her legs. But, her legs are short, so in the end, Sowon was the one who’s been pushing the swing with her long long legs. Sowon leaned on Eunha’s shoulder. They were engulfed in confortable silence. Eunha was putting her arms around Sowon while the latter was laying her head on Eunha’s shoulder. A lot of effort from Sowon’s side because she had to slouch to be able to do it. Still, she looked really comfortable there.

Absentmindedly, Sowon played with the hem of Eunha’s shirt. “So many stars appear today.”

Eunha looked up at the midnight sky. “Uh huh.”

“Do you know why they are so many stars?”

“Let’s see… maybe, because the alien’s family is gathering together right there? Like Yujugirni, Yujuski, and many others. You know, Yuju’s friends… the aliens.”

Laughter was erupted from Sowon. Eunha got a smile because of it. Score! Unnie is laughing. Good!

“Nah, that could be happened. But, maybe there’re other reasons too.” Sowon put her hands on top of Eunha’s.

“Hm?”

“Maybe all of that stars are the people who has been leaving this world. They turned into stars so that they could watch over their beloved from a far.”

Eunha squeezed Sowon’s hands.

“But, only watching is kind of …sad,” Eunha said. “Not being able to touch, not being able to hear their voice. Only looking without being able to do anything is just… so sad.”

Sowon smiled. “Do you really think they wouldn’t be able to do anything, those stars?”

“What could they do, unnie?”

“They could give you strength,” Sowon replied, “My parents, though I can’t see them anymore… at least I know I could always tell them everything… and though they couldn’t embrace me like they used to do… they are always there… watching over me and Umji…”

“Either strength or madness. The stars, they could give you madness too, unnie.” Eunha was watching Sowon carefully. “The pain of losing your loved one could bring you into a spiral of despair.”

Sowon smiled. “Right… they could do that as well...” She turned toward Eunha. “I prefer to be the type of stars that could give out strength rather than despair, though.”

“I know.” Eunha caught Sowon’s eyes. I am just not sure if I could have any strength left in me. “Unnie, I am sure, if you become a star, yours are going to be sparkly and glittering and shining so bright, yet…”

“Yet?”

“Yet, I would like it, if you don’t turn into a star that soon.”

“The bunny shape star is going to be a sight to see, and it is going to be so radiant, it will outshined any other stars…” Sowon chuckled. “Still, I would prefer for you to not be a star that soon either, Eunha.”  

Eunha hooked her arms with Sowon. “We want the same thing, so… we should make sure we wouldn’t turn into it that soon. Should we link our pinkies again?”

“Okay.” Sowon linked her pinkies with Eunha to seal the promise.

--

“Anyway, what bring you here at this time of the night?” Sowon asked.

“A nightmare. I don’t remember much of the dream, but I know that it is the kind of dream I don’t ever want to be a reality.”

“Ah, I see.” Sowon pulled Eunha closer to her.

“That dream wouldn’t become reality, unnie. I am sure of it,” Eunha added with the tone of finality.

“Okay.” Sowon smiled.

“Unnie, do you have nightmare too?”

Sowon nodded. “I have.”

“What is your biggest fear, unnie?” Eunha leaned closer to Sowon.

“Me?” Sowon looked at Eunha. “Let’s see… ah, my biggest fear is not being able to do anything and because of it, I lose everything I love.”

“You wouldn’t lose anything, unnie.” Eunha took Sowon’s hand. “Yeah, you wouldn’t lose anything.”

Sowon chuckled. “Okay.” Sowon locked her gaze with Eunha. “Why don’t we talk about happy stuffs instead?”

“Like what?”

Sowon nodded. “Like, how would you like for singing in the upcoming festival at school?”

“Huh? Oh... that.”

“You like singing, don’t you?”

“I like singing but I don’t get it. I mean we are in the skating club not the choir? Why should I participate in that festival by singing? Why are we even performing dance with live singing? Couldn’t we just performing our skating skill normally??”

Sowon bopped Eunha’s nose lightly. “Don’t you remember? You are one of the voters who agree with that plan?”

“Because I thought it will be fun! Not that I want to perform the live singing… I mean, Yuju is a better choice, no? You know that she’s an amazing singer? Even the choir club wants her!”

“You are even more incredible than Yuju. I couldn’t tear my eyes away from you when you are singing.” Sowon smiled. “I love your voice, Eunha.”

Sowon sounded so sincere and Eunha found herself to be lost in Sowon’s eyes. “Sowon-unnie… I—”

--

“Unnies… I am sorry to interrupt your moment but the two of you are going to catch a cold… and don’t you have school tomorrow?” Umji’s voice resonated throughout the quiet night. “And Eunha-unnie, my sister lap is comfortable, huh?” Umji added with a smirk.

“W—wha—what do you mean—?!” Eunha stuttered when she realized that she has been sitting on Sowon’s lap. Wait a minute, since when did I even sitting here?! Holy—!? And since when did Sowon-unnie was gripping my waist, I—

“I take that as a yes,” Umji teased, “More than comfy actually… you do realize you are straddling her, aren’t you, Eunha-unnie?”

Eunha’s cheeks were turning pink. She shook her head weakly.

“Well, not that Sowon-unnie minds it,” Umji commented again.

She looked at Sowon who hasn’t been uttering any words ever since Umji came. Looking at it, Sowon was actually quite red as well. Even her ears were red. As if Sowon was just realizing their position as well, Sowon shifted on her seat but she didn’t let go of her hold on Eunha’s waist.

Realizing it, Eunha’s already pink cheeks were turning a few shades darker, she might as well dump a can of red paint on her cheeks.

“Now that I have said what I want to say, I am going back to my room. Just continue what you have been doing okay? You two are actually doing quite great.” Umji clapped her hands. “Ciao, unnies~”

“That’s what she has become since she met that SinB brat, teasing her unnie like this, ugh…” Sowon grumbled lowly.

Eunha could only hummed in response. Neither of them was moving from their spots.

“Unnie, I—“

“Eunha, actually I—“

Both were starting to talk at the same time only to be interrupted once again.

“One more thing, tomorrow isn’t holiday… just so you know…” Umji suddenly appeared again. “I mean with school and all that… yeah, bye~” with that said, Umji disappeared into the house again.

--

 

 

 

A/N : 。◕‿◕。

enjoy~ and thank you for reading and commenting~