My Dear, Don’t Cry

Beside Me

A/N :

italics  = thought

blue = song

 

 

 

Eunha watched SinB chugged down a glass of beer. Coughing. Then taking a much more moderate sip. She turned to watch Umji who was calmly sipping her beer. She still coughed a little, but otherwise better than SinB. They were in the Kim’s house, and the kids who just turned into an adult want to taste how beer was like. This is their second time they did this. The first time ended up with the two of them coughing a lot and Sowon ended the day by telling them to try at another attempt as they still has school the next day.

Looking at it, Eunha thought that this second chance wouldn’t be as bad as the first time, after all a month has passed since then.

“You two better don’t drink too much, you are going to get drunk,” Sowon warned, “And get a hangover tomorrow. You do remember that tomorrow we’re going on a training camp, don’t you?”

“That’s true. Drink more moderately,” Eunha said.

“Eyy, don’t worry, we wouldn’t get drunk,” SinB waved her hand unchalantly, “I’ll be your sunshine tomorrow, grannies. Don’t worry.”

“Well, if you say so…” Eunha said. She turned to Umji. “Can’t you come with us too? Your girlfriend is going to be too troublesome without you.”

Umji giggled. “I am not a member of the skating club. Don’t worry, I’ll tell her to behave well.” Umji poked SinB’s side. “She’ll get punished if she doesn’t.”

“Ouch… don’t worry, baby. I’ll treat them nicely,” SinB swore as she massaged her side.

Their interactions amused Eunha and judging by the small smile on Sowon’s face, it amused her too.

--

Well, that’s what SinB said before she passed out on the couch after taking her third glass of beer. Not before crying herself to sleep because Umji was taking the glass of beer away from SinB’s hold. Spouting nonsense like, ‘aww, my umji isn’t in love with me again….’

Umji was just watching her with a small laugh. “Isn’s she so cute, unnie?”

“Uh… each of their own, I guess….” Eunha replied dryly.

“Don’t be like that, unnie. I know in your eyes, Sowon-unnie is the cutest in the world. But, my baby is cute too, don’cha think?” Umji said with a glint in her eyes. Looking way too cheerful for someone who has been chugging down beer like water.

“Umji,” Eunha called.

“Yes?”

“Are you drunk?”

Umji giggled. “Unnie, you are so silly~” and she processed to twirl Eunha around. “Unnie, let’s dance.”

“You are definitely drunk…” sighing inwardly, Eunha let Umji twirled her around the living room.

--

Eunha approached Sowon who just finished carrying SinB to the guest room. Umji was making her dance for like fifteen minutes before she announced that she’s going to sleep.

“Tired?” Eunha asked.

Sowon smiled. “Nah, that kid needs to eat more. She’s too light.”

They shared a look. A smile. And their hands interwined together. They are standing so close to each other. And—

“Don’t you two want to go to sleep too?” Umji asked as she passed them while brushing her teeth. Umji calmly walked toward the bathroom. Just for her to appear again soon after. “Wait… I am sorry. Are you two going to kiss?! Holy— please continues as if I am not here!” with that said, she disappeared again inside the bathroom in hurry.

Awkard… is what Eunha going to use to describe the situation right now.

“Ah, that kid,” Sowon grumbled. “Come, let me walk you home, Eunha.”

Eunha nodded. With their hands still interwining, they walked toward her house.

--

It’s a short walk. Really short walk. As her home was directly beside Sowon’s. Eunha never hates how close their houses are to each other, but, right now, Eunha has a strong dislike for this. She wished her house was a little farther so that she could spend more time with Sowon.

“We are here,” Sowon said.

Eunha nodded.

“Go inside, I’ll wait until you are already inside,” Sowon said again.

Eunha nodded. But, she lingered there. Sowon reached for her cheek and caressed it. “Your face is already this cold. Go inside, Eunha.”

“I… want to stay with you longer, unnie.”

Sowon smiled. “In that case, shall we dance?”

“Huh?”

“You are dancing with Umji just now. Dance with me too?”

“Are you jealous?” for some reason, it excited Eunha to hear Sowon got jealous.

Sowon laughed. “So, shall we?”

Eunha nodded. And they danced under the stars. Long time ago, they have danced like this. At that time, besides the stars, rain was also accompanying them that day. No music from the sky was being played right now. Yet, their movements were still in synch. It’s like they danced into the tune only they knew. Like that, Eunha’s heart was overflowing with happiness. Eunha smiled to herself.

“Hey, you are smiling,” Sowon pointed out.

“Because you are beside me, unnie.”

“And I will stay beside you forever, Eunha. As long as you let me.”

They looked into each other eyes. “I want your forever, unnie.”

Sowon smiled. “You already own it.”

--

“Goodbye, Eunha.”

“No goodbye, but say we’ll meet again tomorrow,” Eunha said.

Sowon nodded. “We’ll meet again tomorrow.”

Eunha was still unmoving from her spot.

“Eunha?”

Eunha looked at Sowon in determination. Before Sowon was able to do anything, Eunha tiptoed and kiss Sowon’s cheek. Then she dashed into her house. Leaving Sowon standing there while holding her cheek.

Eunha peeked from the window, at Sowon who was still standing there, holding her cheeks and slowly a smile bloomed there. Eunha’s heart was still palpitating yet she felt satisfied at herself when she watched Sowon was laughing and shook her head, hand still touching her cheek.

--

 

 

Eunha was in a high spirit. They were going to go to the mountain for a little celebration before the university festival. People were saying that it’s a training camp. But, in reality they would only spend all day playing. With SinB who just yawned beside her, Eunha was watching Sowon saying goodbye to Umji. The sight was familiar and it made her smile.

“Umji, I have bought the grocery and put in inside the refrigerator. And, I have pinned a few simple recipes on the refrigerator’s door,” Sowon said.

Umji nodded.

“Oh, right. The important numbers you could call incase something happened are already put near the telephone. And don’t forget to turn off the stove after you finish using it. Keep your phone close with you, so I could call you easily. And—“

Umji took Sowon’s hand. “I get it, unnie. Don’t worry. Everything will be okay,” Umji said. “I have checked the refrigerator right after you put it inside. And, there’re like a week worth of food there,” Umji chuckled, “You are only going for three days two nights. I know where you are going. You know where I would be. I will keep my phone close with me. So, don’t worry, Sowon-unnie.”

Sowon smiled. She pulled Umji into a tight hug. “Unnie is going to miss you, my baby girl.”

Umji patted Sowon’s back. “Me too.”

Eunha laughed. “Umji, just so you know. You are actually the same. Remember when Sowon-unnie was sick and you are listing this long list of stuffs for me?”

Umji scratched her head and shrugged. “Well, it runs in the family, what could I do?”

Eunha shook her head. “Ah, seriously.”

“Umji, give me a hug too?” SinB asked cutely.

Umji laughed and opened her arms for SinB who happily bounced to her.

--

Eunha was in the middle of putting her bag on the small compartment above the bus seat. The compartment was rather high. And Eunha huffed in annoyance while struggled to reach it. Feeling a presence behind her, Eunha quickly turned around, expecting to see Sowon. Instead another familiar face greeted her.

“Let me help you, prin—no, I mean, just let me help you?” Yerin asked.

“Oh, sure,” Eunha replied.

“How are you doing?” Yerin asked again.

“Good, I am doing good, Yerin-sunbae.”

Yerin looked a bit sad. “So, I am not an unnie anymore… but, a sunbae, huh?”

Eunha wasn’t sure what she should do but she felt guilty because Yerin was looking sad. So, she blurted out. “I am sorry.”

Yerin stopped in her track. She turned to Eunha. “Come again.”

“I am sorry.”

Yerin’s face was frowning into one of confusion. “Why? Because you are calling me sunbae?”

Eunha looked straight at Yerin’s eyes. “Not that. I am sorry because you are right. The words you were saying when we broke up… all of those were true. I am just… too stupid to realize it.”

Yerin’s expression, Eunha wasn’t sure what she should make of that. Is that a smile or a grimace?

“You are not stupid. You are just slow, Eunha. And, of course I am right. I have been—well, let’s not talk about that anymore.” Yerin offered her hand at Eunha. “Could we start everything over?”

“Huh?”

“Hello, i am Jung Yerin. This is my third year in college. And I am the leader of a skating club. May I know your name?”

Eunha smiled. “Hello, I am Jung Eunha. It’s my second year. And it’s my first training camp. Please take care of me.”

Yerin smiled until her eyes turned into crecent shape. “Could we become friends, Eunha?”

Eunha nodded.

“Yerin-unnie, I brought cookies, you want some?” Yuju called from their seat in the front.

“Go, she’s calling for you.” Eunha smiled.

“Oh, do you want cookies too, Eunha? I brought a lot.” Yuju smiled widely. She waved a box fulled with cookies.

“No, Yuju. I am good. Thank you.”

Yerin smiled and left to join Yuju.

“Ah, your heart is as big as the sea,” a voice came from behind her.

“Sowon-unnie! Don’t creep behind me like that!” Eunha placed her hands on top of her heart. "You surprised me.”

Sowon laughed at her. “Well, that’s the plan.”

Eunha pouted. She huffed and sat on her seat. The back of her head was facing Sowon. She still heard Sowon’s laughter as she sat beside her.

“Ah, isn’t your heart is as big as the sea? Don’t be angry,” Sowon said.

“You are the one who’s saying that my heart is as big as the sea. I am not the one who’s declaring it.”

“But, it’s true? You and Yerin are able to become friends again. You don’t hate her, right?”

Eunha looked at her lap. “It used to hurt but it isn’t anymore. Actually, I don’t even know when it stopped hurting. But, looking at her and Yuju don’t make me feel anything anymore.”

“Or you might have never been in love with Yerin-sunbae at all,” SinB said from the seat in front of them. Her head was peeking from behind the seat. “Well, why aren’t you saying anything? I am right, aren’t i?”

“I… don’t know,” Eunha weakly said.

“Yes, you know.” SinB’s head was rising higher than before that was visible now. “You are in love with this giraffe all along. Your supposed love toward Yerin-sunbae was not love.”

SinB got a pack of snack thrown into her. “Sowon-sunbae! Don’t you feel tired throwing things at me?!” SinB looked at the pack. “Well, as a sorry from you, I will take the snack as compensation.”

Sowon sighed. “You are the one I am going to throw next.”

“You wouldn’t dare...” SinB said.

“Oh, try me. Umji isn’t here, I could do a lot of things to you,” Sowon smirked.

Gulping, SinB shrunk back to her seat. “SinB is resting right now. Don’t disturb her. Peace out!” and like that, SinB has disappeared from their sight.

Sowon sighed again. “Brat.” She turned to Eunha and petted her head. “Don’t think much about what she said.”

“No, unnie. SinB might be right about it. I… have been in love with you, that’s why I don’t—with Yerin—“

Sowon was smiling at her and continuously petting her head as if she’s assuring her that it’s okay.

But it isn’t okay. If—if you have been in love with me all along. And I just casually dating someone else… I—I have been hurting you… I am sorry… I am sorry…

Sowon poked her forehead. “Oi, what are you thinking about?”

“I am sorry, unnie—I—“ Eunha stuttered while trying to explain her feeling.

“It’s okay. It’s okay even if it is a little late. We are feeling the same things, so it’s okay. Really.”

Eunha threw herself into Sowon’s embrace.

“I love you,” Sowon whispered.

Eunha buried her face into the crook of Sowon’s neck. “I love you a whole lot, Sowon-unnie. Really really do.”

SNAP. A flashing camera. The culprit is the girl who was sitting in front of them. Well, though it’s only her hand and her cellphone visible to them.

“SinB…” Sowon sighed.

SinB’s eyes were peeking from behind her seat. “It wasn’t my fault, I swear. Umji asked me to send her any cute photo of the two of you. I am just doing her a favour. I swear it wasn’t like I want to sell it to shortie-sunbae… shiiit… forget the last part?”

Sowon took a deep sighed. Eunha giggled. SinB shrunk back to her seat.

“I want the photo... I will pay it with this chocolate.” Eunha petted SinB’s hair.

“…how cheap. I was almost dead taking it….”

“You don’t want it? Okay then, I’ll just ask Umji. And then, we’ll know whether she’s really asking you to stalk us or not.”

“I am not stalking anyone! You are there, in the open. Everyone was watching you, not only meee.”

Eunha only rose her eyebrow skeptically.

“… Fine.” SinB huffed. She took the chocolate Eunha was offering and sending the photo to Eunha’s cellphone.

Sowon was only shaking her head during the exchange.

--

 

Eunha looked at the scenery in front of her. Panting, sweating bullets, and out of breath. Yerin was just making everyone going on a hike after they arrived at the cottage. Stating that they should go and see a sunset. Amongst the groan of the students, Yerin was still smiling happily. While the scenery was indeed beautiful, her breath was lost in the wind. It's partly because of the hike but mostly, it's because of the girl in front of her.

She was watching Sowon's back and for a moment, Sowon was looking like she's became transparent. It might be the light. It's starting to get dark afterall. Still, something was wrong. Eunha reached for Sowon's back. She held the hems of Sowon's jacket.

Sowon turned to her. A wave of recognized and relief washed over Sowon's eyes. She smiled. "Eunha,"

For the second time, Eunha's breath was stolen from her.

"The sunset is beautiful, right Eunha?" Sowon asked.

"You are more beautiful than any sunsets, unnie," Eunha blurted out. Then she flushed pink when she realized what she's been saying.

Yet, when she noticed how Sowon's cheek are colored pink as well, Eunha wanted to cheer for herself.

--

The lodge they slept on was small. And, it is three person room. Eunha was rooming with Sowon and somehow SinB. Their night there was calm. Might probably because everyone were too tired after the improptu hiking. They just said good night and fall asleep.

--

Come morning, Eunha found herself to be on Sowon's side. Did i just unconsciously scoot closer to her in my sleep?

Blush a bit, Eunha kept an eye on Sowon. A smile bloomed. It dissapeared in a minute. Because an arm was suddenly draped over Sowon's chest. Eunha rose her head up and recognized that it was SinB’s, who somehow managed to drape like half of her body on top of Sowon. Kind of angry, Eunha tried to roll SinB aside.

She's succeed, SinB's body was rolling over to her own side though Eunha pulled the hem of SinB's shirt just before she hit the wall. Eunha was about to cheer when she felt herself losing balance and ended up falling on top of Sowon's stomach.

"Ugh..." was all Sowon said.

Eunha turned to look at Sowon. "I am sorry! Are you okay?!"

Sowon weakly opened her eyes. "Are you going to wake me up like that for the rest of our life?"

Eunha's eyes went big. "NO, it's a mistake. I don't mean to do that, unnie."

"Alright..."

Eunha was already standing when Sowon pulled her again. Laying on top of Sowon like that, Eunha felt a wave of nervousness sipping in. "Unnie?"

"Let's sleep more?"

With a rosy cheeks, Eunha nodded. I think I don’t mind doing it for the rest of our live. Not the waking her up by crushing her stomach but, sleeping like this with her. With such thoughts run throughout her mind, Eunha fall asleep for the second time.

--

Eunha watched Sowon slapped her hat on SinB's head gently. She smiled to herself.

"OI! Oh... Sowon-sunbae, why?" SinB was about to retaliate but stopped herself when she looked that it's Sowon.

"Are you an idiot or what? It so hot. Yet, you aren't wearing any hat. Use it," Sowon said.

SinB’s eyes went wide. "Wha-why, i don't need it!" SinB refused. "You wear it instead! You need it more than me..."

"Oh really?"

"You are older. You need to wear it," SinB insisted. It earned her a flick to her forehead. "Hey! This is abuse!"

"You are hundred years too early to be worried about me. Just wear it. You looked like you are going to keel over anytime. Your face is already as red as a boiled crab."

SinB bedgrudingly wore it.

"And, drink up," Sowon said, offering SinB her thermos. "It's cold water."

SinB accepted it. "You don't put any poison in it, do you?" SinB said suspiciously. It earned her another slap.

"You are stupid, lucky you Umji loves you a lot," Eunha commented. She slipped her fingers on Sowon's idle fingers. Hooked their fingers together so that they're holding hand.

SinB pouted, She huffed in annoyance. It made Eunha laughed because SinB looked like a petulant child.

Yet, as Sowon started to walk away, SinB held on Sowon's jacket. "Tha-thank you..." as a replied, Sowon ruffled her head with a smile. SinB’s mouth was hanging opened.

Eunha winked at SinB. She said, “Don’t fall for her, SinB. She’s mine, I know she’s nice and gorgeous and everything good in the world. And—’

SinB made a face at that. “Sunbae, I wouldn’t fall for your girl. I have Umji, who’s like the sun herself. And the love of my life. And, your girl is looking really red right now.” SinB pointed at Sowon. “She must like your words a lot.”

Eunha turned to Sowon. True to SinB’s words, Sowon was slightly red. She said, “So, I am your girlfriend, huh, Eunha?”

“OF COurse….? I mean we love each others?” Eunha’s tone went lower with every word she said. “Except if you don’t want to…” Eunha looked at her feet.

She heard SinB’s sigh. Eunha was about to give the girl a piece of her mind when her body was being lifted up.

“Huh?!” Eunha flailed wildly but stop when Sowon was laughing.

“Hello, girlfriend,” Sowon laughed.

Looking at how wide Sowon’s smile was, Eunha grinned in happiness. “Yes, hello, my girlfriend.” Eunha giggled at how nice the sounds of girlfriend came out her lips. And as she gazed at Sowon’s eyes, her eyes stayed there for a moment, before it slided down lower.

“OoooKAY!” SinB clapped her hands. “Enough, don’t make out here. It’s like in the middle of the street. Not to say that we are also in the middle of hiking.”

SinB’s claps were breaking down Eunha’s trance. Blushing as SinB’s words registered on her minds, she looked anywhere but Sowon. And notice that the older girl was doing the same.

“Phew, you are doing a good job, self,” SinB said, “Ah, while we are on this topic—“

“What topic?” Eunha asked.

“Ah, while we are on this topic, have you two even kissed properly?” SinB continue as if Eunha wasn’t interrupting.

Eunha blushed even a deeper shade of pink. Sowon was smacking SinB’s back. “OI! That’s none of your business!”

SinB pouted but otherwise didn’t say anything anymore.

But, SinB’s words stirred something inside Eunha’s mind. They did kiss once. But, Sowon was delirious at that time. And, it totally didn’t count as a kiss. Well, she did kiss Sowon’s cheek. So, it should count to something, right? During the hike, those things kept on appearing on her minds.

--

Eunha walked slowly alongside Sowon with SinB walking slightly ahead of them. The day before, Yerin was making them to go hike to see the sunset. This morning, she asked them to go on another hike. She said there’ll be beautiful scenery waiting for them once they have arrived at the top. Eunha didn’t even know that Yerin loved hiking that much, and they used to be dating before. Eunha sighed. Maybe she really wasn’t as involved in their relationship as she has thought before. Again, guilt seeped into her heart.

Along the way, Eunha felt like the road was slightly rumbling. Followed with faint sound of soft humming. The one that come out from a light drizzle of rain. Eunha looked up, no waters dropped from the sky. Eunha grew curious about the source of the things she felt now. As she walked farther, the rumbling got stronger, it run through her foot lightly, as if tickling her. The drizzling sound she had heard become louder, like a downpour of rain.

Her curiousity was soon being answered as she stepped into the beautiful view Yerin has told them before. There, in front of them, was a gigantic waterfall. The waters were dropping down cheerfuly into the deep blue pool beneath it. As the water continue to fall, it made a curtain of white and blue thread, hiding the pitch black rocks behind it.

Eunha stared in awe.

“It’s beautiful, huh? So, our hardworks hiking here is being rewarded handsomely,” Sowon laughed beside her.

Eunha could only nod. She looked at Sowon to gush about the view but it’s apparently a mistake. Because as she turned to Sowon who was still laughing, the sun was coming up from behind, its rays illumininate Sowon’s hair, creating a halo above her head. Eunha’s already labored breath was coming to a halt. “Unnie—“ as words started to tumble down from her lips, she was feeling herself slipping down, a push to her back, and she’s falling. Falling. Deep into the pool of water.

She saw Sowon’s hand reached out for her. Eunha’s hand was grabbing onto Sowon’s. Yet, the momentum threw both of them out of balance, resulting in her pulling down into the pool with her. A moment before their bodies touched the water, Sowon managed to wrap her hands around Eunha.

--

Laughters were waiting for them once they’re resurfacing from beneath the water. Laughter from a certain someone who has pushed them into the pool of water.

“HWANG SINB!” Eunha bellowed in rage.

“OI! That’s dangerous, little brat!” Sowon yelled as well to the still laughing teenager.

“Well, I see a chance so I took it,” SinB winked at the bellowing girls.

SinB was still laughing when she walked toward the edge and offered her hands to them. “Come here, I’ll help you climb up from the pool.” While offering her help, SinB was still laughing. She laughed until tears come out.

Eunha shared a look with Sowon. They nodded to each other. Sowon held SinB’s right hand while Eunha held SinB’s left. While SinB readying herself to pull them out, both Eunha and Sowon pulled her down with them. SinB screamed bloody murder when she fell into the water, splashing water everywhere.

This time, Eunha and Sowon were laughing at how SinB shook her hair to make the water come out, pouting all the way.

“Guys, look here,” Yerin called.

The three looked at Yerin who snapped a photo of them.

“Yerin?” Sowon asked.

Yerin smiled. “It will be a good memory, don’t you think?”

Sowon smiled. “Probably.” She looked at SinB and Eunha who each has a bewildered expression when they realized that Yerin was taking a picture of them. “Nah, it will definitely become a good memory.” she added with a tone of finality.

--

Eunha watched Sowon who was in the middle of squeezing the water out of her hair. And for the x times, Eunha was left breathless by what she saw. Eunha walked toward Sowon, she touched Sowon’s hair.

“Hm?” Sowon looked at her with a smile.

“Nothing. I just thought that while this place is beautiful, unnie is still the world number one most beautiful. You are just so effortlessly catching my breath away,” Eunha said casually.

Sowon was only looking at her with a small smile. Just like that, Eunha knew that she has fallen deep. And even deeper. Why can’t I realize it sooner? The fact that I love you…

“Unnie, I love you,” Eunha said.

Sowon smiled. She held Eunha’s waist and pulled her closer. “Don’t forget that I love you, until always.”

They smiled at each other, trapped inside their own world until sounds of coughs break them away. They turned to look at SinB who shrugged her shoulder. “Oh, don’t mind me. Just continue to be off on your own world, it isn’t like we are freezing our body out in a pool of water with waterfall as the background.”

“Is salt your favorite spice or what?” Eunha countered, “So much salt in one sentence.”

Sowon was laughing while SinB was gaping at Eunha’s comeback.

--

“Eunha, wake up,” Sowon shook Eunha’s body gently.

“Mmh?” Eunha warily opened her eyes. “Is it morning already? I swear I just fall asleep not long ago.”

“Nah, it’s still late at night. Yerin was asking us to gather in front of the cottage. She has told us this afternoon, remember?”

“Oh…right. There’s that.” Eunha lazily woke up.

“Help me and wake SinB? I have shook her like five times but she wouldn’t bulge.”

Eunha nodded, she kicked the other girl who was still sleeping soundly at the side of the room. “Yo, wake up.”

“Be gentle please?” SinB complained. She rubbed the spot Eunha just kick.

Eunha shook her head. “No can do. You wouldn’t wake up if we did that. Remember this morning? We have to resort to use water to wake you up!”

SinB only shrugged her shoulder.

--

“Guys, it’s a ‘Test of Courage’ time!!” Yerin shouted.

The students groaned in dissatisfaction. “You are asking us to gather here for that?!” SinB yelled.

Yerin nodded enthusiastically. “Now, draw a lot to decide your partner.”

SinB groaned. “I want to sleep.”

--

As Eunha held onto the hand of her partner, she laughed cheerfuly. “It must be fate, huh?”

“Fate?”

“Maybe you really are my fate, Sowon-unnie. Even when we’re drawing lot, which is purely by fate, we’re still ending up together.”

Sowon laughed. “I don’t know about fate, but, I know that I like being with you. There’s never a dull moment when I am beside you, Eunha.”

They shared a smile. Eunha was about to say something when her ears picked up strange sound. There are some more rustling sounds, Eunha gripped Sowon’s arm in reflex. Eyes darting around the field.

“BOO!” followed by a cold sensation on her neck, Eunha screamed. Sowon pushed her to the back while putting herself in front of Eunha.

“Gyahahaha, so funny!” as laughter surrounded them.

“Wait a minute, this evil laughter is familiar…” Eunha looked at Sowon who looked at her. They nodded at each other.

“Hwang SinB, come out this instant!” Sowon yelled.

A defeated ‘ghost’ walked out of her hiding spot from behind the tree. “No fun. Don’t go and call my full name like that.” SinB touched her hair. “Ugh, this wig is making my head itchy. I want to throw it away already!”

“Why are you a ghost?! What is that cold thing on my neck??” Eunha asked.

“Ice blocks. Because I draw a lot as ‘ghost’” SinB puffed her cheek.

Sowon sighed. “You looked like you have a lot of fun being a ghost.”

SinB grinned. “It isn’t like I want to be a ghost, okay? You are walking through this path so it’s my job to scare you guys away? So, if I happened to be having fun, well, it can’t be helped,” SinB explained, “Augh, how long do I have to keep on doing this anyway? What number are you guys again?”

“Six,” Eunha replied.

SinB groaned. “Still a few more…”

Sowon threw her plaid at SinB who caught it in surprise. “Bwoh?”

“It is summer, nights are especially cold during it. Use that,” Sowon said.

“And take this thermos, it has warm tea inside. It will help you through the chill,” Eunha said while gave her thermos to SinB.

“Wha—what—why?” SinB stuttered, eyebrows raised in confusion.

“You are our Umji’s girlfriend which mean you are our little sister, too,” Eunha explained.

Sowon pet SinB’s head. “So, of course, we’ll take a good care of you, little brat.”

Despite the chilly wind, SinB’s face was getting red instead. “You two… are actually good people…I am surprised.”

Sowon, who was petting SinB’s arm changed into pinching it. “Silly brat.”

Eunha laughed at SinB’s expression that changed from wonder to grimace to one of surrender.

--

While walking back to their lodge, Sowon hummed to herself. It’s a familiar tune. One she had heard long ago. Eunha leaned on Sowon’s shoulder. “Unnie, sing it for me?” she asked softly.

“Alright,” Sowon answered simply.

Even if you are lazy, don’t forget to eat

Walk don’t run

Carefully so that you wouldn’t trip on your own foot

Because someday will come the time where I couldn’t catch you

Eunha held onto Sowon’s arm tightly. There were words stuck on the tip of her tounge.

I am sorry

Because this selfish me

Love you, only you

Sowon was staring straight ahead.

Loving you filled me with lots of happiness

Yet it is also so painful

Eunha felt a pang of sadness building up inside her.

Though i am not there

Please smile

No matter how many times she heard it, Eunha always feel that Sowon’s words felt like goodbye.

Because even though rain keeps on falling

It is going to be okay

I'll always stay by your side

That’s a promise under the stars

And Eunha hated goodbye.

Though it is careless

I pray for you to be the happiest person on earth

Because even if the earth stopped moving

I'll keep you safe

No matter what

Even when there’s a promise of always being together.

Because someday will come the time where I couldn’t catch you

Even if that happened, I’ll still watch over you

It sounded like an empty promise.

You are the brightest star

I will protect you

Because goodbye meant that it’s the end.

My precious person

I am sorry

And Eunha didn’t want to have an end.

I love you

My dear

Don't cry

Everything she has with Sowon, she didn’t want to ever have an end to it.

It's going to be okay

We will meet again

She wanted it to continue forever.

Even if it’s late

Because we love each other

Surely, we’ll meet again

And ever.

With such thoughts run through Eunha’s mind, they entered the lodge together. Sowon was still looking as calm as ever if not a bit sad.

“Unnie,” Eunha called softly.

“Hn?”

“I don’t want your goodbye. I want your forever. Stay beside me forever.”

“It’s—my forever is already yours, Eunha,” Sowon said firmly. Her eyes caught Eunha’s. “Believe it.”

Eunha smiled. She started to get lost on Sowon’s gaze. She tiptoed on her feet. And then the door was opened with a loud thud, making Eunha shrieked and stepped on Sowon’s foot.

SinB was throwing her wig away and scratching her head. “Ugh, I hate wearing it—uh? What are you guys doing standing there? Why are you holding your feet like that, Sowon-sunbae??? Eunha-sunbae, your face is really red.” A pause. “Are you two okay?”

Eunha groaned. She hugged Sowon’s waist, mumbling sorry while Sowon was massaging the feet she has been stepping on.

--

 

“I really thought I could defy fate… but I was wrong…” someone was whispering softly.

 

Something was hurting her foot. Eunha was still half asleep when the smell of something being burnt invaded her. It’s like the smell that came out of a burning rubber. Along with it, come shouts. Eunha felt a bit disoriented when she opened her eyes. The room was dark and smoke was filling up every corner of the room. She blidly d around her. A hand gripped her. Another one was still touching her foot.

“EUNHA?! You are waking up! Great, we should leave immediately. This place is on fire!” Sowon yelled.

“Oh? She’s awake?! Good, my effort pushing the pressing point on your foot work,” SinB’s relieved voice came through her ear.

“Let’s go to the window instead of the door! It’s closer!” Sowon pointed at the little window, the only one with a light coming out of it.

Smoke filled her lung. It was increasingly difficult to breathe. The smoke was too thick that the three of them could only around the floor trying to find a way to the window. Choking and getting difficulty breathing, Eunha fleetingly thought that maybe it’s where she’ll die.

And the smoke wasn’t like the one she saw at movies, where the characters just need to clamp a wet rag over their mouth and can easily battling through a few thin grey smoke. This one, this smoke surrounded their room was pitch black. And it’s just as choking as water does.

--

“Sunbae, the window was locked! Shall I just smash it open?!” SinB shouted.

“Yes, just smash it!” Eunha replied. “Wait, use this handkerchief on your hand first!”

“No time!” SinB shouted.

There’s silence for a moment before a loud crashing sound was heard. SinB was smashing it with her bare hand. Followed by a little grunt from SinB. “Stupid little glass!”

“SinB, you go climb the window first. I’ll help you,” Sowon said.

Eunha used her hands as a leverage to help SinB climbed on Sowon’s back. While Sowon was pushing SinB outside of the window, the roof collapsed.

“EUNHA!” Sowon shouted was registering on her ears yet Eunha could only stared as the burning wood started to fall on her—

“NO! UNNIE!” Eunha shouted as Sowon was pushing her down, shielding her with her own body, making the burning wood fall on top of her instead. “NO no no no, unnie!”

Sowon was hissing in pain. Yet, she didn’t move a spot.

“Unnie, move? Please move away!” Eunha shouted. She looked up at Sowon’s face, blood were trailing down from the wound on Sowon’s head onto Eunha’s face. “Move away, just let that wood fall on me!”

Sowon smiled. “I am sorry, I can’t do that.”

Tears were welling up. Eunha touched Sowon’s face. “Sowon-unnie…”

“My dear, don’t cry. It’s going to be okay.”

Instead of calming her down, Sowon’s words were making tears were falling instead. Fear gripped Eunha’s heart. Her heartbeat was raising and raising.

“SUNBAE!! Why don’t you come out?! Hurry!!” SinB’s shout could be heard.

“There’s still some time left…” Sowon was looking at the window then back at her. “I will move now. When I do, try to climb the window, Eunha.”

Eunha shook her head. “No, I don’t want to!”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be right behind you,” Sowon smiled despite the urgency of her tone. “Okay?”

Eunha kept on shaking her head. Something akin to dread was filling up her heart. It’s like Sowon’s words were a lie.

“Eunha, it’s going to be okay. We’ll meet again.”

“Unnie…” don’t lie…

“Because we love each other, surely, we’ll meet again. It’s going to be okay. Believe me?”

“I love you… I love you, Sowon-unnie.”

“I love you, Eunha.”

And this time, without hesistating, Eunha pulled Sowon toward her and kissed her. Soft yet desperate. Eunha tried to convey her feeling toward it. Her love, her pain, her dread toward her kiss. While their first kiss taste of bitter medicine featuring a delirious Sowon, this kiss, it tasted like iron and salt. Sowon’s blood and her tears.

--

“SinB, catch Eunha when she’s jumping, okay? Just pull her!” Sowon shouted to the window.

“QUICK!” SinB shouted back immediately.

Sowon pushed herself up with difficulty, hissing in pain and through the gap, Eunha slipped away. As soon as Eunha was slipping away, Sowon tried to throw the wood away from her. It took her a lot of effort, while Eunha was franctically using her own hand to help Sowon.

“What are you doing?! Climb outside already!” Sowon shouted at her.

“I don’t care! I will help you!” Eunha stubbornly said.

Though her hands were burning, though it’s painful, Eunha didn’t care. All she cared about was for Sowon to get safe too.

“Stubborn!”

“You love me.”

Combining their strength, they were finally able to throw the wood away. Sowon lifted Eunha’s body and forced her to climb the window.

“Eunha, quick! I’ll climb out after you, okay?”

“Unnie— No! I—“ you are lying. How are you going to hoist yourself up—

As Eunha tried to resist, she felt SinB was grabbing onto her, pulling her away from the window. Eunha screamed and screamed.

She screamed and screamed. She tried to fight off the people holding her. She needed to go back there. She needed to—

Her ears were ringing when an explosion happened. She stopped moving. She stopped screaming. She stared at the scene in front of her unblinkingly. She tried to make sense of everything. But, she came out empty. She couldn’t get it. She wished everything was a dream. And that when she opened her eyes, things were just fine.

It should be her. Right there. But, why… why was someone else was being there instead? Why is she still ...alive?

 

Tears, tears were coming. It fall and continue to fall like a waterfall. She did nothing to wipe it away. She slumped on the ground. All of her will to fight has left her body. It’s too late. Too late.

Around her, she could hear people screaming at her. But, she paid no more attention to them. She only stared at the scene in front of her.

Her body bent forward as if the gravitation has pulled her. The scene in front of her has been burnt to her eyes. She closed her eyes.

And then she wailed. Loudly and filled with so much sorrow. She pounded the ground angrily. Frustatedly.

And then silence.

--

 

 

A/N : 。◕‿◕。

enjoy and thank you for reading and commenting~