Smile

Beside Me

A/N : italics = thought

 

 

“You are awesome!” a long haired girl cheered. “You are going to win the upcoming championship for sure,” she continued. “My super amazing girl~”

The praised girl could only smile with a light blush spreading on her cheek. “Stop it, you are exaggerating too much.”

“I am not, you are awesome, I am only telling you the truth,” she reached for the girl’s forehead. “You are sweating a lot, let me wipe it off you.”

Another blush appeared.

--

Another pair of eyes has been observing them. Due to this, she didn’t see a big tree standing tall in front of her and continue to glide there.

“Eunha! In front of you!” 

She heard the shout but, it’s too late, she can’t stop her roller blade right on time. She closed her eyes, ready to crash into the tree. A loud crashing sound soon could be heard. Yet, instead of the pain she’s been expecting, she felt herself crashed into a really soft something and a pair of arms around her.

“Are you okay?” the same voice who’s been warning her from before asked.

Eunha opened her eyes. She looked up into a pair of worried eyes. “Sowon-unnie?”

“Are you okay?” Sowon repeated her question.

Eunha nodded. Until she realized that Sowon has cushioned her from the small accident. The loud crashing sound from before was the sound of Sowon crashing into the tree. Eunha’s eyes widen in horror. “Unnie, You!”

“Me?”

“Yeah, you! Unnie, are you okay?! You are crashing into the tree! Don’t ask me whether I am okay or not!” Eunha checked on Sowon for injuries. She walked behind Sowon to inspect Sowon’s back.

“I am okay, Eunha. Don’t worry about me, unnie is strong,” Sowon said.

Eunha poked Sowon’s back. Sowon hissed in response. “No, you are not okay, unnie. Your back must be hurting a lot right now. All I do is poking you, but you are hissing like that.”

“Ah, but, I am-“

“Let’s go to the infirmary, unnie,” Eunha said. She pulled Sowon’s hand with her.

Eunha has forgotten about the pair she has been observing so intently before.

--

“Unnie, it seems like you are getting more and more injuries as time goes by,” Umji said. She has just finished treating the wounds on Sowon’s back. “First, it’s your knee, then your leg, and now, it’s your back. Why are you so clumsy?”

Sowon chuckled in response. “My little sister has been doing a great job as a substitute nurse, huh?”

“You are not answering my question, unnie,” Umji sighed. “I am not a substitute nurse. I am just here because of my part as a health club member.” Umji looked at the antsy girl standing outside of the curtain. “Eunha-unnie, it’s okay. Sowon-unnie is fine. Come here, she’s been fully clothed.”

“I am sorry… you are in pain because of me,” Eunha looked down.

Sowon walked toward Eunha. She raised Eunha’s chin. “Don’t look so sad, Eunha. It’s okay, haven’t I told you that I am strong? Only a few scrapes are nothing for me.”

“But-“

“Sshh, you know, you could actually make me feel better. Like a whole lot better, if you could do this one thing for me.”

“What is it, unnie? I will do anything for you,” Eunha eagerly said.

Sowon smirked. “Hmm, anything you say?”

Eunha, for some reason felt some kind of dread. Sowon’s smirk making her looked roughish. “A—anything, unnie,” Eunha said.

“In that case, show me your smile, Eunha,” Sowon said.

“Smile? Why? How could that be enough?”

 “Because I like your smile. It’s as simple as that.”

“Unnie…” Eunha looked down at her feet. Because really, her heart was pounding hard and she wasn’t sure why. Because Sowon looked so radiant with her smile. But, still—

“Unnie, please don’t get hurt because of me anymore….” Eunha whispered. She looked up into Sowon’s soft smile. Eunha gave Sowon the brightest smile she could muster.

“Smiling like that, you look really beautiful, Eunha… you should keep on smiling,” Sowon touched Eunha’s cheek lightly.

Again, Eunha’s heart was pounding even harder than before. Maybe she needed to see a doctor?

--

“Ahem,” Umji faked a cough. “My dear dear Sowon-unnie and Eunha-unnie, just to remind you, I am still standing here…”

Sowon laughed. Eunha blushed. Umji looked knowingly at the two.

--

On the way home, Eunha pulled Sowon to a small ice cream shop. “Unnie, let’s eat ice cream!”

“Okay okay,” Sowon laughed.

--

They walked side by side, each was eating ice cream. Eunha’s hand brushed against Sowon’s. Eunha hesitated for a moment. Then, she took Sowon’s hand, tentatively, slowly, as if she’s afraid that Sowon was going to brush her hand away. Yet, Sowon only looked surprised before she smiled and curled her fingers around Eunha’s. Eunha smiled. 

It wasn’t the first time they were holding hand, Eunha wondered why she hesitated before. She wondered why she’s afraid that Sowon didn’t want to hold hand with her.

--

Eunha was happily eating her ice cream when her eyes caught sight of a couple she’s been observing before. They were eating inside a café. Laughing and looking happy inside their own little world.

Eunha could feel sadness started to creep inside her heart. Until she felt a small comforting squeeze on her hand. Eunha looked at how her and Sowon’s hand was lacing together. Eunha’s eyes travelled up from their intertwining hands to Sowon’s warm smile. Soon, Eunha could feel hear heart being comforted.

“You still look cute even when you are frowning like that, you know?” Sowon asked.

Eunha grinned. “I am always cute, unnie. No matter what I do.”

Sowon flicked Eunha’s forehead in response.

“Oww, unnie!”

“You are too cute, that’s why I flicked your forehead,” Sowon deadpanned. “Your ice cream is going to melt if you don’t eat it, Eunha.”

Eunha pouted. But, Sowon was right. Her ice cream was actually already melting. So, Eunha started to eat it as soon as possible. She just didn’t expect to get a brain freeze after she finished her ice cream. In the end, her ice cream stills melt and her hands ware sticky. Sowon was quick to pull her hand and clean it with tissue.

“If you like Yerin that much, you should go and tell her how you feel, Eunha,” Sowon said while continued to clean Eunha’s hand. “If you only look from a far like this, things wouldn’t change,” Sowon added.

“Unnie…”

“I thought you two are actually already dating or something,” Sowon said again.

“Unnie…”

“I am sorry…” Sowon said, “I talk too much…”

“Why are you saying sorry?” Eunha asked, “You are right, unnie. I also thought that we’re dating. She confessed to me at one point, you know?” Eunha sighed. “But, I guess, we are just not right for each other.”

“But, you still like her a lot, don’t you?” Sowon asked.

Eunha lowered her eyes. She stared at the ground. Lifted it up to stare at the pair inside the café. Then back to look at her feet.

Sowon patted Eunha’s head. “Okay, your hand is already clean. Let’s go home, Eunha.”

Eunha nodded. Sowon was still holding her hand. They walked in silence for a few minutes.

“I do like her, unnie,” Eunha said, breaking the silence.

“I know,” Sowon replied, “Then, what are you going to do next, Eunha?”

“I… I don’t know… it’s—It’s just,” Eunha started to say only to stop every few words.

Sowon hummed in reply.

“It hurts watching them… I guess…”

Sowon tighten her hold of Eunha’s hand. As if to say that Eunha wasn’t alone. As if to comfort her. The sadness inside her heart slowly melted away. Eunha thought that Sowon was amazing, only like this, only being with her could comfort her this much.

“Unnie,” Eunha called.

“Yeah?” Sowon replied.

“Thank you.“

“Huh? What for?”

“For everything, for being here…”

Sowon patted Eunha’s head.

“I… am… unnie, is it possible for you to be my best friend forever?” Eunha asked.

Sowon smiled. “Of course.”

Eunha smiled her biggest smile. “Thank you, I love you, Sowon-unnie.”

Sowon laughed. They walked hand in hand for the rest of the trip.

--

They walked in comfortable silence until they reached Eunha’s home.

“I’ll pick you up tomorrow,” Sowon said.

“Okay,” Eunha replied. She still stood at the gate. Not moving even an inch. Sowon’s eyebrow rose.

“Why don’t you go inside, Eunha?”

“Unnie, do you want me to walk you home?”

Sowon laughed. “What are you talking about? My home is right there, beside yours! We are practically neighbors.” Sowon pointed at the cream colored house besides Eunha’s white one.

Eunha’s face burnt red. Sowon still laughed. Eunha punched Sowon’s shoulder. “Unnie! Stop laughing!”

Sowon laughed for a few more minutes. Eunha has been punching her shoulders many times.

“Okay, okay… I am sorry for laughing,” Sowon said, “But, why?”

“I… I… uh,” Eunha stammered her answer. “I just thought that…”

“That?”

“Thatiwanttostaywithyouabitlongerbecauseforsomereasonisuddenlyfeltlonely,” Eunha rapped her answer. “Well, so bye!” she said, running inside her home. Face still burnt, even more than before. Heart was pounding fast.

Eunha leaned on the closed door. Slowly, her body slide down to the floor. She touched her burning cheeks.

Why am I being like this? I need to go to the doctor asap! I am getting crazy!

Then she heard knocking on the door. Soon she heard Sowon’s voice. “Oi! Eunha. Just in case you are still standing behind this door, I am going to tell you something. I thought, it’s sweet of you for wanting to walk me home, but if you do, I will walk you back home, you know? Like, we are going to be like that back and forth? Do you get what I am saying?”

Eunha chuckled.

“We’ll look really silly. But, actually, I wouldn’t mind it. Because, I like spending time with you,” Sowon continued, “And, you know that you are welcome to come to my home anytime? Just come to me when you feel lonely.  Well, then bye. I will go home now.”

Eunha thought she heard Sowon’s whispered something like. “I … you…” Eunha tried to strain her ears to hear clearly. But nothing more was said. She peeked from the curtain, Sowon was already in front of her home.

--

 

A/N : hello~ here is the 1st chapter~ please enjoy! :D