Be The Happiest Person On Earth

Beside Me

A/N :

italics = thought

 

 

“Unnie, I have finished wrapping Umji’s gift!” Eunha shouted happily as soon as Sowon opened the door. She waved a box almost half of her height.

“Awesome!” Sowon laughed. “Come inside, I am in the middle of cooking dinner.”

“Yay! What do you cook, unnie?” Eunha walked beside Sowon. “Is it your special fried rice? Please say that it is?! It’s really delicious!” Eunha skipped right to the kitchen. “OH! I am right! It’s your special fried rice!” Eunha cheered. “Ah, you are baking a cake too, unnie?”

“It’s the first time I am baking this carrot cake, I hope both of you will like it,” Sowon said.

“We will! You are an amazing cook!” Eunha pulled Sowon toward her. “I love everything you cooked.”

Sowon chuckled. "Even if you praised me like that, I wouldn’t give you the cake before dinner, alright~”

Eunha pouted. “That isn’t my intention. I am being serious. Well, I wouldn’t say no if you do give me the sample cake.”

Sowon shook her head. She pushed Eunha to the living room. “You go and wait there while I cook. You could watch TV to entertain yourself while I cook.”

“Unnieeee, I want to watch you cook,” Eunha whined.

“No can do, you are going to distract me,” Sowon kept on pushing Eunha to the living room. “Just stay here and rest?” Sowon pushed Eunha to the sofa. “You have been practicing hard for the upcoming skating competition. So, just rest here.” Sowon said with a small smile.

Eunha could only nod once she saw Sowon’s sincere smile.

--

Eunha was bored. None of the show on the television was interesting, so she lazed around the sofa. She looked around the familiar living room to search for things to amuse her. Eunha looked at the small frame on top of the mini cupboard. Curiously, she walked toward it. A smile was blooming out of her when she saw the photo of eight years old Sowon with five years old Umji on her lap. Both are looking so small and cute.

Her attention diverted to the photo of ten years old Sowon smiling in her school uniform. Then to the pouting seven years Umji who has half eaten cookies when the photo was taken.

Giggled slightly, Eunha found out what she wanted to do. She walked back toward the television. Her destination was the drawer under the television. Eunha has been staying at the Kim’s house so often that she knew her way around the house, just like it’s her own. So, she’s sure the she’ll find what she wanted inside the drawer.

She smiled in triumphed once she found what she’s been looking for. A photo album.

--

Eunha looked through the photo album. She smiled when she recognized the memories stored inside the album. She stopped at the photo of her and Sowon. Both were laughing. Both looked very small. Very young.

Somehow, Eunha found her mind drifting to the time she first met Sowon.

--

It was sunny when ten years old Eunha met twelve years old Sowon. During that time, Eunha was on a mission to befriend all of the cats in her neighborhood. She tried to befriend the cats with food. Mostly it’s in the form of bread. Eunha has always heard from her mother that a good relationship started with a good food. So, Eunha eagerly brought out her bread to feed the cats. She figured the park was the best place to start for her mission.

And, she’s right. Because, after doing it for a week, Eunha has been in the friendly term with the cats she found at the park. Most of the cats usually let her pet them once they have deemed her safe… along with her bread of course. After two weeks of feeding the cats, Eunha was always surrounded by cats whenever they saw her entered the park.

On her third week, Eunha found herself in a strange predicament. It was supposed to be a normal day. She went to the park and started to feed the cats surrounding her when she heard meowing sounds. Eunha searched for the source of the sad meowing sound. She found the sounds coming from a shivering little kitten sat on top of a tree branch.

Eunha looked around the park, though there were a lot of people inside the park, no one seemed to put any attention at the little kitten. She looked at the tree and started to climb it. Going up the tree wasn’t as difficult as she thought. But, now that she has the kitten safely tucked in her arms, she found out that going down the tree was too scary. She looked at the ground below. A chill run throughout her body. Her heart was palpitating in fear. Her hands felt clammy from sweat.

Eunha wanted to cry for help but no voice came out of . The little kitten on her arms was still shivering in fear as well. Eunha tried to be brave. So, she kept on whispering to it. “Don’t worry, I’ll get you safe. Once I figured out how to climb down the tree that is.”

Just as she finished saying that, her legs slipped on the branch. Eunha closed her eyes tightly, scared of falling but still holding on tightly of the kitten in her arms. Yet, she didn’t feel any pain. Eunha knew that she has been hitting on something. But, the ground didn’t feel that bad?

“Oi, are you alright?” a voice come from below.

Eunha gasped when she realized that she has been sitting on someone’s back. That someone has been laying face first on the ground with Eunha sat on top of her back.

“Wah! I am sorry! I am sorry, I’ll get up now. Are you okay?” Eunha get up as quickly as she could. But, she lost her footing. It seemed like the girl has predicted it, because she caught Eunha’s hand and pulled Eunha toward her once Eunha started to lose her footing for the second time. So, Eunha fall into the girl for the second time.

“Are you alright?” Eunha heard the girl asked her again.

Blushed. Eunha stuttered her apologies. “I… am sorry—really sorry—“

“Nah.” The girl shook her head. She stood up while pulling Eunha up as well. For some reason, when Eunha looked at the girl, she felt kind of familiar. Like, she has been seeing her face before.

“Are you okay? You just suddenly fall from the tree,” the girl asked again. She dusted herself off from the dirt.

“No, are you okay?! I was falling on top of you!” Eunha half shouted. Because how could that girl continuously asking whether she’s alright or not when she has been the one who got most of the brunt of Eunha’s clumsiness.

“As you can see, I am okay. Only a little bit dusty, but okay. Are you okay?”

Eunha nodded. “I am okay thanks to you…”

The girl smiled. “What are you even doing up there?” the girl looked up the tree. “Are you trying to fly?”

“What-? No. I was only trying to get this little kitten down from the tree.” Eunha looked at the kitten on her arms.

“Ah…” the girl said.

Eunha nodded. She stared the kitten. Slowly, she put it on the ground. “You have landed safely, little kitten.” Eunha said. She patted the kitten. She got a low purr as the result. After a few more pats, the kitten left. Eunha looked at the kitten with a smile.

“Do you like strawberry?”

Eunha was startled when a cone of strawberry ice cream appeared in front of her. Eunha looked at the outstretched hand up to the owner of said hand. The girl who has saved her.

“Uh? Wha-?”

“Eat it? It’s going to melt if you don’t quickly eat it,” the girl said, “The unnie selling it said that a cute girl usually likes strawberry.” The girl pointed at the ice cream stall on the end of the road. “Well, you are cute, so I guess, you might like it too?”

“Huh? Well, I have been heard that I am cute,” Eunha said as a matter of fact, “But, why are you giving it to me?” Eunha asked.

The girl pointed at the running kitten Eunha has been patted before. “Because of that. Because you have been a hero. Hero could get a little reward for her bravery.” The girl smiled at Eunha. For some reason Eunha felt proud of herself but also a bit embarrassed. The more she looked at the girl, the more she looked familiar. Eunha couldn’t place why.

“I am no hero… hero on tv has robot and could change their form… and they could fly or shooting laser and fighting evil… I am not like that…”

The girl laughed. Eunha looked offended.

“You know, you don’t have to own a robot to be a hero. You have yourself. You don’t have to change your form like them. Because, didn’t you have change your mind to be brave for that kitten’s sake? Climbing a tree is just like fighting evil, I thought? The evil is your fear and the wind and the broken branch. Shooting laser? Sounds dangerous actually,” the girl said.

Eunha’s mouth was opened. “I… uh… never thought like that, but… wow..”

The girl laughed again. “You have been trying your hardest to save that kitten, right? So you are a hero. The ice cream is a reward or do you not like strawberry? We could get another flavor if you want?”

Eunha shook her head vehemently. “I like strawberry.” Eunha shyly took the ice cream. “Thanks—“ but Eunha halted her hand.

“Hn?”

“Mama said I shouldn’t accept things from stranger,” Eunha said. She looked conflicted.

The girl laughed. Wow, she sure likes to laugh.

“Your mama is correct. So that we wouldn’t be stranger, I will introduce myself. Hello, I am Sowon. Twelve years old. What’s your name? And, you know? We are actually neighbor.”

“Eunha. Ten years old… huh? Neighbor?“ Eunha widen her eyes in surprise. Oh! That’s why she looked familiar! She’s the girl next door!

“Oh, you are a baby. You should call me unnie, then,” the girl, Sowon, said.

“Okay, Sowon-unnie,” Eunha smiled.

Sowon patted Eunha’s head.

--

Eunha happily eat her ice cream while Sowon watched her.

“Unnie? Why are you looking at me like that? My face looked weird?” Eunha asked.

“Nothing of the sort. You looked so happy when you are eating ice cream,” Sowon said, “I just thought that I like seeing it.”

Eunha’s face felt hot somehow. And her stomach felt weird, the kind of feeling you have when you are on the car and said car was going downhill. That kind of feeling.

--

Eunha chuckled to herself when she remembered that. She let her mind wandered off to another time in the past. The first time she cried her heart out because she thought she’s going to die.

--

Thirteen years old Eunha was patting her stomach worriedly. Her stomach has been feeling weird since last night. During lunch, she met up with Sowon at the cafeteria.

“Are you okay?” Sowon asked, “You keep on touching your stomach.”

“I am okay, unnie. Just felt weird, maybe I ate something weird yesterday.”

“Is that so? Should we go to the infirmary?”

“Nah, no need. I think it’s going to be fine soon,” Eunha smiled.

“Hm, alright. But, if your stomach got worse, call me, okay?”

“Unnie, you are like a mother~”

“Sheesh, this kid.”

Eunha laughed.

--

Eunha’s stomach was still throbbing in pain. Because, Eunha couldn’t focus at what the teacher said, she decided to distract herself from her throbbing stomach by looking out of the window. First by guessing the shape of the clouds. A rabbit. A fox. A duck. Oh… that one looked like a carriage… what else— huh?

Eunha’s attention divert to the bunch of upperclassman exercising at the field below. Her eyes automatically glued to a familiar figure. Sowon-unnie?

She smiled at how tiny Sowon looked from her place. But, she’s also in awe at how good Sowon run. Sowon was running so fast. It looked like she’s in the middle of a race or something. Inside her heart, she cheered for Sowon, yet when she noticed the moment Sowon has finished her lap and surrounded by a mob of people, offering towel and things and at how Sowon just casually smiled at them, Eunha felt a tiny prick inside her head. Eunha frown.

She turned her head to the teacher. Feeling that the pain on her stomach was growing more intense. She hates how there’s a two year gap between them. Because, if they’re born in the same year, she could be there, playing with Sowon together. Being in the same class as her.

Sighing quietly, Eunha tried to focus on what the teacher has been saying. She knew that it’s futile though.

--

Eunha approached Sowon who has been waiting outside of her classroom. Though it’s already time for them to go home, the pain in her stomach didn’t lessen.

“How’s your stomach?” Sowon asked.

“It’s still hurting. I don’t get it, I have tried to recall what I ate yesterday. But, I don’t think I have eaten anything weird.” Eunha replied.

“In that case, we should go home as quickly as possible,” Sowon said.

Eunha nodded. She’s about to follow Sowon when a piece of paper caught her eyes. It looked like a student card. “Unnie, wait.” Eunha bent down to pick the card. But, her movement halted. Her lower back was throbbing in pain.

“Are you okay?” Sowon offered her hand to Eunha.

“Unnie, your card,” Eunha let Sowon puller her up. “I am okay… I guess… Just that my back was throbbing...”

“Huh?” Sowon looked worried for a moment. Then she clapped her hand. “Maybe it’s that?!”

“What is it, unnie?” Eunha looked up at Sowon, and she realized at how much taller Sowon has been growing. It’s like Sowon was suddenly growing further away from her. For some reason, Eunha got a bit lonely.

“Maybe you are on—“ Sowon started to say only to be interrupted by Eunha.

“Unnie, wait—let’s go to the toilet first? I think I need to pee…”

“Eh? Alright…”

--

“Uh?!” Eunha looked at her underwear. Something was in there. “GYAH!” She shouted. Wait, calm down first. Did I accidentally poop myself?! No! That’s impossible?! But, what is it?! When did I even—?! Is.. is this some kind of illness?? Am I going to die???

Sowon was knocking on the toilet’s cubicle. “Eunha?! What’d happened?! Are you alright?!”

Eunha opened the door slightly. Her eyes were teary. “Unnie… what to do? There’s something weird on my underwear…”

Sowon’s eyebrow rose. “Huh? Could I see?”

Eunha nodded. She let Sowon entered the cubicle. Once the door was clicked shut, Eunha showed her underwear at Sowon.

“Unnie, am I sick?”

Sowon’s face was kind of funny. She looked like she wanted to laugh but also looked relieved. “Eunha, I think that’s blood….”

“…Blood?! What?! Is that mean that I am ill?!” am I going to die?! Eunha has started to cry even more than before.

“Um… no? I don’t think that you are sick. It’s your period.”

“Period?”

“Ah, you see… it’s something girls your age usually get. The pain you feel on your stomach is coming from your period. Also that pain on your lower back, it’s from your period too…”

“I see…?”

“I think I keep some with me,” Sowon said. She rummaged her bag and pulled out a funny looking thing. She gave it to Eunha. “Here, you could use it.”

“What is this? Looked like a diaper?”

“That’s called pads. You use it when you are on your period. And you have to change it too every few hours... so that it wouldn’t leak.”

“Eh?! So troublesome…..”

Sowon scratched her head. “Yes, it is troublesome… but, there’s nothing we can do about it… besides, getting period is important for girls too.”

“What’s actually a period? How long is it?”

“Period is… um, to put it simply… your body throwing away all of your unneeded cell and blood. And change it with a new one… that’s the gist of it… please ask your mother for clearer explanation? Oh... and it usually last for a week…”

Eunha’s eyes widen in surprised. “EH?! Not a day or two but a whole week?!!”

“And, we will get it every month… I think until we’re around forty? Fifty?”

“HUH?! Every month?!” Eunha went a bit pale. “Sounds and feels troublesome. Extremely troublesome…”

Sowon laughed. She patted Eunha’s head. “I’ll wait outside.”

--

“Unnie, it felt weird, wearing it...” Eunha whined when she was out of the cubicle. “I hate it. Can’t everything stay the same? Sometimes, it feels like you are going to place out of my reach, Sowon-unnie.” Eunha looked at Sowon. “You are also growing as tall as a tree. Is that because you already got your period? Will I get taller too?” Eunha looked hopeful at the prospect of growing taller.

Eunha pouted when Sowon laughed at her. Sowon was still laughing when she tied her cardigan around Eunha’s waist. “Eh? Unnie? What are you doing?”

“My cardigan could be a substitute as a belly warmer, maybe. It might help lessen the pain.” Sowon smiled. “And, of course things are changing. It’s sign of us growing. But, we are still the same.” Sowon ruffled Eunha’s hair. “You are Eunha and I am Sowon. That fact will never change. Also that we’re best friends, that too, will never change, Eunha.”

“Ah, I see.” Eunha smiled. Unnie is unnie. And I am me. And we’re best friends. Just by that, the muddy cloud that has been plaguing me cleared away. Sowon-unnie is amazing.

Sowon continued to pat Eunha’s head.

--

Eunha was blushing when she remembered that. But, periods are painful. Eunha scrunched her nose. She turned the page on the album. Another familiar moment. Sowon’s 17th birthday.

--

Eunha has been trying to bake Sowon chocolate cakes for her birthday. She even enlisted a help from her mother, who for some reason looked way too excited when Eunha asked for her help. Eunha has been happily bringing the cake to Sowon’s classroom when she caught sight of Sowon going out with a girl. For some reason, Eunha compelled to follow them. She felt guilty but when she saw the girl offered Sowon a cake, a much better, much fancier cake than she could ever made, Eunha left.

For some reason, it hurts watching the scene. And, due to her muddy feeling, Eunha didn’t notice where she walked, until she felt nothing was supporting her feet anymore. Eunha gasped in surprised when she almost fell down the stairs. She, in reflex, hold the rail but, the chocolate cake she has been spending all week trying to make, was fallen out of her hands. It met its final fate on the cold cold ground, broken and messy. Eunha looked at the cake unblinkingly. The state of the cake was kind of mirroring her own.

“Eunha?” she could hear Sowon’s voice calling for her softly. “What are you doing at the stairs?”

Eunha was about to look up when she felt someone was brushing past her. Startled, she noticed that it’s the girl who has been talking with Sowon before. She looked at Sowon who was looking at the ground Eunha has been staring at before.

“Is that yours?” Sowon asked. She walked down the stairs and took the broken cake.

Eunha looked at her feet.

“Eunha?”

“… you,” Eunha whispered.

“Huh? Is it for me?” Sowon asked again. Her voice was filled with wonder and… hopes. Eunha looked at Sowon who was staring right back at her. A mistake. Because, Sowon was looking too hopeful. Too adorable. Facing that, all that Eunha could do was nodding her head.

“OH! YAY!” Sowon cheered. She approached Eunha with giant steps. “Thank you! Thank you!” Sowon kept on saying while hugging a rigid Eunha.

“Wh—why do you—unnie, why are you like this?”

“Like what?”

“You—that cake—that girl—don’t you already get a much more amazing cake, unnie? Just now, from that girl?”

“Eh? I don’t have any cake with me.”

“What are you talking about? I saw that you have accepted a cake just—“ Eunha looked at Sowon and realized that Sowon was indeed didn’t have any cake with her.

“See? I don’t have any.”

“But, I just saw—how?”

“Her cake is too sweet looking. I don’t like sweets, you know that, Eunha.”

“Huh? Then—then—“

“Then I don’t receive any.” Sowon smiled.

“Oh, I see,” Eunha said. Relieved flood her heart. Wait, backtrack a minute. Relieved? Why am I feeling like that?

“So, could I open the box? Could I eat the cake?” Sowon asked enthusiastically. She jumped from one foot to the other.

Eunha chuckled. “Of course you could, unnie. I made it for you.”

Sowon smiled. And looked so so happy. And Eunha was left breathless because of it.

Sowon opened the box, yet the moment Eunha caught sight of the pitiful state of the cake, she tried to take the cake back. “Unnie, no! The cake was slipping through my hands. It’s horrible. Don’t eat it.”

Sowon raised her hand that has been holding the cake out of Eunha’s reach. “What are you doing? You have been giving it to me. Me. So, you can’t take it back, Eunha.”

“But, unnie—“

“Shush, it looked delicious, it doesn’t look horrible at all.”

“Lies.”

Sowon smiled. “I am not lying. In my eyes, this cake, compared to cakes I have been seeing my whole life, it looked the best.”

Eunha blushed. Because Sowon did sound like she’s in awe.

--

“Ah, as I thought, I like the taste,” Sowon said once she has ate the cake.

Eunha, curious about how the cake actually taste, took a bite of it. “Unnie?! What’s delicious about it?! It’s tasted like charcoals… don’t eat it anymore.”

“I don’t like sweets, so it’s perfectly fine with me. And for me it’s the most delicious in the world.”

“You are lying, unnie.”

“I am not lying. You are making it for me, right? Only for me,” Sowon said, smiling widely. “That’s why, it is my number one favorite cake in the entire world.”

Eunha turned bright red at that. Because, it’s only a cake. Not to mention, it’s a charcoal cake instead of chocolate. But, Sowon looked so happy. So sincere. It’s weird. But, Eunha felt happiness was bubbling up inside her as well. And when she saw how Sowon looked genuinely happy eating it, she felt a tug on her heart. Unconsciously, Eunha grinned, wide.

--

“Ah! I forget!” Eunha exclaimed.

“Eh? What is it?” Sowon asked.

“Your birthday candle! We should have blown it first before you started eating the cake.” Eunha looked at the empty box on Sowon’s hands. “Aww, and we have no cake left…”

Sowon laugh. “It’s okay. It isn’t important.”

“No, it is important. I have prepared the candle for you…” Eunha took out a handful of candles out of her pocket. “Alright, let’s go to an ice cream shop and light your candle there,” Eunha said with determination.

Sowon laughed.

--

“Make a wish before you blow it, unnie!” Eunha told Sowon.

“Okay,” Sowon nodded. She closed her eyes to make a wish. Moments later, she opened her eyes. Smiling and blowing her candles. She gave the first bite of the ice cream to Eunha who happily accepted it.

On their way home, Eunha looked curiously at Sowon. “Unnie, what are you wishing for?” Eunha asked.

Sowon smiled. “If I tell you, it won’t come true.”

“…. Eeh… but, I am curious about it.”

Sowon didn’t answer, instead, she took hold of Eunha’s hand and started to hum.

--

Eunha was awaked from her daydream by Sowon’s startled yelp. Eunha run to the kitchen as fast as her tiny legs could do. “Unnie, are you alright?!”

Sowon was looking like a cornered deer. She pointed at the corner of the kitchen with trembling hand. Eunha followed the way Sowon has pointed. A chocolate flying BUG! Eunha looked around her. She took a magazine. In a flash, she killed the bug with it and calmly disposed it.

“Unnie, it’s safe. Open your eyes already~” Eunha said.

“Really?” Sowon looked around cautiously. A few minutes later, smiling brightly, she hugged Eunha and lifted her up.

“Whoa, calm down, unnie,” Eunha said, startled by the sudden gesture.

“My hero! Thank you!” Sowon squealed in delight.

Eunha laughed.  “Anytime~”

--

“See, you should have let me watch you cook, unnie,” Eunha started to say, “That way, I could protect you.”

“Eh? But, you already did? Just now~” Sowon said, “See that? You don’t have to watch me.”

“Pssh, that thing’s friends may appear again...” Eunha waved her hand. Unbothered by what Sowon said, she took a seat at the dining table.

She saw Sowon shook her head but otherwise didn’t tell her to leave again. Probably afraid if said bug’s friends really do appear again, judging by how much more cautious Sowon was being when she cooked. Always looking suspiciously at every corner of the kitchen.

--

Watching at how confident Sowon was cooking. Eunha fleetingly thought that someday Sowon was going to be a good mother. She could cook well, she is good with kids, and she is great at taking care of others. Somehow, it just didn’t feel right for her. Her stomach doesn’t feel good. It feels like she’s been dropping down from a height. Frightening and uncomfortable.

--

“What are you frowning for?” Sowon asked while flicking Eunha’s forehead.

Startled, Eunha tried to hit Sowon who has been stepping back from Eunha. “Unnie!”

“What? You are frowning and looking like you wanted to go to the toilet or something similar. What is it?”

“I…” Eunha didn’t want to explain that she didn’t want Sowon to marry but it also feel too egoist of her. So, she settled for the next thing she has been curious before. “What are you wishing for your birthday, unnie?”

Sowon titled her head. “Heh? That?”

Eunha nodded. Sowon was about to answer when they heard Umji’s voice. “Sowon-unnie, I am home.”

“Oh, Umji, unnie is here,” Sowon answered.

--

“Eunha-unnie! Sowon-unnie! Guess what?!” Umji excitedly said during dinner.

“What is it? What is it?” Eunha replied, just as excited as Umji.

“I get the highest mark at the exams!”

“Really?! Wow, you are awesome!” Eunha cheered.

“Yay! That’s my little sister!” Sowon beamed at Umji.

Umji laughed. Her eyes were sparkling.

“Umji, guess what!?” Eunha asked.

“Eh? What? What?! Are you two dating?!!” Umji asked excitedly. She clapped her hands. “Finally!”

“Eh?”

“What?”

Chorus of confusion was coming from both Eunha and Sowon. Umji looked at them. She stopped clapping. “It isn’t that? You two aren’t dating?” She asked, somehow disappointed.

“Uh, no?” Sowon replied.

“Sowon-unnie and I are best friends, Umji. We don’t date,” Eunha said. She looked at Sowon.

“Yeah, Eunha is right. We are only best friends, Umji. Anyway, that isn’t what Eunha wanted to say.”

“Oh…” was all Umji said.

“We get you a present! We are sure that you will pass your exams with flying colors so we prepared a gift!” Eunha said. “Ta da!” she gave the gift she has been carefully wrapped to Umji.

“OH!” Umji exclaimed at the gift. It was a big elephant doll. “Aww, thank you, unnies!”

Sowon was laughing while Eunha looked at Umji happily.

--

Umji was approaching Eunha who looked deep in thought when she’s watching television while Sowon was washing the dishes. “A penny for you thought, unnie? I don’t think this show is that serious, it is a variety show? It’s supposed to be funny.”

Eunha chuckled. “Nah, it’s nothing.”

“Come, tell me, unnie. I am not as good as Sowon-unnie but I could lend you my ear.”

Eunha was looking at her lap. “It’s really nothing. I am just curious about Sowon-unnie’s wish. It’s close to her birthday, I want to give her something she has been wishing for.”

It’s Umji’s turned to chuckle. “Ah, seriously you two are hopeless…”

“Huh?”

“Nothing, unnie,” Umji shook her head. “Say, you want to give her something she has been wishing for. I think I know what she wanted. What she always wanted.”

Eunha turned to Umji so fast. “Eh?! Tell me?!”

“I think you are the only one who could fulfill it actually. She has always been wishing for the same thing every year.”

“What is it?”

“Her happiness,” Umji said. Smiling.

“Her happiness?”

“And what will make her happy, that one, you should ask her yourself, unnie.” Umji patted Eunha’s shoulder. “Her answer might surprise you.” Umji smiled.

“Huh?”

Eunha watched Umji walked to her room. She turned her eyes toward Sowon who was in the middle of washing the dishes. She wishes for her happiness… is she not happy right now?

--

“Unnie, let me help you,” Eunha said. She started to wash the dishes as well.

“Thank you,” Sowon smiled.

--

Eunha’s mind kept on rewinding to her conversation with Umji. Until the glass she has been washing fall onto the ground and smashed into pieces.

“God, sorry… sorry,” Eunha bent down to pick the broken glasses yet she hurt her finger with it.

--

Sowon was looking at Eunha. She has finished applying the medicine on Eunha’s finger. “Are you okay? Why are you spacing out like that? Is your finger still hurt?”

“I am okay… it’s a bit painful though…”

“Hm… I think I know how to lessen the pain.” With that said, Sowon blown on Eunha’s finger.

“Unnie?!” Eunha was blushing.

“I am used to do that to Umji when she hurt herself. Does it work?”

“I—I don’t know….?” Eunha weakly said.

Then Sowon kissed Eunha’s finger. “This one usually does the trick.” Sowon kissed it again.

By this time, Eunha was already looking like a boiled shrimp.

“It—it’s already fine, unnie—not—not hurting anymore…” Eunha stammered.

Sowon smiled. “Now, tell me again why are you spacing out before? You haven’t answered it.”

“Oh… I am just—you—unnie, what kind of things that will make you happy?”

Sowon titled her head.

“I am just… I want to make you happy… I—unnie, what is it that you are wishing for?”

“Could you fulfill it, once you know, Eunha?”

Eunha nodded. “Anything you wished for, unnie.”

Sowon smiled. “In that case, you have to be the happiest person on earth, Eunha. That will make me happy.”

“Unnie… why… you—“ Eunha tried to make sense of Sowon’s words. “You shouldn’t—shouldn’t put your happiness on someone else. That—isn’t that what you told me before when I wept about Yerin-unnie…?”

Sowon nodded. “I don’t put my happiness on someone else. I am happy when people I loves feel happy. Don’t you feel like that too, Eunha?” Sowon tucked Eunha’s hair behind her ear. “When you see people you care about smiling happily, laughing happily, when they are happy. Don’t you feel happy too?”

Eunha caught Sowon’s gaze. “Unnie…”

“I love you, of course I feel happy when you are happy.” Sowon smiled.

“Sowon-unnie…”

--

“Ahem…I hear some yelp so I came here. But, you two looked comfy…” Umji said.

“Comfy what—“ Eunha tried to ask when Umji cut her words.

“You see, from my point of view. You are holding onto Sowon-unnie’s hand. And you are gazing into each other eyes deeply… kind of looking like at get up where you two are going for a kiss, don’t you think?” Umji explained.

Eunha’s cheeks were flushed a deep shade of pink.

“It isn’t like that, Umji. Her finger was bleeding from the broken glasses, I was just putting medicine on it,” Sowon said.

“Oh…” Umji sounded disappointed.

“Oi, kid! You are watching too many movies…” Sowon said.

Yet, when Eunha’s eyes caught Umji’s knowing gaze, she blushed a deeper shade of red.

 

She feels happy when people she loves are happy… And, my happiness…? Why is my happiness matter so much for her…? Unnie is too kind… we're just best friend yet, yet my happiness… Why is she like that? Why is this heart of mine started to throb painfully like this?

 

--

 

 

A/N : hello~  i hope you will enjoy this one too :)

and thank you for reading and taking some time commenting!