seven

Work in Progress [DISCONTINUED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

---

jongin and reasons

Jongin had shown up in front of Chanyeol's door dressed casually, and the initial conversation had been rather awkward. They would say something and then fall back into uncomfortable silence. But it had not taken long (with the help of a couple glasses of fine wine), thankfully, for the two to feel comfortable in each other's presence again. After all, they had known each other since they were toddlers.

"Okay, okay, listen-" Jongin starts, nearly four hours into their meetup, lounging on Chanyeol's couch, laughing, cheeks slightly flushed, "so, when I was still in Milan, there was this really cute guy. He had these adorable eyes and he was so nice, and he would help me with the language when I couldn't understand anything, and, oh my god, his smile!" 

Chanyeol laughs, "His name?"

"Kyungsoo. And he had the sweetest laugh, and-" 

Chanyeol just listens, amused and content with the familiarity of all this - of Jongin recounting his little stories and maybe getting a bit carried away, of late-night talks about anything and everything, of being able to always count on each other when they needed help.

They might not be the bestest of friends like they were years ago, just yet, but they were getting there. He hadn't pressed for details on why Jongin had disappeared so suddenly and without notice during the four years - it felt just a bit too soon for that. 

 

He's scared that when he asks, everything that they've started building up again would crash and burn. 

 

"-I think," Jongin is saying, "He might have returned to Korea! I'm not sure where he is right now though..." 

"Right, and you're totally not going to go and stalk him," Chanyeol teases, eyebrow raised. 

"Park Chanyeol," Jongin says threateningly, lifting up a pillow. 

"Kim Jongin," Chanyeol laughs. "Alright, alright, so you're not going to stalk him. You're just... interested?" 

"Right?" the younger agrees, pleased. "It's not stalking, Chanyeol." 

Chanyeol laughs, "Right." 

Jongin pauses, watching Chanyeol for a bit before his lips curve up into a mischevious smirk, "So.... anybody that you're interested in?" 

"No," Chanyeol denies as habit. He corrects as an afterthought with an image of Baekhyun flashing through his head, "Actually, maybe." 

Jongin bursts out laughing. "No way! Serious? Who has this luck?"

Chanyeol makes a face but answers his question anyways. "Byun Baekhyun. If you've heard of him?" 

A pause, and then, "NO ING WAYYYY!"

Jongin leaps up from his spot on the sofa. "Baekhyun? Byun Baekhyun? Soo's talked about him before!" He starts pacing up and down the room, practically shaking with excitement. "Oh my god, you have to bring me to meet him! He might know where Kyungsoo is!" 

"Right, and you were saying that you totally weren't a stalker," Chanyeol says dryly. "I feel used." 

"Okay, okay, geez," Jongin says, plopping back down on Chanyeol's sofa. "But you have to bring me to meet this Byun boy." 

Their conversation is interrupted by the ringing of Jongin's cellphone. "Hello?" he answers.

He stands up and paces around the room, eventually pausing by the window as he surveys the night view of Seoul. His expression is different, guarded and cold. 

It's such a strange experience for Chanyeol - that shift from the Jongin he knew as a teenager to this one, who stands with his back straight and a frown etched into his face. 

 

It's startlingly unfamiliar. 

 

Jongin had been the youngest, save for Sehun. He had bountiful energy, and seemed to overflow of positivity. He was the kind dongsaeng who bought his hyungs lemonade when they were studying together for finals, who danced with such radiance on stage and smiled with equal radiance off stage. This Jongin was still Jongin, but he had grown up too fast. 

Chanyeol ached to know what had pushed their maknae to such lengths, until he seemed no longer like himself and instead like every other businessman who faced the cold, hard world. 

 

"Okay. Tell Mr. Lee that we need to improve the recruitment process as soon as possible," Jongin was saying. The person on the other line says something which the Kim heir acknowledges with a hum, and then hangs up.

 

"Sorry 'bout that," Jongin says apologetically, sliding his phone back into his pocket. "We're trying to recruit new talents so we can push more artists out, but so far, we haven't found any promising individuals yet. 

He sighs, and threads his hand through his hair. "Stress," he groans. 

Chanyeol can only laugh, because he knows full well what it feels like.

"You know, I bet Soo would be a great singer. I mean, I know he's already a great singer, but I'm talking about on stage. He's such an amazing person that I bet everybody would fall in love with him immediately." 

Chanyeol notes in the back of his mind, how ing whipped Jongin actually is, but his main thoughts stray towards a certain short boy who sings with a voice of honey. 

"Baekhyun would be a good singer too," he says. 

A moment of silence, and then a lightbulb goes off in his mind.

"You should recruit Baekhyun!" 

Jongin shoots him a doubtful look. "Are you sure it's not just your bias towards him talking right now?" 

"Are you questioning my judgement?" Chanyeol quips back. 

"Frankly, yes," Jongin says, "but I mean, he can definitely try out. Anybody can audition." 

The Park heir grins, eager to go home and share the good news, but something in him stops him from doing so. "I think... I think it would be better if you got your scouts to do it."

"Why?"

"Baekhyun is ... not... I just don't think that it'll be a good idea." 

Jongin studies him for a moment thoughtfully, before he hums in acknowledgement. "Give me his information and I'll send some of the scouts over." 

"Byun Baekhyun. Age ... ah , um... twenty...one? He's short. Really fluffy hair. Pretty ... also handsome? Uh... likes cookies? I really don't know what to tell you. He stands out, trust me." 

"Alright," Jongin says in amusement. "I''ll tell my scouts to look for a short boy with fluffy hair who likes cookies. Wonderful, really."

"Wonderful," Chanyeol agrees. "I'll introduce you to him one day, and then you'll see what I mean."

"When is this one day? You've really piqued my curiosity about this boy who has Park Chanyeol running circles around him."

"He's actually just next door." 

"He's — he's your ing neighbour?!" 

"Problem?"

"Well, not particularly, but doesn't that mean he's... I mean, shouldn't he be able to debut if he wants to? To live here... he's certainly not lacking in money."

"Well, that's one way to put it," Chanyeol says dryly. "I don't know why he hasn't been able to debut, or at least to work for one of these companies, but I think it has something to do with his dad." 

"His dad?"

"Byun Joomin? Heard of him?" 

Jongin pauses, and stares at Chanyeol disbelievingly. "Goddamn, Chanyeol. I'm not ing recruiting the son of Byun Joomin."

"Why not? I don't understand — is this what he's talking about when he s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter