09. Beautiful Stranger

One Truth and A Thousand Lies

Finding my room in ultimate darkness was a difficult task. I wouldn’t want Dad to find out that I actually snuck out or even worse, my overprotective brother. He’s even scarier than my Dad. I quickly changed into my panda pyjamas Tao gave me for my eighteenth birthday and slept.

When I woke up the next day, I had a strange flashback of the dream I had yesterday night. Wait, was it a dream or was it real?

*flashback*

I felt a pair of lips kissing my forehead.

“Hmm,” I sighed in my sleep. The kiss was like a sub-conscious dream. I opened my eyes slowly. “Oppa?” I asked sleepily. The kisser seemed shock to have woken me up. It shocked him even more that I could recognise him in my sleepy state.

“Oppa, why are you here?” I asked again.

“To make sure you’re alright,” he answered. His voice was deep and dream-like. “I waited for you to come home just now. Tell me where you go next time,” he said calmly. I nodded and yawned. He chuckled at my reaction.

“Sleep, my dear sister. Sleep,” his voice was like a lullaby, soothing to my ears. Before he left I heard him say something. I wasn’t quite sure he was talking to me or not. He said something like this, “Finally that plucked up his courage to make the first move,” he muttered.

*flashback ended*

What did he mean? Sheesh! People are starting to confuse me. This bad. I got ready to school quickly, afraid to be late. It’s going to ruin L’s  first of me. Wait a second! Since when do I care so much of first impressions? Nonetheless, I arrived a good 10 minutes earlier that the appointed time.

The piano room is eerily quiet but I love silence when I need to think. The piano really caught my eye. It looks so grand in the middle of the spacious room. I decided to play one of my all-time favourite piece by a pianist named Yiruma. I was so engrossed playing the piano, pouring my feelings out, that I didn’t notice someone standing behind me. if I knew someone was watching me, I wouldn’t be too emotional. It made me feel vulnerable, breakable and fragile.

“Are you done with that?” a voice asked.

I scrambled up from the piano seat and wiped away my tears, surprised to find someone behind me. “Oh, it’s just you,” I mumbled softly.

“Did you do any research?”he questioned.

“Yup. I don’t really know what genre you like but what I heard is that infinite is preparing a variety of genres for their debut next year,” I said tiredly. First thing in the morning and he’s questioning me like a police officer.

“I can do with any genre,” he eyed me.

“I want acoustic. Acoustic would do. Besides you can play the guitar, right?” I slurred all my words.

“You really did some research? Impressive,” his voice full of sarcasm. He was underestimating my capabilities.

“Yeah, I did. Let’s start,” I muttered and gave him a look. Who does he think I am? For all I care, I can slit his throat right now.

He took out some music sheets and passed it to me. Looks like he already started on the assignment… without me. “I penned down some of the tunes I had in my head yesterday. Maybe it might help,” he explained.

“Next time we do things like this together. We can start by writing the lyrics together,” I clearly emphasised the word ‘together’. I don’t want him doing all the work. If he still doesn’t get what I’m saying, he’s really dense. I played the notes that he wrote. It was beautiful. Just the way I like it. I finished playing the piece with a smile. I took a peek at his face. He seemed impressed with his work.

“ You’re a genius,” I commented and gave a sincere smile. He returned a charming smile that made my heart skip a beat. “Don’t smile like that ever again. I’m not like your fangirls,” I frowned at him.

“Why?”his left eyebrow arched up as he look at me questioningly.

“B-because you m-make me nervous,” I stammered. . I stammered. What the hell, what the hell, what the hell..   I’m dead. Officially dead.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I won’t do that again. I promise,” he said.

In the next hour before school officially starts, both L and I were busy doing our own things. I was penning my thoughts into my diary. L was busy listening to his songs with headphones on. Looks like he’s sleeping. Curious, I crawled towards him and stared closer at his face that was vaguely familiar. His eyes, his nose, his lips. Everything about him was strangely compelling.

“I know I’m beautiful,” he spoke up, eyes still closed. He must’ve sensed me. I felt adrenaline in my veins and I know I’m blushing.

I took off his headphone boldly and whispered into his ear, “Don’t flatter yourself too much. Besides you’re just a stranger to me”.

“No. I’m not just any stranger. I’m a beautiful stranger. Maybe the most beautiful one you’ve ever laid eyes on,” he stated, opening his eyes, bearing no expression as he looked at me. I pouted at his answer. He got that right.

“Yeah, you’re the beautiful stranger,” I whispered to myself.


hey peeps! i've written until chapter 13 and i'm gonna update everything tomorrow.. if i can. enjoy♥