07. Mysterious Man

One Truth and A Thousand Lies

"Hey, L-ssi, when should we start the assignment?" I asked in the most cheerful voice I can muster. School ended hours ago. You know what? I have exactly the same classes as my vocal partner, L. The thing is, I've been following this kid around for the past hour, bugging him at every possible chance I can. He's pretty unresponsive, I tell you. He's just stoning wherever he went. Face free of expression.

I tried my luck once again." DUDE, I'M TALKING TO YOU!" I yelled in frustration.

The way he responded really shocked me. He pushed me against a wall, leaving no loopholes for escape, and leaned in closer. His face inches away from mine, lips centimetres away. His lips, his lips, his lips...

"Stop annoying me. It's already bad enough we're paired up together. I know you. You're not Song EunMi," he stared into my eys." And you're better than that, my dear," he whispered into my ears.

That voice. that sweet voice saying 'my dear'. I've heard it before. Somewhere. I tried hard to remember but I couldn’t.

“You don’t remember me, do you?” a sad smile formed on his lips. “ You’re a spy. You love pancakes. You double-knot your shoelaces. You don’t take sugar in your tea. You sleep with a night light on. You’re afraid of fire. You’re born on 20th December 1993,” he said in a breath.

It scares me that he knows a lot about me. Even the spy thingy. Is he a psychic or what? Looking at my reaction, he knew he must’ve scare me pretty bad. He sighed and let go of me. He took a deep breath and covered his face with his palms. He must be thinking hard, making a decision or something. I can tell from the look of his face. It’s as if he’s debating whether he should tell me a big secret or not. Turns out, he’s even more mysterious than weird. His head snapped up, displaying the coldest stare I’ve ever seen. He’s really hard to read at times. Wonder what he’s thinking.

“I’m sorry, HwaYoung. Meet me at 8am tomorrow. We’ll start then. In the meantime, do some research. Remember, 8am, piano room,” with that, he left me standing there dumbfounded. Realisation hit me as soon as he left.

He knew my name.