08. My Caramel Macchiato

One Truth and A Thousand Lies

Took me a whole night to figure out really. I still can’t. who was that L kid? He seems to know me very well. Even my name, what I like and so on. I still couldn’t remember a thing. I can’t deny the fact that he creep the hell out of me. But, there’s something comforting about that. I guess I’ll call my bestfriend, Sehun.

“Hey, Hwayoung, whaddup?” Chanyeol’s voice was at the end of the line.

“Channie oppa, Please let me talk to Sehun. Jebal,” I pleaded in my sweetest voice.

“Yo. Sehun your girlfriend’s calling,” I could hear Chanyeol’s voice shouting for Sehun.

“Dude, stop it. She’s my bestfriend,” Sehun’s voice was getting louder.  “Oh, hey youngie. I’m at your service,” he said in his laid back voice.

“Erm, Hunnie, can I ask a favour of you?” I asked shamelessly.

Thirty minutes later, we’re outside my favourite coffeehouse.

“I didn’t expect this, Youngie. Won’t your dad worry about you? It’s kinda late, you know,” he stated bluntly. Concern was written all over his handsome face.

“Hunnie, my dad never once cared. You know that. Anyways, dude, you just had to bring them along,” I muttered.

“They wanted to tag along like little kids,” he whined and pouted.

I stared at him, then Kris then Luhan, Tao and D.O.

“A-yo wassup Youngie. Missed you truckloads,” Kris hugged me ever so tightly and I smiled.

“Hello Hwayoung,” Tao’s voice was music to my ears. I kissed his cheek and he turned red like a tomato. I like teasing him.

“Hi baby. Missed you more than Kris did,” Luhan hugged my hips close to his and kissed my cheek. Now, it was my turn to blush.

D.O. and I exchanged hellos and we went in for a drink.

1 Americano. 2 lattes. 1 café mocha. 2 caramel macchiato.

“What is it you want to talk about, darling?” Sehun eyed me as he sipped his latte.

“A kid at my new school. He’s mysterious,” I sighed.

“A boy? My baby’s growing up,” a comment from Luhan. HAHA. He’s not much older than me yet he calls me baby. I secretly like it. Promise me not to tell anyone, okay?

“What did he do?” D.O. spoke up. He rarely does. It makes me feel special.

“He said he knew me. He knows everything about me. It’s pretty creepy,” I sounded exasperated and I know I am.

“Mind to tell me his name?” Kris asked with his deep, y voice.

“L. Lkim from Infinite. He asks me if I could remember him,” I explained, feeling tension growing in the air.

Kris, Sehun, Tao, Luhan and D.O. were looking at each other back and forth. They knew something. Must be very important for me not to know. I have a hunch on that. They were deciding something. Shaking and nodding, agreeing and disagreeing on things I know not.

“Ignore him entirely,” Sehun’s firm warning made me wonder.

“I just can’t ignore him, Hunnie. I have a project together with him. Tell me who Lkim is,” I frowned, eyebrow furrowed, lips pouting. “Tell me who’s Lkim,” I repeated when no one answered.

All 5 sighed at once. “We can’t. Sorry darls,” Kris apologised.

“It’s OK. Must be bad, huh? Bad enough not to hurt me,” I smiled widely, knowing it must’ve been hard on them. I tried not to push it. “I love you guys,” I hugged Luhan who was the closest to me.

Sehun made them leave first. He walked me home, hand in hand, fingers intertwined, and I felt safe and sound. Insecurity is not a feeling I have around Sehun. He’s been my best friend since we could barely walk. He’s the son of my mom’s best friend. And I’m proud to say I love him.

“Hunnie, was it that bad?” I took a peek at his good-looking face. One look and I know I’m swooning inside. I like everything about him. Especially his adorable lisp which he considers to be a flaw.

“Pretty bad. Look, I don’t want you getting stressed up, alright? Let’s not talk about it,” he looked tired. Tired of the topic that I keep pestering him of.

“Fine Hunnie. I’m glad I have you,” I gave his hand a squeeze.

I know a smile was forming on his lips even if I wasn’t looking. “Me too,” was all his whispered.

It was eleven pm and I was standing with Sehun on my front porch. I bet it’s OK for Sehun to send me home. He lives only 5 houses away from mine anyway.

“Thank you for tolerating my nonsense,” I look into his pretty eyes. Those big brown orbs of his as he stared into mine. His gaze was intense as it bore on mine.

“Anything for you. If you need me, call me up, okay? Listen, about that kid, don’t think too much,” he advised and hugged me tight. What he did after the hug was totally unexpected. He leaned in and kiss my lips. His soft, warm lips on mine. Those lips that I never dared to touch before. I could feel him smiling as he kissed me. It felt blissful under the like the night. He was my first kiss under the vast night sky and I would definitely remember this day.

When he pulled away, I felt disjointed from the world I imagined to be in. “Better safe than sorry. Good night, Hwayoung-ah,” he whispered , his lips brushing against mine. I stood on the front lawn and watch as he walked away. I touch my lips, the feeling of Sehun’s kiss lingering on mine as if it was imprinted on.

 I definitely knew what he meant. He loved me and I loved him too. He knew it was unlikely that we would be together, seeing that my love for him was just as a friend. “Better safe than sorry,” his words replaying in my ear. The kiss. It was equivalent to an ‘I love you’.

Oh Sehun. I love you, my best friend.