Runner 14

Run to You

“What?! Are you serious?!”

Inyoung nods her head. “Of course… Jaebum oppa told me. But don’t you feel weird? They already broke up but why she’s acting like they’re still in a relationship yesterday?”

I’m really surprised to hear this. Youngjae sunbae and Eunji unnie already broke up? Really?

Inyoung nudges me, “Ya! What’s wrong? You look so shock… don’t you think it’s your chance right now?” she wiggles her eyebrows to me. I frown, “It’s not something to make fun of, you know”

Inyoung pouts as she looks defeated, “Sorry, just saying though…” she takes her bag then takes out her book. I copy her acts too as say, “Did he say the reason? Why they broke up?”

Inyoung gives me her smirks as if knowing that I want the details. She shakes her head then rubs her chin, “No, Jaebum oppa has gone too far by telling me.” She grins widely, “I bet he’ll get some trouble from Youngjae sunbae if he told me more about it.”

I am really curious now but I can’t ask him about it moreover ask Eunji unnie. I sigh then drift my eyes to the window. The field looks empty right now. Is he alright? It must be hurt for both of them despite whatever reason they had to do so. I know his love for her is so big as he’s willing to sacrifice himself to save her at that time. Maybe it was not a break up, maybe they just need take a break.

I get my sense back as my phone beeps. Apparently there is a new message. I open it then smile after seeing the messenger.

“Who is that?” Inyoung looks at me then my phone.

“It’s Junhong. He’ll come here to meet me after the school is over.” I tell her as I put my phone back to my bag. She frowns, “But you have a photo session with Youngjae sunbae, don’t you?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don’t know how long I can use this session just to see him. Honestly now I do have enough his photos to choose but this chance with him; see his face, talk to him, laugh and others, I can not just let it go. I casually take my usual spot near his bench. He smiles as he sees me. This is like our time, our meeting that anyone can’t bother it. Well, except one person.

“Hey, Boram!”

I turn my head and there Eunji unnie is here already. She takes a place beside me. I smile at her but quickly focus on my camera again. I wish I knew she’d come here today but who am I to forbid her to come here? Even Youngjae sunbae doesn’t seem bother about it. I let out a tiny sigh. I really can’t control myself. Get a grip Jeon Boram!

“Is there anything wrong?”

I turn my head once again. “Huh?”

She looks at me for a while, “Am I bothering you?”

I quickly shake my head. “No, Eunji unnie. It’s not like that. I … uhm suddenly remember about my homework.” I give her an awkward smile and praying that she can buy my lie. Actually I don’t mind to see her, but the way she acted in front of Youngjae sunbae yesterday made me feel small. I don’t know if I’m being too sensitive or what but I really don’t like that feeling and I don’t want to feel it anymore. She just smiles then turns her head to the field, where Youngjae sunbae is practicing. “How did you meet Youngjae, Boram?”

She asks the question out of the blue. I’m confused to what this conversation will lead. “Didn’t Youngjae sunbae tell you?”

She smiles while fixing her sitting. “Yes, but I want to hear from you.”

I tell her the truth, how the first time I met him. She’s listening to my story while smiling in a while. “It’s really Youngjae then. I met him because of the food as well…” she continues as she recalled it. “… At that time, we’re both still the freshmen. I was one of the members of my school’s committee when Youngjae had his running match that was held in my school. He and his friend came to us and asking about the food that they have should get. I told him we have given the needs to all of the participants but he insisted that he and his friend haven’t gotten them at all. We argued but then one of my friend told me that she forgot to write their names on the list. I was really ashamed and then apologized for being careless. He forgave me but then came again and again just to ask anything, about the schedule, the food and others… I just knew that that was his strategy to talk to me…” she smiles then sighs while looking down.

I was listening the whole time but what I suppose to do or say? I look down to my camera. Why suddenly she says it to me?

She straightens her body while says, “I know you must know that Youngjae and I have broken up, right?”

I baffle as my eyes widen, “Uh, it’s… I’m sorry to hear th-”

Before I can finish my words, she quickly turns her body to me then takes my hands, “Please do me a favor Boram… Please help me to get him back!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 I can see the coach dismisses Youngjae sunbae and other runners from my spot. Then he leisurely walks to his bench. I also can see his piercing eyes. I look at Youngjae sunbae and Eunji unnie in turn. What do I suppose to do now?

He sits on the bench while taking his towel. I take the pocari frrom my bag but before I give it to him, I turn my body and give it to Eunji unnie. She’s confused at first but then understands after I signal her to give it to Youngjae sunbae. She approaches and greets him but he doesn’t even give Eunji unnie a single look, just taking the bottle then drinking it. I feel bad for her as the atmosphere suddenly becomes tense. To break the ice, I give him my camera then ask his opinion about the photos that I just took. He smiles occasionally and gives his opinions.

Suddenly my phone beeps. I take it out of my pocket then open it.

Sorry for making you waiting, I’m outside now :)

I chuckle as I see the message. I type the answer then put my phone back.

“I’m sorry sunbae I have to go now.”

He frowns while giving me the camera. “Do you have any promise?”

I smile, “Kind of.” I take the camera then excuse myself to both of them. What I don’t know that Youngjae sunbae sees me walking to the gate then smiling as I see Junhong.