Runner 12

Run to You

Youngjae’s POV

I snicker when hearing it, it sounds like she rubs some sugar to my wound, hoping it would heal. “I don’t have time to hear that” I stand up then try to take my bag when I feel someone hugs me from back. “Please Youngjae, I’m sorry. I’ve told you the truth. Please, forgive me. I… I only love you”

She hugs me tightly, as if is scared that I will run away but then when I recalled what she said a few days ago about Junhyung and her, about my encounter with Junhyung and his friends, I just can’t let it go. I take her hands off of me then turn my body. She looks up and I can see her tears. Even though I’m already hurt but seeing her crying in front of me, it’s even more hurt to me. I stare at her, how I love and respect her so much but as much as I feel it, the betrayed that she had done to me was left an empty hole that I myself couldn’t heal it yet.

“I’m sorry if I ever treat you bad. If I ever did something that make you sad… but I think for now, let’s just be friends.”

She burst into tears while covering her face. I hug her and feel like my tears will explode too. And just like that, my first love ends.

~~~~~~~~~~~

A few days ago…

I knocked on my principal’s door. Then, I hear Mr. Jung’s voice asked me to come. I grab the handle and open it. I saw him sitting on his chair while checking some papers. He glanced over me and said, “Youngjae, please sit.”

I walked to sit on one of the sofa. I nervously rubbed my hands as I don’t know the reason why he wanted me to come to meet him in his office.

“Don’t be nervous Youngjae. I won’t bite you.” He said while standing up then went around his desk and sat across me. I smiled awkwardly and stopped rubbing my hands. “Mr. Park told me that you want to see me, sir”

He nodded then leaned his back to the sofa. “I think I just go to the point, okay.” I just nodded as I didn’t understand where this conversation would be going. He continued, “You know that Eunji is my only child, right?” I nodded again. So, it was about Eunji. I knew that he knew my relationship between his daughter and I. As Eunji told me that she has told her father about our relationship.

He tapped the arm sofa while saying, “I want you to break up with my daughter.” Like being strike by lightning, I froze for a while, I felt like I’ve misheard it. “Pardon, sir? Could you-“

“Break up with Eunji, my daughter.” He said while emphasizing the last sentence. “I was thankful you saved her life at that time but I can’t give you my blessing from now on. I know she’ll hurt but time will heal everything. She’s strong… I know it.”

I was speechless. I feel like I couldn’t believe of what he said, “But why? I’ve never hurt her and I won’t… I … I love her, sir… I…”

He sighed then got up from his seat and walked towards the window. He was looking outside for a while then looked at me, “I know it Youngjae… but what you and Eunji are feeling now is temporary. She’ll continue her study abroad and she’ll have a bright future to get later on… don’t burden her with your problem, can you?”

I looked down while clenching my fists. So many questions running out of my mind. I still don’t get it why suddenly he asked me to do it. Then I heard his voice again, “I know your situation, don’t worry I’ll take the responsible of what you need during your treatment. I’ll pay it all but in return I want you to leave her.”

I closed Mr, Jung’s office door. I felt like light headed as my brain trying to process of what had done.

“… She’ll continue her study abroad and she’ll have a bright future to get later on… don’t burden her with your problem, can you?”

The words he uttered kept ringing in my head. What he said was the same as Junhyung said to me a couple days ago.

“I don’t know what you will do but what I can make sure is Eunji will come back to me. She just feel sorry for you. Don’t be such a burden, can you?”

Am I really such a burden for her?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Tell me the truth!” I demand her. She looked uneasy while fiddling her fingers. I knew her, that’s her habit if she felt uneasy of something.

“What Junhyung said to you?” She looked at me, but I still could see the uneasiness and was that guilty?

“Do you really date him? When I got struggle in the hospital to heal, to keep alive after the accident… you were cheating on me?”

She looked away, didn’t dare to look at me in the eyes. But without she answered it, I think I knew the answer. She opened but then closed it again a few times, maybe tried to find some excuses that I could buy it. I remained silent as I wanted her to tell me the truth. She finally opened while looking at me, “When you’re in the hospital, I felt like what had gotten in you was my fault and I had to take the responsibility of that. Many people said I was lucky to have a boyfriend like you, but I didn’t know what I was thinking at that time that I… I feel like it’s such a burden. I’m afraid that what… what I feel towards you was no more love but just a pity… a guilty. That’s when Junhyung came and I feel like … free.”

She sighed then with a teary eyes continue it, “I… I’m sorry Youngjae. I… I feel like telling you the truth a couple days ago. I wanted to break up with you but after… after seeing you smile because of someone else, I feel like… jealousy eaten me up. I don’t want to lose you. I know that for now… I still love you.”

So all this time, she wanted to break up with me then she got jealous of someone and tried to get me back? What kind of bull was that?

She walked towards me slowly. “I’m sorry Youngjae… I know I should’ve not done something like that. I regret it now, really… but what I feel towards Junhyung was different from you. I know that now. Please forgive me. I know you still love me. Please Youngjae…”

I didn’t know what to say. I felt like nausea after hearing what she said. I don’t want to hear anymore excuses she had. Then looking into her eyes, with my broken heart, I said, “Let’s break up!”