EIGHT

SILHOUETTE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It had been almost a week since Chanyeol last saw Baekhyun again. His bed was empty. There was only silence that filled his bedroom. How he missed Baekhyun’s cheerful voice. Sometimes, he spends his time lying on his bed and thinking back to the memories he and Baekhyun once shared. Most nights, he drowned in the happy memories as he let his dreams take him far far away.

It was never the same at school anymore either. He missed having Baekhyun around. Even though people would look at him weirdly, at least he had his best friend’s company. There was no one else to joke with him or make him laugh. Kyungsoo tried his best to fill in the hole Baekhyun had left in Chanyeol’s heart. Chanyeol knew he was trying his best, but it was in vain.

Ever since Chanyeol returned from the cemetery, he had been digging up past news from the papers and online. He had watched the news footage over and over again until the scene embedded itself in his brain. He knew Kyungsoo told him the truth, but his heart didn’t want to believe it.

The word Byun Baekhyun kept flashing before his eyes as he read again and again the list of casualties from the incident. His photo appeared on the screen again and again as they reported the missing passengers. Chanyeol didn’t know how many times he has to watch to make himself believe. It had been countless and yet he was still watching it.

Baekhyun was gone. His whole family was gone. And Chanyeol was still here, wondering when his nightmare will ever end. He had been buying calendulas at the flower shop which Kyungsoo had brought him earlier and bringing them to the cemetery each and every morning. And every day, he shared his memories with Baekhyun as he talked about how his day had been and also about their past when Baekhyun was still here. He also told him how much he had missed him. Most of the time, Chanyeol would spend the whole day just sitting there by his gravestone. Only when the sun set that Chanyeol finally got up to go home.

“It’s been a week, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol whispered to the cold gravestone.

“Why haven’t you come to visit me?” his tears flowed down both of his cheeks, “Like always.”

Like how it had been for a week, there was no reply. Chanyeol should have gotten used to it by now. But as usual, he sobbed uncontrollably in front of the stone while carrying the bouquet of calendula in his hand.

When he lifted his head from his knees, he noticed that everything was orange. He turned to the sky. The sun had set upon the horizon. It was time to go home. Chanyeol had never felt so lonely. Sometimes, Kyungsoo offered to come to visit, to accompany him. But Chanyeol had turned down the offer. He couldn’t bring himself to enjoy anything anymore.

“Chanyeol?”

He wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter