The Right Thing

24Hours

 

The time Momo spent in trying to prepare herself for that conversation did nothing for her. She would always be nervous and scared about it. But she couldn't have it weigh down her heart any longer.

She sat in her bed with Jungwon beside her. He didn't understand what was going on and why Momo acted so different from her normal self. Her knees couldn't stop trembling and her chest was about to explode, even thought she hadn't even opened yet.

"Momo, are you okay?" He asked with a quirked eyebrow, but she didn't answer. "You're scaring me."

"T-There's something I need to tell you, Jungwon." Momo met his eyes.

"O...kay. I'm all ears." He encouraged.

"But first," Momo grabbed his hands. "I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry, but I need to tell you this, I need to take this weight off of my chest, and you have the right to know. But please, don't freak out, and let me explain everything before you speak."

Jungwon nodded and gulped. He never felt Momo's hands shake so much and he knew something big was coming. Something big and bad.

She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, opened but no words came out. She took another breath, even deeper and longer.

"Momo, it's okay, just spit it out."

She searched for courage in his eyes and when he smiled at her, she felt the tension on her muscles release slightly.

"I... Me and Myoui-chan, we... we kissed."

Momo automatically felt her heart much lighter just by being able to say it. His expression didn't change a bit. He kept staring into Momo's eyes with his lips in a straight line. Just like Momo asked, he was patiently waiting for her explanation.

"We were practicing the day before yesterday and I fell because of my knee, she was really close to me and, i-it just happened, in the heat of the moment. It didn't mean anything at all. And she hasn't talked to me since. She ignored me in project class yesterday and today, the whole day. She doesn't even look at me, so... I tried to talk to her and try to understand what happened and sort things out but she keeps avoiding me." 

Momo was impressed with how words flowed naturally and she felt confident about the outcome of the conversation. But when she looked at Jungwon again... She felt her heart clench.

He had an amused expression on his face. He was actually laughing.

"You're kidding, right? What a lame prank, Momo." He dismissed, shaking his head.

Momo's chin dropped. She had been nothing but honest so far, it took her all her strength to tell him what she just did, and he laughs at her?

"I'm... I'm not joking, Jungwon." Her tone turned even more serious. "Do you think I would joke about this?"

His laughs came to a stop. He looked into her eyes and Momo held his gaze. He searched for something in her expression that would tell him that she was joking. But there was nothing. She was dead serious.

Jungwon stood up and walked back and forth. Momo followed him with her eyes. Every time he took a heavy breath, Momo felt like he was stealing oxygen from her.

"So you... You kissed Mina?" He asked, and Momo could tell he was trying to remain calm.

"I-It wasn't me! It j-just happened."

"Okay but... why?!" Momo noticed a certain change in his tone. It became louder. 

"I-I don't know either." Momo chuckled nervously.

"There must be a reason, Momo! Would you kiss Tzuyu or Pinky?!"

"Of course not!"

"So, there has to be a reason. Do you like her?" His eyebrows quirked.

"Yes, she's my friend." Momo tried to appear natural and relaxed.

"You know that's not what I meant. Do you..." Jungwon stopped in his tracks and turned to return the stare. Momo heard him gulping. "Do you love her?"

"O-Of course not, Jungwon, w-what the ? That doesn't make any sense, why would I?" Momo's stomach tied itself in a knot.

"SO WHY?!"

Momo was taken aback with such reaction. She didn't expect him to actually yell at her. But she couldn't blame him, could she? She cheated on him, after all.

"Jungwon, I sweat to God, I-I don't know.  Some things just happen for no reason at all."

He kept quiet for a bit, his back facing Momo.

"You know, I'm not blind Momo."

"W-What do you mean?"

He turned around and stared straight into her eyes.

"Do you think I can't see it? I tried to ignore it and convince myself I was just imagining things, but how could I when you can't seem to stop talking about her, about how she's so talented, how she's so perfect, how much fun you have with her... So much you even forget about me." He said between his teeth.

Momo forgot how to breathe and her chin dropped. She had been that obvious all that time...?

"Why did you stop loving me? What does she have that I don't? What did she do to steal your love? To steal you from me?" His stiff body softened as well as his tone - his trembling voice showed he was about to cry.

Momo got up and stood close to him, grabbing his hands.

"Jungwon... There is nothing between me and Mina. I don't love her, I love you, and only you." She cupped his cheeks and gently raised his face so he could look at her. "I know that what I did was wrong, terribly wrong, and I regret it every second of my life since the moment it happened. I know you're mad and hurt, but I'm not going to say that I understand if you want to break up with me, because I really don't want you to. I'm sincerely asking you to forgive me, to give me another chance to show you how much I love and care for you. I don't want and I can't lose you. I don't know what I would do without you." Momo found herself crying over her speech. "I love you, Jungwon. Please, don't let a meaningless kiss ruin what we have."

Jungwon let himself cry with her. Carefully, Momo took a step closer and hugged him, burying her face on the crook of his neck. After a couple seconds, she felt two strong arms around her waist.

"I love you, Momo. Please, don't leave me." He begged in a whisper, caressing her neck.

Momo knew she did the right thing and took the right path – the one where she chose Jungwon over Mina. Because she knew no one would love her more than he did; Because he didn't deserve to end up alone; Because seeing the pain in his eyes and hearing the sadness in his voice made her heart ache like nothing else did. And unlike Mina, Jungwon would always be there for her and he would always love her. His love was certain, it was a safe haven. With him by her side, there was no risk worth taking.

Because taking a risk for Mina would just be another mistake in the gigantic pile of mistakes Momo had in her record. She'd had enough of making mistakes when she kissed Mina and ruined everything they could have for good. And she would take advantage of it to stay happy with Jungwon. Mina was only an obstacle to their relationship. The best thing Momo could do was ignore her – just as Mina had been doing. Pretend she doesn't exist. Cut ties with her. Only that way could Momo forget about those stupid feelings she had foolishly allowed to bloom. It was the only way Momo could forget about her. About the girl that entered her life and turned everything upside down.

She would forget Myoui Mina.

"Never." Momo whispered back.

And what a fool Momo was. Because nothing else in her life hurt as much as running away from her true happiness. She never thought that doing the right thing would hurt so much, to the point she wanted to die.

---

A/N: ......... C':  *runs and hides*