Something to Take Care Of

24Hours

 

Momo ruined everything. She cheated on Jungwon, and Mina left her. She would end up alone for sure. It was as if those words echoed inside her skull over and over again, drowning out the sounds of positive thoughts.

After Mina stormed off the dance studio, Momo sat on the floor for about ten minutes, without moving a muscle. Her mind was a blank space full of nothing but Mina's face. Momo could still feel Mina's lips on her, and she wished she could go back in time and repeat that moment over and over again. Because she knew it had been the first and last time she kissed the girl she loved.

It was as if she wasn't feeling anything but the pain in her knee. She got up with much effort, grabbed her phone and left the dance studio, almost limping. She wanted to lay down on her bed and sleep. Sleep to forget what happened. Sleep to dream about it, so she could wake up and tell herself it was just a dream. Or a nightmare, she wasn't sure.

Momo left the dance studio and headed to her room. As she passed by the living room, she hoped nobody was there to ask questions. But she was wrong.

"Oh my God, don't you have your own room, Sana?" Momo shouted at the couple.

Sana was sitting on the couch with Tzuyu on her lap, her hands already inside her shirt as they kissed intensely. Tzuyu jerked her head towards Momo, quickly withdrawing from her position and getting up, clearing .

"M-Momo, hey, shouldn't you be practicing with Mina?" Sana asked, getting up and fixing her messy clothes.

Why did Momo have to say anything? She should have just headed to her room in silence, but instead, she decided to pick on them. Because that sight finally awoke a feeling inside her after what happened – jealously. She wanted it too. And she had felt it so close...

"She... had to leave. Didn't you guys see her leaving?"

Tzuyu and Sana shared a look and both shook their heads.

"I guess she didn't want to disturb you. I'm going to my room, you can resume... whatever it is you were about to do." Momo's tone came out bitter without her noticing it.

She entered her room and closed the door with more strength than needed, making a loud noise. Her breath was unstable and her blood boiled in her veins. And she didn't quite know why. Her mind blamed Mina. She shouldn't have left like that. Wasn't she worried about Momo? Even knowing she was hurt, she left. She didn't give a about Momo’s feelings. She was selfish and childish. She didn't consider it would hurt her. And if she didn't want it to happen, why didn't she stop Momo from doing it?! She kissed her too! So, it was her fault.

None of those thoughts made any sense to Momo. But blaming her was the easiest way, right? Momo shouldn't have kissed her. It was entirely her stupid feeling’s fault. No, no. It was HER fault.

Her body fell into bed like a stone being thrown into the water. What should she do? Text her? Call her? Wait for the next day and talk to her? What about the performance? How would they perform after what happened? What if Mina didn't even want to look at her? Momo was going crazy with too many questions she couldn't answer.

To suppress those thoughts, her mind pictured herself breaking things or punching something. But she promised her sister and herself that she would learn to control her anger. So she pulled a blanket over her, and released her feelings through tears of sadness, anger, frustration, guilt, regret and anxiety.

Only when Momo woke up, the morning light was already filling her room thought the pink curtains, did she realize how exhausted she was the day before. It had been a long time since she slept so much. But then, she remembered why she went to bed so early. She grabbed her phone in hope to see a missed call or a text from Mina, but deep down she knew she would see nothing.

After a heavy sigh escaped through her lips, Momo got up, glad that her knee didn't hurt anymore. She walked down the stairs and a delicious scent of fresh pancakes reached her nose. Like she expected, her dad and sister were sitting and eating their breakfast. Sana was the first to acknowledge Momo's presence.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty. I made pancakes." Sana greeted with a warm smile, patting the chair beside her.

Momo gave her a small smile and sat down.

"Are you okay?" Her dad asked in concern.

"Y-Yes. I just didn't realize how tired I was yesterday after practice." Momo served herself.

"I tried to wake you up a couple times but I gave up." Sana chuckled. "How can you be such a heavy sleeper?"

Momo shrugged, munching on her food. With everything on her mind the day before, she had no idea how she slept so much and so peacefully.

Lots of sleep and a good, tasty meal was all she needed. She still didn't know what she was going to do when she saw Mina, but thinking about that wouldn't do any good, so she left it for when it actually had to happen.

---

When Momo entered the dance studio for Project class, every person's eyes fixed on her, with surprised faces. It was the first time Momo showed up in school since the accident, so it was only natural everyone would be happy to see her.

Well, not everyone. She thought she felt more confident and positive about whatever would to come, but that vanished as soon as her eyes found hers. While her classmates got up and surrounded Momo to greet her, Mina kept quiet near the corner of the room. Momo's heart thumped hard against her chest, but it soon stopped when Mina blatantly looked away. Momo felt her soul leave her body and her knees so weak she could actually have fallen to the floor if it wasn't for everyone around her and Sana's arm around her shoulders.

All the doubts and fears she fought back so hard throughout the day came back in a blink of an eye, leaving a knot on her stomach and dry. How was she suppose to dance with her when she didn't even want to look at her? How was she suppose to touch her and be so close to her?

"Welcome back, Hirai-san!" Yuta entered the room, making all his students snap their heads towards him. "I hope you're all as excited to show your performances as I am to see them!" He smiled.

Momo gulped and looked at her sister, hoping she would look and smile at her as a source of encouragement. Instead, Momo's eyes wandered further to find Mina again. This time, she could see a tinge of sadness in the depths of her eyes. Or maybe that was what Momo wanted to see.

She wanted Mina to regret what she did, she wanted Mina to come to her and apologize. Because when everything her eyes could see was her, her beauty, how perfect and right she was for her, she would give everything to be back at what they were before it happened. She wouldn't let a mistake ruin their relationship. The one mistake that Momo couldn't make.

Yuta's voice snapped Momo from her thoughts. The performances were about to start, so everyone sat down.

Her knees trembled more and more each passing second. She had no idea what was going to happen and what she was going to do when Yuta called her and Mina to perform. She was genuinely scared, and stage fright would never, ever go on the same sentence as Hirai Momo.

There were only two pairs left now – them, then Sana and Tzuyu. And it seemed like the whole universe was against her when Yuta called her sister and Tzuyu first. Did they really need to be the last goddamn performance?!

At least Momo could forget about it for 3 minutes while watching Sana and Tzuyu dance. They were really good and  deserved the round of applause in the end.

"And finally, Hirai-san and Myoui-san!"

Mina automatically got up, took off her shoes as they were going to perform barefoot, and stood in first position. Momo took a deep and slow breath and did the same. She had learned already that the more she told herself to focus, the more her mind would drift away. So, she emptied her mind and let the song, the rhythm and the lyrics control her body.

The images of the day before filled her mind when Momo cupped Mina's cheeks. She wished they were alone so she could kiss her again. And again, and again. But Mina's eyes told her something else. She seemed scared. She needed to seem scared for the performance, but... what was she really thinking?

 Momo kept a surprising focus as the performance went on, executing all her moves in the most precise way. Their moves together were in perfect synchronization and everyone was feeling what they should feel watching the performance. It was so intense it left all the students' hearts beating fast and holding their breaths. When they finished, it took a few seconds for everyone to burst in applause from how amazed they still were.

Momo smiled, amazed how well it went and how the images in her mind didn't affect her performance in the slightest. She looked back at Mina and found a small smile on her lips. It made Momo's smile turn into a bright grin, but it vanished just as fast when Mina found Momo's eyes and her smile turned into a frown. Mina walked back to sit at her spot near the corner as Momo followed her with her eyes.

"Hirai-san, you can sit too." Yuta said.

She nodded and sat next to her sister, who patted her back and whispered a 'that was amazing.', to which Momo answered with a forced smile.

Momo wanted to give her a real smile. She wanted to be happy for the performance that everyone loved. But her heart ached.

She tried to pay attention to Yuta's comments about every performance, but her eyes would always find Mina and that expression of hers – the one she didn't want to see, ever again. The one that made her hate her.

"As for Hirai-san and Myoui-san, what can I say..." Yuta said.  "Simply amazing! You had everything on point. From the song choice and the concept, to the choreo, the movements, the flow, the rhythm and your expressions got a lot better, especially yours, Myoui-san. I could really feel the fear and panic in your eyes." He did a small pause and looked at Momo. "And Hirai-san, I was really surprised you could do everything even after the accident. Even though you are more of a hip-hop and freestyle person, your contemporary skills were on point. So, congratulations to both of you. You should feel proud."

Even Yuta-sensei could feel fear and panic in Mina's eyes. As much as Momo tried to convince herself that it was just because of the performance, and she was only acting, a voice saying Mina was actually scared of her spoke louder. That performance represented an abusive relationship. So, that meant Momo was being abusive towards Mina? Was that kiss... abusive?

Yuta dismissed the students. Mina was the first to get up and storm off the room. Momo was ready to go after Mina and tell her everything. Apologize for the kiss and tell her how she really felt. It wouldn't do any good to keep hiding it. But she stopped on her tracks when she heard Yuta calling her. She cursed under her breath and bit her lower lip as she turned.

"I know the accident took a toll on your knee. I'm really glad you're okay now, but please be even more careful from now on. If you ever need to take more breaks on my classes, fell free to tell me."

"T-Thank you, Yuta-sensei."

"Now, go home and rest. You deserve it."

Momo smiled, bowed and left. Of course Mina wasn't anywhere to be seen anymore. She thought of where she could be. The lockers room, changing?

Everybody else from her class was there, except for Mina. She was about to leave to go look somewhere else when Sana grabbed her hand.

"If you're looking for Mina, she left already."

Momo sat on a bench and buried her face in her hands, her elbows supported on her knees. She wanted to cry, but not there.

Sana knew something was off. Very off. But she also didn't want to bring that up in there. They changed and headed outside.

"Let's have dinner out today, baby?" Tzuyu asked, clinging on Sana's arm.

"Sorry, not today, Tzuyu. Momo needs me." Sana whispered.

"What happened?"

"You didn't notice how Momo and Mina were acting towards each other in class? They were sitting far from each other, they didn't exchange a word, and Mina didn't smile once. Something definitely happened."

---

Momo rushed to her room as soon as they got home. Sana sighed. Her suspicions that something was up were confirmed with the fact Momo didn't grab food as soon as she got home. Sana prepared a toast and headed to her sister's room, knocking and letting herself in.

"I know you're hungry, so I made you toast." She said, closing the door and finding Momo laying on her bed.

Momo sat with crossed legs and stared at her sister. She sat beside her and handed her the plate.

"Eat it, you'll feel better."

She did so, and Sana waited until she finished eating - which wasn't a lot because Momo devoured it – to finally ask:

"What happened?"

Momo looked back at Sana for a couple seconds before her head dropped. Was she ready to tell Sana what happened?

"Me and Mina, we... we fought."

Sana sighed and shook her head.

"Again? What happened this time?"

Momo didn't think of an excuse. She really didn't need one, she only had to hide that little detail.

"Because I kept saying I was okay but my knee was hurting, so I fell after the jump and she freaked out, saying that I shouldn't hide my pain and I wasn't being honest and she wants me to trust her yadayada."

Sana shook her head again.

"Even after you'd fought about it already, you still did it. Why are you so stubborn? If she wants you to trust her, why can't you?"

"I-It's not that I don't trust her, it's just..."

"She worries a lot about you, doing that is only going to make her worry more. You promised to protect her, but you aren't really keeping that promise, you know."

"I know, and I hate myself for that. I just want her to smile, and I know she will be worried if she knows I'm in pain, that's why I always try to hide it, so she doesn't worry about me." Momo confessed.

"And what is the use of that? Would you hide something like that from me? Or dad?"

"No." Momo bit her lip.

"Then what's so different about her?"

"I..." Momo stopped before she would say something she didn't want to. "I know everything she has been through, and I want to do everything I can to make her happy. You don't know how much it hurts to see her crying... I like her a lot."

Sana smiled and grabbed her hand, making Momo raised her head to look back at Sana's kind eyes.

"I don't really know how Mina was able to change you so much, but I'm happy to see you act more humble and honest. Just be careful, you like her so much you might as well fall in love with her." Sana stuck her tongue out.

Momo's eyes couldn't widen any more. Sana was just joking, right? She didn't know, there was no way. She couldn't be that obvious.

It wasn't Sana's intention, but that very sentence she said only to pick on her got Momo to finally release the sadness inside her. She burst out in uncontrollable tears, hiding her face in her hands. Sana panicked and grabbed her arms.

"M-Momo, what happened?!"

"I am in love with her, Sana, that's what happened!"

Sana froze.

"W-What...?" A whisper passed through her lips.

"I'm so madly in love with her, and I..." Momo took her hands from her face and stared back at Sana's widen eyes. "I kissed her. I. ing. KISSED HER, SANA!"

Momo sobbed and Sana couldn't even give her a proper reaction. She didn't think such an inoffensive joke would come down to this.

"M-Momo, calm down. I-I'm sorry, I d-didn't know." Sana grabbed her hands. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Sana gave her sister a bit to calm down and stop the sobs so she could explain herself. Everything since the beginning. How she hopelessly fell in love with Mina but tried so hard to fight it back, how she couldn't stop herself from kissing her the day before and how Mina kissed her back.

Her sister listened to everything attentively and in the end, she had no words.

"You know that I love you and I just want you to be happy, right?" Sana asked, squeezing Momo's hands, and she nodded with a small smile. "If your happiness is with Mina, I can only support you and tell you to fight for it."

Momo stared at Sana, her eyes showing shock and relief at the same time.

"But... You know you have something to take care of..." Sana hesitated and Momo nodded, looking away from Sana's eyes. She knew too well what Sana was talking about. "You need to tell Jungwon."

---

A/N: I said more drama would be coming kekekeke :P