CHAPTER EIGHT- Firelight Duel

Flame & Flicker

Baekhyun didn't talk but he has been noticing Chanyeol's different actions. He could tell that he was not okay. He had been observing his eyes that still looked the same. Chanyeol was trying to look okay and yes, he was successful but not on Baekhyun who is keen on these things.

Chanyeol has been using less energy than he does always. He has been clumsy, though it was hardly seen. He was shaking. He was cold. Baekhyun was worried about it but Chanyeol just shrugged it okay.

"Are you sure that you want to continue?" asked Baekhyun.

Chanyeol, with a clue of being annoyed, since Baekhyun had repeated that almost a hundred times. Eyebrows furrowed and an uneasy smile, "Baek, I'm fine. How many times do you have to ask that?" he asked.

Baekhyun shifted on his seat to face Chanyeol that was beside him. He took a better look on those orbs he once saw aflame and alive, not now.

"You're lying." Baekhyun said straight-facedly.

Chanyeol scoffed, shifted his seat also, looked directly into his eyes and with a piercing tune he said, "I'm not lying."

Baekhyun couldn't resist but to argue with it, "Was that because of what happened in the morning? You're not telling me something and it-it-!"

Baekhyun was silenced when Chanyeol held his face with both of his hands. His hands were abnormally cold for a Fire. Baekhyun took hold of it with his own hands.

"I said it, I'm fine."

Chanyeol slipped out of Baekhyun's grip. He headed for the battle field. The color of his outfit reflected what's most of the place. There was a white noise coming from the area's ventilation. Baekhyun adjusted the mask on his face before stepping forward.

"How should we start?" Baekhyun asked uncertainly.

Chanyeol signed to wait. He suddenly exploded into flames and his everyday outfit was changed into a battle gear. Baekhyun was startled by it and frowned.

"Hey, you're unfair." he whined.

Chanyeol wore a smug smile and walked across the red flame markings on the floor while Baekhyun did the same parallel to each other.

Chanyeol responded, "We are advised to switch into these when having duels. Don't you have some?"

Baekhyun chuckled humbly, withdrawing from the action, "I'm sorry, I'm not a Royalty." he replied sarcastically.

Chanyeol laughed, "I'm sorry. I'm just joking." he stopped the act and smacked his lips, "But I'm going to keep this, because Light is stronger than Fire. Right?"

"Well then, " Baekhyun nodded, "let's start."

They walked three steps on the circle then across its radius. Bowed while looking at each other. They returned in their gap of a meter. Chanyeol and Baekhyun had a minute of sensing each other of who will attack first.

"What now?" Baekhyun questioned.

"I'll go first." Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun failed to hear it. But the popping sound made him dodge the first ball of fire coming of Chanyeol.

"Now." Chanyeol declared.

Baekhyun skipped and slalomed through fireballs. Chanyeol threw about ten. Each crack and crunch as they hit the floor. Baekhyun rested with one knee and gazed at Chanyeol who was panting.

"Great. You're good." Chanyeol wiped his sweat at his forehead, he clasped his hand on the other, with a warning tone, "Let's see if you'll avoid this."

He suddenly threw a flame. Baekhyun had back stepped, eyes wide, he dived to a side when Chanyeol summoned a fire that was bigger than a large bonfire to pitch at him.

Baekhyun rolled on his knees and zipped like a light through Chanyeol. Chanyeol was astounded when a flash of light appeared in front of him. The place out. The sunlight passed through the battle dome's large exhaust fan. Those thick smoke created by the fire was by it.

Chanyeol stayed very still.

Baekhyun extended a glowing palm and shot a light ray at Chanyeol but he missed it for he sidestepped in a fast way. He wasn't able to catch it. Chanyeol took revenge by shooting back but they were able to prevent each damage.

Baekhyun continuously fired rays that just whacked the wall behind Chanyeol. It seemed like a Christmas light that constantly flashed at the dark hall. Chanyeol cunningly escaped all those radiances. He also continuously made a payback by blasting flames. Baekhyun also avoided conversely.

There came a time where they had both summoned their power beams. Chanyeol held the Fire Beam attack which glowed a hot searing flame-colored beam, while Baekhyun shot a sore looking incandescent white beam or the Light Beam from his palm. Both impelled and was connected to each other that sounded like an active electric wire, zapping, snapping and buzzing while they find their way to took each other down.

At the middle of their interaction, their beams seemed to bond each other. Light swirling with fire. Sunset mixing with dawn. Both were astonished and chose to stare at the beautiful affinity which glowed, sparked and danced.

The two ended the connection and had stared at each other before they duelled again. Baekhyun snapped his fingers, summoning the lights to do their work to confuse Chanyeol. They went on and off until Baekhyun looked like a lurking ghost ascending in Chanyeol's eyes. Baekhyun attacked, Chanyeol made a blast of fire as a response that sent Baekhyun ten feet away.

"Baekhyun!" Chanyeol shouted.

Baekhyun heard it faintly. The lights stayed on. He coughed through the smoke that the attack gave. He slowly rose on the floor, checking if something was wrong.

"Stop." Baekhyun commanded when he heard the other running to him, he stopped. Baekhyun moaned, "You know the rules." he took a grasp of his abdomen when it ached, overlooking that it was bare.

His shirt was burned. It revealed half of his body. His abdomen area was partially scorched. Without being hindered by the pain, Baekhyun stood up firm on the ground, positively brave, he zapped Chanyeol with a bright beam of light.

Chanyeol collapsed on the ground, his armour gave a low clatter as it fell on the ground.

Did he just hit him?

Did he just.

.

Baekhyun rushed to Chanyeol in a flash of light. He turned him front and was relieved to find him alive and not hurt. Baekhyun cursed himself, slapped Chanyeol's arm and cried at Chanyeol's chest. He was so worried about him.

"I hate you! This is what I'm telling you!" Baekhyun said.

Chanyeol grasped Baekhyun's shoulder and chuckled weakly, "I needed to." he smiled.

"You needed to what?" snapped Baekhyun.

"Fight..to see your face."

Baekhyun groaned in irritation, "Chanyeol, that's craziest thing someone would do. You know, I could show you my face anytime. But what if I'll lose you? Can I get you back in time?" he nagged.

Baekhyun was not aware of what he was saying again. But it was what he feel. Chanyeol was just looking back at him. Baekhyun was so angry, he would choke Chanyeol if it's alright.

"You were worried." Chanyeol mumbled, eyes failing to stay open.

Baekhyun was already flaming, "Who on earth will not be worried about you?" he glared at Chanyeol.

Chanyeol lifted up his hand. A tiny flame came from his hand before it fell limp on the floor.

.*.

Chanyeol wouldn't forget that feeling.

That feeling when Baekhyun was hugging him. It felt warm and loving.

Baekhyun fell asleep beside Chanyeol and he didn't knew how. He remembered it when he saw his battle gears in front of him. His powers got completely drained a while ago. Perhaps, it was the Heat Consume ability of Light that absorbs heat energy to have the light energy that they use in fighting.

He felt severely exhausted. Like what he felt after Baekhyun had absorbed his heat. This was the first time he experienced this, he had thought of calling Lay but he thought that he would be alright.

He just felt so drained that he fell asleep again with Baekhyun's arm wrapped around him.


It was eight in the evening. Chanyeol squinted his eyes at the wall clock in front of him. His battle gears were gone. He felt hot–no–he was now hot. However, there was no warmth around him. Only his thick blanket. And he felt much better.

A slow creeping fright came to him upon thinking that the little man wasn't beside him. His sudden sit up made his world spin before standing off his bed. Tangled by his blankets, he skipped through it and found the door open.

Baekhyun, wearing his own black shirt that looked large on him, came in the room bringing a tray of food. He closed the door by his heel and was surprised to see him standing.

"Oh, Yeol. How do you feel?" he exclaimed.

Chanyeol felt shy and chose to question him why does he have to do that.

"You did the same thing to me. I owe you this." Baekhyun answered brilliantly.

"But you must not." Chanyeol denied, "I can do it myself. You must not owe something like that to me."

"Why not?" Baekhyun frowned.

"Because I don't want you getting bothered about me." said Chanyeol while jumping out from the blankets, he grabbed the tray and placed it at his bedside table.

Then Chanyeol pointed at Baekhyun's face. His finger inches away from it. Baekhyun was curling away slowly. With a stern look, Chanyeol touched Baekhyun's chin with his thumb.

"Don't whine."

Chanyeol stayed still there, towering over the whimpering tiny man. He released his chin and smiled in triumph.

"I hate you." Baekhyun pouted.

Chanyeol just smirked back. He went to his bed. A familar pile of clothes caught his eye. He picked the topmost blue shirt and showed it to Baekhyun with a questioned look.

"I-I.." Baekhyun was fidgeting his hands with his large shirt, he seemed reluctant or shy to say something, "I was looking for a shirt that will fit.." he pointed to Chanyeol's pink shirt.

"And you think that this shirt looked good on me?" Chanyeol eased not to laugh, instead he raised an eyebrow for a playful scorn.

"Yes." Baekhyun had a small smile and hinted for the tray of dinner at the small table.

Chanyeol gazed at the served food and was surprised, "Where did you get this?" he asked with a puzzled face, he swung the shirt to point at it.

Baekhyun motioned his head outside, "I sneaked through the kitchen." he said.

Chanyeol thought. He had never experienced being treated like this by Sehun. Instead, he kept his natural romantic attitude towards him though it was never exchanged even with a little concern. Sometimes, they would go out and Sehun would cuddle him sweetly for answers but it was rare.

"Can I hug you?" Chanyeol blurted out. He didn't expect that coming. He saw Baekhyun's shocked reaction to it.

Unexpectedly, Baekhyun grimaced, "No, you can't." he was slowly bending. Chanyeol was alerted and ran to him to help him.

"Why?" asked Chanyeol, a familiar creep of concern devouring him, looking into his pained eyes. Baekhyun moaned softly. It was a grimace of pain.

Baekhyun took a deep breath before replying, "You've hit me, right? It's painful again and-AH!"

Chanyeol gently brought Baekhyun to the bed, he sat him there, observing him before he racked for the first aid kit hidden at his room. Chanyeol knelt in front of Baekhyun, face facing chest, he bent his head lower as his hands slowly lifted his shirt up.

Chanyeol was alarmed to see his wound fresh and severe looking. The vehement explosion he made a while ago flashed in his mind that made his heart beat fast in worry. His flesh seemed to be slashed three times with a hot sword. Gashed and burned, the injury was swollen. Baekhyun let out a sharp gasp of pain while he hugged Chanyeol's head.

"I-It hurts." Baekhyun muttered.

Ever since Baekhyun came to his life, there came many surprises. Chanyeol was again startled by Baekhyun's embrace. His own scent from his own shirt that Baekhyun wore still lingered. Baekhyun's locked his head into an embrace that showed he was scared. Steady rapid breathing of the pained one was felt by his hair, pain sensed by the brain and pain felt by his heart.

"I'm sorry." Chanyeol whispered.

For seconds, he remained inside Baekhyun's embrace. After that, Chanyeol gently pushed Baekhyun where he could lift up his shirt and look at his wound again. He made a knot on his large shirt to have a better look on it. Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun's pouting face, then back at the wound.

"Why didn't you tell me this?" Chanyeol asked in a soft voice.

Baekhyun made a slightly disappointed sound, "You were unconscious all day, and I also knew that you were aware of it."

Chanyeol was too occupied seeing Baekhyun's burn. He felt a strong remorse enveloping him tightly until he's going to explode to tears. It's a stupid of him to ask such question especially it's his fault.

It's his fault.

Chanyeol snapped out of his thoughts. He chose start the disinfection.

"This is going to sting, alright?" Chanyeol warned gently.

With a disinfecting cotton on his fingers, he carefully dabbed it on the wound. Chanyeol was expecting Baekhyun's grip on his shoulders when he did this. Baekhyun moaned in pain, winced, nails digging on his shoulders.

His moan was something different for Chanyeol, but he quickly expelled it on his mind.

Hushing him, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'll be gentle." he said in a soft tone.

Baekhyun bit his lower lip and lightened his grip on the other's shoulders. Chanyeol was glad he was able to finish cleaning it and bind it with a bandage after soft sounds of complain, soft whimpers and small moans.

"Yeol-ah?" Baekhyun called.

Chanyeol, shocked by the another new name, suddenly looked up at him, "W-What?"

Baekhyun appeared much okay than a while ago. He pursed his lips before asking, "Who won the deal?"

"Oh." Chanyeol reacted, he paused to think.

Chanyeol won the first challenge. He won the second one. The third one was the hard one to declare who won. At the duel, he faints, so that just means, Baekhyun won the third one.

So, he wasn't able to win to see his face.

"You won." Chanyeol claimed, "I'll do whatever you want."

Baekhyun suddenly beamed up and smiled.

"I want you, to see my face tomorrow."

 

 

 

***

Started: December 12, 2016

Finished: January 6, 2017

A/N: Surprise! ^^ A surprise update just for you. ;) Guess what, I edited this while having our graduation practice. :'D Sorry guys, give me a little more time and I'll be posting regularly. :) Thank you for understanding and thanks for being patient! <3 I love you guys. :'*

Yeo_Na