CHAPTER ONE- Ray of Incidence

Flame & Flicker

A woman approaches. Her arms full of wounds, legs with bruises. But she still had maintained her posture. She was wearing a long tattered gray gown that seemed to be very beautiful before. There were parts that were burned, sleeves that were torn and layers went out of place. She was with a silvery-white crown infested with diamonds that showed luster by the moonlight.

She was the Queen of Light.

Carrying a bundle of fabric in her arms, crying, she placed it down near a withered tree. Covered in those fabric was a beautiful boy in his two years.

"I'm sorry." the Queen sobbed, "I'll come back for you."

The baby reached out a hand to touch her mother's cheek. The poor baby wasn't aware of anything–very innocent. He didn't know the reason behind his mother's tears that he was wiping with his hand.

"Light of Theia, I summon you
to guide this child."

As the Queen chanted those words, the stars in the sky came down gradually. They formed a swirl of light above the tree and around until it reached the ground. The Moon looked like it was listening as it shone so bright.

"Remind him of harm,
keep him safe and warm.
Let your light take care of him,
his light shall never dim.
Let his light be mighty,
shall stand to protect those who are needy.
If I will not be able to come back,
remind him please.."

She paused to sigh, observing her child's eyes twinkle and lips smile.

"..that life is happy, even though it so hard as it can be."

She moved forward and kissed the boy's forehead.

"Happy birthday, Baekhyun."

.*.

In the small room painted with an icy blue background with carvings of snowflakes at its bronze ceiling, there lived a little boy. Other than the boy, there were about five furnitures there that occupies that, all with a touch of blue–out if with none, with white.

A light shone from the closed windows of the room. It was about 9AM. The kid was lying on his white painted bed with a thick comforter that covered him, beside that bed was a big window with the view of the neighbor kingdom.

"Baekhyun. Yah! Hyung!"

The little boy muttered as his sleep slowly abandoned him. Snuggling inside his thick sheets, it was so cold. He could feel the winter breeze whispering him to wake up. The window must be open.

The window.

Baekhyun shot right up upon thinking about the window. Kyungsoo was there standing at the window pane, with a red box on his hand, he climbed down and shutted the wooden windows close. Baekhyun beamed happily at him.

"Happy birthday Baekhyun!" Kyungsoo exclaimed loudly, beaming back at him.

"Shh!" Baekhyun shushed and laughed silently.

Kyungsoo playfully slapped his own mouth and handed over the red box tied with a white ribbon. Baekhyun curiously looked at it and even asked if that was really his.

"Go, open it." Kyungsoo whispered excitedly.

Baekhyun took the box and pulled out the ribbon, he opened it and saw a black thing with two holes in it for the eyes, it was simple but elegantly made.

A masquerade.

"For what?" Baekhyun questioned.

For four years, Baekhyun hadn't seen a thing outside the place he is in, aside from the view outside his window, the frosty blue snowflake-printed wallpapers of the castle and the icy blue furniture. Now that he was eight years old, he was looking forward on seeing the outside world. Looking forward to see more colors other than blue that just made him sadder and alone.

The Ice Queen hid him, though he never saw her. He was having a home school every 3PM of the day and eats at the right time, so he never thought that the royalities hate him. From what he had known, the Ice royalties found him after a war between the blood feud Fire and Ice which affected the New World. Baekhyun knew that his power was Light when he tried to summon a star late at night. However, the child was dead innocent, he never knew anything, never knew about the life, never knew but to watch the winter scene over and over again.

"We are going outside." Kyungsoo smiled at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun's eyes widened as he heard the word "outside" and even fell back to his bed, imagining all the things he would see.

"I found that at my friend's house, he said that it only work for Lights." Kyungsoo lied down beside Baekhyun, both of them staring at the ceiling.

"Do you think it will work with me?" Baekhyun looked at Kyungsoo with a hopeful face.

"Let's try it." Kyungsoo looked back at him with the same expression.

Baekhyun stood up and grabbed the mask from the box, he wore it and jumped down from the bed.

"Kyungsoo, how do I look?" Baekhyun posed at Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo sat up and wore a confused look. Scratching his head, "Where'd you go?" he was looking around like Baekhyun gone invisible.

"You can't see me?" Baekhyun asked, marching over the tall mirror beside the door.

Kyungsoo gazed around the room and gasped when he caught a glance of the mirror.

"You're inside the mirror!" Kyungsoo shouted while pointing at the mirror.

Baekhyun looked at his hands, he could see himself but why couldn't Kyungsoo see him?

"Can you command to show yourself?" Kyungsoo wondered.

Baekhyun thought of revealing himself and Kyungsoo gasped again. Kyungsoo roused happily and clapped his hands in amazement.

"It did! It's brilliant!" Kyungsoo hopped beside him and was smiling brightly.

Baekhyun couldn't imagine what would be his life without that boy. All the way from the Earth Kingdom, the Earth Young Prince, Kyungsoo. He treated him special that he had never felt before. If it wasn't because of Kyungsoo's curiosity to find him during his visit at Ice's, he wasn't able to have him.

The birthday boy was starting to have a check-list inside his head about what is he going to do in his first day of going outside.

He was grinning widely at the mirror while looking at Kyungsoo when he said, "Where are we going?"

Kyungsoo smiled back with that i've-planned-something look, "Come with me."

.*.

Chanyeol was curious about the feeling of being alone without those nasty nurses following him around from the time he wakes up until the time that he sleeps. He just wished that when he turned eight, there will be some freedom.

Maybe being a Young Prince wasn't easy.

Chanyeol knew how his parents worked for the kingdom as the Grand Prince and Princess of Fire. He was aware that someday he will be like them. They lacked quality time together but he was so loved.

Using the hatch door he made, while he was left alone during the servants' break, he escaped to their neighbor kingdom.

The Earth Kingdom.

Its name derieved from a living planet nearby that had influenced their world a lot. Everything was the same, but they have kingdoms, the New World or the EXO Planet was extremely beautiful, much disciplined and they have powers. Its inhabitants had never tried to travel the Earth, but the humans had tried. Unfortunately, they were not able to come back to Earth.

Anyways, Chanyeol received news from the Earth Kingdom about their new attraction.

Chanyeol crossed secretly at the small gate that connects the two kingdoms, swimming through tall villagers, despite his height being a child, he arrived at the back of the kingdom where the place is there. It was located inside a glass box with lots of greeneries. In his curiousity, he sneaked inside by simply entering at the back door.

A breath-taking sight pulled him in, it deeply captured him. The place was wider inside despite of its small outside look. A big golden sign hung above the golden front gate with the cursive letters "Earth Garden" carved on it.

"Earth Garden." Chanyeol read, amazed by the scene it gave.

There were no people, but there were lots of green–trees, bushes, flowers–they're everywhere. There were little birds that chirped a cheerful tune. There was a bridge over a mini pond that reflected the morning's sky above. At the left side, there was a small waterfall that flows to a river that extends to the north side of the garden.

Chanyeol ran further inside with the overwhelming excitement, hoping that he could share that feeling too. He would like to play with someone as long as there's one. He thought that he would be alone for a moment.

It was an hour later. Chanyeol got exhausted in exploring the garden. He wished he could swim at the river and got splashed by the waterfall. He exhaled and stood above the bridge, admiring the exquisitely carved bars and abutment that was seen through the water.

The place was silent and Chanyeol can only hear his breathing and the breezing wind. The gust of the wind startled him from staring at the sky back to the pond. Seeing more than the bridge and the sky in the rippled water, he saw a kid.

He spotted a child, gazing far. Chanyeol percieved the reality, there was no one who owned the reflection on the surface. He felt a cold ran through his body. Chanyeol blinked at the reflection again, and it was looking at him.

Chanyeol ran down the bridge and stopped short beside the reflection in the water. He can now see his reflection with the other one. Leaning over, he observed the image of the boy. The boy was wearing a black masquerade that doesn't fit his eyes due to its size so that he wasn't able to catch his face, bearing a white buttoned-up shirt and khaki shorts, he was shorter and slimmer than he was.

"Hi!" the boy in the reflection suddenly appeared beside him, greeted Chanyeol that almost fell into the water in shock but the kid had held him.

Heaving, Chanyeol regained his posture and stared at the other, moon-eyed.

He had lay his eyes on him, smiling so sweetly and slowly, baring his white teeth and eyes twinkling. The sunlight was shining on his face. Although he was wearing a mask. Was it really slow? Was he really that shining? Or it was just some kind of an endearing effect? He smiled like he was so adorable.

Really, he was.

Chanyeol gulped and blinked at the latter many times before asking a question, "How did you do that?" he felt his voice became thick.

The smile didn't left his face, he answered, "I'm a Light, though I'm invisible, our incidence ray still won't go unseen."

"W-What?" Chanyeol asked innocently, he didn't know what he was talking about.

"You know, light travels in a form of ray that hits a surface, that ray that hits the surface is called the incidence ray." he explained, "Since I'm a Light, we have that thing called internal light. It was its doing why my reflection is still seen on the pond." he looked back to the pond and viewed his image.

Chanyeol responded with an ahh in obtaining such kind of knowledge from the boy, sticking more closer, he said, "That was amazing, I didn't know Lights have that."

He gazed back at Chanyeol, now that they have their faces inches away. "But sometimes, what you see in the image is virtual." The boy giggled and stared back again at the water. The both had themselves loving to see their reflection in the water.

"It seems to be there, but it's not really there."

Those was the mysterious boy's last words until a rock seemed to be thrown at the body of water. Chanyeol was surprised to know that the boy was now gone and only his fleeting reflection was the thing he detected.

Chanyeol left there alone again. A creep of cold hugging him. The sun wasn't shining and it became incredibly quiet. He wished to see more of that magical incidence.

 

 

 

***

Started: November 6, 2016

Finished: November 11, 2016

A/N: So, yeah! :D I think it feels lacking but it's still the first chapter~ I should be posting this on January 8, but I guess it will be my late Christmas gift to you and to myself. :'D I really wanted to post this. :( Oh well. :)

Bye for now~ <3

Yeo_Na