CHAPTER SIX- Heat Absorbed

Flame & Flicker

Chanyeol found Baekhyun cute. Not just cute, very cute. Recalling the times Baekhyun nibbles at his food before pouting, the way he looked so shy and the way he smiles beneath that eye mask. He was just so cute–he just loves it–he wanted to keep him.

Chanyeol was shocked upon hearing the next balcony door burst up with someone crying and crawling to the ground. Baekhyun shared what he felt. Baekhyun told him that he got a nightmare. Chanyeol was able to comfort him by simply talking to him until he fell back asleep.

While sitting on the parapet of the deck, Baekhyun fell asleep lying on Chanyeol's lap without knowing.

And Chanyeol was now smiling because of that.

Of course, he wanted everything to be special. Chanyeol had woken up early and prepared Baekhyun's breakfast himself.

Chanyeol slowly closed the door using his right heel as he balanced the tray on his hand. He gently placed the tray at the bedside table then sat beside the sleeping boy.

He haven't seen his face yet.

He resisted the temptation of pulling off the man's mask. Chanyeol had eased it when he carried Baekhyun back to his bed and changed his outfit. He knew that Baekhyun might get mad at him when knowing he changed his clothes, however, he didn't do anything bad. Chanyeol valued his privacy, that's why he was able to resist the act.

Chanyeol gazed at Baekhyun like he was Aurora. He thought that maybe he was too early or maybe the other really wakes up late. It's still 6AM, Chanyeol thought of walking him up.

He didn't need that anymore.

Baekhyun screamed upon seeing Chanyeol.

"Why do I always give you surprises?" he chuckled at guy's reaction.

Baekhyun looked at his clothes, he was shocked. He touched his mask, he was shocked again. Turning to Chanyeol, he stood up at the bed, towering over him.

"You saw something, didn't you?" Baekhyun rasped, pointing his finger at him.

Chanyeol looked up at Baekhyun with wide eyes as he tried to look innocent–he was, really. He stood up to balance his height to the fuming other. He raised his hands in defense.

"I swear, I didn't do anything-!"

"-don't lie!"

Baekhyun was mad. Chanyeol knew it and was expecting it. He blocked the slaps that Baekhyun started to give until he was able to held his arm. Behind the masquerade, Baekhyun's eyes were tearing up while looking down at Chanyeol and he was frowning cutely.

"I'm sorry." Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun slapped away Chanyeol's hands. Chanyeol tried to held him again but Baekhyun held his arms. It was a bit tight. Baekhyun's hands were hot. Perhaps, he was flaming up in anger. Other than that, Chanyeol felt something draining.

Draining.

Draining him.

It's like.

"What-wha..why.."

Chanyeol out.

.*.

Baekhyun screamed again upon seeing the guy slammed on the floor unconscious. He looked at his shaking hands. Oh god. What had he done? His hands flew to his mouth in horror, he hurried to Chanyeol on the floor.

"Chanyeol!" he shouted, "Chanyeol! I'm sorry! I-I!"

Baekhyun bent over to hear his breathing and to look if his chest is rising. It does. He touched his neck and god, he was cold. What had he done?, it was the question on his head, making him cold, making him guilty and making him go nuts.

He bit his lower lip hard, Baekhyun thought it would bleed. He focused on gaining energy from the morning sunlight that shone on him through the windows then mentally transporting some of those to Chanyeol.

He hoped it will work. Chanyeol is a Fire and he is a Light. Baekhyun forgot that Light had the ability to absorb heat from Fire, diluting them, making them as Light's strength. In spite of the both of them gaining the power from heat, Light has been present in Fire that it couldn't get anywhere.

It doesn't work. Baekhyun was crying. He didn't know what will happen to Chanyeol after what had he done. He was calling him, he was calling his name. 

Chanyeol, Chanyeol and Chanyeol.

Baekhyun failed to realize he was hugging him before Chanyeol muttered out loudly.

"Chanyeol!" Baekhyun exclaimed.

Chanyeol's eyes opened a moment but it fluttered close again. Baekhyun was getting scared.

"Chanyeol." he repeated, almost singing his name.

He breathed out, "B-Baekhyun.." he said weakly.

"Omo. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that. I-"

"-can I ask you something?"

Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol's face, stunned.

"Anything, Yeol. Anything."

Chanyeol's eyes opened and Baekhyun was now looking in those enfeebled irises that was his doing.  His eyes just hit him, it added more guilt to his heart.

"Stay with me." Chanyeol said, it was a whisper. Baekhyun had seen in those eyes and the sober tune that he really needed to stay.

Yes. Baekhyun was moved by it. He decided to stay. He considered it as an exchange for what Chanyeol had did to him. Baekhyun got determined to stay.

Meanwhile, Chanyeol was smiling.

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol as if he was fooled. There was a twist of playful mockery on his smile that made Baekhyun think he was just joking.

"Are you just pretending?" Baekhyun spat out, glaring, he withdrew from the close distance he made.

Chanyeol laughed, "I wasn't!" he sat up almost slowly, "What did you do to me?"

Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol for a couple of minutes before answering, "I don't know." he hugged his knees then looked down on his hands.

"Baekhyun." Chanyeol bent his head to look at his face, he called in a soft manner, "It's okay."

Baekhyun pouted and looked at Chanyeol. He was filled with concern, "Are you alright?" he responded in the same manner.

"Don't worry about me."

"But I had hurt you."

They were whispering to each other like the world was so silent and they are the one who can understand each other. Chanyeol stood up clumsily and almost fell before settling himself on the door. His body bumped a loud bang at the before looking back at Baekhyun again.

"You should eat. I prepared your breakfast for you."

Baekhyun gazed at the tray above the bedside table and examined its savory contents. He turned again to the door when it slammed close with Chanyeol gone.

Was he mad at him?

It left Baekhyun an algid feeling. Like what he felt back where he belong. It was like he was at the Ice Castle. That feeling of being blue and lonely, it was something that he was used to. He was used to instant happiness, when Kyungsoo was visiting him once a week, it was so instant.

When will it be long and how tedious is it to wait?

Baekhyun realized he was still wearing his mask. How long is he going to wear this mask? Where he could trust someone? And he could show himself? Baekhyun threw his tearstained mask. It's color has been fading, from black to strong gray, he felt pitiful.

He thinks he's weak. Perhaps, this was the thing that he didn't want to admit, he really long for love and acceptance.


Baekhyun finished the last knot of his mask. He stared at his reflection at the mirror, observing how his mask fits his face now. The way it conceals his eyes and reshape his nose makes him feel like it really belonged to him. He was now wearing his clothes that he worn before having those pajamas. He fixed his hair and gave the room a last look before marching out of the room.

There was Chanyeol in his daily prince outfit, standing at the end of the hallway. Baekhyun slowly walked to him and poked his back using his finger.

Chanyeol turned to him, seeming shocked, "You're done eating breakfast?" he asked.

"Yes." Baekhyun looked around, trying to avoid the man's gaze, "Actually, I was planning to go home now. I feel better and-"

"-fine. If that's what you wish."

Chanyeol suddenly broke in. Baekhyun didn't understand. Before he didn't want him to leave. Now, he was allowing him. Baekhyun remembered the time he concurred in Chanyeol's condition to stay. He doesn't know if Chanyeol decided not to expect. But his eyes.

While Chanyeol was looking down at him, Baekhyun had examined his eyes. His eyes glowering down at him made him look very small and frail. The effect of what he had done, the debilitation of those two irises, was still there. Other than that, something sullen and lone was flashing in his eyes every time he blinks made Baekhyun believe that he really needed to stay.

His mind says to go home, but his heart says to stay.

"Thank you." Baekhyun blurted out since he can't say anything anymore, it was stiffly awkward and mixed with unsureness, "For everything."

Baekhyun turned back around. He wasn't able to see Chanyeol's face. He kept walking without looking back. He didn't want to witness Chanyeol's reaction to it. Maybe he would looked hurt and Baekhyun just wanted to stay. Baekhyun wandered through halls while figuring out its exit.

Although, he was not sure about where he was going, he went on.

At the Ice Castle, he was used to the place where he was. He knew every turns and straights because the place is just small. Unlike this castle, it was wide and complicated. Baekhyun regretted not having Chanyeol to bring him out.

Every corridors seemed the same, same things, same colors but had different frames of paintings. Each door leads to a mystery that Baekhyun wanted to enter to explore. He doesn't know what may be inside, yet it tickles his curiosity.

He must be a floor above the Royalty Hall. The candles on the end deck of the tract reminded him of where did he ate dinner with Chanyeol. Baekhyun was close to the next staircase when a door opened as he crossed it. The astonishment caused him to halt and went inside the room.

There was a classic grand piano that sits alone in the small room. A window at its side allowed the sun to emit light to the area. Baekhyun was glad to see it. At the Servant's Tower, there was an old piano stuck down at its basement. Baekhyun usually spent his time there, discovering notes from a piano book and then composing songs that he made by connecting the notes together.

He was fund of making music. So, Baekhyun positioned himself at the piano, caressing the white keys before, softly, he played the piano with a sweet tune.

.*.

Chanyeol hates it. He hates the fact that he's leaving.

He wasn't pretending, everything was real. He fainted. His voice faltered. He was weakened. Even his request was real. However, there was something in Baekhyun that caused him to smile like that.

Baekhyun was screaming, Chanyeol. His name. Chanyeol could hear it faintly. It slowly held his consciousness back to him like a hand reaching out. He was concerned, he got nervous and it just gives Chanyeol's stomach thousand of butterflies.

Chanyeol decided that he must leave Baekhyun to let him eat his breakfast peacefully without seeing him. He thought that maybe seeing him, he will be uncomfortable. However, it was part of the reality that he needed to throw up at his comfort room because he felt nauseous after the accidental attack.

He wasn't feeling well.

Chanyeol was also shocked of what he had said. It took him minutes before it slapped back on him like a rubber band, it hurts. He wanted to take it back but he doesn't know where is he now. Chanyeol looked for him in hallways for minutes.

There was a sound coming from his piano.

No one plays his piano but him. Chanyeol was the only one in his family who was fund of music and composing. He was curious to find out. He walked towards the room.

Chanyeol stopped when he heard the sound of somewhat knights marching at the opposite side. He quickly glanced in the room. It was Baekhyun and there were knights coming. The sound stopped. Baekhyun seemed alarmed. Chanyeol teleported inside the room as Baekhyun was about the leave the room.

Chanyeol appeared behind him. He covered Baekhyun's mouth with his hand and hid him inside the room.

"Don't. Scream." Chanyeol whispered firmly as Baekhyun took grasp of his hand.

Chanyeol eyed the corridor sideways. He could feel Baekhyun's fast breathing passing through his thumb and his fast heartbeat by his other hand which secured him.

 

 

 

***

Started: December 1, 2016

Finished: December 8, 2016

A/N: Again, it was a loooonngg delay. >.< I'm so sorry. :( I think I would be updating late because I'm struggling with a chapter. But, I'll try my best. ;) No, I'll do my best. :D Thanks guys. <3

Yeo_Na